Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

YOU are being kicked out of your league. How do you want to be told?

Sizeable money league ($1000 payout). I'm the commish. A coworker/friend is getting the axe because he wasn't turning in legit lineups from about week 11 on. The kicker is that he was still easily in the playoff race. He didn't remain competitive during the most crucial point in the season and that's a cardinal rule in our league. He apologized for his week 11 lineup, then made changes for week 12 but still continued to play players that were known to be injured and not playing for the remaining weeks.

Anyways, he's not a close friend but he is a co-worker and I'd call him a work friend. Do I go ahead collect his transaction fees and then let him know he's being axed and the reasons for or just wait till next season and let him know he was replaced which would catch him off guard. I kinda feel like calling him out because it irks me that he potentially handed out free wins.

It's not a matter of having the sack to call him out, it's more of a respect thing. There's no need to have animosity on the job. Thoughts?

disguised voice from a pay phone.... or in front of his family then laugh. really, though... just tell him he's not good enough and your league is looking for someone who'll keep it more competitive. if he's pulling that kind of garbage it may not be as big a deal as you make it out to be. sounds like he couldn't care less. if i was getting kicked out i'd prefer you bring an axe to work and slam it into my desk. if this doesn't help, lemme know... i'm near the same burbs and could let him know for you.

Leave him in the league, or join ours.

Free money, and an owner who screws himself, free money.

The last you thing you need is to invite a ringer like me to win next year. :lol:

I was kicked out of a league for conflicts with the commish who was just plain terrible. We had one final blowout over his rejecting a trade I was involved in which he had no business rejecting. The guy never had the balls to tell me. I found out about it when the next season approached and the commish announced to the other owners that there was going to be a new team -the commish's girlfriend, LOL.

I'd let him know as soon as soon as the season is over. Tell him face to face. If he's a man, there'll be no hard feelings. No need to call him out. I see no reason to make it personal.

Accreditation: 8 years playing FF 4 years as Commish

Suggest you wait. You have work considerations here and the likelyhood is this player was of goodwill but was not prepared for the time to properly manage his team.He may voluntarily drop out for next year.Set signup early and give a 10 day deadline for response.

1. Next year issue written rules for all to see in mid-summer.

2. Include a clause about "best efforts" every team deserves best efforts from every other team.

3. Reserve the right of the commissioner to alter rosters Sunday morning using the league's commissioner's override capabilities-use this only in extreme cases, but do use it.

4.Require all owners to have their cell phone #'s submitted to the Commish as a requirement of participation.Call or not but state in the rules that the Commish is under no obligation either way.

5. Encourage all owners to set rosters on Tuesday for the coming week this habit will discourage roster errors.They can always review later in the week.

I've been a comish for eight years and have had to get rid of similar problem owners.

First of all wait until the season is over. Make sure you get his entree fee.

Next, tell him that you as well as others in your league weren't happy about his lineup issues. Tell him why you aren't happy.

Then tell him that because you and the rest of your league take FF so seriously it would be in his best interests to find a more casual league where the time investment isn't so large.

If he gets upset you could always offer him a final chance. Tell him that he can be in next year, but if the same sorts of things happen that you will be forced to kick him out and his entree fee will be forfeited.

He'll probably opt out on his own and if he doesn't maybe he'll make a better effort.

1 - get the money first

2 - tell him thanks

3 - when he asks about the league late summer, just tell him you went ahead and filled his spot since he didn't put a line up in the final few games of the previous year.

4- too bad he's a work companion that's what makes it tricky. One day he might be your boss!

If you saw the link I posted on the geek bored about the guy dancing, yeah that was the guy I had to kick out og my work league.

When it came time around to send emails out for the league he was excluded, when he emailed me I did not respond, think he got the picture

I just wanted to add ... always collect peoples money BEFORE THE DRAFT. Trying to get money from someone who already lost is like trying to get blood from a turnip. You're the commish, not some bookie's goon.

Having said that, I agree: wait until the season is long over but have the sack to tell him in person. I think if you're just straightforward and the season is a distant memory, a guy who didn't really care during the season probably really won't care in the off-season.

I agree with a previous poster that this person needs to be made clear that his team management was detrimental to the league, but he has to be given another chance. I understand that we all take FF very seriously, but that doesn't mean that we should burn bridges (work-related or personal) for something that's fairly trivial.

