Sign in to follow this  
Jetdoc

2nd Round Commentary

Well, I ended up with Thomas Jones and I am pretty happy about that. The NYJ have really improved their line with Ferguson and Mangold last year and Thomas Jones won't have too much to worry about with RBBC.

I actually wanted Jones-Drew or Bush more than Jones, but I'm happy to get one of the three.

Fumble, if I had two of the three RBs available that I mentioned above I would have went Harrison, but I didn't want to miss on one of these three RBs.

Well, I ended up with Thomas Jones and I am pretty happy about that. The NYJ have really improved their line with Ferguson and Mangold last year and Thomas Jones won't have too much to worry about with RBBC.

I actually wanted Jones-Drew or Bush more than Jones, but I'm happy to get one of the three.

Fumble, if I had two of the three RBs available that I mentioned above I would have went Harrison, but I didn't want to miss on one of these three RBs.

Was really hoping for Thomas Jones at 2.12. :pointstosky:

Well, if Harrison was going to be gone anyway, then I feel o.k. He was the top player on my board. But, I also had a huge drop-off after Benson and Jones at RB....so I was praying one of those two would make it back to 3.03. Not in this mock, I guess. :pointstosky: :(

Well, if Harrison was going to be gone anyway, then I feel o.k. He was the top player on my board. But, I also had a huge drop-off after Benson and Jones at RB....so I was praying one of those two would make it back to 3.03. Not in this mock, I guess. :pointstosky: :(

Yeah, Harrison would not of made it back to you for sure.

Good side? That would mean more opportunities right? Well in 06, taylor still received 254 touches compared to jones-Drew's 212. Taylor had 1388 yds, Jones-Drew had 1377. Taylor had 6 TD's, Jones Drew 15 (toss that kick return out, it's irrelevent, you get no pts for it, just another chance for injury).

So Taylor received 55% for the work, Jones 45%. They both accounted for 50% of the yards between them.

The BIG difference is the TD's, the most variable stat in FF. If you believe Jones Drew will get double didget TD's, despite being in a RBBC again, he then justifys the pick. He shoudl at least match, if not eclipse his yardage one would think, it's the TD's I'm very worried about. Not to mention they ask a lot out of this kid, the ST's is simply another way for him to get injured.

Every year there always seems to be a young back who produces lights out down the stretch only to fall very short the next year. Barlow, Jul Jones, Kev Jones, Caddy, just to name a few. I think you can toos Jones Drew into that mix. I coudl be wrong, but I won't be spending a 2nd rounder on him due to this.

Let's just say his usage won't likely decrease and Taylor's won't increase. I like those odds with those legs! :doublethumbsup:

Like both the Jones and Benson picks. Was hoping one would slide a while, but no chance with this group of RB hawks :doublethumbsup:

I also like the Holt and Harrison picks, great value on both of them!

Good side? That would mean more opportunities right? Well in 06, taylor still received 254 touches compared to jones-Drew's 212. Taylor had 1388 yds, Jones-Drew had 1377. Taylor had 6 TD's, Jones Drew 15 (toss that kick return out, it's irrelevent, you get no pts for it, just another chance for injury).

So Taylor received 55% for the work, Jones 45%. They both accounted for 50% of the yards between them.

The BIG difference is the TD's, the most variable stat in FF. If you believe Jones Drew will get double didget TD's, despite being in a RBBC again, he then justifys the pick. He shoudl at least match, if not eclipse his yardage one would think, it's the TD's I'm very worried about. Not to mention they ask a lot out of this kid, the ST's is simply another way for him to get injured.

Every year there always seems to be a young back who produces lights out down the stretch only to fall very short the next year. Barlow, Jul Jones, Kev Jones, Caddy, just to name a few. I think you can toos Jones Drew into that mix. I coudl be wrong, but I won't be spending a 2nd rounder on him due to this.

Wasn't Caddy light s out early?

Let's just say his usage won't likely decrease and Taylor's won't increase. I like those odds with those legs! :doublethumbsup:

I hope it does, but even at 1 55/45 or 60/40 split in favor of Jones Drew, that's a lot of risk for a 2nd round pick IMO.

Seems a lot of people here are a little down on Holt - how come?

I have him ranked as the #2 WR :doublethumbsup:

Seems a lot of people here are a little down on Holt - how come?

Could be an age thing. But I think it's just that there's a lot of options that are roughly equal (Holt, Harrison, TO), and Holt is generally considered to be just a little notch below them.

Not sure why no love for Holt. I have him in my top 5.

The more I look at it, I think the top tier on WR's is about 7 guys! Much larger then in the past.

Not sure why no love for Holt. I have him in my top 5.

The more I look at it, I think the top tier on WR's is about 7 guys! Much larger then in the past.

I think the team brings this down some now. No longer the "Greatest Show On Turf", and SJAX the focus.

I had Holt #4 behind Smith, CJ, and Fitz. Then Harrison/Wayne.

SMITH

Had 83/1166/8, agree not stellar…till realize did in 14 games. Yes, man is unguardable, so that easily could have been 90+/1300+/10+. Injury thing behind him and another wr who it just comes down to matter of preference

OWENS

About right, with folks excited about a ‘full year’ with Romo.

HOLT/HARRISON

I had him last year and one reason folks may be down on him is he really slowed down in second half of season…overall solid though, and still same old reliable top5 Holt and great value here.

