Sign in to follow this  
big easy

Direct TV Sunday Ticket Deal - threaten to cancel

Good to see so many are cheap also. It's all Direct TV's fault for supplying a service you want, but you just don't wanna pay for? Makes perfect sense, Yet I'm the Jack Ass, haha.

yep, you are the jack ass

There is nothing wrong with trying to get an honest deal, but you guys are just scamming the system, yet you are the same people who ###### its all messed up....things that make you go hmmmmm?

I bet when you guys buy your cars you run right to the cheapest pos out, with no regards to safety, resale value, gas mileage anything that matters, just as long as its cheap. Instead of figuring out ways to scam the system, go get a better job and not have to worry about a 180 bucks, that they give you time to pay over 4-5 months.

If you all stopped renting cheap man whores, you should have no issues paying you're Direct TV bill.

this guy needs his a** kicked, preferably right in front of his boyfriend/husband and his adopted children from china!

Yeah until you get cancer or have a heart attack, then you are get to sit and wait and see what happens first, you get second rate medical treatment or die on a waiting list. But hey, you have the McKenzie brothers and prostitution is legal.

You are joking, right? This is meant to joke about the perceived way the Canadian Health system is run? If not, you are cementing what most of us up here think...

For the record:

1. Wrong about the waiting

2. Wrong about the treatment

3. Wrong about prostitution

Just switched from optimum to dtv. With nfl pkg, I got 4 months of the every channel possible package for 69.99/month, free HD receiver, a second non hd receiver for the other tv and a $50 visa card after I fill out some crap survey or something. Not a bad deal. They're gonna install tomorrow, but if they don't show up in alloted time I'm gonna call and say I don't want it now, based on what i've read in this thread...

PS: for anyone that believes you shouldn't milk a corporation for any and every thing you can, you're a sucker. These corporations are out of control, and this one particularly has a monopoly on the nfl tkt. They are for sure over charging you for the service, whatever that charge is. Though I was stunned to get the package plus 4 months of every channel for just 70/month...

Just switched from optimum to dtv. With nfl pkg, I got 4 months of the every channel possible package for 69.99/month, free HD receiver, a second non hd receiver for the other tv and a $50 visa card after I fill out some crap survey or something. Not a bad deal. They're gonna install tomorrow, but if they don't show up in alloted time I'm gonna call and say I don't want it now, based on what i've read in this thread...

PS: for anyone that believes you shouldn't milk a corporation for any and every thing you can, you're a sucker. These corporations are out of control, and this one particularly has a monopoly on the nfl tkt. They are for sure over charging you for the service, whatever that charge is. Though I was stunned to get the package plus 4 months of every channel for just 70/month...

Again.. lets not forget the NFL is the monopoly here, not DIRECTV.

Again.. lets not forget the NFL is the monopoly here, not DIRECTV.

whatever the semantics may be, DTV is the one you have to deal with if you want the NFL package. Them and no one else. Thus, if they tell you it costs $500, when they can really provide it to you for $300 and still make a healthy profit, no one can stop them. THEY have a monopoly on providing the NFL ticket to consumers. Regardless, the NFL is a corporation in itself. They rip you off on tickets and $6.75 hotdogs any time you go to the game. If I could put the heat on someone to get $$$ chopped off the cost of heading to the stadium, damn well better believe I would be exercising that option!

I'm pretty sure everyone here would not pay the exact MSRP for a vehicle off the lot. Don't knock someone for getting a deal. Please!

Its people like you who keep the price climbing. If people just paid for it, then we might actually get a stable price. They let you pay for it over time, and if you can afford HD then you can afford Sunday ticket and SF. Crazy how damn cheap some people are. :wall:

I assume that this is a fishing trip, otherwise, easily the stupidest post this year... and that's saying something.

This would be the worst understanding of the free market economic system ever! As a consumer, it's your responsibility to get the lowest price, which in turn drives DOWN market price... there's no limit to supply! If people "just paid for it", as you say, they will keep RAISING the price until people won't pay for it.

Again, this is most likely a fishing trip, 'cuz nobody is this dumb.