How's it going to look when he tells other co-workers (who don't really understand fantasy football) that you kicked him out of your league? While all of us might understand this move, it's going to make you look like a jerk at your place of business. Are you willing to risk that?

Just let him know that you all really want him to stay in the league, but that if he feels like he doesn't have the time to manage his team properly, you're willing to let him out. Instead of kicking him out, give him the option to leave. This makes you look like a good guy and at the same time sends a clear message that he needs to take the league more seriously.

When it came time around to send emails out for the league he was excluded, when he emailed me I did not respond, think he got the picture

A tad passive-aggressive, don't you think? What's wrong with telling him man to man?

I had this same situation a few years ago and the guy was on the same level of management as my boss.

1. Finished the season

2. I invite owners back right after the NFL draft. At this time I told him the league voted not to have him come back because of his failure to change his line. I told him a couple of owners were really upset because they feel this may have cost them money. He understood / no hard feeling.

I just wanted to add ... always collect peoples money BEFORE THE DRAFT. Trying to get money from someone who already lost is like trying to get blood from a turnip. You're the commish, not some bookie's goon.

It seems that the league entry fees were paid, but there are fees for transactions as well and those are collected at the end of the season. Are you supposed to make people pay with their credit card every time they put in a waiver claim, or have them send you a $1 check every week? :dunno:

Be creative. Ask your wife or g/f to wear something hot and sidle up to him and ask him out for a drink at a local hotel bar. Then, have her slip him a room key and tell him to meet her up there in 10 minutes. When he arrives, you are there to give him the news.

Be creative. Ask your wife or g/f to wear something hot and sidle up to him and ask him out for a drink at a local hotel bar. Then, have her slip him a room key and tell him to meet her up there in 10 minutes. When he arrives, you are there to give him the news.

this is borderline reason TO sandbag

It seems that the league entry fees were paid, but there are fees for transactions as well and those are collected at the end of the season. Are you supposed to make people pay with their credit card every time they put in a waiver claim, or have them send you a $1 check every week? :thumbsup:

PAYPAL

4- too bad he's a work companion that's what makes it tricky. One day he might be your boss!

OUCH!!!

That may hurt in the future!!

Are you supposed to make people pay with their credit card every time they put in a waiver claim, or have them send you a $1 check every week? :thumbsdown:

People must have money in their "account" before any pickups or trades can happen in my league.

And I do accept PayPal.

Re: Trx fees. When we charged them, I would collect enough cash to cover about 12 per year. Told them that if they went over 12 they would need to send me a check for another 10 or Trx will not be processed for them. Few owners went over that. Then I would refund at the end of the year. It's way easier to refund than collect. No one objected.

As far as the owner is concerned. First, you should have addressed the problem when it first occured. That's on you.

As far as kicking him out, If you are convinced it must be done, handle it like a man or you can't expect him to do so. Go to him and tell him that you have had to endure persistent complaints from numerous owners about his actions/inactions. Some have told you they will quit if he is allowed to return. Then simply ask him for his thoughts about what you as Commish should do. Note that it was suggested that you put it to a league vote but that you don't like the idea because you don't wish him any ill feelings or embarassment. He will quit on the spot and be you friend for thinking of how this would affect him. Good luck.

Trick me into responding to a post on this forum entitled "YOU are being kicked out of your league. How do you want to be told?" Then see what I say, and do that.

...Oh God!...I'm not being kicked out am I???

You suck, you're cut. I have a couple scrubs I'm not inviting to my league next year, the lack of an invite will let them know they are scrubs.

he's probably a racist, throw him out on that premis. anyone that doesn't keep up with their team is planning a genocide.

Easy. Just make up a fake league web poll in which the question as to whether to kick him out or not was posed. Show that the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of removing him (something like 9 or 11 to one).

You say, "I don't how this league is going to make it without you, but starting next year, we're gonna try."

Seriously, though, if you handle straightforward, and show him that you're a bit more serious about it than he obviously is, I think he'll understand. Make yourselves out to be the ones with the "problem." We're too serious, but that's the way we are kinda thing. It allows him to save some face, and yet understand the predicament.

I liked Shakespeare's method, too, and often laying the facts out in front of someone gets the point across, and they can draw the conclusion before you stamp on the paper in front of them. Always better if you can do that . . .

I see a few fellas suggest you lie and tell him others are complaining. If that's the case, then fine, but if not don't bull$hit him, just tell him the way it is, and carry on.

