Sign in to follow this  
RicemanX

I'm not sold on any QB after Bulger...

I just don't see a reliable #1 QB after Bulger, usually I see one or two guys I can get in the 5th or 6th that I can have as my #1 guy, but i just don't see it this year.

Can someone sell me on a QB after Bulger in the rankings?

I have them:

Manning

Palmer

Brees

Brady

Bulger

and then it is a serious dropoff after that in my opinion..

Funny - I'm not sold on most QBs between Palmer/Manning => 6th-7th round.

Everyone's touting Drew Brees as the #2 QB this year. While possible, I'm not ready to anoint him just yet. Palmer & Manning have a track record, whereas Brees has 1 big season. On paper the Saints have improved defensively a bit, which might curtail the pass-happy ways of last year a bit.

Still I concede that he's in the top 3.

But after that I have issues. Bulger's been hurt every year, all to that same shoulder. NcNabb's been hurt several years in a row, and this time to his knee - a significant injury for a QB who's mobility has made that O-Line look better than it's been for a while now. I am greatly concerned about McNabb taking more hits and getting hurt again. The list goes on and on with the top ranked QBs. Vick = won't play in 2007 IMO, Vince Young has a shot at being the next Steve McNair with Ru/Pa TDs in the double digits, but the team around him is a big question mark. Brady will be taken too high for his production IMO, though he's a pretty safe pick. Eli Manning? No thanks.

No, to me it's guys liek Leinart, who has Fitz/Boldin/Edge to throw to and can be had in the 7th-9th rounds, Alex Smith in the 11th round, Kitna in the 7th-8th rounds, Romo in the 7th-8th rounds, Hasselbeck in the 6th-8th rounds, Rivers in the 6th-8th rounds, etc.

Much safer, less risk, and bigger reward. You've now stacked up at RB/WR in the 1st 5-6 rounds of your draft and one of the late round passers will provide you with +/- 3200 yds/20 TDs.

QB freefall is the way.

You could be right Scooter... Leinart sure looks like he could/should put up some good numbers with that supporting cast... Romo could be a good later round pickup... QB appears to be a potential crap shoot this year... JMHO

I would look at Trent Green in the 10th, if he's healthy, he could have top 5 numbers lie he usually does.

I like the strategy of drafting QBs late; this year I've been shooting for Rivers/Manning typically (I would maybe, but reluctantly go for a 2nd year, and probably not as my #1). I'd also avoid Trent Green because of durability concerns and...we'll see if he can give me more confidence come September.

But anyways, I first started following this strategy last year, and it didn't work out for me at all. Which is why I'm a little worried. I ended last year with Eli/Rivers somehow, but coming out of the draft, I thought I had two stud QBs in the 6th and 7th....

....their names were....

....Jake Plummer and Drew Bledsoe. :unsure: :cry:

(To be fair, this is mainly an issue with job security, age, and the presence of a young up-and-comer. For these reasons I'm going to avoid Green, Kitna, and McNabb if concerns about his health start swirling, and Losman if they start talking about Trent Edwards having a fantastic camp/preseason...I seem to remember Bill Parcells saying no way he was going to pull Drew Bledsoe. And then he did.)

i tend to agree with scooter somewhat. i have been stocking up on RBs and WRs in rounds 1-6 and looking to pick up a QB after that. i've been targeting Leinart, Romo, Rivers, E.Manning, A. Smith, Cutler, Hasselbeck. i don't mind platooning QBs by weekly matchups.

QBs are a crap shoot this yr. but i would rather take a chance on a couple of these guys, than use an early round pick on the top 4-5 QBs. i just feel more comfortable going into the season with one of these guys @ QB, and deep @ RB/WR. you take a QB early you are playing catch up with RB/WR imo.

One man's take:

PManning

Palmer

Brees

Bulger

Brady

McNabb

Kitna

Hasselbeck

EManning

Romo

Young

Leinhart

Rivers

I give Palmer a knock a bit because they face tough def 4x (BaltX2 and PittX2) and because their 3rd receiver situation isn't settled. I consider Brees/Bulger/Brady the next best behind those two. McNabb/Kitna are my wildcards, will probably finish around 6-7 but both could easily climb up the rankings, or fall down them. The next batch is the rollercoaster gang, up one week, down the next. If I can't get McNabb and back him up with somebody pretty good, I'll wait until late for two of the rollercoasters.

