Sign in to follow this  
ddies23

Why no love for Benson?

Aside from the minimal injury concerns, why is Benson consistanly falling to the late second, even the third round in mock drafts. I see a potential stud RB here. He has tons of upside. He has virtually no competition at the position and he is on a Super Bowl caliber team that loves to run the rock. Jones and Benson combined for 1857 yds and 12 td's last season. Benson is certain to get 20-25 carries a game.

How is his position any different than players like Gore, Addai or Maroney. All are young players, coming off decent seasons. The fact that they now are being put into a featured role has their stock skyrocketing. They are being picked in the top 10, if not the top 5, yet Benson is being considered nothing more than a solid RB2! What gives?!?

They have been trying to make him the #1 RB since he got to Chi-town, but he hasn't shown he can handle it. I think he needs to prove himself as a number 1 back first. Gore and Addai, both proved they could handle the load their first year on the job and Moroney was a backup who looked good as a rookie behind Dillon.

Another reason is Benson will not be an every down back like some think he will. Adrian Peterson (the 1st) will most likely be the 3rd down back and take a few series here and there. Peterson will also handle passing series (when the bears are down big, or at the end of a half). I've always been a fan of Peterson, and so have the bears. He always produces when he's in.

Do any Bear fans have insight?

Benson hasn't stepped up. The Chicago decision makers always wanted Benson to take the job. He could thrive in this situation or he could wither to the pressure. Will he have enough to handle the work load??? He did in college but he hasn't proven that ability in the big time.

I personally wouldn't mind Benson as my #2 RB, but it wouldn't be a 2nd round pick I probably would take someone else in the early 3rd - mid third is where the risk to value is appropriate in my eyes.

He's a steal. Why try to convince people? Just go ahead and draft him in the early to mid 3rd round (or even in the second round) and reap the benefits of his 2007 fantasy stats. He was big at the end of last year and a proven stud in college. Great run-blocking team in Chicago and Thomas Jones is gone. I really can't accept any argument that places Maroney, T. Henry, McGahee ahead of him. Even Addai could be outproduced by Cedric Benson. He could finish top 5 or so and go in the early to mid first round in fantasy drafts in 2008. I think people just don't like him, I'm not a fan.

It may be too early to be calling Benson a steal in late second or early third. However, I absoltuely love his value there as he could be a monster this season. The Bears offense should be improved this year and Benson is a guy they will get 18-25 carries a game. Adrian Peterson is a great backup, the Bears realize it and are not afraid to use him. If anything, the presence of Peterson will go a long way to help Benson get breathers and keep him fresh for the long haul.

Yes, the Bears drafted Benson with the intention that he would be the featured back but they never expected him to come in and just take over the position with Thomas Jones in the fold. They brought him along slowly (albeit not completely their own choice) and it turned out to be a good thing as Benson matured quite a bit.

In most leagues, the touchdown is the golden ticket to weekly domination. Benson gives you that presence and in an offense that should move the ball with a defense that can create turnovers and short fields, with a kick returner that can also give the offense better field position. Benson is going to be closer to the goal line more times than most RBs in the league. Injury and durablity concerns are there as they are for most backs.

I am a Chicago fan and biased, but top ten RB and a solid #1 fantasy RB are where I have him. I would take him as early as 10-12 and would have no problem taking him anywhere in the second if fortunate enough to get him. Featured backs are a luxury in today's RBBC era. Talent has a lot to do with it, but why are the top 5 RBs each season always a featured back? Not saying a RB in a RBBC cannot produce better than a featured back, but given the choice, in an offense that loves to run and control the pigskin, Benson is a stud.

I think he will be a #2 back this year at best and will split time with Peterson. If you believe the hype surrounding Garrett Wolfe, that kid is going to be involved too as a change of pace back.

I think Cedric will get the TD's of course so that could make him a solid #2. I am not taking him in round 2 though, no way. He's got a lot to prove before I can pass on something more proven.

Benson is a late second round choice, with his best value being in the 3rd. There is a reason you see him being taken there, that is where his value lies.

Sometimes its all too easy to develop a certain tunnel vision on a player, and before you know it his value in your own eyes eclipses his actual value.

I asked Ron Turner this question at this years Bears convention..."How do you plan on using Benson this upcoming year?" I was trying to see if he wanted to split time with Adrian Peterson at all. Ron Turner responded with..."We plan on getting Cedric 20-25 carries a game." So, the Bears definitely plan on leaning heavily on him, no question in my mind. I'd say he'd make a pretty solid #2 RB on a team this year.

