Sign in to follow this  
dcOne

When I first saw how many times Brady Quinn bench pressed 225,

24...pretty dang good for a QB who doesn't exactly look like a 24 x 225 kind of guy.

He must think clipboards are heavy.

:banana:

He looked big and cut at the combine. He has been working wth the Athletes Performance (or something like that) in Arizona just preparing for this. He was not even going to lift at the combine, but called his agent and told him he was going to do it anyway.

I thought that his stock was falling for no apparent reason, but I also don't like these guys who skip the combine for a Pro day so that they can feel more comfortable with their receivers, their coaches and on their turf. If I am a scout, I am trying to figure out how he is going to handle when things are not within their comfort zone.

Him being a good/bad qb doesn't take away from how impressive this is. The consensus #1 LT joe thomas, who needs to be strong, only lifted it 29 times. A few other oline guys didn't get to 30 either. Gotta give him props for that.

I think he'll be a good pro though. I'm not sure how bench press translates into QB skills if it does at all. I'm always the QB when we play our saturday games, and if i worked out my chest on friday, its hard as hell to throw the ball. I'm not sure if its because the soreness is hindering my movement, or if its because i need to use my chest muscles in order to get a good throw, but i can't get a good throw because they are too sore.

How long are Quinn's arms? Arm length is a huge factor in bench press.

Quinn sux serious shetlund schlong (Say that 4 times fast) Another QB seriously impressive with his benching ability, I believe 400lbs 12 times, 225lbs 25 times also.....

See Jim Druckenmiller

I also would have never guessed that Brady had that kind of strength though :unsure:

See Jim Druckenmiller.

His claims to infamy include being the 26th overall pick in the 1997 draft by the 49ers and allegations of raping a passed out Virginia Tech sorority chick while she was still wearing a tampon. It's estimated she had a .30 BAC during the act and she'd already barfed. He was acquitted after evidence was submitted the woman claimed earlier in the evening she was in love with Druckenmiller and wanted to have sex with him. He lasted two seasons with San Francisco; starting one game, compiling a robust 29.2 QB rating and career numbers of 21-52-239 with 1 TD and 4 picks. Drafted for his mobility, Big Jim also rushed 13 times for -10 yards. I do remember a decent game he had nearly 6 years ago while playing for the XFL Memphis Maniax when he put up 413 yards passing with 3 TD and 1 pick for that enduring league's record. I was playing in a Sandbox.com XFL fantasy league, but don't believe too many of the participants were paying much attention after the first couple of weeks.

Isn't he a Quarterback? That would be like a First Baseman able to throw a 90 mph fastball. So what? :dunno:

Isn't he a Quarterback? That would be like a First Baseman able to throw a 90 mph fastball. So what? :lol:

he's going to be drafted and converted to an O-lineman HTH

The purpose of the bench at the combine is to measure weight room work ethic. Repping at 225 is going to measure strength, but a guy has to do considerable work to ensure he can maintain stamina throughout the lift. That takes hours in the weight room.

If a guy throws up 10-15, you know he hasn't or won't put in the time it takes to become a dude at the next level.

HTH

The purpose of the bench at the combine is to measure weight room work ethic. Repping at 225 is going to measure strength, but a guy has to do considerable work to ensure he can maintain stamina throughout the lift. That takes hours in the weight room.

If a guy throws up 10-15, you know he hasn't or won't put in the time it takes to become a dude at the next level.

HTH

I wonder how many reps Joe Montana could do? :lol:

I wonder how many reps Joe Montana could do? :lol:

i'll guess like 10... he wasn't the biggest guy

the bench press is the most overrated measure of strength

Depends on what kind of strength. The kind of strength needed to press weight away from your body when lying on a bench? I'd have to say the bench press is a good measure of that.

HTH

I would lean towards your theory being somewhat correct.

apples v. oranges.... different era.

More like oranges v. tangerines but whatever.

So you really think these guys could throw it up over 15 times? Which in your eyes make them a suck-ass QB.

Matt Hasselbeck

Brett Favre

Matt Leinhart

Marc Bulger

Tony Romo

Jake Delhomme

More like oranges v. tangerines but whatever.

So you really think these guys could throw it up over 15 times? Which in your eyes make them a suck-ass QB.

Matt Hasselbeck

Brett Favre

Matt Leinhart

Marc Bulger

Tony Romo

Jake Delhomme

Did you read my post at all? If the ability to bench press 225 lbs a ton of times made you a great QB, we would have 5'5" 250 lb QBs with tiny nuts all over the place. Scouts would be scouring the Jersey Shore for the next great Italian QB.

