Sign in to follow this  
IndyTom

****Official Colts vs. Patriots Thread****

Wow - has it been a year already? Looking forward to some great debate/discussion with the usual suspects!

I know this will be a great game, regardless of outcome! Finally, a home game against the Patriots. I think we have played 99 in a row in Foxboro, so this will be a nice change of pace.

Good luck Pats!

:first:

I think the Colts will win this even though I respect the greatness of the Patriots.

The Colts have won the last two head-to-head meetings....both in Foxboro. Sure, they weren't playoff games, but Indy has never gotten to play New England at home in the playoffs.

This is the Colts' year, in my opinion.

It's eerily similar to the Steelers' season last year. The Steelers fielded their best team in 2004, but lost to the Patriots in the playoffs. Then, in 2005, the Steelers won a title with what most would agree was a slightly lesser team.

The same exact thing has happened with the Colts. 2005 was their best year as a team, but they got tripped up in the playoffs. This team has not been as good as that one was overall, but here they are following the Steelers 2004-2005 blueprint.

I think you have to give the edge to the Colts being at home on the carpet. I definately don't count the Pats out but I think this may be Peyton's year. And how the Colts defense has stepped up after being absolutely horrible is beyond me. If the Pats don't win I'll be rooting for the Colts although if they are playing the Saints I'll be happy whoever wins. I don't really have much hatred for the Colts and I definately will never have ill feelings towards Adam V no matter what happens. Dungy is a class guy and I'd be very happy for him to get a title. I always have respected the Colts and was a lot more bitter towrds them back in the days of Bert Jones, Joe Washington etc. than I am today. Maybe I'm more at ease after 3 SB titles although I still hate the NYJ, Bills and Dolphins.

What's the latest word on Rodney Harrison? Will he play?

I think the Colts will win this even though I respect the greatness of the Patriots.

Famous last words...

Yeah, mentioned earlier on the radio the Colts get the 3 for homefield... so in other words Vegas calls it a push.

I'd agree with that call as well. I was trying to figure out who was the underdog in this game... and I really don't think there is one. Pats have the experience, Colts have the dome. So it's a wash. No doubt the Colts have the most to lose since they've never been... so how they handle the pressure of that is what will determine the outcome of the game, in my opinion.

Should be a good one. :mad:

Don't bet against the Pats! I actually think Colts have a chance playing on a fast turf. Until they beat the Patriots when it counts, I'm still giving the edge to Brady and Co.

Famous last words...

I'm comfortable with that projection. I think the secondary without Harrison is going to struggle to slow the Colts offense down.

I do think the Pats should use Maroney more in this one. It's on turf and Maroney should be able to use his speed to break some big runs.

Both teams will have 45 players on the injury report. :dunno:

I think the secondary without _______ is going to struggle to slow the Colts offense down.

Famous last words...

Both teams will have 45 players on the injury report. :dunno:

LOL I would love to see the Colts list Manning as probable with a shoulder.

hats off to IndyTom... you've provided me with solid Colts homer info over the course of the season.

It's gonna' be a great game Sunday; the one that I really do think the networks wanted to see.

Win or Lose, Manning's a great QB. I'm saying that ahead of time.

I still don't believe in IND's run defense; here's hoping the Dillon/Maroney tandem trounces them! :dunno:

Tough game to predict for one big reason...you just don't know which Colt defense will show up. Is it the historically bad regular season one or the stout one we've seen the last two weeks. IMO that's the key factor here. After facing a Charger D that is about as fierce as you get and putting 24 on the board the Colt D needs to bring their A game for this one or the Pats will put points up (you can only hope to slow down Jabbar Gaffney) because they are far more diverse than KC's or Baltimore's offense.

On the flipside the Pats CBs will be under the gun. San Diego doesn't have anything special at wideout but Indy is a totally different story. Both Wayne and Harrison have had their way with the Pats the last two meetings. Just like the Charger game the Pats need to withstand that initial homefield surge. Keep it close early and they'll be able to play their game.

Whoever wins this game will be a pretty big favorite for the Super Bowl and will have boatloads of momentum.