Below is an article from Bears camp by John Clayton from today:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcam...3&sport=nfl

Ready to carry load

Cedric Benson has a different running style than Thomas Jones, but he should have a great season. Jones ran for 1,330 yards in 2005 and 1,210 yards in 2006. Benson has the potential to better that. He's trained hard this offseason, and Benson is lighter and quicker. He worked at strengthening his stomach muscles in order to give him better balance and power when maneuvering through holes.

Several times in the recent night practice, Benson took an inside hand off and blasted through the middle of the defense for a long gain. Once he gets past the initial wave of tacklers, Benson will compress his upper body around the ball. He explained that his biggest problem in sharing the job was a lack of continuity. He's a runner who excels in the second halves of game after wearing out defenders with his physical style early on. For two years, he'd get on the field for a series or two, then return to the bench. It drove him crazy and prevented him from getting into any kind of rhythm running the ball.

Benson is a late second round choice, with his best value being in the 3rd. There is a reason you see him being taken there, that is where his value lies.

Sometimes its all too easy to develop a certain tunnel vision on a player, and before you know it his value in your own eyes eclipses his actual value.

Like you with Joseph Addai and Antonio Gates? :shocking: :dunno: :wacko: :lol:

They brought him along slowly (albeit not completely their own choice) and it turned out to be a good thing as Benson matured quite a bit.

I want to like him, but his immaturity/attitude is the main reason I don't.

However, if he's changed his colors a bit, I'd definitely be pretty high on him. Any insight that lead you to this statement?

He's a steal. Why try to convince people? Just go ahead and draft him in the early to mid 3rd round (or even in the second round) and reap the benefits of his 2007 fantasy stats. He was big at the end of last year and a proven stud in college. Great run-blocking team in Chicago and Thomas Jones is gone. I really can't accept any argument that places Maroney, T. Henry, McGahee ahead of him. Even Addai could be outproduced by Cedric Benson. He could finish top 5 or so and go in the early to mid first round in fantasy drafts in 2008. I think people just don't like him, I'm not a fan.

Solid information. I'd just add, I own him in a dynasty so I've been following him a bit. He comes across as being a quirky kind of guy. How Ricky Willaims comes off odd, so does Benson. I think Benson has the talent and he's got the drive, he wants to be the man. I just think Ced has an ego issue he viewed himself as better then Jones as a runner and didn't understand why he was such a high pick and he's not the man...so I think he just didn't handle it well. Now that he's the guy, I think his confidence is there, and that's important for him. The only thing I find of Benson that worries me is his vision. Sometimes I don't think he see's the field well, or at least at the times I watched him last year....which wasn't a lot though. I was just offered Portis for him and I turned it down...and I have Betts. Some people may think that's crazy, but I just think he could become a workhorse for the next couple of years. Portis has high mileage as compared to Benson. And for this year, I'd take him over Portis, Thomas Jones and Laurence Maroney. I put him in a tier just above them with guys like Travis Henry, Ronnie Brown, and MJD.

It may be too early to be calling Benson a steal in late second or early third. However, I absoltuely love his value there as he could be a monster this season. The Bears offense should be improved this year and Benson is a guy they will get 18-25 carries a game. Adrian Peterson is a great backup, the Bears realize it and are not afraid to use him. If anything, the presence of Peterson will go a long way to help Benson get breathers and keep him fresh for the long haul.

Yes, the Bears drafted Benson with the intention that he would be the featured back but they never expected him to come in and just take over the position with Thomas Jones in the fold. They brought him along slowly (albeit not completely their own choice) and it turned out to be a good thing as Benson matured quite a bit.

In most leagues, the touchdown is the golden ticket to weekly domination. Benson gives you that presence and in an offense that should move the ball with a defense that can create turnovers and short fields, with a kick returner that can also give the offense better field position. Benson is going to be closer to the goal line more times than most RBs in the league. Injury and durablity concerns are there as they are for most backs.

I am a Chicago fan and biased, but top ten RB and a solid #1 fantasy RB are where I have him. I would take him as early as 10-12 and would have no problem taking him anywhere in the second if fortunate enough to get him. Featured backs are a luxury in today's RBBC era. Talent has a lot to do with it, but why are the top 5 RBs each season always a featured back? Not saying a RB in a RBBC cannot produce better than a featured back, but given the choice, in an offense that loves to run and control the pigskin, Benson is a stud.