Same as last year, but a little better. If you read my OP, I call Direct TV every year to cancel the Sunday Ticket when I receive our first bill showing the automatic renewal. Last year I used a different twist, shown to me by another FFT board member on a different forum. I called to cancel and when they offered $5 a month, I politely declined and just hung up. They usually call back on the 6th day after you cancel and offer a much better deal than the regular listed price. They did as expected and I received $80 off the regular price and Super Fan for free. This was $180 off. I was very happy with the result.

This year I used the same tactic. My original call to cancel was 2 weeks ago. I never received a call back with an offer for a discount on the ST. I did get calls from them a couple of times offering some movie package deals, but not the deal I was looking for in the holy grail of direct tv service. I now suspect that I was maybe getting these calls from them with them expecting me to crack and just sign back up. I didn't budge. Now entering my 3rd week without a deal(this is as close as I will ever get to how an undrafted free agent feels), and the season fast approaching, I broke down and called(customer retention 1-800-824-9081). I basically told them that someone had called me earlier in the week and offered me what they did last year. I was completely fabricating this conversation in hopes of getting the same deal. I waited on the phone with the agent for a few minutes and they came back with an even better deal than I got last year.

Details-

Regular Price - $57.99/month for 6 months

Super Fan - $100

Total - $447.94

I got-

$37.99/month for 6 months

Super Fan - free

Total - $227.94

Total savings - $220

She also told me that she was able to offer me this because I had a loyal customer tag on our account due to the amount of time we have been with them and the fact that we always keep our account in good standing. I'm not sure if everyone will qualify for this, I'm just putting my experience out there so fellow FFTers can give it their best shot with the info that I have presented.

Good luck guys.

Its people like you who keep the price climbing. If people just paid for it, then we might actually get a stable price. They let you pay for it over time, and if you can afford HD then you can afford Sunday ticket and SF. Crazy how damn cheap some people are. :cry:

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board and that it saying a lot! :lol:

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board and that it saying a lot! :dunno:

Direct TV aint getting my money because their cheap ass charges 100 more bucks for HD games. IF you are paying for the HD channels and buy the service, the HD channels should come too.

Its people like you who keep the price climbing. If people just paid for it, then we might actually get a stable price. They let you pay for it over time, and if you can afford HD then you can afford Sunday ticket and SF. Crazy how damn cheap some people are. :dunno:

Alan Greenspan? I didn't know you posted here :unsure:

I just called direct TV and nonchalantly mentioned that I wanted to cancel my Sunday ticket and the rep right away offered to reduce the cost by $40. Thank you, big easy. I'm pissing all over the shower tonight.

:rolleyes: CLASSIC! Thanks for the laugh...

So i ordered my new Direct TV and Sunday Ticket about 2-3 weeks ago and cancelled comcast (luckily I am still getting free basic comcast) Direct was supposed to come last Sunday and they never did, they couldnt get a hold of the rep and had no clue. I wasnt too happy. So i called back again later to talk to Direct TV and told them I was thinking about cancelling before I even started. In the end I got upgraded from the HD receiver to the DVR/HD receiver, and $101 off my bill for them not showing up.

I was already getting a $50 visa check card, and only paying $49.99 for the first 4 months for all the works, so now basically my first 3 months are FREE :overhead:

Dude, better read the fine print..you're on the hook for two years, after the first 4 mos. you either downgrade or pay 104.99 per month after that. Make sure you downgrade before the 5th month and cancel sunday ticket or they will auto renew you for next year at prevailing rate. There's always a catch.

Dude, better read the fine print..you're on the hook for two years, after the first 4 mos. you either downgrade or pay 104.99 per month after that. Make sure you downgrade before the 5th month and cancel sunday ticket or they will auto renew you for next year at prevailing rate. There's always a catch.

I think he's eight months too late.

(check the original post date)

:overhead:

I've had the sunday tickets for 5 years and can't have it anymore... To make a long story short. I moved into an apartment that won't let u get directv, so no more sunday ticket :pointstosky:

Anyone out there willing to sell their internet part of the ticket? U can get back to me with your price at pwagner4@wi.rr.com

Thanks,

you guys are all blasted for just not stealing satellite like a large majority of people do

paying for service is for church people

whatever the semantics may be, DTV is the one you have to deal with if you want the NFL package. Them and no one else. Thus, if they tell you it costs $500, when they can really provide it to you for $300 and still make a healthy profit, no one can stop them. THEY have a monopoly on providing the NFL ticket to consumers. Regardless, the NFL is a corporation in itself. They rip you off on tickets and $6.75 hotdogs any time you go to the game. If I could put the heat on someone to get $$$ chopped off the cost of heading to the stadium, damn well better believe I would be exercising that option!