Tough game to predict for one big reason...you just don't know which Colt defense will show up. Is it the historically bad regular season one or the stout one we've seen the last two weeks. IMO that's the key factor here. After facing a Charger D that is about as fierce as you get and putting 24 on the board the Colt D needs to bring their A game for this one or the Pats will put points up (you can only hope to slow down Jabbar Gaffney) because they are far more diverse than KC's or Baltimore's offense.

On the flipside the Pats CBs will be under the gun. San Diego doesn't have anything special at wideout but Indy is a totally different story. Both Wayne and Harrison have had their way with the Pats the last two meetings. Just like the Charger game the Pats need to withstand that initial homefield surge. Keep it close early and they'll be able to play their game.

Whoever wins this game will be a pretty big favorite for the Super Bowl and will have boatloads of momentum.

Pretty good assessment. :pointstosky:

Is there any doubt that this game will come down to a Vinatieri or Gostkowski (sp?) FG attempt at the gun?

I'll be rooting for Indy, but the freakin Pats will win a stomach-punch game when either Vinatieri misses in the clutch for the first time in his life, or the NE rookie does a classic-Vinatieri impression. Irony is a mofo.

hats off to IndyTom... you've provided me with solid Colts homer info over the course of the season.

It's gonna' be a great game Sunday; the one that I really do think the networks wanted to see.

Win or Lose, Manning's a great QB. I'm saying that ahead of time.

I still don't believe in IND's run defense; here's hoping the Dillon/Maroney tandem trounces them! :pointstosky:

Funny thing is that BOTH QB's havent exactly looked very good the last few games have they? Who would of thunk that Brady and Manning would have the WORST stats of their careers in the postseason? :banana:

May the best team win, Indy is gonna need a break or two as the Pats have proven come in VERY handy during tight playoff games. :banana:

128 hours and 15 minutes until kickoff! :dunno:

Should be a great game. You have to think that Indy playing at home with Sanders back will give them an edge in this game. Sanders really changes the rushing defense for Indy that could negate any advantage that the Pats might have with the running game.

What is the status of Addai? He is going to be very important for Indy. The Pats have to give up something on defense. If they cover the receivers, then Indy can run. If they try to stop the run, then downfield will be open. If Addai is healthy, that gives them a much better running game than with Rhodes alone.

I doubt Rodney is going to play. With that type of injury, I just can't see him suiting up this week.

The Colts have won the last two head-to-head meetings....both in Foxboro. Sure, they weren't playoff games, but Indy has never gotten to play New England at home in the playoffs.

This is the Colts' year, in my opinion.

It's eerily similar to the Steelers' season last year. The Steelers fielded their best team in 2004, but lost to the Patriots in the playoffs. Then, in 2005, the Steelers won a title with what most would agree was a slightly lesser team.

The same exact thing has happened with the Colts. 2005 was their best year as a team, but they got tripped up in the playoffs. This team has not been as good as that one was overall, but here they are following the Steelers 2004-2005 blueprint.

I'm now feeling the same way. I'm convinced now more than ever that I have no clue about the NFL. Black is white and up is down. 2 weeks ago we were talking about how the Chiefs had a good shot against the Colts. The Colts played a decent game but Peyton wasn't great. Then the Colts take on the Ravens and are expected to lose. Peyton plays an average game and they win based on their defense which has been horrible most of the year.

The Colts.......like the Steelers last year........have been totally flying under the radar and expectations aren't that high based on how poorly they ended the regular season.

I think it will be close this weekend but Peyton gets his revenge ultimately. Then again....what do I know? :dunno:

Should be a great game. You have to think that Indy playing at home with Sanders back will give them an edge in this game. Sanders really changes the rushing defense for Indy that could negate any advantage that the Pats might have with the running game.

Nail ---> head

I believe the first game back for Sanders was against the Pats and he continually caught/tackled Maroney in the hole. Then he was out for the next 2 or three games. Came back just to play the Pats :D

And I believe he's the difference maker on that D, a BIG difference maker in stopping the run. It's nuts, Indy has gone from a sieve to a stone wall against the rush. You would figure Sanders would make an improvement but to go from one extreme to the other was unexpected.

