Sign in to follow this  
Hurricane Ditka

***Official Week #2 College Football***

Ok Philly.....im rolling with you again tonight man. Ya won me $150 last night with Cincy...though i dont know one player from either team.

Waiting and playing Navy +17 and Calgary......whoever they are.

What do you guys like tonight for the Rutgers/ Navy game??

-16 for Rutgers which seems eerily low considering they are playing Navy. Then i saw it was down to 15.5

One reason the lined moved is because Dr. Bob is on Navy. I also think some of the smart $ is on them.

One reason the lined moved is because Dr. Bob is on Navy. I also think some of the smart $ is on them.

Yeah it all makes sense.......im not terribly great with this stuff so i roll with you guys on most bets. Just was curious why the line was that low....

Philly:

How do you feel about the total in the Rutgers/Navy game? I am leaning towards the under (48.5) due to the fact that both of these teams will be running the ball a ton.

Philly:

How do you feel about the total in the Rutgers/Navy game? I am leaning towards the under (48.5) due to the fact that both of these teams will be running the ball a ton.

I rarely play totals in college, and tonight doesn't look like an exception. Scoring patterns are a bit more haggard when it comes to college sports. I don't like any 1st H plays either. And maybe I might consider a halftime play. Just taking it easier tonight, not eager to give back last night's money.

Basically, I'll have one eye on both games, and the other eye in a bottle of rum tonight, as I construct my Saturday card.

NCAA YTD 3-2

After laying an 0-2 egg on opening night, I got back on track with a solid 3-0 Saturday. I don't play near the quantity games that many do, especially early in the season. Just can't process that much info, I suppose. But here are a couple plays that I like this weekend:

TCU @ Texas: After the stellar start of the Colt McCoy era, the Longhorns have been pretty pedestrian, closing out last season with losses to conference foes Kansas St & Texas A&M, a lackluster win over a crappy Iowa team in their bowl, and a 21-13 win last week over Arkansas State. Maybe the week 1 funk was just a case of sleepwalking through a weak opponent, but I think there's more to it. Texas' O-line simply couldn't dominate Ark St, and TCU possesses one of the best defensive fronts in the nation. Their speed and scheme should allow them to put pressure on McCoy, and Texas' inability to run the ball and inexperience at WR will compound the problem.

TCU has it's own problems, with a freshman QB and injuries at RB & DE. But this is their biggest game in years, and gives them a chance for their biggest win since upsetting Oklahoma a couple years ago in the season opener. TCU is loaded with Texas kids that couldn't get a sniff from the state's big program, and that's a big factor in motivating college football players. Too many points here imo. Texas may be living off it's reputation, and TCU needs this game to have a shot at being this year's Boise St. TCU +9

________________________________________________________________________________

BYU @ UCLA: The Cougars own the PAC 10 lately, outscoring Oregon and Arizona 58-15 in their last two games. They won't be intimidated by UCLA. They held Arizona scoreless (not that that's any great indicator) for 59 minutes last week. Their last loss was Sept 16, 2006 in double OT at Boston College. Mendenhall and his staff don't get the credit they deserve. Their game planning has resulted in the Cougars scoring first in their last 13 contests. BYU is one of the few teams in the country that can match UCLA's size on the line. The concern is that they can't come close to matching their speed overall.

The Bruins want this game to cement them as a legitimate Top 10 caliber team. QB Ben Olson looked good last week and is healthy, giving him a chance to meet the expectations he had when he entered college...at BYU. Olson HAS to stay healthy, as backup QB Cowan is unavailable due to injury. The Bruins are loaded at RB, and should move the ball effectively on the ground. UCLA is just a bit dinged up in the secondary, and that's scary against BYU's spread offense. Stanford managed 330+ passing yards vs this defense last week (granted, playing from behind the entire game), and had 7 players with 3 or more receptions. UCLA's stud DE was held without a sack last week as well. If they can't put pressure on the QB, it could make for a long day.

The Mountain West has been good to me the last season and a half. I'm a fan (see my pick of TCU). Dorrell and staff have the challenge of keeping the Bruins focused for a couple weeks as they play the MWC (@ Utah next week). I'd feel a bit better if BYU had some more experience under center, but that system has made a lot of QB look really good. I got this at BYU +7.5, and that's too many to turn down imo.

________________________________________________________________________________

South Florida @ Auburn : The Aubrun-Kansas State game last week was virtually unwatchable if you like offense...even a little bit. Auburn did nothing until late in the game, giving 'inept' a whole new level of meaning. Kansas State's QB Freeman, their only exceptional player, limped through the entire contest. Still, Auburn's defense never really got a lot of pressure on him.