Do you also realize DIRECT TV pays the NFL to be the only network that can offer the NFL network? you think that's free?

Every year I call Direct TV and threaten to cancel the Sunday Ticket due to rising prices. I try to at least get the Super Fan for free or some money off of the regular price and it usually works. I was on another board and a poster said that he threatened to cancel and they just said ok and did it. He waited them out and they called six days later with an offer of $80 off the regular price and the SF for free. I went through the same exact process and they cancelled me also without offering anything initially. Low and behold they called just now from a 1-877 number, exactly six days later and offered me the same deal the other guy got and I jumped on it. The reason I am telling you the type of number that they called from is if you are like me and see a 1-877 number on the caller ID you might not answer it. I did that twice today. It will now cost me only $160 for the whole package. It saved me $180 dollars because I would have definitely had to get the SF package due to my addiction to HD football.

I hope everyone that gets the ticket and tries this strategy has the same outcome that I did. Good luck.

I went through my routine again this year and the results were better and easier. I'm just letting everyone know my strategy and the exact results that I came upon so that you can also try to cut a better deal for yourselves if you wish.

Usually I go through the charade of actually cancelling my ST and waiting for them to call back, but this year that wasn't even necessary. I just told them that times were tough and I would be watching the ST at my father-in-law's house since he got offered the whole package for $150 with the Super Fan for free. I told them that I didn't really like my FIL all that much but would stomach him to save the money. I then said that if they offered me the same deal that he received, I would take it and that would save me the grief of having to hang with him. All of this is made up, of course. You can insert whatever BS you feel comfortable with. The rep asked me to please hold. He came back a couple of minutes later and told me that I had a deal.

Instead of what my latest bill said it would cost me at $44.99/month for ST and $16.50/month for SF, both for 6 months, it is now only $25/month for 6 months for both. That is a savings of $218.94 or roughly 60% off.

There was a tool on here last year that blasted me for taking this line of defense against the monopoly that is Direct TV's marriage with the NFL and refusing to pay their exorbitant prices. Please save me that nonsense this year. I refuse to get into an argument with someone like this about how horrible of a person that you might think I am for doing this. The simple fact is that in this country a product is only worth what the consumer is willing to pay. For this consumer that number just happens to be $150 and my adversary obviously agrees.

Good luck everyone.

I went through my routine again this year and the results were better and easier. I'm just letting everyone know my strategy and the exact results that I came upon so that you can also try to cut a better deal for yourselves if you wish.

Usually I go through the charade of actually cancelling my ST and waiting for them to call back, but this year that wasn't even necessary. I just told them that times were tough and I would be watching the ST at my father-in-law's house since he got offered the whole package for $150 with the Super Fan for free. I told them that I didn't really like my FIL all that much but would stomach him to save the money. I then said that if they offered me the same deal that he received, I would take it and that would save me the grief of having to hang with him. All of this is made up, of course. you can insert whatever BS you feel comfortable with. The rep asked me to please hold. He came back a couple of minutes later and told me that I had a deal.

Instead of what my latest bill said it would cost me at $44.99/month for ST and $16.50/month for SF, both for 6 months, it is now only $25/month for 6 months for both. That is a savings of $218.94 or roughly 60% off.

There was a tool on here last year that blasted me for taking this line of defense against the monopoly that is Direct TV's marriage with the NFL and refusing to pay their exorbitant prices. Please save me that nonsense this year. I refuse to get into an argument with someone like this about how horrible of a person that you might think I am for doing this. The simple fact is that in this country a product is only worth what the consumer is willing to pay. For this consumer that number just happens to be $150 and my adversary obviously agrees.

Good luck everyone.

Can you still make the joke about getting out of the shower to take a piss because it's the right thing to do? I like that one :overhead:

you guys are all blasted for just not stealing satellite like a large majority of people do

paying for service is for church people

YOU'RE WHITE TRASH!!!!

I have been doing this for 3 years now. This year I also did it with the baseball package and they gave me the Baseball package for FREE!!! This is what I have recieved in discounts this year in 2 phone calls.