Another good post. If he stays healthy this year, he's money.

his YPC stinks and he has gotten little injuries already. Until he proves he is an NFL back then i cant put him ahead of maroney, henry(i think he is gonna be awesome btw), portis and the like...

Guest _my_2_cents_
They have been trying to make him the #1 RB since he got to Chi-town, but he hasn't shown he can handle it. I think he needs to prove himself as a number 1 back first. Gore and Addai, both proved they could handle the load their first year on the job and Moroney was a backup who looked good as a rookie behind Dillon.

Wow - you came up with all that after 1 season in which he held out, then was injured and backing up a very effective Thomas Jones, and seemingly disregard last year when he had a nice YPC and scored the same # of TDs as Jones in half the carries?

:mellow:

I dunno...I think Benson is a steal at his ADP - he's a feature back who's handcuff can be had extremely cheap, he will carry the ball 20-25 times a game on a Superbowl contending team, who's defense will keep them in or ahead in games. He should catch 3-6 passes a game, and will probably have double digit TDs - I'm betting on 11-13.

I think 1300/10 is a very realistic projection for Benson. His injuries are overrated - he banged his knee in the SB and sprained it - it happens. He didn't tear anything, break anything or dislocate anything. He's coming into this season fresh and reports all are that he's a "new man" in terms of attitude.

His reputation is going to help a lot of people who take a chance on him this year. My only concern with Benson is the schedule weeks 13-16, fantasy playoffs/championship. But good RBs get theirs even with stiff competition and I think Benson is a good back. He was expected to be a better, more complete player than Thomas Jones and from what I've seen of his college days and his limited performance last year he could well be.

ADP of 2.10, he's an absolute steal. If Benson falls to the LT or SJax owner, look out - that's a great 1-2.

Benson is one of the few backs I want at the 2.12/3.01 turn in the WCOFF this year (yes, I have the 1 pick). And from the mocks I've done it's 85% realistic.

Hard to call a top 24 pick a "sleeper" but if there's a running back out there to be had at the end of the 2nd who has top 6 upside, it's Benson. Opportunity+ability = recipe for success. From my posts about Portis you know my tollerance for injury risk is low, and I just don't see it with Benson. He's a big punishing back and I think he can hold up for a season. And he's a steal because his reputation is poor and vastly overblown. The media was all over his holdout and then he got hurt and everyone took a nasty "he deserved it" attitude about it. Be smart - capitalize on that bad rap. He's a strong young back who has a shot at 300 carries for a superbowl contender.

Were I drafting anywhere in the top 5 it would be my mission to prevent the LT owner from stealing Benson at 2.12 - and I sure hope that no one in my league this year feels similarly.

Guest _my_2_cents_
his YPC stinks and he has gotten little injuries already. Until he proves he is an NFL back then i cant put him ahead of maroney, henry(i think he is gonna be awesome btw), portis and the like...

His ADP currently has him behind Maroney & Henry and almost even with Portis. And IMO he has better upside than Portis as he plays on a much better team on both sides of the ball.

As for his YPC "stink", you might be looking at the wrong stats. 4.1 ypc isn't lighting the world on fire, but it doesn't "stink" - and he averaged over 5 ypc the last 5 games of the 2006 season. Sometimes guys who finish hot carry that over...I think CB will be one of those guys. I'll take my lumps if I'm wrong.

As someone else in this topic said though - I won't try to convince you otherwise...just my $.02

His ADP currently has him behind Maroney & Henry and almost even with Portis. And IMO he has better upside than Portis as he plays on a much better team on both sides of the ball.

As for his YPC "stink", you might be looking at the wrong stats. 4.1 ypc isn't lighting the world on fire, but it doesn't "stink" - and he averaged over 5 ypc the last 5 games of the 2006 season. Sometimes guys who finish hot carry that over...I think CB will be one of those guys. I'll take my lumps if I'm wrong.

As someone else in this topic said though - I won't try to convince you otherwise...just my $.02

I know his adp has him behind those guys. I was simply replying to another poster above that said they would rank CB ahead of guys like maroney and henry.

Benson has 5 20+ yrd carries on 224 attempts. I wouldn't expect him to get all those yards at once. talk about no burst. :mellow:

Benson has 5 20+ yrd carries on 224 attempts. I wouldn't expect him to get all those yards at once. talk about no burst. :thumbsup:

Good point and it reminds me of why I have him ranked not any higher than 15th.

For the first time in years, I want the first pick. Not because of LT and in the past SA, LJ, the Padre or Faulk. It's because at the turn of the second round, I will be looking at Benson and what is left of Marvin, TO or Holt. Now, that's the core of a team.