I think one key for the Pats to win is to keep Sanders back in the secondary. They need to keep him honest and not allow him to cheat up and play the run 1st (pass 2nd).

Besides that, piece of cake :dunno:

I'll take the Pats in a nail biter. Won't be shocked if Colts can finally win the big one either.

What's the latest word on Rodney Harrison? Will he play?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...running/?page=2

Status up in the air

Safety Rodney Harrison, who has missed the two playoff games with a knee injury, was at the airport yesterday, set to return to New England after remaining at home with his wife, Erika. The couple had their second child last week.

Harrison's return to town doesn't necessarily mean he'll be ready to suit up for Sunday's AFC Championship game, although it's certainly a better sign than him remaining at home.

Harrison, who sprained his right medial collateral ligament in the season finale Dec. 31, has been declared out of the last two playoff games at the start of each week. The Patriots' next injury report will come out tomorrow afternoon.

Congrats to the Harrison family on the newborn! :pointstosky: Chances are he'll be listed as questionable. Personally I think he sits this one out but I would love to be wrong.

My key is the above. The Pats secondary vs the Colt receivers. Comeback routes killed the Pats, plus focusing on Wayne and Harrison left huge holes for the TE's Clark and Utecht. Utecht had a huge 4th quarter - he caught 3 balls in the 4th going for 15, 16 & 13 yards, extending drives and killing any momentum the defense started gaining in the 4th.

Pressure on Manning will be huge obviously as well, can the D-line and whoever the 4th pass rusher is the Pats send in, create enough pressure on their own?????

My key is the above. The Pats secondary vs the Colt receivers. Comeback routes killed the Pats, plus focusing on Wayne and Harrison left huge holes for the TE's Clark and Utecht. Utecht had a huge 4th quarter - he caught 3 balls in the 4th going for 15, 16 & 13 yards, extending drives and killing any momentum the defense started gaining in the 4th.

Pressure on Manning will be huge obviously as well, can the D-line and whoever the 4th pass rusher is the Pats send in, create enough pressure on their own?????

Jesus - I was counting on you of all people to tell us what was going to happen this Sunday. :dunno:

Indy or any of you other Colts homers - what's the feeling there about Tony giving the team the extra day(s) off?

My first thought when I heard was that he's trying to shake things up a bit from past playoff meetings with the Pats. Maybe they practiced extra in the past and he's going in the opposite direction looking for a different outcome? I know in general football coaches and players are pretty supersticious (see Belichick/Hoodie) but I don't know about Dungey. Or is this just simply to get the team to relax a bit more and get some extra rest, maybe another day of healing for any injuries?

Indy or any of you other Colts homers - what's the feeling there about Tony giving the team the extra day(s) off?

My first thought when I heard was that he's trying to shake things up a bit from past playoff meetings with the Pats. Maybe they practiced extra in the past and he's going in the opposite direction looking for a different outcome? I know in general football coaches and players are pretty supersticious (see Belichick/Hoodie) but I don't know about Dungey. Or is this just simply to get the team to relax a bit more and get some extra rest, maybe another day of healing for any injuries?

It's kind of split. Tony usually gives two days off after a win, and then they would begin practice on Wednesday. Since this game was on a Saturday, it translates into three days off, and still provides the same amount of time of practice prior to a Sunday game.

Some of the local radio guys scratched their heads a little over it, but the Colts players claim that an extra day makes a ton of difference, especially when some of the players, like Addai, are a little banged.

Andrew Perloff of Sports Illustrated gives reasons why the Pats should be favored in this game.

Tom Brady has never lost in a dome and he's 12-1 in the playoffs.

Robert Beck/SI

Even though the game is in Indianapolis, I'm surprised the Patriots are three-point underdogs to the Colts. I think I'm missing something. Here are 10 reasons I thought New England would be a slight favorite. Go ahead, try to convince me otherwise.

1. The Patriots' mastery of the Colts in the postseason: The same principle players and coaches are in place from 2003 and 2004, when New England topped Indy in Foxboro.