The bench press is just one test they use to measure a guys work ethic. The bench press is something that almost every guy can acheive some level of sucess (20+ reps) with a dedicated training regimin over the course of a couple years. Without god given gifts, some guys won't run 4.4 40s no matter how hard they work. This makes the bench, above other tests, a pretty good measuring stick for a guys work ethic.

Is it the only way to measure a guys drive? Absolutely not, but it answers the question of why the bench press test matters at the combine.

I was playing in a Sandbox.com XFL fantasy league,

:cry: Me too. I had tommy maddox :cheers:

Did you read my post at all? If the ability to bench press 225 lbs a ton of times made you a great QB, we would have 5'5" 250 lb QBs with tiny nuts all over the place. Scouts would be scouring the Jersey Shore for the next great Italian QB.

The bench press is just one test they use to measure a guys work ethic. The bench press is something that almost every guy can acheive some level of sucess (20+ reps) with a dedicated training regimin over the course of a couple years. Without god given gifts, some guys won't run 4.4 40s no matter how hard they work. This makes the bench, above other tests, a pretty good measuring stick for a guys work ethic.

Is it the only way to measure a guys drive? Absolutely not, but it answers the question of why the bench press test matters at the combine.

Interesting insight, I hadn't thought of this. :cheers:

That being said, all of the measurables at the combine are just additional data; nobody is going to draft Quinn because he can bench a lot. Also, to somebody else's comment: many of these guys go to Athletes Performance in Tempe to work specifically on skills tested at the combine. These guys don't make the rules, they are just playing by them.

Dude, what I'm saying is that it doesn't focking matter. This is not like a WR running a 4.2 40, or a lineman busting out a lot of strength reps. Quinn's bench press will in no way effect his draft status, just as some Defensive Lineman's wonderlic will not effect his draft status.

Your point of veiw is noted, however it is complete hogwash. :wall:

Dude, what I'm saying is that it doesn't focking matter. This is not like a WR running a 4.2 40, or a lineman busting out a lot of strength reps. Quinn's bench press will in no way effect his draft status, just as some Defensive Lineman's wonderlic will not effect his draft status.

Your point of veiw is noted, however it is complete hogwash. :wall:

It could effect his draft status. Everything is taken into consideration. Some are more important than others. You gotta think that game films mean more than the combine but the combine does mean something. You better believe that if everything else was equal that a team would take the lineman with the higher wonderlic test score.

It could effect his draft status. Everything is taken into consideration. Some are more important than others. You gotta think that game films mean more than the combine but the combine does mean something. You better believe that if everything else was equal that a team would take the lineman with the higher wonderlic test score.

I can see Oakland's war room now: We have Quinn rated #1 on our draft board, he has all the make up that we want in a QB, we love everything about him except for the fact that as a QB he only benched 225, 15 times which clearly tells us he does not have the work ethic to be a good QB in this league. Fock it were taking Calvin Johnson. :wacko:

I can see Oakland's war room now: We have Quinn rated #1 on our draft board, he has all the make up that we want in a QB, we love everything about him except for the fact that as a QB he only benched 225, 15 times which clearly tells us he does not have the work ethic to be a good QB in this league. Fock it were taking Calvin Johnson. :wacko:

Now you're being obtuse.

By performing the way he did in the bench, and being prepared, he displayed a willingness to work hard and compete. It closes the door on anyone who was looking for a reason to knock him in that regard. It probably won't raise his draft status, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

One of the things that sold Denver on Jay Cutler last year was his decision to bench at the combine. It showed a willingness to compete that few QBs had displayed in past combine workouts. In fact, the scouts and coaches in the room gave him a standing ovation when he finished.

Now you're being obtuse.

By performing the way he did in the bench, and being prepared, he displayed a willingness to work hard and compete. It closes the door on anyone who was looking for a reason to knock him in that regard. It probably won't raise his draft status, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

One of the things that sold Denver on Jay Cutler last year was his decision to bench at the combine. It showed a willingness to compete that few QBs had displayed in past combine workouts. In fact, the scouts and coaches in the room gave him a standing ovation when he finished.

I can believe this. Russell is being touted as the "athletic" QB in the draft. Props to Quinn for a big Fock You to Russell, coming in and putting up impressive bench press numbers. <_<

I can believe this. Russell is being touted as the "athletic" QB in the draft. Props to Quinn for a big Fock You to Russell, coming in and putting up impressive bench press numbers. <_<

Russell came in atleast 10 pounds overweight. Tells me something about his work ethic.