Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Will D. Anderson be the Brown's QB next year?

it seems all you have to do as a GM is draft a QB in the 1st rd to motivate your current QB nowadays...

anderson was not the current QB to be motivated. Frye was. Once the browns found out what they had in anderson they moved frye for a bag of chips. Ruffles I believe.

Because the upside of Quinn is so much more than the 4200 yards and 35 touchdowns Anderson is on pace to throw right? And Cleveland has been so successful that they would trade away the QB who led them to the first winning season in 8 years or so right? Anderson will start in Cleveland next year. Period. If you think differently you are wrong.

Dont disagree with you , I think Clevland makes out either way. If they have Anderson starting next year that can only be good and if someone signs him and they get those draft picks thats a good thing too. I am not a browns fan but If I was I would ofcourse want Anderson as the starter as he is playing great for them. Everyone thought the Chargers would be crazy to let Brees go for Rivers and they did. Then again that might teach the browns to stick with the proven player which is Anderson.

Would have been nice if cleve had a defense. I would have loved to see them beat Pittsburg.

Derek is solid.

They may trade this kid, which i think would be stupid but definately a possibility depending on what gets offered.

I don't know what Quinn is capable of, but with the weapons cleve has and a good OL, they could use the draft picks.

I think they should keep both QB's and scroung up a defense. maybe another Raven "Ray lewis" for strarters.

Steeler fan here and I'd hate to see Cleveland NOT sign Anderson. The guy is making this division fun to watch this year and if the Browns don't give this kid a great payday, they're focking fools. You KNOW D.A. is a great Q.B. and Quinn MAY be one. Why take the chance? If nothing else Quinn can be groomed and Cleveland will not have to worry about a QB for the next 10 years. :overhead:

The GM for Cleveland should be tarred and feathered if they let the guy who singlehandedly gave their franchise hope.

Vikings quarterback options for next season still appear to be trying to trade with the Philadelphia Eagles for Donovan McNabb, who might now cost only a third-round draft pick; making an offer to Cleveland Browns restricted free agent Derek Anderson, who could cost at least $15 million in guaranteed money; or moving up in April's draft. -- Pioneer Press

Yeah, I'm definitely a "bird in the hand" guy in this situation. DA has proven himself - Quinn? Not at all. And, there's reason to think Quinn may not be the next David Carr. You just never know.

It'd be a tremendously ballsy move on the part of Cleveland to shop DA around. I figure they'll do the highest tender offer. That's a win-win. Either they keep the guy or gain some damn nice draft picks.

In the last year of his original rookie contract, Anderson is making the NFL minimum $435,000 for a third-year player. He can be a restricted free agent in March, and that presents the Browns and Anderson with some interesting choices.

The Browns easily can protect themselves from losing Anderson in 2008 by giving him a one-year contract tender, which includes a right of first refusal on any subsequent offers. The size of the tender determines what kind of draft-choice compensation the Browns receive if another team signs him.

The Browns could virtually guarantee keeping Anderson by giving him the highest tender, which would bring first- and third-round draft choices - a prohibitive cost for any team. The high tender for 2008 is $2.562 million.

I think for all the drama fans and sportswriters have injected, the story's going to be relatively tame; The Browns will offer the maximum tender and see if they have a 1YW on their hands or the real deal. 2 Million bucks is nothing. Now, what they're paying Quinn to sit on his butt is another story.... If they have the real deal, They'll likely shop Quinn. In the meantime, they'll continue to groom Quinn and evaluate him on a daily basis.

Interesting to think about the fact that many people have said that if Quinn hadn't held out, DA might not even be on the roster at this point.

My favorite part of this whole deal? (Other than Quinn's hold out may cost him his dream job)?

The Raven actually drafted Derek Anderson. Then cut him for - get this - Kordell Stewart. :huh:

DOH! :doh:

Cleveland's top 10 passing offense has to be looking pretty good to Balt's bottom 10 passing offense. Cleveland went on to beat up on Balt earlier this year. They get a chance to do it again this week. So goes the Cle/Balt rivalry. :lol:

My favorite part of this whole deal? (Other than Quinn's hold out may cost him his dream job)?