2. Brady vs. Manning: Brady is 12-1 in the postseason. Manning is 5-6.

3. Belichick vs. Dungy: Belichick is 13-2 in the playoffs. Dungy is 7-8.

4. Tom Brady is 10-0 in domes.

5. The Colts have looked beatable in the playoffs: They were trying to hand that game over to the Chiefs, but K.C. didn't want it. And I know how tough the Ravens were, but I wasn't as impressed by Indy as everyone else last Saturday. New England's offense is in a different league than Baltimore's.

6. The Colts looked bad the second half of the season: They were 3-4 in their last seven.

7. Manning struggles against 3-4 defenses: The Colts QB had a 39.6 passer rating against Baltimore.

8. Regular-season matchups don't foreshadow playoff rematches: The Colts' 27-20 win over the Pats in Week 9 has little bearing on the postseason. Remember, Indy clobbered Pittsburgh during the 2005 regular season before losing to the Steelers in the playoffs.

9. The Pats' road success neutralizes Indy's home prowess: I know, I know ... The Colts are 9-0 at the RCA Dome. But, New England is 8-1 away from home this year and won at San Diego, where the Chargers were also 8-0.

10. Homefield advantage not a big deal in conference championship games anyway: Road teams have won the last two AFC title games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...be-favored.html

Andrew Perloff of Sports Illustrated gives reasons why the Pats should be favored in this game.

A very good reason why Indy will win.......because there are so many statistics which give reason to believe New England wins. :cry:

Indy/Peyton will exorcise its demons this weekend.

A very good reason why Indy will win.......because there are so many statistics which give reason to believe New England wins. :cry:

Indy/Peyton will exorcise its demons this weekend.

So the Colts will win...just because. Okay!

It's kind of split. Tony usually gives two days off after a win, and then they would begin practice on Wednesday. Since this game was on a Saturday, it translates into three days off, and still provides the same amount of time of practice prior to a Sunday game.

Some of the local radio guys scratched their heads a little over it, but the Colts players claim that an extra day makes a ton of difference, especially when some of the players, like Addai, are a little banged.

So this really all just comes from having a Saturday instead of Sunday game. Got it.

5. The Colts have looked beatable in the playoffs: They were trying to hand that game over to the Chiefs, but K.C. didn't want it. And I know how tough the Ravens were, but I wasn't as impressed by Indy as everyone else last Saturday. New England's offense is in a different league than Baltimore's.

And the Pats have looked dominant :cry:

So this really all just comes from having a Saturday instead of Sunday game. Got it.

And the Pats have looked dominant :cry:

Haha, yeah that was one point he could've done without in his article. But he had to make it 10 somehow!

So the Colts will win...just because. Okay!

No....not at all.

I didn't know just because you pasted some other guys story based on "past" stats, that I needed to refute his story?

Oh well....here goes:

The Colts will win because Peyton will pick apart the NE defense, and the Colts will be able to run the ball, and the Colts have a kicker who won't miss, the Colts defense is playing out of their minds just at the right time of the year, and the Colts are awesome at home on the fast track.

Meanwhile Brady will make mistakes with the pressure from Freeney and Co., Sanders will help shut down the run, the Colts will get up an early and large lead making the Pats 1 dimensional, and the Pats secondary will totally be exposed.

You need more?

No....not at all.

I didn't know just because you pasted some other guys story based on "past" stats, that I needed to refute his story?

Oh well....here goes:

The Colts will win because Peyton will pick apart the NE defense, and the Colts will be able to run the ball, and the Colts have a kicker who won't miss, the Colts defense is playing out of their minds just at the right time of the year, and the Colts are awesome at home on the fast track.

Meanwhile Brady will make mistakes with the pressure from Freeney and Co., Sanders will help shut down the run, the Colts will get up an early and large lead making the Pats 1 dimensional, and the Pats secondary will totally be exposed.

You need more?

JB - While these things may happen, you're not exactly backing any of your statements up. I could just as easily say "Manning will make mistakes with the pressure from Seymour and Co."

Now if you "think" these things will happen, that's one thing. But to just flat out say they "will" happen without any reason doesn't carry much weight.

For the sake of keeping this a good "football talk" thread, why do you think these things will happen?

JB - While these things may happen, you're not exactly backing any of your statements up. I could just as easily say "Manning will make mistakes with the pressure from Seymour and Co."