Called to cancel my entire service in March and said comcast was giving me the MLB package for free. I was very kind and said I loved DirectV but in this economy I have to take the deals while they are available. This is what they gave me.

- MLB package for free

- $5 off my bill each month for 12 months

- All premium channels free for 3 months

- No HD charge for 12 months.

I called again last week, not to cacel my whole subscription, but to cancel the ticket. I said the superfan was too much and the only reason I get the superfan was the HD. I do not even want that other crap. They offered me superfan for half price. I said thank you but it is still too much. They then said another promo popped up and the could give me superfan free. I took it.

They tried to stick it in my ass on the HD NFL games. I incorrectly assumed that since I owned an HD box and ordered the NFL Ticket, that all the games would be in HD. [charliemurphy]WRONG![/charliemurhpy]. Turns out you have to pay yet another fee for the HD games. After threatening to pull the plug on the whole thing, I got them free.

I just called and said I was going to comcast becasue of their new 12 month -- phone / internet / cable deal for 80 bucks. I am paying 100 with DTV right now for a lot less. Told them i was cancelling and also threw in how I can't even get the sunday ticket anymore because the price has gone through the roof.

They offered me 6 months of everything at current cost and FREE Sunday ticket ( w/o superfan ) -- stating I had been a loyal customer for 5 years and this was their way of paying me back. said they would throw in 12 months HD as well.

I guess comcast is really killing these guys right now with that deal!

I just called and said I was going to comcast becasue of their new 12 month -- phone / internet / cable deal for 80 bucks. I am paying 100 with DTV right now for a lot less. Told them i was cancelling and also threw in how I can't even get the sunday ticket anymore because the price has gone through the roof.

They offered me 6 months of everything at current cost and FREE Sunday ticket ( w/o superfan ) -- stating I had been a loyal customer for 5 years and this was their way of paying me back. said they would throw in 12 months HD as well.

I guess comcast is really killing these guys right now with that deal!

Comcast and Verizon FiOS

Comcast and Verizon FiOS

:wave:

I was going to switch to comcast if thats what your saying

:wave:

I was going to switch to comcast if thats what your saying

I'm saying both Comcast and Verizon FiOS have D-TV scared. In fact, FiOS has Comcast scared as well, which is why they are offering the deals. FiOS is the best product out there.

Yeah but don't you have to arrange to share your bandwith with your neighbors when using FIOS? :mellow:

Every year I call Direct TV and threaten to cancel the Sunday Ticket due to rising prices. I try to at least get the Super Fan for free or some money off of the regular price and it usually works. I was on another board and a poster said that he threatened to cancel and they just said ok and did it. He waited them out and they called six days later with an offer of $80 off the regular price and the SF for free. I went through the same exact process and they cancelled me also without offering anything initially. Low and behold they called just now from a 1-877 number, exactly six days later and offered me the same deal the other guy got and I jumped on it. The reason I am telling you the type of number that they called from is if you are like me and see a 1-877 number on the caller ID you might not answer it. I did that twice today. It will now cost me only $160 for the whole package. It saved me $180 dollars because I would have definitely had to get the SF package due to my addiction to HD football.

I hope everyone that gets the ticket and tries this strategy has the same outcome that I did. Good luck.

I just called and cancelled mine after taking a look at my bill!!! 44.99 for the base package + $16.50 for the Super Fan X 5 or 6 payments = TOO MUCH FOR MY BLOOD.

When I called to cancel not even a hint to give me a better deal, just credited my account the $$ I already paid for the first installment. I have had NFL Ticket since the 1997 season and got absolutely nothing from them all this time, SCREW Direct TV, even if they do call me I most likely still won't renew!

I just called and cancelled mine after taking a look at my bill!!! 44.99 for the base package + $16.50 for the Super Fan X 5 or 6 payments = TOO MUCH FOR MY BLOOD.

When I called to cancel not even a hint to give me a better deal, just credited my account the $$ I already paid for the first installment. I have had NFL Ticket since the 1997 season and got absolutely nothing from them all this time, SCREW Direct TV, even if they do call me I most likely still won't renew!

superfan is worthless.. but 300 bucks is worth watching 16 NFL games of your favorite team. I actually pay to watch 12 games since I can see the Skins play the Iggles and Giants on regular local TV.

wait a week they will call you back I gaurentee it.

