Sign in to follow this  
LavarIsAnAnimal

Man vs. Wild

Anyone else excited for the new episode tonight? Easily became one of my favorite shows after seeing the stuff Bear did earlier in the year. I can't wait to see if he eats anything crazy like elephant dung.

Anyone else excited for the new episode tonight? Easily became one of my favorite shows after seeing the stuff Bear did earlier in the year. I can't wait to see if he eats anything crazy like elephant dung.

I'm super pumped. Only 4 more hours till it's on.

ohh, and he didn't eat elephant sh1t, he wrapped up said sh1t and squeezed out the water so he could drink it and not get dehydrated.

I'm super pumped. Only 4 more hours till it's on.

ohh, and he didn't eat elephant sh1t, he wrapped up said sh1t and squeezed out the water so he could drink it and not get dehydrated.

That's hot!!! Hi Paris (think she comes to this board?)

I really don't care for this show. Call me whatever names you want, but I don't enjoy seeing him eat animals out there. There's really no reason for that; he's not about to starve out there, as much as he likes to pretend that he is. He could just as easily explain what to do; he doesn't need to actually do it. :doublethumbsup:

Alot of that show is rigged. The Rocky Mountain episode clearly shows that he was wearing a life jacket beneath his sweatshirt although he tried his best to conceal it. He acted like the best course of action was to risk hypothermia by jumping into frigid water to make better time. Bear Grylls is a total tool and here's a link to the Discovery channel forum fansite 'Bear licks mooseballs'. Just look around there and alot of people illustrate how much of that show is fake. :doublethumbsup:

Deffinently a good show for sure, i missed the new one, but, i think it will come on about 50 more times this week.

That and Surivorman are very good survival shows, Les is a bit more down to earth though, he seems like just your typical guy, whereas Bear is like a freak of nature can do everything and knows everything about anything really. I give Les more credit though, as he don't have a camera crew, he has to haul around a bunch of camera gear and has to set up shots and has to do a lot more walking and hauling because of it. Anyone know when more Survivorman's are coming out??

I thought the new episode was pretty good. The noise that baby alligator made was great. I didn't know that they grew so slowly. it was still pretty tiny but Bear said it must have been a few years old

For me, it's one of those shows you come across flipping channels and all of the sudden you are mesmerized, place the remote down, and watch to the end, no matter how many times you've already seen that particular episode.

Bear Grylls is a total tool and here's a link to the Discovery channel forum fansite 'Bear licks mooseballs'. Just look around there and alot of people illustrate how much of that show is fake. :(

Hey Ya, thrillseeker 22! My husband and I totally relate and second our emtion, so to speak. We also have a new baby and have found Bear's in-the-wild tips really helpful. We've never been camping before, but recently visited Kodiak Island, Alaska. We ended up straining animal feces (I have to admit, I don't know what kind of animal it was), for fluid to drink (granted we researched proper methods ahead of time) and fed it one month old Cloe. Bear really puts his money where his poop shoot is We're good to go and we wish you the best in your family's adventures. Take care!

and then.....

Wait. Terri, you gave your one month old baby water from some type of feces you found on Kodiak Island? Is this correct? Why would you do anything that might endanger your child like this? Their immune systems are not developed at all at that age. Please tell me this was an exaggeration.

Dutch, a nurse.

Another good one:

i live in vegas and for this summer i am going to chile to go hiking at Los Lagos Region near the Llanquihue lake the second biggest lake in the world and theres a volcano near it the recorded deads that happend where between 1575-1869.

1869 was the last time it erupted and it is entirely covered in glaciers and it would be cool to know how to survive there

thank you and good luck with your show!

Here's the follow up from a Bear hater:

it is entirely covered in glaciers and it would be cool to know how to survive there

Try NOT to climb INSIDE the glacier like Bear did.

I think's it's pretty compelling TV without a doubt. Bear is pretty crazy - and pretty much a badass. In some of those cases, I can't believe they'd let him do things without a safety line. (like when he went up that hole in the desert using just his legs).

I don't sweat the occasional 'cheat'. These idiots who get all :dunno: over that stuff need to get a clue. It IS a tv show. Documentaries are 'rigged' too, doesn't make what they represent any less real.