USF has made great strides the last couple years, going from a team playing the role of home field spoiler to one poised to get that big win. Their young QB is a star in the waiting. They'll defend, and they're fast; one of a small group of teams that should be able to match speed with an SEC opponent. They're a little lean at the skill positions aside from QB, but this can be a defining win for this program. It's my third road dog in a row...YIKES...but I'm taking South Florida +7

NC State @ BC: The Wolfpack is bad. Really, really bad. They lost 25-23 to a Central Florida team that hadn't beaten a BCS school in 7 years. Want to hear more? How about UCF led 25-3 at the half. NC State had 85 yards rushing, which looks pretty good considering they had -14 yds at the break. Overall, UCF outgained NC State by 200 yards in the first half. Yes, NC State rallied and even had a chance to win the game...until a substitution penalty blew their last shot.

Meanwhile, Boston College is good. Really, really good.

Tom O'Brien made the rare coaching move within conference to take the NC State job. Be careful what you ask for. He's a notoriously conservative coach that wants to grind it out and win with defense. The Eagles offensive players look like they've been let out of jail. Let the whoopin' commence. BC -14 is a lot of points, but not near enough to spook me here.

I think that's probably it for me, boys. I'd love to take Wake + at home vs Nebraska, but latest info appears that QB Skinner (not to be confused with Principal Skinner) doesn't play for the Deacons. I think Boise could put it to Washington, but can't bring myself to take yet another road team with an unproven QB. I came into the year expecting to make some money on Missouri's offense, but their defense is so bad it's frightening.

Good luck to all!

GO RUTGERS!

I see a lot of you betting on the California vs. Colorado State Game so I will give you all some information since I'm close to the Colorado State Rams.

Last week against Colorado our defense was very bad. Although we outgained colorado both running the ball and passing, we looked very slow on both sides of the ball. Our special teams was horrible. In the thrird quater we managed to take the lead 28-17 and as usual let them back in the game and lost in overtime. This leads to me this weeks game and some information for you all.

Our special teams gave up over 200 yards to colorado and yet we face California who has probably the best special teams and returner in the nation. We are also very slow on both sides of the ball and California looked very fast against Tennessee. This week at practice some of the seniors were questioning the coaches on how they played to not lose the game instead of trying to win it. We basically went into a prevent offense. Plus so many of the players are so down after losing such a big game in overtime.

I see two scenerios from a gambling stand point. Either take cal -14 or just stay away from the game. Colorado State is not the bet here. We may be tough for a quarter but after that I see a lot of pain for Colorado State. I see a game score something like 49-17 or 49-24.

My team will go down.

Just my 2 cents.

South Florida @ Auburn : The Aubrun-Kansas State game last week was virtually unwatchable if you like offense...even a little bit. Auburn did nothing until late in the game, giving 'inept' a whole new level of meaning. Kansas State's QB Freeman, their only exceptional player, limped through the entire contest. Still, Auburn's defense never really got a lot of pressure on him.

USF has made great strides the last couple years, going from a team playing the role of home field spoiler to one poised to get that big win. Their young QB is a star in the waiting. They'll defend, and they're fast; one of a small group of teams that should be able to match speed with an SEC opponent. They're a little lean at the skill positions aside from QB, but this can be a defining win for this program. It's my third road dog in a row...YIKES...but I'm taking South Florida +7

South Florida has been surprisingly good the past couple of years, but c'mon... this is no. 13th ranked AUBURN at home.

Auburn -7 is my can't miss college football game of the week. :pointstosky:

South Florida has been surprisingly good the past couple of years, but c'mon... this is no. 13th ranked AUBURN at home.

Auburn -7 is my can't miss college football game of the week. :music_guitarred:

Could very well be. But if the Auburn team I saw last week is the 13th best in the country, I'm going to have a lot of free time come bowl season. There won't be more than 6 games worth watching. That's a really unimpressive football team imo.

Yer Mom: You have a play for tonight?

Im avoiding tonights game. Rutgers has way too much speed on D and they defend the triple option very well. Feels to me like a 34-17 game, with either side covering within a tight margin. If I had to choose a side I would take Rutgers but it looks like some good reasoning has been applied for taking Navy throughout the thread. I wont be playing anything here tonight unless there is a good halftime line. Sorry, thats all I got. :music_guitarred:

Good Luck!!

I ended up with Calgary (-2.5) and I bought Navy up to (+17) as I don't know if it will go above the current +16.5. I usually don't buy points, but what the hell.

Unofficially, I also played LA Dodgers, Boston WINNER, and Toronto WINNER in bases. 4 units each.

Good luck to all.

NCAA to date: 8-2 +5.594

Rutgers -16 1 unit to win .952 units

LSU -12.5 1 unit to win .98 units

Auburn -6.5 1 unit to win .9 units

Boise St -3 1 unit to win .97 units

Alabama -3 1 unit to win .862 units

Oregon State -3 1 unit to win .84 units.