Simply tell him that you don't want your league to include people who don't take it seriously, explain your reasons why, and give him another shot at it. If it happens again, then he has been warned and knows what will happen, if he does.

Then make the rest of the league aware of the situation and that he is being given another shot.

If he does it again, kick his a$$ out and you would have full support of your league. I'm going to guess a couple other people you work with are also in the pool, so he wouldn't have any legs to stand on if he tried to make you out as an a$$hole.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

If you don't want this guy to hold a grudge, ignore all of the above posts that involve any sort of subterfuge. Just be straight up with him. Hell, if you really want to stay on his good side, take him out for a beer after work and tell him then.

Looking back, the best thing to do would have been to warn him at the time that his further inability to turn in legit lineups could jeopardize his being invited back next year. If you haven't given him such a warning, maybe you should give it now, and knowing that he's on "probation", he should be more focused on keeping his lineup valid. Plus, consider that maybe he had some sort of real life hardship and wasn't able to focus on FF.

Looking back, the best thing to do would have been to warn him at the time that his further inability to turn in legit lineups could jeopardize his being invited back next year. If you haven't given him such a warning, maybe you should give it now, and knowing that he's on "probation", he should be more focused on keeping his lineup valid. Plus, consider that maybe he had some sort of real life hardship and wasn't able to focus on FF.

He was called out at the time (week 11) when he started 3 players who didn't play and were known to be not playing days ahead. I do a weekly league news report and I casually inserted the fact that his team turned in a half ass lineup to shed light on it. He immediately emailed me and apologized but then continued to play an injured Marques Colston over T.J. Housyourmomma who was getting like 80 and a touch each week. There's no excuse for that,especially since he was warned.

I was all about booting him out and now after reading a few responses, I'm kinda feeling a little more torn. The problem still remains the fact that I did warn him and yet he continued his lackluster effort. This league is highly competitive and you almost have to have a zero tolerance for this kind of thing or you're just wasting people's time and efforts.

The transaction fees are collected at the end of the season because for the most part I don't have too many issues collecting. One reason is about a 1/4 of the league ends up winning money so I just subtract the fees from the money I give them. The other reason is that I stress the fact that if I don't receive money in a timely manner, that their league invite will be in jeopardy for the following season. This league has been around for 14 years and people seem to thoroughly enjoy it because the turnover is virtually nil from year to year. Apparently the threat works. :D

If you saw the link I posted on the geek bored about the guy dancing, yeah that was the guy I had to kick out og my work league.

I saw the title of the thread but I didn't get around to reading it. I gotta disagree with your move there. It kinda looks a tad poosayish. Sorry, but avoiding someone like that gets people talking about your character. I'd rather have one guy mad at me for booting him and possibly trash talking me behind my back, then a group of people whispering about the fact that I didn't have the cahones to call someone out that was a detriment to the league.

Executive decisions aren't always going to make you popular, but they are a necessary evil. The reason you are put in a position of power is because you can sack up and do what's right.

Is this move something you as a commissioner are doing on your own? Or is the league saying they want this guy out? If the latter, it would be very easy to just say at the end of the season, "I'm the commissioner of the league and everyone was upset that you weren't taking the game very seriously when we all do. I'm sorry to say that they don't want you back next year, and to be honest, I understand where they are coming from. I hope there is no hard feelings (Now get me the TPS reports)."

If it is something that you want to do personally, I say no guy should be kicked out of the league without the league saying they want it.

However, if it were me... I'd want to be kicked out as so:

"Hey Rams... you aren't coming back next year. But to ensure there are no hard feelings, I am giving you Jessica Alba as your love slave to make you feel better."

Is this move something you as a commissioner are doing on your own? Or is the league saying they want this guy out? If the latter, it would be very easy to just say at the end of the season, "I'm the commissioner of the league and everyone was upset that you weren't taking the game very seriously when we all do. I'm sorry to say that they don't want you back next year, and to be honest, I understand where they are coming from. I hope there is no hard feelings (Now get me the TPS reports)."

If it is something that you want to do personally, I say no guy should be kicked out of the league without the league saying they want it.

I'm initiating it because I don't believe anyone else noticed except the people he was playing against and they certainly weren't going to say anything at the time. I understand getting the league approval of the move but it certainly can't go unpunished if they were to vote it down. :wub:

However, if it were me... I'd want to be kicked out as so:

"Hey Rams... you aren't coming back next year. But to ensure there are no hard feelings, I am giving you Jessica Alba as your love slave to make you feel better."