The Raven actually drafted Derek Anderson. Then cut him for - get this - Kordell Stewart. :thumbsup:

DOH! :lol:

Cleveland's top 10 passing offense has to be looking pretty good to Balt's bottom 10 passing offense. Cleveland went on to beat up on Balt earlier this year. They get a chance to do it again this week. So goes the Cle/Balt rivalry. :thumbsup:

Sort of. Anderson was on Baltimore's practice squad and Cleveland took him from there. They figured that no team would grab him (bad choice), but it was not as if they just kicked him to the curb.

anderson was not the current QB to be motivated. Frye was. Once the browns found out what they had in anderson they moved frye for a bag of chips. Ruffles I believe.

I believe it was Frye showing Cleveland what he wasn't that sent him out of town. It is not like Anderson played well in the preseason.

The GM for Cleveland should be tarred and feathered if they let the guy who singlehandedly gave their franchise hope.

What? Singlehandedly? I think Thomas and the rest of the offensive line would disagree.

The Bruins are stupid if they don't make a serious effort to re-sign him. This is just like San Diego's situation a couple years ago when they had to decide between Brees and Rivers...Why would a team choose "potential" over a proven commodity? If SD had Brees instead of Rivers right now they could be a super bowl contender...I'm not saying the Browns are going to win a super bowl with Anderson but he's proven he can be a very good NFL QB...

For this to be a valid agruement, Anderson would have to prove himself to be more than a one year wonder. Brees had two good seasons before being shown the door.

I believe it was Frye showing Cleveland what he wasn't that sent him out of town. It is not like Anderson played well in the preseason.

True, but as soon as he stepped in the entire team got better. Braylon and winslow started catching balls where they were not with frye. Thats when they knew that they had a QB and thats when they decided to send him packing for the bag of ruffles.(they have ridges you know?)

True, but as soon as he stepped in the entire team got better. Braylon and winslow started catching balls where they were not with frye. Thats when they knew that they had a QB and thats when they decided to send him packing for the bag of ruffles.(they have ridges you know?)

OK? It is hard to catch a ball went it is still in Frye's hands as he is getting sacked for holding the ball too long.

Edwards are Winslow have gotten better, but lets not forget that Winslow had 89 receptions with Frye last year and Edwards is in his third season. So did they get better because of Anderson or were they good already and they are the ones make Anderson look good?

The one thing I will befinitly give full credit to Anderson is, he makes this o-line look better than Frye. Mostly because of his ability to drop back and not take the sack every other pass play. They still can't run block, but that is Jamal Lewis' issue.

Do you think ND wishes they had Brady at least one more year? For as bad as they were last year, at least he was able to move that offense.

Do you think ND wishes they had Brady at least one more year? For as bad as they were last year, at least he was able to move that offense.

I bet they wish they had him. However I also bet he is happy where is at. At least he is not risking getting crushed on a terrible college team. At least as a backup he is learning the plays and getting paid fat to hold the almighty clipboard.

BROWNS COULD FRANCHISE ANDERSON

Though we've previously advised a few readers -- and a radio audience or two -- that the Browns can't use the franchise tag on quarterback Derek Anderson, they apparently can.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Browns would be able to use the franchise tag on Anderson, even though Anderson will be a restricted free agent.

Under the CBA, the maximum limitation under the restricted free agency rules is one-year tender that gives the team a right of first refusal and compensation, if the offer is not matched, in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick.

For 2008, the price of the highest possible restricted free agency tag will be $2.562 million.

But, if the team so chooses, its franchise tag can be used on a restricted free agent, bumping the compensation to two first-round draft picks. The financial difference, however, is enormous; the one-year franchise tender for a quarterback will be roughly $10.6 million in 2008.

So for $8 million extra dollars, the Browns upgrade the compensation from a first-round pick and a third-round pick to two first-round picks. The bigger issue, however, is that the two-round difference in the second draft pick might be enough to scare away a potential suitor.

We assume that the Browns also could chose to use the "exclusive" franchise tender, which would prevent Anderson from negotiating with other teams -- but which would move the compensation to roughly $14 million for 2008.

Schefter says that the Niners used the franchise tender on receiver Terrell Owens in 1999, even though he was a restricted free agent. He later signed a seven-year, $34 million contract with a $7.5 million signing bonus.

profootballtalk.com

If we assume DA's value is somewhere between two firsts and a 1st and 3rd, I guess these are the Browns options

Franchise Tag

Pros: If someone is desperate enough to sign him, you get two number 1's.