Nice record. As game time approaches, are you still liking Rutgers -16 ?

I'm going to use this post as a worksheet of what I will be playing tomorrow. Subject to change. Mostly 1 and 2 unit plays, and the lines when I put in the game. And I'll be adding games to the list. I don't know if I'll bump anything to a 3 unit yet. I will post the official picks tomorrow morning.

3 unit games

Washington (+3)

Air Force (+7.5)

Central Mich (-3)

2 unit games

Temple (-3.5)

Colorado St (+14)

Oregon

South Carolina (+3.5)

Penn St (-18)

TCU (+9)

Tulane (+5.5)

Florida International (+24)

Virginia Tech

UNLV (+25.5)

1 unit games

Northwestern (-10)

Wake Forest (+8.5)

Miami OH (+8.5)

Eastern Michigan (+3.5)

Vanderbilt (3.5)

Mississippi (+6)

North Carolina (+4.5)

BYU (+7.5)

Baylor (-7)

Going with Rutgers -16.5 tonight. Hoping to go into tomorrow's games up a little.

Navy looks sluggish so far. Down 14-0. Huge possession coming up.

TD Navy. We got a ball game. :banana:

Philly!!!!!

How am i supposed to get the kids to Harvard if i cant win money gambling!!!!

Oh......ok Navy scored....nevermind.

Rutgers is doing a solid job of keeping Navy drives alive with stupid penalties. Let's keep it going. :banana:

Wow, talk about a killer. Throwin a pick with second and goal. Makes me sick.

Navy with 2 turnovers and a flubbed punt. Yuck. You can't do that kind of stuff. I feel physically sick.

I'm going to use this post as a worksheet of what I will be playing tomorrow. Subject to change. Mostly 1 and 2 unit plays, and the lines when I put in the game. And I'll be adding games to the list. I don't know if I'll bump anything to a 3 unit yet. I will post the official picks tomorrow morning.

3 unit games

Washington (+3)

2 unit games

Temple (-3.5)

Colorado St (+14)

Oregon

South Carolina (+3.5)

Penn St (-18)

TCU (+9)

Tulane (+5.5)

Florida International (+24)

Virginia Tech

UNLV (+25.5)

1 unit games

Northwestern (-10)

Wake Forest (+8.5)

Miami OH (+8.5)

Eastern Michigan (+3.5)

Vanderbilt (3.5)

Mississippi (+6)

North Carolina

BYU (+7.5)

Baylor (-7)

phillybear,

Is something wrong with your keyboard? I dont see Hawaii :pointstosky:

Adding: Navy 2nd H (+6) for 3 units WINNER

Navy is moving the ball. I don't see Rutgers running up the score. Navy turnovers basically gave Rutgers the half time lead. The game is competitive.

Basically, I'm getting Navy +23 for the game. And I'm pushing with the original bet.

phillybear,

Is something wrong with your keyboard? I dont see Hawaii :pointstosky:

I'm debating that game. I have a soft spot for La Tech.

Wow, philly! You've got balls laying all that one the line on a single silly game.

I'm tempted to take Over 24, but Rutgers is too far ahead to run up the score unless they're trying to impress the AP.

On a different note, can you remember a worse matchup than the one between two perennial whipping dogs like Buffalo and Temple tomorrow?!? Last one to recover a turnover wins?

Adding: Navy 2nd H (+6) for 3 units

Navy is moving the ball. I don't see Rutgers running up the score. Navy turnovers basically gave Rutgers the half time lead. The game is competitive.

Basically, I'm getting Navy +23 for the game.

Couldn't resist the middle opportunity since i had Rutgers at -16 for game. Im hoping rutgers at least ties but scores no more than 5 more than Navy in 2H. 1 unit play.

Philly

Calgary is now at Picke'm what made the line move so much?

I've been scrambling to figure that one out. I guess I won't know until they kick off.

Wow, philly! You've got balls laying all that one the line on a single silly game.

I'm tempted to take Over 24, but Rutgers is too far ahead to run up the score unless they're trying to impress the AP.

On a different note, can you remember a worse matchup than the one between two perennial whipping dogs like Buffalo and Temple tomorrow?!? Last one to recover a turnover wins?

I got huge balls.

Temple is a much better team this year. I guess the season will prove it out. But I will jump on them while I can until the line catches up with them. They actually have some very good talent on offense.

You are still taking Calgary?

Yes.

The hot news in the CFL this week...

Montreal will be missing their stud QB this week.

Hamilton will be mising their stud RB this week. Again.

That all I have seen so far.

on the link they are really talking up calgary

I wish I could get a first half line on them.

I am adding a unit to Calgary

TD Navy. That is huge on so many levels. Rutgers leads 24-14.