I give Palmer a knock a bit because they face tough def 4x (BaltX2 and PittX2) and because their 3rd receiver situation isn't settled. I consider Brees/Bulger/Brady the next best behind those two. McNabb/Kitna are my wildcards, will probably finish around 6-7 but both could easily climb up the rankings, or fall down them. The next batch is the rollercoaster gang, up one week, down the next. If I can't get McNabb and back him up with somebody pretty good, I'll wait until late for two of the rollercoasters.

if memory serves, Palmer's got some decent numbers over Balt the last few games they've played...200+ yds with a TD minimum and even one 300+ 2 TD performance in 2005.

I'm not too concerned with Palmer against Balt.

I just don't see a reliable #1 QB after Bulger, usually I see one or two guys I can get in the 5th or 6th that I can have as my #1 guy, but i just don't see it this year.

Can someone sell me on a QB after Bulger in the rankings?

Which rankings? Do you mean fftoday's rankings with Bulger at #3?

One man's take:

PManning

Palmer

Brees

Bulger

Brady

McNabb

Kitna

Hasselbeck

EManning

Romo

Young

Leinhart

Rivers

McNabb may finish that high, but I'm not touching him there. With the past 2 seasons injury-laden already, I have exactly zero confidence that he can make it through this one for 16 games. My family has a running joke - When his mom comes on TV and tells you to eat your chunky soup because it'll make you play like McNabb, she must mean it'll make you miss half your life due to injury. You'll have a persistent hernia that'll wreck your year, or maybe trip on a phantom rock, destroying your knee. God only knows what is in store for this year, but as long as his mother is feeding him that soup, you'd better believe he'll find some way to top his misfortunes of the past 2 seasons.

Unfortunately, Riceman, you're right.

After Bulger, it's really slim pickins' at the QB spot.

Tony Romo's numbers adjusted for a 16-game season last year would have given him around 3825 yards passing, but that guy (like Kitna) is an interception machine.

D-Mac; not this year.

hmm..after all these replies, I know why Manning, Palmer and Brees are sooo high on the ADP this year.

I guess I will need to decide to draft QB early, or really late.

McNabb may finish that high, but I'm not touching him there. With the past 2 seasons injury-laden already, I have exactly zero confidence that he can make it through this one for 16 games. My family has a running joke - When his mom comes on TV and tells you to eat your chunky soup because it'll make you play like McNabb, she must mean it'll make you miss half your life due to injury. You'll have a persistent hernia that'll wreck your year, or maybe trip on a phantom rock, destroying your knee. God only knows what is in store for this year, but as long as his mother is feeding him that soup, you'd better believe he'll find some way to top his misfortunes of the past 2 seasons.

I agree with McNabb, but when he is healthy, the guy puts up some big time #'s. In my mocks I have been able to pick him up at the end of rd 5 or early 6 quite a bit. Obviously he is an injury risk, but I have loaded up pretty good at that point on rb's and wr's, so I have been taking Kitna, Rivers, etc. within the next round or two depending on how the draft goes. For where McNabb is going, I think he is well worth the risk as he is capable of top 5 #'s when on the field.

My last mock I ended up with:

Not saying it was the best draft or anything like that, but I'd be pretty happy if my real draft goes similiar. If McNabb gets hurt, I have a decent backup.

Rudi 1.10

T. Jones 2.3 (I am pretty high on him so I reached a bit. Brown, MJD, Edge, etc were still there).

Roy Williams 3.10

Housh 4.3

DeAngelo 5.10

McNabb 6.3

Kitna 7.10 (My McNabb pick started a bit of a run on QB's again and Rivers was gone)

T. Glenn 8.3

L. Jordan 9.10

Broncos DST 10.3

DJ Hackett 11.10

Witten 12.3

Brandon Jones 13.10

Kaeding 14.3

Brandon Marshall 15.10

Michael Bush 16.3

a freebie for you guys this year...

take Jay Cutler late in your draft and benefit...he's going to put up top 7 #'s this season...with Javon Walker fully healed and Brandon Marshall and Travis Henry + a very good O'line + his great arm and he's a smart QB....

He's going to be this years Drew Brees from last year...mark my words.....

a freebie for you guys this year...

take Jay Cutler late in your draft and benefit...he's going to put up top 7 #'s this season...with Javon Walker fully healed and Brandon Marshall and Travis Henry + a very good O'line + his great arm and he's a smart QB....

He's going to be this years Drew Brees from last year...mark my words.....

I couldn't agree more. I am def waiting on a QB this year and plan to take either Rivers, Cutler, or Leinart (in that order) later in the draft. After the top 5-6, the next 8 or 6 or7 have the same potential IMO.