My personal opinion is that CB will be a top 5 back at years end. By the end of pre-season, I expect his ADP will be very much higher than today. AP is nothing and never has been.

Reason why he hasen't been able to prove it because of T.Jones was the number one back. Did you watch a Bears game last year. I really think he will be a top 5 back this year.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Good point and it reminds me of why I have him ranked not any higher than 15th.

So you think those 20+ runs are so critical that you'd drop a feature back behind guys like Rudi Johnson, who doesn't catch or Portis who may be in a RBBC and has injury concerns?

I dunno - I like the guys with burst too, but workhorse backs who grind it out 4-6 yds at a time and get GL carries are plenty valuable. And I think some of those 20+ carries are a matter of opportunity. You get more carries, your chances increase of having the right play called at the right time where everyone does their job. Benson has decent speed in the open field - just needs more carries to get those opportunities.

If you mean 15th overall, ok - if you mean 15th among RBs I think you're severely underrating him. All due respect, we can agree to disagree.

Benson scares me. He has upside but he also has this Ricky Williams (minus the pot), Ryan Leaf quality about him. He does an awful lot of whining about extra hits in practice and cheap shots. He hasn't yet gotten close to his team mates. If you read between the lines in quotes from his team and coaches it isn't a rousing endorsement. 'He has a great opportunity to prove himself this year'. I just get the impression that the guy is a major flake.

Benson’s relationship with Jones seems complicated. First, Benson said he wishes Jones all the best and nothing but success with the New York Jets and points out the player got a pretty good deal in the long run. But then he scoffs at Jones saying he’s ”10 times the man and 10 times the player.”

Benson said the punch occurred early in practice on the Wednesday before the Oct. 16 game at Arizona. He said, to his knowledge, Jones wasn’t fined. Benson didn’t pursue the matter with the coaching staff.

”I was able to sit down in my locker and think back on that situation and feel this guy is so intimidated by me, he cannot hold his composure around me,” Benson said. ”So I left it alone.”

Benson said coming to the Bears as the fourth overall selection in the 2004 draft wasn’t so much hard for him as it was hard for some teammates. He apparently rubbed people the wrong way by predicting it wouldn’t take him long to break into the starting lineup, even though that confidence is needed for anybody to succeed in the NFL. He felt shut out as a rookie.

”I guess they didn’t like [my contract] and they were probably good buddies with Thomas,” Benson said. ”I had to deal with that, too, and that is something people don’t really know.”

Consistent solid production tends to heal wounds and make team mates gel but Benson hasn't done that yet. Every time he seems on the cusp of breaking out, he breaks down. His value in PPR is minimal as a receiver out of the backfield. His contract is huge nut for a team that is going into the season with a QB on his last year and at least two other marquee players going into the final year of their contracts (Berrian and Tommy Harris). The "cheap" Bears were throwing money around like Rodney in Caddy Shack this week when they signed Walker from the Bills (via the Eagles). Money is going to be tight for the Bears next year. In a dynasty league, his situation looks less attractive.

Adrian Peterson is not to be under estimated, either. Every time he gets the rock, he produces. He is a standout special teamer too. He is a blue collar "Grabowski" type as Ditka liked to call em. His contract is very tolerable for a team looking to be a long time resident atop the NFC Norris, the division of perpetual rebuilding. In Peterson's only start against the 49ers two seasons ago, he preformed well. He put up 120 yards on only 24 carries (5.0 YPC). Peterson will get the Benson carries from last year which, had he been healthy would have been close to a third. Expect Peterson to come out with the first series of every third quarter and maybe more.

All the chatter about Wolfe is over rated too. Wolfe is not MoJo Drew. Drew has Wolfe by 40 pounds. Drew bounces off people. Wolfe will get buried if they can catch him. That is why Wolfe's role in the offense will be 3rd downs, catching balls in the flats as a check down and a few outside running plays but this guy can't run the ball up the middle. He will not be the #2 RB on the depth chart... ever. IMO.

So you think those 20+ runs are so critical that you'd drop a feature back behind guys like Rudi Johnson, who doesn't catch or Portis who may be in a RBBC and has injury concerns?

I dunno - I like the guys with burst too, but workhorse backs who grind it out 4-6 yds at a time and get GL carries are plenty valuable. And I think some of those 20+ carries are a matter of opportunity. You get more carries, your chances increase of having the right play called at the right time where everyone does their job. Benson has decent speed in the open field - just needs more carries to get those opportunities.

