Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

China on the leading edge of technology

China confirms Moon probe in 2007

Reaching the moon has long been a goal of China's space programme

China will launch its first lunar probe this year, and expects to be able to land a man on the Moon within 15 years, a senior space official has confirmed.

The Chang'e-1 lunar probe will be launched later this year aboard a Long March 3A rocket.

The probe will provide 3D images of the Moon, survey the lunar landscape, study lunar microwaves and estimate the thickness of the Moon's soil.

China became the third nation to place a human in space in October 2003.

The Moon exploration programme includes a planned lunar fly-by in 2007, a "soft landing" in 2012, return of lunar samples by 2017, and landing an astronaut on the Moon within 15 years

In other news, China expects to invent the internet by the year 2025. :dunno:

In other news, China expects to invent the internet by the year 2025. :sleep:

I understand they are hard at work at developing an electronic version of what we call table tennis. :unsure:

They blew their wad on that wall.

no illegals. :sleep:

Many feel that they will be the next super power to "dethrone" the US. Might be, but it ain't gonna happen in our life times. Or our kid's lifetimes. Or their kid's lifetimes......

you won't be laughing when they show a live video feed from the moon and there is no US flag. :sleep:

Many feel that they will be the next super power to "dethrone" the US. Might be, but it ain't gonna happen in our life times. Or our kid's lifetimes. Or their kid's lifetimes......

I suggest you read up on China.

I have. :sleep:

Since they have about a billion men for every woman, and since their economy relies on ours in trading, and since they still have about 80% of their people below the poverty line (and thats ALOT of people), and they still rely on food aid, I'm just not optimistic about it. Why are you optimistic?

They've upped their military spending 32% in the last 2 years. And that's just the stuff they announce.

They've upped their military spending 32% in the last 2 years. And that's just the stuff they announce.

Yeah, I know, and that's kinda scary. But to be a superpower you need more than a big military buildup. Especially to surpass the US. In our lifetimes. Just my opinion of course. :clap:

chinese ports > usa ports

jap cars > usa cars

brazilian women >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> usa woman

at least we have real football, john wayne, the gipper and the best fake moon landing ever!

I think it's going to be like the USSR. When they open up and we see that they really are a Third World country, we're all going to wonder what we were afraid of.

Agree

Agree

Two people have said this now. What exactly is the huge threat with China? Please enlighten me. :banana:

Or, you can just state "Agree" to a statement that doesn't state anything relevant to the conversation. :banana:

Yeah, I know, and that's kinda scary. But to be a superpower you need more than a big military buildup. Especially to surpass the US. In our lifetimes. Just my opinion of course. :cheers:

I don't know how big a superpower they can be if the best beer they can come up with is Tsingtao.

Two people have said this now. What exactly is the huge threat with China? Please enlighten me. :cheers:

Or, you can just state "Agree" to a statement that doesn't state anything relevant to the conversation. :dunno:

I think you are overestimating the US and underestimating China. Their economy is growing exponentially and the beautiful thing about China is they can do everything cheap unlike the United States since they don't have to worry about unions and labor laws. God bless em. I for one look forward to the reign of our new Chinese masters.

I have. <_<

Since they have about a billion men for every woman, and since their economy relies on ours in trading, and since they still have about 80% of their people below the poverty line (and thats ALOT of people), and they still rely on food aid, I'm just not optimistic about it. Why are you optimistic?

Their economy has been growing at a ten percent clip for a long while now. Other countries are having trouble getting stuff like cement because of how much China is using - and they haven't really begun their massive development yet.

They have an unwavering mercantile imperative. In the words of a couple of senior economists I spoke with, imagine them overtaking just about every manufacturing niche there is, cause it's not unreasonable to think they might. They used to suck at chain of custody - now they don't. They used to suck at quality control - now not as much. The reason why is that a lot of western companies established in China - as well as a bunch of interested middlemen - have been helping them rid themselves of these problems. As soon as a new niche market is identified, they fill it VERY quickly, often helped with massive amounts of government money (although other countries are beginning to have issue with that). Other countries have looked at China as the next big place to sell their goods. Well, hate to break it to you but that country is slowly becoming self-sufficient. It is also displacing other countries from established international markets.

They've been accumulating resources for a long while now to help their own development. They're striking deals with Russia for wood from the Russian Far East for instance and buying energy companies. If China and India eventually consume oil at a Japanese per capita rate (much lower than North American rates), they will need the entire current world oil production to meet their needs.

I doubt you'll be able to maintain your economy with basically WalMart jobs down the road. We'll have the same problem up here. Unless of course protectionism comes back and those same economists think there is a reasonable probability of this happening.