I couldn't agree more. I am def waiting on a QB this year and plan to take either Rivers, Cutler, or Leinart (in that order) later in the draft. After the top 5-6, the next 8 or 6 or7 have the same potential IMO.

good idea....

but check Cutler week 13,14,15,16.....2 tds in all those games....and those were his FIRST 4 games playing as a ROOKIE......this kid is the real deal....

if memory serves, Palmer's got some decent numbers over Balt the last few games they've played...200+ yds with a TD minimum and even one 300+ 2 TD performance in 2005.

I'm not too concerned with Palmer against Balt.

Here are last year's stats of Carson vs Balt:

Carson vs Balt on the road Week 9:

12 for 26 195 yards 1 TD and 2 INT's-not great

Carson at home vs Balt Week 13:

21 for 32 234 yards 1 TD and 0 INT's-decent

Totals:

33 for 58 429 yards 2 TD's and 2 INT's

Overall, he did ok vs Balt although as you can see nothing special.

To me, I can see jgcrawfish's point about struggling vs Balt but here is what he did vs Pit:

Carson on the road at Pit in Week 3:

18 for 26 193 yards 4 TD's and 2 INT's

Carson at home vs Pit in Week 17:

20 for 38 251 yards 2 TD's and 0 INT's

Totals 38 for 64 444 yards 6 TD's and 2 INT's

He matches up very well vs a shaky Pit secondary and only so-so vs a solid secondary in Balt.

The bottom line is if you combine his stats vs Pit and Balt, he did pretty well so I wouldn't downgrade Carson because he plays both Balt and Pit twice.

good idea....

but check Cutler week 13,14,15,16.....2 tds in all those games....and those were his FIRST 4 games playing as a ROOKIE......this kid is the real deal....

Exactly. I liken his situation to Palmers a few years back when he was thrown into the starters spot late in the year and did well then blew up the next seaon. Granted its not exactly the same situation b/c Palmer sat a lot longer than Cutler, but I could see the same thing happening to Cutler this year. An upgraded running game wont hurt either. I would honestly expect 3400/24/14, but wouldn't be shocked to see 3750/26/15. I'd be happy with the former from a guy I could get in appox the 9th rd.

I'm targeting Bulger but only if I can get him in the 5th or McNabb in the 6th. I might take a gamble on Kitna if I can get him in 7th (hopefully 8th). But you guys raise an excellent point about Cutler, and I've been playing w/ the idea of pairing him w/ Rivers/Eli/Lienhart/Roethlisberger beginning around the 9th or so. I feel like I could have a stocked lineup if I grab 4RB/4WR and maybe a TE before I find a steal at QB. And I'm guilty of forgetting about Cutler sometimes.

I'm not sold on Bulger or Brees - they both had some pretty bad games last year = fantasy loss in h2h. I traded away Bulger early for Terrell Owens. Then I traded Addai for Vick. Vick was awesome every week except one.

Vick should be top 5 again.

Hmm. Cutler is 23rd on the FFToday cheatsheet. I wonder why so low?

My personal take on Cutler is that he's on a team where his skills might not necessarily translate into amazing production. Denver has always been a team that prefers to punch the ball into the endzone instead of throw, and I also think the gameplan there is and has always been to throw just enough to keep the defense honest, to the benefit of the insane running game. In such situations, the QB's primary job is to take good care of the football - you can expect them to have and try to keep a lead much of the time due to their good defense and running, and most of the time that means the QB isn't going to be as productive as he will on a team with a weaker defense (in which case the game would typically be closer and he will have to throw more to try to win it). I just don't see Shanahan letting Cutler loose enough of the time for him to put up top numbers like everyone here is claiming. I don't know if 23rd is too harsh to push him too, but I do know there are a lot of guys with either more experience, better situations, or both, that I will be targeting much before Cutler.

My personal take on Cutler is that he's on a team where his skills might not necessarily translate into amazing production. Denver has always been a team that prefers to punch the ball into the endzone instead of throw, and I also think the gameplan there is and has always been to throw just enough to keep the defense honest, to the benefit of the insane running game. In such situations, the QB's primary job is to take good care of the football - you can expect them to have and try to keep a lead much of the time due to their good defense and running, and most of the time that means the QB isn't going to be as productive as he will on a team with a weaker defense (in which case the game would typically be closer and he will have to throw more to try to win it). I just don't see Shanahan letting Cutler loose enough of the time for him to put up top numbers like everyone here is claiming. I don't know if 23rd is too harsh to push him too, but I do know there are a lot of guys with either more experience, better situations, or both, that I will be targeting much before Cutler.

