Sign in to follow this  
Mackgee

Which First Round Draft Pick in 2007

Any thoughts on this subject. Most people think Brady Quinn, but I think Joe Thomas will not play up to his lofty draft status simply because the Lions might draft him.

Any thoughts on this subject. Most people think Brady Quinn, but I think Joe Thomas will not play up to his lofty draft status simply because the Lions might draft him.

Only if they try to make him a LT in the pros. He will be a very good RT in the pros. Like R Gallery for Oakland, his arms are just too short to play LT.

At RB I think Hunt is most likely to fail of those taken on day one.

At WR, there is something about T ginn Jr. I think he will be a very good return man; but not sure he will be a good WR. I think he will be taking too high.

Marcus McCauley

I'm gonna say anybody the lions, raiders, and the browns draft. Those are losing franchises that will consistently end up with high draft picks. I think a player succeeding has as much to do with the team he goes to as his own ability.

But with that said, i think joe thomas won't be as good as advertised. He's small and not overly strong. He did the bench what, 28 times? I'd rather have him hit that 32-35 times and run a slower 40 time. Maybe he could end up like Gallery. Solid player but not the franchise T you thought you were getting.

Top 3 Potential 1st Round Busts:

1. Ted Ginn Jr.

Right now, he's pretty much a one-trick pony with his blazing speed. Some guys in the NFL (i.e. Steve Smith & Santana Moss) have recently translated their speed into NFL success. However, it remains to be seen whether Ginn will pick up on the finer aspects of the game like route running, blocking, etc.

2. Dwayne Jarrett

I think his lack of speed is a legit concern, as I'd be worried whether or not he can get separation from NFL CBs (or how quickly he can break off his routes). He may need to be in the right system to succeed, IMO.

3. Chris Houston

I'm always a little weary of guys whose stock soars at the combine. There's no doubt that Houson's got some serious timed-speed and weight-room strength. However, I think it would be easy for him to rely too much on his physical prowess (without using technique and smarts). You certainly wouldn't want to waste a 1st round pick on another Ahmad Carroll-type, combine CB.

:clap:

1. Ted Ginn Jr.

Right now, he's pretty much a one-trick pony with his blazing speed. Some guys in the NFL (i.e. Steve Smith & Santana Moss) have recently translated their speed into NFL success. However, it remains to be seen whether Ginn will pick up on the finer aspects of the game like route running, blocking, etc.

2. Dwayne Jarrett

I think his lack of speed is a legit concern, as I'd be worried whether or not he can get separation from NFL CBs (or how quickly he can break off his routes). He may need to be in the right system to succeed, IMO.

3. Chris Houston

I'm always a little weary of guys whose stock soars at the combine. There's no doubt that Houson's got some serious timed-speed and weight-room strength. However, I think it would be easy for him to rely too much on his physical prowess (without using technique and smarts). You certainly wouldn't want to waste a 1st round pick on another Ahmad Carroll-type, combine CB.

:P

I agree with you about Ginn but Steve Smith is far more than speed alone. Pound for pound, he's got to be one of the toughest sob's in the NFL. I think S. Moss might be a good comparison or maybe Williamson from Minnesota.

I know who Rush Limbaugh would say. However you spell the guys name.

Guest JahRasta311

I know who Rush Limbaugh would say. However you spell the guys name.

###### rush limbaugh and the raiders

At WR, I think Ginn will be the bust. As a return man though, I think he will be ok. Better than P Warrick but not as good a D. Howard.

Whoever my Raiders take :dunno:

This is easy:

Joaquim Noah :thumbsup:

This made me smirk a bit but only because it was that bad of a joke - although I do agree that NOah will be an absolute Bust! in the NBA. He's overrated now as it is.

Russell.....no doubt...

Whomever Buffalo picks

Ginn is the guy I think that is the easiest to target with that potential bust label. The rationale we see in the NFL is there for him to go too high: Hester's success and people overreacting to get a player that approaches that type of talent. Of course from what I recall Hester was a surprise, 2nd round pick...

Meachem is a guy I believe will be a bust that I think others tend to be high on. I think his hands are more suspect than reports.

Quinn? When a guy has good mechanics but still struggles with accuracy against fast defenses, I'm leery. Russell has horrible footwork but still gets the job done. That tells me he'll develop into a good passer at the next level (among other reasons). Quinn? I'd rather have a few other QBs.

Drew Stanton--the guy is too reckless with his body and despite the great arm he makes poor decisions and rushes his decisions. I think this guy is going to be a major headache-frustration to a team because he'll look brilliant one play and horrible the next.

If Antonio Pittman sneaks into the first round....huge bust. I just don't see what people have been saying lately. To me, he's more a product of a good system.

