Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Stairway To Heaven

Stairway To Heaven is always ranked in the top 3 of all time greatest rock songs. Maybe the song is over my head or to deep for me to understand. I find it very long and boring. Could someone explain whats so great about the song?

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow

Don't be alarmed now

It's just a spring clean for the May Queen

Yes there are two paths you can go by

but in the long run

There's still time to change the road you're on

:banana: <_< :banana:

And it makes me wonder.

LED ZEPPELIN To Be Inducted Into UK MUSIC HALL OF FAME - Sep. 12, 2006

Australian retro-rockers WOLFMOTHER will perform a tribute to LED ZEPPELIN at the upcoming UK Music Hall of Fame ceremony, according to Undercover News. Whether they will play a ZEPPELIN tune or one of their own remains unclear.

LED ZEPPELIN is set to be inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame in November, alongside BRIAN WILSON, DUSTY SPRINGFIELD and ROD STEWART. Famed BEATLES producer Sir George Martin will receive an honorary membership in recognition of his services to British music.

The event, which takes place on November 14 November at London's Alexandra Palace, will also feature a DUSTY SPRINGFIELD tribute, courtesy of PATTI LABELLE. Brian Wilson and Joss Stone will also perform. Artists that have previously been inducted include THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES, BOB DYLAN and JIMI HENDRIX.

:blink:

There are many mythological references to a stairway to Heaven. The idea of an "ascension" by a ladder, tree, bridge or rope is widespread throughout world mythology. The title itself comes from the Bible's description of Jacob's Ladder: Then he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the Earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. Genesis 28:12

The lyrics, written by Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant next to an evening log fire at Headley Grange, were partly spontaneously improvised. Jimmy Page was strumming the chords and Robert Plant had a pencil and paper. Plant later said that suddenly, "my hand was writing out the words, 'There's a lady is sure [sic], all that glitters is gold, and she's buying a stairway to Heaven'. I just sat there and looked at them and almost leapt out of my seat." Plant's own explanation of the lyrics was that it concerned "a woman getting everything she wanted without giving anything back". [3] The lyrical inspiration came to Plant by his search for spiritual perfection and a key influence was the book Magic Arts in Celtic Britain by Lewis Spence, which Plant had recently read; it contained references to May Queens, pipers, and "bustling hedgerows."

The many cryptic references in the song have inspired various proposals on possible allusions within Stairway to Heaven. One line, "In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees", could be a reference to William Wordsworth's poem Tintern Abbey: "...and wreaths of smoke / Sent up, in silence, from among the trees!" And the lines "There's a feeling I get when I look to the west / And my spirit is crying for leaving" may be a reference to the Elves in the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, specifically to departure of the Elves from Middle-earth for the immortal land in the West.[citation needed] All that glitters is gold is a reversal of the common saying All that glitters is not gold.

Bible bumpers probably :doublethumbsup:

Famous jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan recorded an instrumental cover of Stairway to Heaven where he simultaneously played two independent parts on one guitar with no overdubs. :doublethumbsup:

In solo work or with other groups, Jimmy Page would not let anyone but Robert Plant sing this, but he does play it as an instrumental on occasion.

Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones decided not to use a bass on this because it sounded like a folk song. Instead, he added a string section, keyboards and flutes. He also played wooden recorders that were used on the intro. Bonham's drums do not come in until 4:18.

Page felt Plant's lyrics were his best yet. He had him write all of Zeppelin's lyrics from then on.

This was the only song whose lyrics were printed on the album's inner sleeve.

Jimmy Page considers this a masterpiece, but Robert Plant does not share his fondness for the song. Plant has referred to it as a "wedding song" and insists that his favorite Led Zeppelin song is "Kashmir." After the band broke up, Plant refused to sing it except on rare occasions, including Live Aid.

For me, it's great because I remember always asking the hot chicks to slow dance with me during it at Junior High dances.

The song is nice and long and I could rub my chubby against their leg. :mad:

One word...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously though, this is a great song

Great song yes, but not even the best Zep tune, let alone top 3 all time.

No Quarter > Stairway

Kashmir > Stairway

:lol:

Because it's the ultimate rock song as far as surprises, dynamics, trippy lyrics, amazing guitar work, etc.

It's hard to listen to it anymore with a fresh set of ears, because it has almost become a parody of old-school rock.

But to hear that sh!t cranking out of your car speakers back in the early 1970s, it had a whole different, awe-inspiring feel to it.

I'm probably the biggest Led Zeppelin fan on this board, but I don't even have Led Zeppelin IV on CD, just because I've listened to it so much that it just doesn't have that old feel anymore.

But I can still get into a lot of their other stuff.

The only comparison I can think of is Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, in that the songs have been so played out that you have to take yourself back to remember what they were like.

That feeling when you first heard the song, and in Nirvana's case seeing that video...they are rare moments in music.

Guest Black Label Society
I'm probably the biggest Led Zeppelin fan on this board

You might be right, as I'm not the type to know every little tidbit about them.

But I have every album, including CODA, and all the recent releases (BBC, etc).

I became a led zeppelin fan when I stole a cassette tape from some dudes car when I was like 14.

it had Aerosmiths Greatest Hits on one side, and Zep 4 on the other.

I put in it, first song I heard (and had never heard before) was 4 sticks, and it blew me away.

About 3 months later, I signed up for columbia house, 11 tapes for a penny. Got every zep tape I could and never turned back.

I always thought Zeppelin was over-rated in general. I could never stand Plant's voice.

I always thought Zeppelin was over-rated in general. I could never stand Plant's voice.

:headbanger:

Because it's the ultimate rock song as far as surprises, dynamics, trippy lyrics, amazing guitar work, etc.

Exactly. The lyrics are just confusing/deep enough to make you think about what he is saying/trying to say. The guitar line is as clear and precise in it's writing as the lyrics. The intro draws you in as more of a story than a song, building up through the bridge, accumulating energy which is released for the last section and trails off with a perfect denouement that brings closure to the entire piece. Pure musical brilliance.

Compared to todays cookie cutter radio fare, I'm surprised more young people aren't finding Zep's library to be at least as popular as the 'new-old' rock like Wolfmother and the White Stripes.

Kashmir > Stairway

:pointstosky:

Yes, but then again they both are in my top 5 of all time.

:pointstosky:

Maybe the song is over my head or to deep for me to understand.

:lol:

I wouldn't even put it in a Top 10 Led Zeppelin Songs list.

Good Times Bad Times. Now there's a Zep tune.

:banana: :banana: :mad: :headbanger:

Better songs by Zep than Stairway:

No Quarter

Kashmir

D'yer Maker

4 Sticks

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Probably more, but these are the ones that spring to mind. :banana:

Guest Black Label Society
Better songs by Zep than Stairway:

No Quarter

Kashmir

D'yer Maker

4 Sticks

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

Probably more, but these are the ones that spring to mind. :(

Oh. c'mon......

Stairway was a musical masterpiece that STILL raises the hair on my arm when I listen to it.

Don't agree...but opinions are opinions.

My ten favorite LedZep songs:

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Ramble On

Gallows Pole

Ten Years Gone

Tangerine

Going to California

Hot Dog

That's The Way

The Rain Song

All My Love

They are indeed some of the greatest musicians the world has ever seen.