I could go on and on...

I think you are overestimating the US and underestimating China. Their economy is growing exponentially and the beautiful thing about China is they can do everything cheap unlike the United States since they don't have to worry about unions and labor laws. God bless em. I for one look forward to the reign of our new Chinese masters.

Unions have been a scapegoat for governments and companies leaving our countries. Salaries are so low in China that you couldn't possibly pay workers at those salaries in the US and Canada even without unions. Haven't looked it up but I'm pretty sure our minimum wage up here is higher than salaries out there. Without unions, governments would have had to tell people that our minimum wage is too high and the shiot would've hit the fan. Not great for companies either: "yeah we think your minimum wage is too rich for us so we'll be producing goods in China. Now keep buying them please."

I'm not saying unions are all great but I don't think they are the main reason.

They used to suck at chain of custody - now they don't.

Chain of custody? Somehow I think it has nothing to do with foster kids.

Chain of custody? Somehow I think it has nothing to do with foster kids.

Sorry...technical term. In forestry, it applies to following the product from the forest to the consumer to ensure it is produced in a reasonably green way. China is generally believed to be buying wood mostly from countries that simply cut and run but they don't do that as much anymore. They've also been weeding out corrupt middle men from their transactions with Russia.

This also reminds me that value-chain management is another area where they used to suck but don't anymore.

I have. :banana:

and since their economy relies on ours in trading,

I think you have that reversed.

It's reached the point that our economy relies on China.

they are leaps and bounds ahead of us in the pron arena...those wacky asians

you won't be laughing when they show a live video feed from the moon and there is no US flag. :thumbsup:

PROPS!!! :banana:

PROPS!!! :first:

astroNOTS would have been dead within hours after breathing radioactive moon dust that is now perceived to be a problem.

:dunno:

moon dust lint rollers

china will be the first to land on the moon....

I think you have that reversed.

It's reached the point that our economy relies on China.

And considering they will become self-sufficient for many goods in the not so distant future, you can see how that will become a problem...

chinese ports > usa ports

jap cars > usa cars

brazilian women >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> usa woman

at least we have real football, john wayne, the gipper and the best fake moon landing ever!

I can't wait for the day another country makes it to the moon and proves no one has ever been there. I wonder if the CIA will take them out before word gets out? Scooter Libby anyone? :banana:

Still not impressed.

"China, now considered the manufacturing workshop of the world (though China's share in the worldwide manufacturing value-added is below 9 percent, less than half that of Japan or the United States), less than one-fifth of its labor force is employed in manufacturing, mining, and construction combined. In fact, China has lost tens of millions of manufacturing jobs since the mid-1990s. Nearly half of the country's labor force remains in agriculture"

"Domestic private enterprise in China, while active and growing, is relatively weak, and Chinese banks are burdened with "bad" loans."

"China's authoritarian system of government will likely be a major economic liability in the long run, regardless of its immediate implications for short-run policy decisions."

"But inequalities (particularly rural-urban) have been increasing in China, and those left behind are getting restive. With massive layoffs in the rust-belt provinces, arbitrary local levies on farmers, pervasive official corruption, and toxic industrial dumping, many in the countryside are highly agitated. Chinese police records indicate a sevenfold increase in the number of incidents of social unrest in the last decade."

link

Maybe someday they will surpass the US as a superpower, but like I said, not in our lifetime. Not to mention the different varieties of language they have. Not good for business, locally and/or internationally.

Maybe someday they will surpass the US as a superpower, but like I said, not in our lifetime.

all they have to do is send .3 of their 1.3 billion over here with instructions on how to speak chinese and it is ovah....then they wiw be supah powah numwah wun.

:bench:

looks like all fo the laid off rural dwelling rust-belt farmers will have lots to talk about...

China expected to have 600M cellphone users by 2010

looks like all fo the laid off rural dwelling rust-belt farmers will have lots to talk about...

China expected to have 600M cellphone users by 2010

Thats what happens when a country has a bigass population. More people to use things. Who'da thunk. :banana:

Unions have been a scapegoat for governments and companies leaving our countries. Salaries are so low in China that you couldn't possibly pay workers at those salaries in the US and Canada even without unions. Haven't looked it up but I'm pretty sure our minimum wage up here is higher than salaries out there. Without unions, governments would have had to tell people that our minimum wage is too high and the shiot would've hit the fan. Not great for companies either: "yeah we think your minimum wage is too rich for us so we'll be producing goods in China. Now keep buying them please."

I'm not saying unions are all great but I don't think they are the main reason.

Don't you live in Canada? What's this "our" crap?

Also, I don't understand what point you are trying to make. I think that you might think I'm saying something I'm not.