Cons: You have to pay him 10 million a year, and there is a good chance no one wants to part with two number 1 picks.

Highest RFA tender

Pros: If someone signs him, you get a 1st and a 3rd plus right of first refusal. If he doesn't get much interest for that price, you can groom Quinn for another year and then get a 3rd round compensatory pick when Anderson leaves in free agency next year.

Cons: Might be undervaluing him in case someone wants to give up more.

I think it will boil down to how much they like Quinn. If they think Quinn can be as good as Anderson has been this year, I'd just tender him the RFA option. If I think Anderson is really something special, then Quinn can wait, and I franchise Anderson, and then sign him to a long term contract, but if you are going to do that, why couldn't they just let some team make him an offer sheet, and then match it for what is most likely going to be less than franchise tag numbers.

Yeah, I'm thinking they have to just tender the RFA offer unless they are 100% positive they can get those two number 1's, which I think is very unlikely, but then they have to worry about poison pills. Hopefully for the Browns, they've already closed that loophole.

I cannot see them franchising him. The cap implications are pretty large even if they are only for one season. They did not trade up to get Quinn and have him sit. You either trade Quinn (while his value is low) or you try to tender Anderson and deal him. That team has enough holes that they can't tie up that much money and talent at a single position.

I cannot see them franchising him. The cap implications are pretty large even if they are only for one season. They did not trade up to get Quinn and have him sit. You either trade Quinn (while his value is low) or you try to tender Anderson and deal him. That team has enough holes that they can't tie up that much money and talent at a single position.

maybe a trade with baltimore to help the D. Ed Reed anyone?

maybe a trade with baltimore to help the D. Ed Reed anyone?

Given where he came from that makes sense. However, they are in the same division and I just can't see rivals like that making ANY deal. A trade won't net them much by way of picks. They would have to go for a veteran player instead.

Because the upside of Quinn is so much more than the 4200 yards and 35 touchdowns Anderson is on pace to throw right? And Cleveland has been so successful that they would trade away the QB who led them to the first winning season in 8 years or so right? Anderson will start in Cleveland next year. Period. If you think differently you are wrong.

ITA with this reasoning. First, Anderson is playing extremely well and taking this team to heights that they haven't seen in a long, long time. Second, if they let him go, they're betting their franchise for the next few years on Quinn, which given the situation that they are in would be inexcusable. Quinn missed a significant part of training camp and is a rookie that hasn't sniffed the field this year for anything more than kneel-down time. That means that even next year, he'll still be a rookie in reality. There hasn't been a QB come in and be productive in their first season at the helm that I can remember since Dan Marino (Manning had a good rookie year, but he still blundered a lot, too. And I think it's safe to say that Manning>>>Quinn).

By keeping Anderson under center for the next 2-3 years, the Brownies get to keep making positive strides so long as they draft decently and be able to groom Quinn properly in the process. That'll give Quinn time to learn the playbook fully and study tons of film to learn to read the more complex NFL defenses, with their shifting and hidden blitz packages. Even if they envision Quinn as the next Marino, this is the perfect opportunity to develop him slowly and properly, continue to build a winning team around him, and still be competive in their division in the process. It's not a positive thing to take what you project to be your franchise QB and just toss him to the wolves to let him figure the game out on his own.

There's nothing short of an injury that keeps Anderson from being declared the starter for next year before training camp begins.

SAVAGE HINTS AT HIGH TENDER FOR ANDERSON by Michael David Smith

Browns General Manager Phil Savage says he's leaning toward giving quarterback Derek Anderson the high contract tender of $2.562 million after the season, meaning that a team that wants to acquire Anderson would either have to work out a trade with the Browns or give the Browns first- and third-round draft choices.

"I think we'd be most comfortable with that 1-and-3 scenario rather than doing something less than that," Savage said, per Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "Then you have to have a suitor. You've got to have somebody out there that's wanting not only to give up picks but to pay a lot of money. And sometimes that can be a double-dip."