They want to make it look like they don't care either thinking you won't follow through.

So after reading this thread, I decided to try it even though I didnt care to begin with.....my current billing was the same 44.99 plus 16.50 for 6 months or 270.00 plus 99.00.

I called in said I wanted to cancel my service, said price is too high and a co-worker said he was getting all of it for 150 (thanks big easy) and the guy immediately said, "Well what if I told you I could give it to you for less than that?" to which I answered "You're a filthy liar!" lol. ok, maybe that wasnt my response.

Anyway, my new Sunday ticket plus SuperFan for 2009 costs 135 + 0

Thanks to all of you for getting my lazy ass to pick up the phone. Peace.

I just did the same, but I was being sincere because it's just not worth how much they try to charge you. I told them I think it's ridiculous to pay for the Sunday Ticket and then have to pay extra just to get the games in HD. What's the point of paying for Sunday Ticket to watch games in regular definition? They took off $20/month for 6 months, free DVR for 6 months, free Super Fan and free Showtime for 6 months. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Call their bluff, fxdx. Like Moz said, it is a guarantee that customer retention will call you back. There is no way they will pass up whatever dough you are willing to pay. These are airwaves that they are slinging. There is no extra cost to them for you to receive the service for whatever price you agree to pay them. Something is better than nothing. I thought $150 was fair so that is what I threw out there.

I love the fact that Agent575 actually did $15 better than I. Good job, buddy.

Call their bluff, fxdx. Like Moz said, it is a guarantee that customer retention will call you back. There is no way they will pass up whatever dough you are willing to pay. These are airwaves that they are slinging. There is no extra cost to them for you to receive the service for whatever price you agree to pay them. Something is better than nothing. I thought $150 was fair so that is what I threw out there.

I love the fact that Agent575 actually did $15 better than I. Good job, buddy.

Instead of screening my calls I will be answering every call for the next few days!

Call their bluff, fxdx. Like Moz said, it is a guarantee that customer retention will call you back. There is no way they will pass up whatever dough you are willing to pay.

I assumed this last year and they never called to offer me anything after I cancelled. I had gotten the deals the previous two years and they finally called my bluff. I however don't feel I need the ticket any longer. I found myself feeling compelled to stay home and do nothing on a Sunday every week to justify my purchase. I wouldn't go to the bars to meet friends, or doing anything constructive with my time.

I actually don't miss it. :pointstosky:

When I watch the local, I'm glued to my laptop following the other games anyways. It's really all I need.

If you guys really want to put your foot down with Direct TV. You just have to stop buying it and force their hand that way. A year or two of plummeting sales might do the trick.

Being Canadian is so wonderful :pointstosky: :banana: :doublethumbsup:

Home of the 10 dollar contact dance....

me and my my friends have resorted to making up bachelor parties just to get up there one a year.... :headbanger:

Just call DirecTV that you are switching to DishNetwork this works better than you think.

I just got off the phone with Direct TV. They first offered $10 off for six months. I said it was too expensive still so they offered my $20 off for 6 months and Super Fan for free. Thats basically half off. I was prepared to go without the NFL ticket as I was going to go to the local sports bar with my friend, but if they want to give it to me for this price I will keep it. I assume half price is better than nothing.

I'm looking to switch everything over to Verizon. Although Fios Tv service is available in parts of my town, it isn't available in my location.

All cable and phone lines are underground on my street. I was told that it might take another year or two before they get to us. Sucks!

I was told that Direct Tv charged a few hundred dollars to cancel service. Is that true? I don't have DTV, but while I was in the Verizon wireless store, I mentioned to the salesmen that I wanted to switch over to Fios, and that is when he told me that it wasn't available in my location.

He tried to get me to change over my landline/internet and also mentioned that he would set me up for a Direct Tv service. He said that when the Fios was available to me that I could cancle the DTV. I should mention that all 3 would cost $226 for 3 months and then drop to $180 per month.

My triple play Optimum from Cablevision costs $235 per month now.

The offer was...Free Showtime for a year, free 80 gig notebook computer, and free NFL Ticket for 2009.

I currently have Cablevision.

Someone told me that the DTV On Demand was horrible. ? My Wife and kids use that feature all the time.