Harrison is mr reliable…only WR with double digit TDs over last 6 years.

BUSH/JONES/MDJ

Considered these guys at 2.03 but thought it was a bit early and actually wanted to see where they fell.

I share Miller’s feelings on Bush/MDJ…nice upside but still RBBC and not sure if worth a 2nd rnd…that may change.

Think Jones, as he has for last few years, has suffered from ‘No Respect’ label. Add that he’s going to the boring jets (who many may not know have improved OL( and think he could be ff gold as others go after Bush/MDJ glamour type picks.

Travis Henry at 2.01 is pretty good value for a RB likely to be in the top 5 for FF stats.

Torry Holt at 2.12 is insane value, what a coup getting him there. Very Nice.

Edgerrin James went too early at 2.03, he is more of a 3rd, more so a 4th rounder, after you have two reliable RB options already~ JMHO

Travis Henry at 2.01 is pretty good value for a RB likely to be in the top 5 for FF stats.

Edgerrin James went too early at 2.03, he is more of a 3rd, more so a 4th rounder, after you have two reliable RB options already~ JMHO

:banana:

:banana:

We can agree to disagree, but I will still be right.... :D ;)

:dunno: :)

Are you flirting with me :wall:

my thoughts on the latter half of the 2nd...

s smith - after thinking about it more and looking at the numbers, im even more convinced that this is not a guy that will be showing up on my roster this year. he is looking to me like the mid 90s fred taylor of receivers. hes unguardable, hes awesome, special, blah blah blah. only he has a very mediocre qb who cant consistently get the job done and he cant seem to stay healthy. i just dont buy into the "he only played 13 games last year so imagine if" argument. the fact is that smith has started all 16 games only once in his career, his big year. 2nd round WRs are guys who finish near the top no matter what, even with a couple injury games missed, just no question about it. smith is going to have to have at least one more big year before he fits hat mold imo.

owens - great pick, #1 wr on my board and its not that close. i really really wanted to take him at 2.4 and wouldve if i didnt feel like i had to take portis before all the RBs i could handle using were gone, which they are now at 3.9. owens is the exact opposite of everything i just said about smith. he is a basket case, he always seems to miss a game or two for whatever reason... but at the end of the year, there he is near the top of the fantasy rankings. in his 11 years as a pro, owens has had 8 or more TDs 8 times. and hes had 13 or more TDs SIX times, over half of his career. 8 TDs makes you a nice good top 10-15 WR, like smith normally is. 13+ makes you a top 5 superstud WR, like owens pretty much always is. even if its only in 13 or 14 games. pencil him in for an automatic 1200/13 season this year, and then enjoy it when he probably adds on yards and TDs as well. #1 WR right there.

bush / t jones - good picks, those were the next 2 RBs on my board. the numbers will add up, i especially like jones' value and upside with that great young line. note that i wouldve passed on both to take owens at 2.4 if portis wasnt there.

holt - awesome last pick in the 2nd. dont expect he'll normally last there. top 3 WR on my board every year. he just always gets his, no matter what. heck last year he was hurt half the year and the rams OL was awful and he still had 1200/10. hes in my top 3 WRs with cj, owens, holt as absolute locks to finish in the fantasy top 10. at worst.

harrison - i like him but seems slightly early. wouldve preferred holt to him, perhaps one or two others, but dont have a huge problem there... its just that with the WRs avialable, i think you couldve done better to pass on harrison, take a RB there like thomas jones, and probably still get harrison or a comprable WR at 3.3. just slight change of plans, think you wouldve been better off.

jones-drew - SICK. ugh ugh ugh. wow. i hope people will really draft a nice rbbc guy this high in a real draft. yikes. man the sophomore rb love is insane. i love addai and thought he was a nice sleeper at the end of last season going into this, hoping he'd be a guy i couldve snagged at 2.4ish. instead he shoots up to lock top 7 status (which i think is mostly deserved) but now maroney and mjd both went about 20 picks higher than i expected to see either one of them. holy cow. at least maroney is a full timer though. mjd, jeez, i could think of 30 picks id have made before hi at least.

Actually, thinking back on it - I agree with Bomb. I chose Smith over Owens as a "conservative" call, as Owens always has the risk of implosion (especially with a new coach).

Potential-wise, however, Owens is likely a much better pick.

If I had to do it again, I would've likely taken Owens first.

Are you flirting with me :huh:

Trying to use this mock as a stepping stone to 18,000 :dunno: :banana:

Yes :wub:

jones-drew - SICK. ugh ugh ugh. wow. i hope people will really draft a nice rbbc guy this high in a real draft. yikes. man the sophomore rb love is insane. i love addai and thought he was a nice sleeper at the end of last season going into this, hoping he'd be a guy i couldve snagged at 2.4ish. instead he shoots up to lock top 7 status (which i think is mostly deserved) but now maroney and mjd both went about 20 picks higher than i expected to see either one of them. holy cow. at least maroney is a full timer though. mjd, jeez, i could think of 30 picks id have made before hi at least.

Guess you don't like 1300 yards and 16 TD's. You'd rather have a back like Portis who has the ultimate competition, in ##### who has proven he can carry the load and the team. :bench:

Who were those two backs we argued about in last years Jetdoc. T Bell and ?????