Anderson's contract expires after the season, making him a restricted free agent in 2008. The Browns have found themselves in the surprising situation of having Anderson playing well enough that Cleveland is in the playoff hunt and first-round rookie Brady Quinn is stuck on the bench.

Grossi writes that as Savage plans to negotiate either a new contract for Anderson or a trade, he "holds all the cards in the poker game." But the truth is, Savage isn't in a great situation here.

If Savage trades Anderson or declines to match another team's offer sheet to Anderson, he'd better be completely certain that Quinn is going to be a better quarterback than Anderson. If Anderson goes somewhere else and continues to play well, while Quinn turns out to be a disappointment in Cleveland, Savage will forever be known as the general manager who both failed to recognize the talented quarterback on his roster and saddled his team with a young quarterback who wasn't ready.

On the other hand, if Savage changes course and makes a long-term commitment to Anderson, it will raise the question of why in the world the Browns traded their 2008 first-round pick to get into position to draft Quinn.

The most likely scenario seems to be Anderson signing a one-year offer and playing 2008 for the Browns. That will allow Savage to delay his decision for another year.

~profootballtalk.com

B. Quinn = Aaron Rodgers.

Whatz interesting is that Anderson is a free agent after this season (I think). I'm curious as to how it all plays out too.

Brady Quinn = Philip Rivers

AKA they will get rid of Anderson and go with the first rounder, because it would wreak havoc on their salary cap to do anything else.

AKA they will get rid of Anderson and go with the first rounder, because it would wreak havoc on their salary cap to do anything else.

Only if they franchise him or give him a long-term contract, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As the 22 pick Quinn only got a 5 year contract worth like $20M. The Browns were like $30M under the cap this year. Don't think it's really a problem keeping both if they want to.

OK? It is hard to catch a ball went it is still in Frye's hands as he is getting sacked for holding the ball too long.

Edwards are Winslow have gotten better, but lets not forget that Winslow had 89 receptions with Frye last year and Edwards is in his third season. So did they get better because of Anderson or were they good already and they are the ones make Anderson look good?

The one thing I will befinitly give full credit to Anderson is, he makes this o-line look better than Frye. Mostly because of his ability to drop back and not take the sack every other pass play. They still can't run block, but that is Jamal Lewis' issue.

Exactly. DA does a lot of the same things Frye was doing, like locking on your primary receiver the whole time, but he's getting away with it because he's making quick decisions and he's got a quick release and a rocket arm. Plus he doesn't get the happy feet like Frye did.

So the Browns win and get some help they are in the playoffs...even if they don't their next three are:

Buffalo (home), Cincinnati (away) and SF (home)

I'm thinking he stays. :mad:

Another reason he is staying, is Brady quinn's contract. It averages about $2 million a year, as long as his incentives don't start kicking in. So it make him a very reasonable backup, until he gets on the field.

Anderson can be bad. look at his career @ OSU. but he is the kind of QB that can be great with a good pass blocking O-line. i'm thinkin he will be the 2008 starter for CLE. why not? he's had a nice season overall.

POSTED 12:07 p.m. EST, December 25, 2007

FINS TO MAKE A PLAY FOR ANDERSON?

In April, many fans and league observers expected the Miami Dolphins to take quarterback Brady Quinn with their first-round pick in the NFL draft. After the 2007 season, it could be that the Fins use a first-round pick (or more) on Quinn's teammate, Derek Anderson.

Several readers tell us that Cleveland radio personality Tony Rizzo said on Monday that the Miami Dolphins could be making a play for Anderson as part of an effort to get better ASAFP under the leadership of Bill Parcells.

Anderson is due to become a restricted free agent after the season. The Browns are expected to use the highest possible RFA tender, which would entitle them to a first-round pick and a third-round pick as compensation, if someone else makes an offer to Anderson that Cleveland opts not to match.

The Browns also could use the franchise tag on Anderson, which would entitle them to two first-round draft picks.

As Rizzo tells it (or, more accurately, as the readers who heard Rizzo tell it tell us), the deal could get done for the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, which the Browns presumably would then use on Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.

Setting aside for now the question of whether any running back merits $35 million in guaranteed money, the addition of McFadden to a team with an offense on the rise is a possibility that should induce ulcers throughout Western Pennsylvania.