Now if you "think" these things will happen, that's one thing. But to just flat out say they "will" happen without any reason doesn't carry much weight.

For the sake of keeping this a good "football talk" thread, why do you think these things will happen?

I'm not sure why I suddenly have to back up my statements. This thread is littered with guys opinions and projections based on strengths/weaknesses of each team. I just gave you a bunch of reasons why the Colts could win. You just mentioned that Manning will make mistakes because of Seymour and Co. That could happen as well. This entire thread is speculation to some extent. I think you're splitting hairs now for some reason.

I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread that the NFL is crazy and I can't figure it out....especially this year. I mentioned I thought the Colts were similar to the Steelers last year as they're flying under the radar somewhat this year. In the past expectations were very high for the Colts coming into the playoffs but by the way they limped into the finish line at the end of the regular season, expectations were low. But suddenly, they are showing resilience. They are beating teams with their defense in the playoffs. And chances are Peyton's not going to have another bad/average game. So I was following up my earlier post by stating that even though stats show Indy choking in the past and the Pats coming out on top in the past, just when you think you know what's going to happen in the NFL.......you don't.

Does that answer your question? :cry:

I'm not sure why I suddenly have to back up my statements. This thread is littered with guys opinions and projections based on strengths/weaknesses of each team. I just gave you a bunch of reasons why the Colts could win. You just mentioned that Manning will make mistakes because of Seymour and Co. That could happen as well. This entire thread is speculation to some extent. I think you're splitting hairs now for some reason.

I mentioned in a post earlier in this thread that the NFL is crazy and I can't figure it out....especially this year. I mentioned I thought the Colts were similar to the Steelers last year as they're flying under the radar somewhat this year. In the past expectations were very high for the Colts coming into the playoffs but by the way they limped into the finish line at the end of the regular season, expectations were low. But suddenly, they are showing resilience. They are beating teams with their defense in the playoffs. And chances are Peyton's not going to have another bad/average game. So I was following up my earlier post by stating that even though stats show Indy choking in the past and the Pats coming out on top in the past, just when you think you know what's going to happen in the NFL.......you don't.

Does that answer your question? :lol:

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as calling you out. I'm just curious what Colts fans (or people that think the Colts will win) are thinking, that's all. :banana:

Season Ticket holder and I have called the last 2 Colts home losses (SD and Pit)

I will know when I get to my seat on Sunday but here is my assessment........

I think it is time for Manning to step up and show what he has. If he doesnt do it Sunday...he never will.

I equate it to the division game 2 years ago when the COlts were on fire on offense and the NE secondary was banged up and full of a bunch of no-names.....the difference this weekend as opposed to 2 years ago is that the game is at home. I think Manning will pick apart the NE secondary. I look for him to have a big....HUGE game on Sunday (300 3 TD's no picks). It is time for him to get the monkey off his back once and for all.

In the last 2 meetigs (in Foxboro) the Colts have dominated the game. Even the most arduous Pats fan has to admit that. Vinitiari wont miss 2 FG's this weekend like he did in the reg season and I honestly think the Colts may make this a laugher (Lord knows they are due against the Pats). I just dont think that, in the Dome, the Pats secondary can hold up. Addai is running really well which should suck those safetys up a little. That will just ask for some of Marvins double moves. No doubt the NE Def will be up to the task initially but not enough to keep them in the game at the end. I feel good about this one.

Sorry chowds....it is finally time to pass the torch. Great run but I just think that it ends in the Dome on Sunday and Manning finally gets that HUGE monkey off his back. If he doesnt do it Sunday, Manning will go down as by far the best QB to never do diddly-squat.

Colts - 30 Pats -17. Finally some revenge................

:bandana: :lol: :pointstosky:

Some real key analysis there "Tme to get that Monkey of his back" its really stupid.

It will be a tough game, but the Patriots are a more physical team, better in almost every area except WR and kicker. Brady has never lost a single game in a dome, and has only lost one career game on artificial turf. Samuel has developed into a very solid corner since earlier in the season and the safeties have come into their own since the loss of Harrison and Wilson. The tougher team almost always wins. I have no doubt the Pats are the tougher team, the more battle tested team and certainly the better coached team.