Sign in to follow this  
Brown Eyed Girl

I think the guy in the next office

I'm typing away at my computer and look up to see the H.R. Director and the General Mgr. standing in my doorway looking somberly at me.

H.R. Chickie - I hate to do this to you, but I need you to come with me.

BEG - :cry: Am I getting fired?

H.R. - No! I need you to witness something.

They take me to the office right next door and ask me to look inside to see the Safety/Environ. Mgr. sleeping at his desk. I glanced up, saw him and walked back to my desk knowing this was bad.

BEG - You're not going to fire him are you?

Gen.Mgr. - He's been talked to several times about this.

They go back into his office and proceed to wake him up and took him into H.R. where they are still.

I wish they hadn't involved me and I'm not sure why they even had to. He's a friend of mine and this puts me in an awkward position. I hope they don't call me in there. :huh:

I'm typing away at my computer and look up to see the H.R. Director and the General Mgr. standing in my doorway looking somberly at me.

H.R. Chickie - I hate to do this to you, but I need you to come with me.

BEG - B) Am I getting fired?

H.R. - No! I need you to witness something.

They take me to the office right next door and ask me to look inside to see the Safety/Environ. Mgr. sleeping at his desk. I glanced up, saw him and walked back to my desk knowing this was bad.

BEG - You're not going to fire him are you?

Gen.Mgr. - He's been talked to several times about this.

They go back into his office and proceed to wake him up and took him into H.R. where they are still.

I wish they hadn't involved me and I'm not sure why they even had to. He's a friend of mine and this puts me in an awkward position. I hope they don't call me in there. :(

Focker shouldn't have been sleeping.

oh yuck!! that sux....i guess they needed a witness, but i would think that the 2 of them would sufice? good luck B)

From a supervisory point of view - if he doesn't report to you then you shouldn't have been asked to be involved. Curious though - your supervisor hasn't questioned your surfing has he? Since he made it a point to say "we have addressed this before" I hope this wasn't an underhanded way to say get of the net.

From a supervisory point of view - if he doesn't report to you then you shouldn't have been asked to be involved. Curious though - your supervisor hasn't questioned your surfing has he? Since he made it a point to say "we have addressed this before" I hope this wasn't an underhanded way to say get of the net.

ya that is what i was thinking....seems weird...you might want to look into that...i am sure that it is kind of unethical to do that...those things should be done privately...

What do you say Blackclouds?

I am a Supervisor, but he does not report to me, no. Different department.

Now I'm wondering if his ethnicity isn't a reason to have a 3rd party witness, though. B)

And FYI, my immediate Supervisor/boss posts here as well. (neither of these 2)

HTH! :(

Now I'm wondering if his ethnicity isn't a reason to have a 3rd party witness, though. :(

HTH! :P

Considering the background, it is on the up and up then. I am VERY envious that you get to work with people who enjoy these forums as much as we do. PLUS, you get multiple warnings for sleeping. Well done.

Now I'm wondering if his ethnicity isn't a reason to have a 3rd party witness, though. :(

HTH! :P

You being a supervisor and him being a minority are DEFINIELY why and I would have done the same thing

They take me to the office right next door and ask me to look inside to see the Safety/Environ. Mgr. sleeping at his desk.

Is his name Homer and do you work at a nuclear power plant?

oh yuck!! that sux....i guess they needed a witness, but i would think that the 2 of them would sufice? good luck :(

Thanks.

Update: He came out about 15 minutes ago and is sitting back at his desk. They must have decided to just give him a final warning. I'm gonna wait a little while and go in there and have a chat with him.

Thing is... this has been an ongoing problem with him and in the past, I have sort of felt obligated to ring his phone when I hear him in there snoring - so as to wake him up before he gets caught. I obviously can't always do this, nor should I have to. He definitely has a problem. He's a great guy and hard worker otherwise, and I'd hate to see him lose his job over this, but if he can't pull it together, he's on his own.

:P

What do you say Blackclouds?

1. BEG spends WAYYYYYY too much time posting here.

2. I have witnessed the person in question sleeping prolly 30+ times. Could be much more. He is a good guy, but he also should've been terminated long ago. :(

3. I spend WAYYYYY too much time lurking here.

As many times as you have talked about him sleeping on here it does not surprise me. GL to him.

I don't really feel bad for him. He sits right outside the HR office and continues to sleep with his door open. Also, he is retired from the military so he is drawing a pension already.

I don't really feel bad for him. He sits right outside the HR office and continues to sleep with his door open. Also, he is retired from the military so he is drawing a pension already.

BEG has mentioned this guy before. Presumably he has some medical problem, is there no treatment?