If you mean 15th overall, ok - if you mean 15th among RBs I think you're severely underrating him. All due respect, we can agree to disagree.

I have him ranked 15th running back. I have him ranked higher than Portis and Rudi.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Benson scares me. He has upside but he also has this Ricky Williams (minus the pot), Ryan Leaf quality about him. He does an awful lot of whining about extra hits in practice and cheap shots. He hasn't yet gotten close to his team mates. If you read between the lines in quotes from his team and coaches it isn't a rousing endorsement. 'He has a great opportunity to prove himself this year'. I just get the impression that the guy is a major flake.

out of curiosity, how old is that quote? I just read something recently that said he came into camp with a whole new attitude this year. He's reportedly in outstanding physical condition and has been very mature.

Again - I wasn't there so I don't know, but that quote looks like it might be from last year because it's totally out of synch with what I've been seeing recently.

For example, a quick google brought up this:

July 20, 2007 - 2:04 p.m.

Benson has seemed to be a new man since ascending to the starting. There are no more whispers about him not knowing the playbook, and he has been a diligent worker on the field. Benson is a physical runner who averaged nearly five yards per carry the second half of last season. Benson has looked fluid coming out of the backfield as a receiver and could prove to be better in this role than anyone anticipated.

:banana:

Hmmm you guys have me thinking I may want benson after all now. Risk/reward pick to say the least. How much risk is there really? Injury is about it. He will get the carries.

dude, no way you should rank him above portis and rudi. rudi has 3 years in a row of 1300yrds and 12 touchdowns. if benson does that, yea he is a top back but he aint gonna do it this year. porits is too bad ass to be used in a split rbbc. yea, betts will spell him but portis is the main guy and can outproduce benson even with split time. portis has much higher upside IMO with a bit of risk due to shoulder.

Basically, at the point you could draft Benson, there are other options with less risk, especially at WRs...nobody wants to screw up there 2nd/3rd pick...and with Benson that chance exists

I'm on board. Come November we may be looking at Benson as the steal of the draft. :music_guitarred:

I agree.

Alot of good points and feedback on this subject, but nothing was really stated here that justify's Addai and Maroney a top 5-10 pick and not Benson. A slight injury risk?...Maybe, but just as risky as Maroney. A poor attitude...seems to be in the past. All three split time last season and did virtually the same. All three are on Super Bowl caliber teams. This is not to say that Addai and Maroney wont be just as good, but in my mind there is no reason to draft those two 15-20 spots ahead of Benson.

Basically, at the point you could draft Benson, there are other options with less risk, especially at WRs...nobody wants to screw up there 2nd/3rd pick...and with Benson that chance exists

I agree. I have the number 1 spot.

i plan on going LT/Stud WR/Stud WR if:

holt

TO

Wayne

Harrison

Smith

are there......bypassing benson.

Guest _my_2_cents_
I agree. I have the number 1 spot.

i plan on going LT/Stud WR/Stud WR if:

holt

TO

Wayne

Harrison

Smith

are there......bypassing benson.

Which isn't very smart, since WRs are so inconsistent year to year in terms of where they rank before and then after the season. Plus the dropoff is going to be significant - instead of a RB2 who's low end is 1000/8, and high end is top 7 (1500 total yards, 14 TDs) now your RB2 is going to be one of Jamal Lewis or Ahman Green.

Good luck with that.

Plus the added bonus that if Benson & those WRs are there, you're essentially gift wrapping a quality RB - probably the last feature back on the board, for team #2 who already has SJax and a top 5 WR. Way to level the playing field and nullify your Tomlinson advantage. :music_guitarred:

clayton on the bears....

bears offense

While this may very well be the case, just remember Clayton is the same pencil neck geek who suggested that Nate Burleson was the Real Deal, and that the Vikings wouldn't miss Randy Moss with Nate as their #1. He was gushing about that camp the same way he was in this article. Put it this way, Clayton needs to use hyperbole to make readers excited about his articles, whether he sees things that are "extremely worrying" or "incredible", otherwise no one will care about him. Just take Clayton with a grain of salt, is all. I wouldn't hire him as a talent scout, that's for sure.

why do you say that? are you predicting an injury? Getting benson in the third would be a steal imo and I would have no problem taking him in the second.

why do you say that? are you predicting an injury? Getting benson in the third would be a steal imo and I would have no problem taking him in the second.

In mocks, I've been getting Owens/Holt/Harrison/Wayne in the late 1st (say pick 2.10 out of 12) and then Wayne/Roy Willms/L Fitz in the 2nd (pick 3.03 of 12).