:D Adrian Peterson :dunno:

Honestly, as much as I love watching him in college. I can see it, although I don't want to believe it. He has a lot of undisciplined aspects to his style and approach to the game. I think he'll get better, but these areas do put him at risk....

Honestly, as much as I love watching him in college. I can see it, although I don't want to believe it. He has a lot of undisciplined aspects to his style and approach to the game. I think he'll get better, but these areas do put him at risk....

So regarding Adrian Peterson what do you mean by "He has a lot of undisciplined aspects to his style and approach to the game. "???

Or is this kind of general unexplained description what your draft profile book is like?

:mad:

So regarding Adrian Peterson what do you mean by "He has a lot of undisciplined aspects to his style and approach to the game. "???

Or is this kind of general unexplained description what your draft profile book is like?

:dunno:

Wow, you're pretty cynical. Nor did you read the samples from the book. Although I know better, I'll bite just because you look ridiculous in that Yellow Gorton's Fisherman outfit.... :doh:

To answer your first question very briefly and not with the examples and detail you'll see from in the book: He tries too hard to get the big run--ala Reggie Bush to begin his rookie year, but did this more in college than Bush. He carries the ball like it's a loaf of bread. Although his stats are good in terms of ball protection, it won't translate in the NFL due to the way he carries the football in most cases. He has way too many close calls of fumbles that will be fumbles against pro competition. He is a poor blocker and a liability in pass coverage right now.

Without a doubt, he has special balance, acceleration and finishes a run as strong as any prospect we've seen in years. But these three negatives I mentioned earlier may amount to a lot of 2nd and long, 3rd and long, or 4th and long situations at best. At worst, it will amount to turnovers for his offense.

Now take your fish, go home, and play with Pinocchio.... :lol:

Wow, you're pretty cynical. Nor did you read the samples from the book. Although I know better, I'll bite just because you look ridiculous in that Yellow Gorton's Fisherman outfit.... :banana:

To answer your first question very briefly and not with the examples and detail you'll see from in the book: He tries too hard to get the big run--ala Reggie Bush to begin his rookie year, but did this more in college than Bush. He carries the ball like it's a loaf of bread. Although his stats are good in terms of ball protection, it won't translate in the NFL due to the way he carries the football in most cases. He has way too many close calls of fumbles that will be fumbles against pro competition. He is a poor blocker and a liability in pass coverage right now.

Without a doubt, he has special balance, acceleration and finishes a run as strong as any prospect we've seen in years. But these three negatives I mentioned earlier may amount to a lot of 2nd and long, 3rd and long, or 4th and long situations at best. At worst, it will amount to turnovers for his offense.

Now take your fish, go home, and play with Pinocchio.... :(

I just wanted to know your opinion on him, so your answer is appreciated. :rolleyes:

Reggie Nelson ---- Basicly, he runs very femininly. I'm guessing his teammates will give him the cold shoulder because of this. And within 3 or 4 years he'll get run out of the league.

for the sake of argument.....

<_< Calvin Johnson :wacko:

I only bring his name into this, cause how many "out of this world" college receivers have been complete and total busts in the NFL compaired to how many STUDS came out of college that were predicted to be "decent" NFL receivers :wacko:

for the sake of argument.....

:dunno: Calvin Johnson :dunno:

I only bring his name into this, cause how many "out of this world" college receivers have been complete and total busts in the NFL compaired to how many STUDS came out of college that were predicted to be "decent" NFL receivers :mad:

Unfortunately, if CJ doesn't become a Pro-Bowler within 2-3 years you'd have to consider him a bust. He is the 2nd-coming of Randy Moss, apparently, and the the only 'sure thing' in this draft (again, apparently). Anything less and he'll have been picked way too high in the draft.

Chris Houston

I doubt Chris Houston will be a bust. He had very little trouble with any of the top tier receivers in this year's draft crop, and he played in the toughest division in college football.

Unfortunately, if CJ doesn't become a Pro-Bowler within 2-3 years you'd have to consider him a bust. He is the 2nd-coming of Randy Moss, apparently, and the the only 'sure thing' in this draft (again, apparently). Anything less and he'll have been picked way too high in the draft.

I'm with you, anytime I hear "can't miss", "sure thing" or "best talent seen in 10 yrs" I start to get that uneasy feeling. However, everything I see, hear and read about him screams otherwise. He's not the 2nd coming of Randy Moss, he's the illegitmate love-child of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Randy was one dimensional, everything is an upfield route. But he was the most insanely gifted one-dimensional receiver ever. TO is a different cat, not as fast top-end, but so damn big and strong and killer acceleration that he can turn any 7 yrd slant into the house. Take those two, spawn a kid from them, give it HGH to make it bigger and stronger than TO, almost as fast Randy, and 10 times as humble as both, and you've got Calvin.