1. BEG spends WAYYYYYY too much time posting here.

2. I have witnessed the person in question sleeping prolly 30+ times. Could be much more. He is a good guy, but he also should've been terminated long ago. :ninja:

3. I spend WAYYYYY too much time lurking here.

At least 2/3 are awake. :unsure:

no gets riled up if BEG falls asleep at her desk..

people just walk in with camera phones..or get a quick feel and leave..

BEG, do you ever wake up and notice things are a little different?...

:(

Don't just sit there, dawdalling. Go steal the focker's office supplies before someone else does.

I'd take a different managerial approach.

I'd go out to my car, get my trumpet and then blast Reveille about a foot from his ear and have 20 people standing around to laugh at him when he wakes up.

You save the employee and get the problem solved.

Bingo!

:bandana:

seriously though...

have u considered a shock collar? when u hear him snore...zzzzzzzzppp! :bandana:

Is this guy overweight? If so, does he carry alot of his weight around his neck area?

Im thinking he either has sleep apnea or is narcoleptic.

Hmm...is narcolepsy a disability? Is it covered by the American with Disabilities Act? Does he still do his job well enough, even if he sleeps a little? Should this guy be given special accomodations due to his disability?

How much different would it be to allow this guy to take a nap everyday from a person with a reading disorder getting extra time to take a test?

Is this guy overweight? If so, does he carry alot of his weight around his neck area?

Im thinking he either has sleep apnea or is narcoleptic.

Hmm...is narcolepsy a disability? Is it covered by the American with Disabilities Act? Does he still do his job well enough, even if he sleeps a little? Should this guy be given special accomodations due to his disability?

How much different would it be to allow this guy to take a nap everyday from a person with a reading disorder getting extra time to take a test?

There is a huge difference between taking tests in school and a real world job.

I have seen this before. I worked in an office where this one woman did this all the time, when they finally took her to task on it she said that if they fired her she would sue, asserting racism. Yes, she was African American. I remember how pissed the HR director was that she would even try such a thing. I told him that if i were her I would do the same thing, the system is built to enable it, so why not exploit it :dunno:

If this guy who they are going to fire is African American, tell him to sue them, he should be able to cash out nicely on it.... ;)

I have seen this before. I worked in an office where this one woman did this all the time, when they finally took her to task on it she said that if they fired her she would sue, asserting racism. Yes, she was African American. I remember how pissed the HR director was that she would even try such a thing. I told him that if i were her I would do the same thing, the system is built to enable it, so why not exploit it :dunno:

If this guy who they are going to fire is African American, tell him to sue them, he should be able to cash out nicely on it.... ;)

Being black makes one lazy and sleepy? ;) Interesting trial defense.

Being black makes one lazy and sleepy? :dunno: Interesting trial defense.

No silly. When you get fired, and you are African American, its ALWAYS racism, so you are more or less obligated to sue. There is simply no possible way for members of the aforementioned race to be held in any way accountable. ;)

No silly. When you get fired, and you are African American, its ALWAYS racism, so you are more or less obligated to sue. There is simply no possible way for members of the aforementioned race to be held in any way accountable. :dunno:

Oh, I thought you were taking the angle that being African American causes one to be sleepy and lazy, since it is inherit to the race. He can't choose his race and therefore couldn't be held accountable.

your fault, should have awoken him with a BJ

Oh, I thought you were taking the angle that being African American causes one to be sleepy and lazy, since it is inherit to the race. He can't choose his race and therefore couldn't be held accountable.

minoririties are encouraged to apply!! :banana:

i wouldve taped his legs to the chair....though rustys idea is pretty good...though with his idea..you cant lecture him afterwards...he wont have hearing for a bit...

how was work today Pedro?....

a drag..i only slept from 10 to 2 :(

If this guy who they are going to fire is African American,

Bingo.

I imagine that is the only reason I was asked to be a 3rd eye-witness.

how was work today Pedro?....

a drag..i only slept from 10 to 2 :banana:

It's called a siesta.

Bingo.

I imagine that is the only reason I was asked to be a 3rd eye-witness.

Yep......

Now, that being sdaid, he should still sue.....

Yep......

Now, that being sdaid, he should still sue.....

I think these repeated warnings or going to come back to bite them. They are setting up a pattern that the infraction is not that serious.

There is a huge difference between taking tests in school and a real world job.

Ok...a guy having to work on the first floor if he is afraid of heights, a woman that has to work near a bathroom because she has overactive bladder, an albino person having to work away from a sun exposed window, a cripple person having to work near handicapped stalled bathrooms, a wheelchair bound person having to work in an office with wider doors.