You're fired. Here is your compensation: http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4955/tripping3cj2.jpg ( A little bit risque for work but no nudity)

I'm initiating it because I don't believe anyone else noticed except the people he was playing against and they certainly weren't going to say anything at the time. I understand getting the league approval of the move but it certainly can't go unpunished if they were to vote it down.

Ya, that is tricky. I know in the league that I commission, when it first happene and we didn't have rules against it, I at first gave warnings. When it happened again, we instituted heavy fines ($50) for any team that starts a guy that is on bye or labeled as out. The heavy fines force peopel to pay attention and is better for the overall competitiveness IMO.

If you are dead set on getting the guy out of the league... I think you should just talk to him honestly at season's end. If he doesn't care enough to put a line-up in, he shouldn't care if he gets kicked out.

He can manage his team any way he wants.

For you to decide he isnt managing it up to your expectations is just too bad.

I cannot STAND leagues where people p!ss and moan about this stupid mother focking sh!t.

Worry about your own team

:ninja: :huh: :huh:

I wouldn't kick him out. Tell him he's on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!!! And if he messes up like that again, the league will have no other choice but to not invite him back.

Notice I said 'the league' instead of 'I', and 'not invite him back' rather than 'kick him out'. It just sounds a lot nicer. :dunno:

He can manage his team any way he wants.

For you to decide he isnt managing it up to your expectations is just too bad.

I cannot STAND leagues where people p!ss and moan about this stupid mother focking sh!t.

Worry about your own team

:dunno: :) :mad:

:dunno: Teams that are not turning in a legitimate lineup may be conspiring to cheat. Ever think of that Einstein? STFU

:rolleyes: Teams that are not turning in a legitimate lineup may be conspiring to cheat.

Even if they aren't trying to cheat, it's just bad sportsmanship. The playoffs can be affected by his actions, even if he's already out.

We had a guy once who screwed up his line-up, and his excuse was "but I lost my password"... well it was a good excuse, except he did nothing about it for 3 weeks! I tried to talk my league into letting him back in under Double Secret Probation, but no dice. They kicked him out anyway, and I understood why. He deserved it. If anyone else had lost their password and couldn't change their line-up, they'd probably be on the phone with the Commish in a matter of hours. I certainly would.

Break into his house. Kill all his pets. Have sex with his furniture. Smear feces on the living room wall in the shape of: "You're Out of the League".

Break into his house. Kill all his pets. Have sex with his furniture. Smear feces on the living room wall in the shape of: "You're Out of the League".

You're hired. Leave a load in his toilet while you're at it since you are more than capable.

Even if they aren't trying to cheat, it's just bad sportsmanship. The playoffs can be affected by his actions, even if he's already out.

We had a guy once who screwed up his line-up, and his excuse was "but I lost my password"... well it was a good excuse, except he did nothing about it for 3 weeks! I tried to talk my league into letting him back in under Double Secret Probation, but no dice. They kicked him out anyway, and I understood why. He deserved it. If anyone else had lost their password and couldn't change their line-up, they'd probably be on the phone with the Commish in a matter of hours. I certainly would.

:dunno:

Accreditation: 8 years playing FF 4 years as Commish

5. Encourage all owners to set rosters on Tuesday for the coming week this habit will discourage roster errors.They can always review later in the week.

this is just silly. so much crap happens mid-week with regards to practice, injury status, etc.

accreditation rooned. :banana:

this is just silly. so much crap happens mid-week with regards to practice, injury status, etc.

accreditation rooned. :shocking:

That would be silly to you and you alone.

Good FF practice calls for setting your roster early then adjusting as injury reports and coach's press conferences cause you to adjust your roster as the week goes on.

If the wife goes into labor or the internet connection goes down---or anything else unforseen occurs the roster is already primarily in place with the players---you knew you were going to play anyway on Tuesday.

P.S. You're very welcome for the FF advise that'll make you a better player,silly as you may have considered it. After all that's why your reading this board anyway.

Finish the current season, collect whatever he owes you. When you organize the league next year, just don't send him an invite. Based on what you described, he won't care. He was obviously just trying to go along with the group when it was time to join.

For next year, you might not want to make it a league open to anyone and everyone...be more selective.