For the Fins, the move makes sense. With taking a quarterback as the No. 1 pick in the draft a 50-50 proposition at best, why not move the pick and get a guy who has shown he can play? Also, because Anderson is farther along the learning curve than a rookie would be, the Dolphins would be in a better position to succeed while the Tuna is still in town.

We're going to keep an eye on this one. For both teams, it makes a lot of sense.

If, of course, the Browns are willing to sink so much guaranteed money into a running back.

profootballtalk.com

As a Browns homer, I think they need to get evrything they can for Anderson now and let Quinn become the starter for this franchise! The Browns need help on the d-line if they ever want to fix their horrible rush defense. Phil Savage is a GOD as a GM who rarely makes mistakes in the draft. He built that feared Baltimore defense, and more recently has fixed the Browns horrible offense through the draft. He took a chance on Quinn and got him for a relative bargain of a price.

I know everyone thinks that Anderson is the next coming, but if you take a more detailed look at his stats, you will find that he has not had stellar weeks the last quarter of the season. In my league, (which takes qb completions and attempts into consideration along with all the other traditional stats) the average good day for a qb is 30 points. DA has not had over 25 points since Thanksgiving. Quinn looked lights out in pre-season, Anderson looked bad. Anderson got his confidence up after week 2 against sorry Cincy, but I think he's crashing back down to Earth. We (the Browns) should get all we can for him while he still is over-rated! Hopefully since this next game is meaningless for playoff implications, we can finally get a good look at Quinn in a regular season game and make the correct call next year! The fact remains that the Browns will once again be out of the playoffs, and the blame should rightfully go to Anderson for his horrible performance against Cincy last week!

Say it with me: We want Quinn! :banana: woohoo!

profootballtalk.com

I have been saying all along that the browns are going to make a play for mcfadden. Quinn can start right now and if they get DM they will be a beast of a team.

I have been saying all along that the browns are going to make a play for mcfadden. Quinn can start right now and if they get DM they will be a beast of a team.

WHAT DOES DORSEY EXTENSION MEAN?

On the surface, it wasn't a significant news item. So the Browns signed their third-string quarterback to a three-year extension.

So what?

Ken Dorsey was cut by Cleveland before the start of the season. The move prompted a public plea from rookie Brady Quinn to bring Dorsey back.

Calling it a "sad day," Quinn described Dorsey as "invaluable."

"You can't put a price on the things I think he brought to the table for us as a team. . . . He was a mentor, a friend, someone to help me out, not only here but off the field and everything," Quinn said at the time. "Just dealing with things, giving a lot of brotherly advice, that sort of thing. So you couldn't meet a better guy, a better teammate, a better person."

After opening-week starter Charlie Frye flamed out, resulting in a trade to Seattle, Dorsey returned.

So what does the move to keep Dorsey through 2010 mean? On one hand, it could be viewed as a sign that the Browns will look to move restricted free agent Derek Anderson in the offseason, since the deal puts Dorsey in position to be the long-term mentor for Quinn. On the other hand, the decision could be a precursor to a long-term contract with Anderson.

Why, you ask? Because even though the sock puppets have been presuming that the Browns could painlessly keep Anderson and Quinn for the next several years because Quinn has a manageable contract, Quinn's contract is based on the presumption that he'll be playing -- and thus earning those big-money incentives.

So if the Browns plan to squat on Quinn for the next four years, they'll need to otherwise keep him happy. And one way to do it is to have his pal Ken under contract.

profootballtalk.com

:dunno:

Derek Anderson: Browns Entertain Trade Offers

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Update: Cleveland will entertain trade offers for Anderson this offseason, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. Anderson can become a restricted free agent on Feb. 29.

Recommendation: The Browns will explore their options this offseason with 2007 first-round pick Brady Quinn also on the roster. If he returns, head coach Romeo Crennel said Anderson would be his starter in 2008.

:music_guitarred:

The Browns are nuts to trade Anderson. Trade Quinn for a 1st rounder.

The Browns are nuts to trade Anderson. Trade Quinn for a 1st rounder.

Considering almost every team had a chance to take Quinn in the first round and passed last season, I don't see how they get a first rounder for him this year. Personally I don't see anyone even giving up a first rounder for Anderson, but at least he has a track record of some success.