Then, coming back around in the 4th and 5th turn, you can grab 1 or 2 of A Pederson, M Lynch, M Barber, D Williams, C Williams as your #2 RB.

If you take M Barber in the 5th, sometimes JJones will fall all the way back to you in the 6th (6.10).

Then, through those 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th rounds you have the opportunity to go after "single RBs" like A Green, J Lewis, and L Jordan... or if you're on the turn (1, 2, or 3 spot), you can grab a tandem with back to back picks (T Bell & K Jones, J Norwood & W Dunn, C Brown & Lendale White).

There isn't a whole lot to suggest to me that C Benson is going to be a whole lot better than some of those mid-to-late round RB you can grab. Caddy may rip it up again this year. AP is running behind a huge o-line that helped CTaylor to 1500+ yards last year

your draft could end up like this:

1. stud RB of your choice (you fill in the blank)

2. Owens

3. Roy Williams

4. Caddy

5. A Peterson

6. V Jackson/J Galloway/B Edwards/Kitna/or top tier TE

7. V Jackson/J Galloway/B Edwards/Kitna/or top tier TE

8. C Brown

9 L White

There are obviously people that are higher on him that others...and I will admit I am one of them...his ADP has been pretty steady around the 20-25 mark. But had he been "pre-season ranked" closer or inside the top 10 by the "experts" or put on the cover of Fantasy Football Index, he'd be labled a lock RB1 just like Maroney and Addai this season. But, they chose to take the safe route because of his "lack of experience"? I just dont get it. Maybe if he was on the Colts or Pats, he would be ranked inside the top 5 too.

Guest _my_2_cents_
In mocks, I've been getting Owens/Holt/Harrison/Wayne in the late 1st (say pick 2.10 out of 12) and then Wayne/Roy Willms/L Fitz in the 2nd (pick 3.03 of 12).

Then, coming back around in the 4th and 5th turn, you can grab 1 or 2 of A Pederson, M Lynch, M Barber, D Williams, C Williams as your #2 RB.

If you take M Barber in the 5th, sometimes JJones will fall all the way back to you in the 6th (6.10).

Then, through those 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th rounds you have the opportunity to go after "single RBs" like A Green, J Lewis, and L Jordan... or if you're on the turn (1, 2, or 3 spot), you can grab a tandem with back to back picks (T Bell & K Jones, J Norwood & W Dunn, C Brown & Lendale White).

There isn't a whole lot to suggest to me that C Benson is going to be a whole lot better than some of those mid-to-late round RB you can grab. Caddy may rip it up again this year. AP is running behind a huge o-line that helped CTaylor to 1500+ yards last year

your draft could end up like this:

1. stud RB of your choice (you fill in the blank)

2. Owens

3. Roy Williams

4. Caddy

5. A Peterson

6. V Jackson/J Galloway/B Edwards/Kitna/or top tier TE

7. V Jackson/J Galloway/B Edwards/Kitna/or top tier TE

8. C Brown

9 L White

All due respect, but this is deeply flawed. I've been doing mocks at xpertsports since they use WCOFF format, and none of Caddy, MBIII, MJD, Norwood or DeAnkelo Williams are sitting there at the 4-5 turn when picking 1.01

No offense intended but you are making some pretty bold statements here with what I believe are unrealistic scenarios.

Saying you can go RB-WR-WR and presenting it like a slam dunk that one of those guys will be there and not cost you any production is a fallacy. No guarantee that any of them are there an ADP and the 20 mocks I've done supports this. You're lucky to get an Ahman Green (80% of my mocks) a Jamal Lewis (85% of my mocks) or one of the Minny RBBC from hell guys at that 4-5 turn, and even that's not a guarantee.

Then looking at it practically, you've now exposed yourself to others in your draft by going RB-WR-WR...those picking before you now know that you're taking a RB here, so guess what's going to happen? Yep - they'll take as many as possible because you've telegraphed your strategy. and they know that to get a RB they can't wait until the next round. Not to mention that you've also limited yourself to miss out on the many value WRs that have consistently fallen to the late 4/early 5 range like Coles, Reggie Brown, etc - WR2s who have WR1 upside.

The chances of landing a WR1-caliber player in the 4th - 5th rounds dramatically exceeds the chances of landing a RB2 caliber RB.

Picking from the 1 or 2 spot, Benson at 2.11/2.12 would be a steal, giving you LT2(SJax)/Benson/WR1 then freeing you up to take best available at 4-5.