But yeah, there's a few things that make me :dunno: . Like when he's in the rockies telling us about how demoralized he was to be so alone for so long. I'm like: "why don't you just talk to the camera guy or the sound guy?" :D

The other thing is, when he's talking about how hard it is to walk around (for example, everglades), I'm thinking - what about the poor camera guy who's carrying 65 lbs of camera equipment and looking through a camera lens?

From The New York Times website:

A TV Survivalist Caught Cutting Corners

By Mike Nizza

TV Survivalist Bear Grylls crossed a river in the Scottish Highlands for one episode of his TV program, “Man vs. Wild.” In the same installment, he is seen skinning a deer carcass to make a bloody coat.

To watch Bear Grylls on his program “Man vs. Wild” is to be in a constant state of disbelief — over how he is able to escape a tiger shark attack; eat the biggest maggot you’ve ever seen; build a complicated raft out of bamboo and leaves; and basically, well, survive in really dire situations, with a sense of humor and an uncanny knack for delivering live commentary as he performs his feats.

Meant to counter that disbelief is a statement by Mr. Grylls at the beginning of each show, saying he undertakes his adventures carrying only a flint, a knife and maybe some water, and that a camera crew following his journey through the wilderness would not aid him in any way.

But as Mark Weinert, who said he served as a consultant on the show, told The Times of London, “If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive.” More details from The New York Post:

A compilation of Bear Grylls’s feats.

According to Weinert, while filming in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains — an episode in which Grylls, 33, is seen biting off the head of a snake for breakfast — Grylls actually spent some nights with the show’s crew in a lodge outfitted with television, stone fireplaces, hot tubs and Internet access.

The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as “a cozy getaway for families” and is a luxurious hotel with its own spa on a lake.

In another instance, where Grylls was supposed to be surviving on a desert island, he was actually in Hawaii and spent nights at a motel, Weinert said.

The same episode had Grylls building a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo, hibiscus twine and palm leaves for a sail. Weinert said he actually led a team of builders to construct the raft.

It was then taken apart so that Grylls could be shown building it on camera.

Mr. Grylls has sold the show with gusto as being exactly what the title implies: one man versus the wild. In an interview in The New York Times last month, he said he has never called for help, though he came close during a storm in the Scottish Highlands. Wikipedia unearthed a statement from Mr. Grylls in a Web chat about whether “the camera crew impact your actions while in a hostile environment.” He replied that they were “under very strict instructions not to get involved or help.” Wikipedia’s entry also refers to three other dramatizations.

Discovery Channel, which carries the program in the United States, has acknowledged some misleading storytelling and interventions by advisers like Mr. Weinart when there were “health and safety concerns.” But they stood behind their host — “a world-class adventurer and a terrific talent” — and vowed that “the program will be 100 percent transparent.”

It’s hard to imagine, though, how the network can follow through without undermining the basic conceit of “Man vs. Wild.” Viewers can relate to a guy who puts his cargo pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us, but will they accept breaks at luxury hotels? The episodes already in the can will have to be interrupted for disclaimers, or labelled at the outset with a disclaimer like “Based on true events.” Or, the host could restrict himself to less risky assignments that he can genuinely handle without help.

like survivorman?

I like both Man -vs- Wild and SurvivorMan.

Do I care if he sleeps on a cot with the crew a night or two out of the week he's there? Not really. I mean, he's way more of a badass than any of us ever will be. This focker drinks his own piss, strains water out of sh1t, eats things that would seriously have me contemplating starvation and death before eating, and people are raising a fuss about him putting a raft together after someone showed him how to do it? for staying a night or two in a hotel or a lodge? how many focking nights has this man not done that?

Regardless, both these shows are excellent to watch, and I'll continue watching them without any negativity :pointstosky:

sounds like the moon landing conspiracy peeps. :pointstosky:

most peeps also prolly don't realize their idiot game shows film several episodes in a day but can't comprehend that

because the host changes clothes.

is there more that goes on that we don't see during the show? sure

is he 'cheating' and every focking night some heli picks them up takes them to a motel only

to fly them back to the exact same spot just a few hours later at daylight? I seriously doubt that

is it possible any light whatsoever from the crew while he's moving at night helps? perhaps.

the dude killed a rabbit by throwing a club, I didn't see any cameraman holding the rabbit in place

he focking jumped into freezing lake water in the alps and stayed in for a couple mins which was :thumbsdown:

did those maggots not pass his lips?

was the elephant crap fake?

peeps can try and poke all the holes they want but bear is a legit badass and peeps just can't accept it, instead

they're sitting around wondering about 'what could have been' in their jealous lives.