I'll join the "dark side"here and add a couple comments. Denver hasn't had a real RB since Portis. Now, they do with Henry. They play Oak, and Az twice, why pass against them? And, vs SD, just keep it close Shanny mentality will surface. I see a lot of 200-250, 1 TD games from Cutler this year. Shanny watched Plummer throw way too many int's to give essentially a rookie a whole lot of leash. Not exactly fantasy gold.

Oaklands defense was pretty good last year. Nambi is the real deal holyfield.

And if i read what jcuarado wrote correctly, it seems as if shanny might give him that freedom. 2 td's a game isn't bad at all. Shows consistency, not just blowing up for 4 tds in one game, and lesser games the other starts.

I'll join the "dark side"here and add a couple comments. Denver hasn't had a real RB since Portis. Now, they do with Henry. They play Oak, and Az twice, why pass against them? And, vs SD, just keep it close Shanny mentality will surface. I see a lot of 200-250, 1 TD games from Cutler this year. Shanny watched Plummer throw way too many int's to give essentially a rookie a whole lot of leash. Not exactly fantasy gold.

Oakland's D isn't that bad...actually it's pretty decent....AZ...last season Cutler lit them up for 261 yds and 2 tds...I'll take that every week from my QB with no prob.....

I'm not saying that Cutler is the next coming of Manning...but the potential to be a top 5-10QB is there. ...this season...and you could get him pretty late if his rankings stay where they are....

good luck.

Then I traded Addai for Vick. Vick was awesome every week except one.

Vick should be top 5 again.

:shocking:

Shanahan did say that they are going to open up the offense with Cutler, like they did with Elway.....

Could easily mean mid-high 3000yds and mid 20's for TD's.

the way it looks, maybe this yr a premium should be placed on manning/palmer. they may much better than other prospects. on the other hand, brees and brady offer upside, while the others (ie bulger, mcnabb) have stats over the past few yrs, with injury history.

with manning, u know what u get: ~4400, 26-29/10; palmer has 12/7 and 10/7 versus pitt and balt, respectively, over the past 3 seasons.

certainty is always a fantasy commodity.

Don't know that I agree with this. Back when they had a guy named Elway, rat used to throw a lot, and when he was the OC at San Fran, they did, too. Now, I'm not saying that Cutler is as good as any of those former QBs, but that punch the ball in thing could be more of a result of having to adjust to the inconsistencies of Plummer. If Cutler is the real deal, Shanny's history suggests that he will let him throw it. Just saying that I don't think that the question here is the system, but whether or not you think the kid can play.

Good thread BTW. :thumbsup:

Don't know that I agree with this. Back when they had a guy named Elway, rat used to throw a lot, and when he was the OC at San Fran, they did, too. Now, I'm not saying that Cutler is as good as any of those former QBs, but that punch the ball in thing could be more of a result of having to adjust to the inconsistencies of Plummer. If Cutler is the real deal, Shanny's history suggests that he will let him throw it. Just saying that I don't think that the question here is the system, but whether or not you think the kid can play.

Good thread BTW. :thumbsup:

great post.

Like I said right above you, they said that they are opening up the offense like they did in the super bowl championship years with Elway!

All that tells me is that they will throw to get ahead, and run to maintain their lead!!!

Kinda how Indy does it, just with a lesser QB than Manning.

I may be a Broncos homer, but I'm not retarded. Manning >>> Cutler

great post.

Like I said right above you, they said that they are opening up the offense like they did in the super bowl championship years with Elway!

All that tells me is that they will throw to get ahead, and run to maintain their lead!!!

Kinda how Indy does it, just with a lesser QB than Manning.

I may be a Broncos homer, but I'm not retarded. Manning >>> Cutler

of course...Manning right now is the best in the league...period. But let's keep in mind Manning's first year as a rookie...his rating was 71.2....

Cutler....who was thrown into the mix....started 5 games and had a rating of 88....not crazy stellar #'s...and of course not enough starts for anything concrete...but still..pretty good...

I've seen the kid play....and he looks like he's going to be one of the next elite QB's in the league...maybe even this year....I hope so....

Phillip Rivers maybe???? I'm sold on this guy. Huge weapons and his stats last year were

3328/22td/9ints

Jackson and Parker that will score some very deep td's

Gates - - well I don't have to explain him

LT2 - well, I don't have to explain this one either

I will happily take him in the 6th-10th all day long over Palmer/Mcnaab/Brees

I may be a Broncos homer, but I'm not retarded.

hrm...I'd say the jury's still out on that one.

zing! :clap:

ok, back to the BBQ. just had to get my drunk zinger on for the day.

