Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Syringes

I never hear The Beatles on the radio anymore

I've got into many bands over the years, including diving into some old groups and listening to a lot of the non-radio stuff for the first time.

I did that this past year with The Rolling Stones and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I've since listened to just about everything they've done, researched their history, etc. A few years ago, it was Miles Davis and John Coltrane, and then it was a lot of the great blues guys, including Johnny Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf.

I've never done this with The Beatles.

While I acknowledge their greatest, I've heard their songs on the radio so many times over the years that I've never felt the need to really take a hard listen to them. I was the same way with CCR, until gratefulted generously sent me the box set and found myself blown away after listening to them in an album-oriented, rather than hit-oriented, way.

Recently, a friend burned me a copy of "Love," a brilliant CD of re-produced Beatles songs for a Cirque Du Soleil performance. What's interesting is how bits and pieces of some songs are injected into others. Also, some tracks of a song are eliminated, leaving maybe one Beatle singing and playing guitar, etc.

So now I'm thinking about grinding through The Beatles.

Yesterday, it dawned on me that I almost never hear them on the radio anymore.

I hear Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Zep, CCR, Kinks and a lot of classic rock and 1960s bands on the radio, but almost never The Beatles.

I wonder why.

:blink:

I hope you are kidding. The Beatles can be found everywhere on the radio. Just check it out.

I hope you are kidding. The Beatles can be found everywhere on the radio. Just check it out.

I get a lot of Houston radio, including the classic rock station, over here in Buttmont and never hear a Beatles song.

I guess I could hear "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" 10,000 times a day on the moldy oldies station.

:shocking:

I get a lot of Houston radio, including the classic rock station, over here in Buttmont and never hear a Beatles song.

I guess the fact this station played the white album twice a day for four straight days doesn't count? :headbanger:

ETA: You need to take that wife of yours to see Love.

I've really only heard about 10 Beatles songs that I really liked.... maybe it's just my taste, but I for one love the fact that I dont hear them much on the radio anymore!

Kinda like Zeppelin, I recognize their greatness, and all bands owe them a "thank you", but there are only around 10 songs that I really like! :dunno: :headbanger:

I guess the fact this station played the white album twice a day for four straight days doesn't count? :dunno:

ETA: You need to take that wife of yours to see Love.

It only counts when Farmer Bernie unleashes his falsetto rendition while Geeks are pounding beers out at your Columbus compound.

:dunno:

I've really only heard about 10 Beatles songs that I really liked.... maybe it's just my taste, but I for one love the fact that I dont hear them much on the radio anymore!

I didn't think I liked them at all until my brother played this song in his car.

I didn't think I liked them at all until my brother played this song in his car.

that's one of the 10 or so... and I can tell you, that it's over 10, but definatly under 20...

and let me be the first to say that if any group has over 10 all time hits that transcend generations, they are a fantastic group!

i just heard

i've got my mind set on you

this morning

does that count ?

Maybe we don't hear a ton of it on the classic rock stations because only a limited number of songs really fit into the "classic rock" genre. Much of the Beatles catalog might be more appropriately labeled as "classic pop".

Songs like Hey Jude and Let It Be are great songs, but should they really be considered "Rock" songs?

The very early stuff (I Wanna Hold Your Hand) certainly belongs on an oldies station played alongside Elvis, Chubby Checker, The Temptations, etc.

The incredible volume of their work is mind-boggling and intimidating, particularly if you want to sit down and really listen to all the little nuances that come from repeated, serious listenings.

:o

Most music stations in this country are either R&B, Top 40, Easy Listening, or Country. There are very few rock stations, but most of them are fossil rock stations. It's surprising that fossil stations don't play them. Hell, they were popular 50 years ago or so. Some of their fans are probably still alive somewhere or other.

The radio stations don't want to line wacko jackos pockets.

I really don't listen to radio a lot, for music. I think maybe that Beatles music is too easy, not cool enough, shows a lack of edge. They're afraid, too bad. So i don't listen to radio much anymore, just for baseball and a little WXPN out of U of Penn, in Philly.

We get a fair amount here, comparatively. I listen to three different radio stations, and generally hear a Beatles song once every couple days.

The Beatles really don't have enough respect from a lot of today's music fans, IMO. I was raised listening to oldies music, but just recently started paying deep attention to their music. So much of it was revolutionary, and most of it is still pretty damn good. A fair amount of it can easily be called great.

Most people my age don't realize that essentially every band they listen to today would likely be non-existent without the Beatles.

Rusty, just listen to Rubber Soul and Revolver back to back. Then package Sgt Pepper's with Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour. Then listen to the White Album followed by Abbey Road. Or listen to the White Album first and do the other stuff after. Or have sex with your wife and kick a dog. I don't really care, but you need to listen to those albums.

Rusty, just listen to Rubber Soul and Revolver back to back. Then package Sgt Pepper's with Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour. Then listen to the White Album followed by Abbey Road. Or listen to the White Album first and do the other stuff after. Or have sex with your wife and kick a dog. I don't really care, but you need to listen to those albums.

Just got Sgt Pepper and the White Album for Christmas - brilliant stuff. If it weren't so focking cold out right now I'd go out to my car and get 'em.

Got "Love" not too long ago. Not a bad introduction to the music. Sounded kinda like the Beatles with a bit of Pink Floyd thrown in. Had some great re-mastering, and enjoyed some of the stuff more than others. "Hey Jude" sounded very crisp, but I want to hear the 'whole' song. Loved the sound of Eleanor Rigby and I Am the Walrus, and liked the transition between the two. Also enjoyed the way they blended "Blackbird" into "Yesterday." Lady Madonna, Get Back, Come Together, and All You Need is Love were some others that are sticking out as being good. Prefer the 'regular' stuff, but really not bad - especially since I think Cirque De Soleil is one of the absolute most pathetic, over-rated things ever. Saw La Nouba a few years back and walked out feeling completely confused. Maybe I'm just not 'deep' or 'sensitive' enough, but I thought it was pretty retarded.

While Revolver and Rubber Soul is undoubtedly their best work (White Album could've been there too if it was one focused LP rather than a double album), it's surprising that everyone is so quick to dismiss their "early" phase as throwaway bubblegum music, as if anything pre-Rubber Soul is somehow irrelevant.

I'll put tracks from an album like A Hard Day's Night, which never gets mentioned as one of their best, up against any of their other work. "I'll Be Back", "And I Love Her", "Any Time At All", and of course "I Feel Fine" (not on Hard Day's Night but same timeframe) are as good as anything they ever did.

The most amazing thing about them is that their entire run (the Early stuff, the Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt Pepper phase, and the late White Album/Let It Be/Abbey Road stretch) all occurred over a period of six years! Most bands are lucky to put out more than two albums over six years, much less reinvent themselves and music as a whole multiple times.

just call me and i'll sing to you

love, love me do...

here in NY Q104.3 plays a beatle block everyday at noon (dedicated to the late Scott Muni) then at midnite Carol Miller "Gets the Led out" (which is getting tiresome - playing mostly live stuff that was released not to long ago - How the west was Won and BBC sesions - not playing enough "deep" cuts