They had a whole day Man vs. Wild marathon this past Sunday. :pointstosky: Just watched two SurviorMan episodes for the first time yesterday and today. :thumbsdown:

sounds like the moon landing conspiracy peeps. :thumbsdown:

most peeps also prolly don't realize their idiot game shows film several episodes in a day but can't comprehend that

because the host changes clothes.

is there more that goes on that we don't see during the show? sure

is he 'cheating' and every focking night some heli picks them up takes them to a motel only

to fly them back to the exact same spot just a few hours later at daylight? I seriously doubt that

is it possible any light whatsoever from the crew while he's moving at night helps? perhaps.

the dude killed a rabbit by throwing a club, I didn't see any cameraman holding the rabbit in place

he focking jumped into freezing lake water in the alps and stayed in for a couple mins which was :lol:

did those maggots not pass his lips?

was the elephant crap fake?

peeps can try and poke all the holes they want but bear is a legit badass and peeps just can't accept it, instead

they're sitting around wondering about 'what could have been' in their jealous lives.

:pointstosky: You finally get one right!

Bear Grylls is pretty focking hot when he takes his clothes off, though. Nice ass.

Bear Grylls is pretty focking hot when he takes his clothes off, though. Nice ass.

Not nearly as hot as me :pointstosky:

Yeah, it's kinda focking stupid when people get all riled up because he 'wore a life jacket' or some such nonsense.

The whole POINT of the show - they even say it in the ads - is to SHOW YOU HOW to deal with a particular situation.

These are the same people who'd :D because the cooking show that only last 30 minutes showed a whole completed roast being taken out of the oven.

Here's a tip - In documentaries - the lions all don't find a kill in 8 minutes. It's called editing. Hope you don't feel too violated. :cry:

like survivorman?

I like both Man -vs- Wild and SurvivorMan.

Do I care if he sleeps on a cot with the crew a night or two out of the week he's there? Not really. I mean, he's way more of a badass than any of us ever will be. This focker drinks his own piss, strains water out of sh1t, eats things that would seriously have me contemplating starvation and death before eating, and people are raising a fuss about him putting a raft together after someone showed him how to do it? for staying a night or two in a hotel or a lodge? how many focking nights has this man not done that?

Regardless, both these shows are excellent to watch, and I'll continue watching them without any negativity :headbanger:

bear is legit; the survivorman dude is a bumbling idiot who wouldn't last too long in a real crisis. he's always focking something up or expending his energy doing something stupid that doesn't work.

bear is legit; the survivorman dude is a bumbling idiot who wouldn't last too long in a real crisis. he's always focking something up or expending his energy doing something stupid that doesn't work.

yeah, expending all that energy setting up his cameras to shoot him doing something, or going somewhere, and then having to go back and get the cameras so he can continue.

The big difference is that Man -vs- Wild, besides having a camera crew with him, he is more of an extremist who will show you the fastest way to get the fock out of there by doing whatever is necessary.

whereas Survivorman shows you how to survive while you wait for someone to find you, ohh, and he has no cameramen or crew, doesn't have a flint to start fires etc... He is all alone for 7 days.

He does however have a satellite phone if he is in a life/death situation and he needs to get the fock out of there ASAP. He's never had to use it though.

They are polar opposites while showing you how to do practically the same thing.

Bear wins in any kind of fight though, hands down! who can survive longer given absolutly nothing? It's a tossup.

I :music_guitarred: both shows though

Bear has a lot more know-how and more skill, but, Les is A LOT more down to earth. You see him doing these pretty crazy survival stuff, and you think "Well, i could probably do that in that situation" we as with Bear, half of the stuff he does your like "There is no FOCKING way i could do that" Bear is a complete and total badass and just crazy, and he always gets out of his situation, whereas Les usually don't.

However, Les has to carry and film everything himself, he basically has to hike everything twice and he gets some great shots. I give him huge props for that. Therefore, the shows are about even, they are both awesome, two of the best shows on TV bar-none.....