Phillip Rivers maybe???? I'm sold on this guy. Huge weapons and his stats last year were

3328/22td/9ints

Jackson and Parker that will score some very deep td's

Gates - - well I don't have to explain him

LT2 - well, I don't have to explain this one either

I will happily take him in the 6th-10th all day long over Palmer/Mcnaab/Brees

I agree. You know LT2 won't score 31 TD's again and with his drop in TD's, I think Rivers picks up some of them. I think has the potential to throw for 25-28 TD's this year despite not the greatest WR's in the league.

What I'm learning in this thread is that I have no chance at Jay Cutler. I think he's very good, and is going to a very good QB for years to come, but some people are drinking way too much of this kool-aid, and completely ignoring - I know they're not forgetting - that he is entering his second season. Not as a starter . . . period. Bumps, stumbles . . . they WILL happen. Name the exception. You can't.

I'm not saying Cutler will be bad, but those of you projecting him to top 7 are over the top. Good grief.

football_scooter - Regarding Drew Brees . . . the reason I think you see him so high is because it is not just one season. I know, from a fantasy perspective, it's just one season. But he had back-to-back years in San Diego that showed that he was very solid, and capable of big things in the right offense. I, for one, was not surprised by his breakout last year. No, I didn't announce it here on the FFToday forum, but I did make a significant trade in my dynasty league to secure his services. :cheers:

Just providing a little more depth to the #2 ranking. I currently have him ranked 2/3 with Palmer.

I agree with McNabb, but when he is healthy, the guy puts up some big time #'s. In my mocks I have been able to pick him up at the end of rd 5 or early 6 quite a bit. Obviously he is an injury risk, but I have loaded up pretty good at that point on rb's and wr's, so I have been taking Kitna, Rivers, etc. within the next round or two depending on how the draft goes. For where McNabb is going, I think he is well worth the risk as he is capable of top 5 #'s when on the field.

My last mock I ended up with:

Not saying it was the best draft or anything like that, but I'd be pretty happy if my real draft goes similiar. If McNabb gets hurt, I have a decent backup.

Rudi 1.10

T. Jones 2.3 (I am pretty high on him so I reached a bit. Brown, MJD, Edge, etc were still there).

Roy Williams 3.10

Housh 4.3

DeAngelo 5.10

McNabb 6.3

Kitna 7.10 (My McNabb pick started a bit of a run on QB's again and Rivers was gone)

T. Glenn 8.3

L. Jordan 9.10

Broncos DST 10.3

DJ Hackett 11.10

Witten 12.3

Brandon Jones 13.10

Kaeding 14.3

Brandon Marshall 15.10

Michael Bush 16.3

I would take Kitna over Rivers everyday. Rivers is game manager notthing exciting in FF.

I have them:

Manning

Palmer

Brees

Brady

Bulger

and then it is a serious dropoff after that in my opinion..

I agree with those 5 for sure.

The next QB who should be taken and may be the safest pick is Hasselbeck followed by Kitna.

I like Romo and Cutler. Rothlesberger (sp) also should have a good season. I am targeting these three guys late. There points per game is pretty impressive in most leagues I was in. Romo/Cutler in rounds 7 and 8 is on game plan I like. Or take one and then get Big Ben in round 9-11.

football_scooter - Regarding Drew Brees . . . the reason I think you see him so high is because it is not just one season. I know, from a fantasy perspective, it's just one season. But he had back-to-back years in San Diego that showed that he was very solid, and capable of big things in the right offense. I, for one, was not surprised by his breakout last year. No, I didn't announce it here on the FFToday forum, but I did make a significant trade in my dynasty league to secure his services. :huh:

Actually, it's more the Saints I have concerns about. They had a magic season what with the national pity party after Katrina. They were inspired and played somewhat out of their heads.

While I've seen Brees have a few good seasons, I'm not entirely sold on the Aints being a consistely solid team. Maybe they were a losing culture for so long that it's tough for me to shake in just one year, but I'm just not as high on them in general as everyone is.

I like Romo and Cutler. Rothlesberger (sp) also should have a good season. I am targeting these three guys late. There points per game is pretty impressive in most leagues I was in. Romo/Cutler in rounds 7 and 8 is on game plan I like. Or take one and then get Big Ben in round 9-11.

:mad: