Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

OFFICIAL Patriots vs Steelers thread....

OK, big game obviously. Both teams should be fired up and ready to go. Neither team really likes each other and the Steelers especially have something to prove. This would be a BIG win for the Steelers.

Lets recap:

- Pitt needs to avoid dumb mistakes. The Pats feed off of your team focking up. 1 or less turnovers is about all the Steelers could deal with.

- Pitt should run the ball and mix it up with some deep-ins like Philly did. The Pats Defense doesnt scare anyone at all, as a matter of fact it would fair to say that teams look FORWARD to playing their defense.

- The Pats have to realize that they stole one from The Ravens and to a lesser extent the Eagles. They wont get cheesey holding calls or timeout mishaps all the time. They essentially got beat by the Ravens but won the game. So, The Pats also need to minimize mistakes and must find a way to toughen up on defense.

- Moss must get more involved with the passing game. He is starting to get a little "bored" and having him lose interest this time of year would be bad for The Pats.

All I want to see is the best team win. NO cheesey late penalties, NO BS breaks for the EITHER team, NO controversy. The Ravens game really made the NFL look bad. The officials determined the outcome of the game and that is a MAJOR sin in any sport....like an NBA ref calling a foul with a slight forearm tap late in a game 7 battle. You just CANT make that call. This goes the other way too..... I do NOT want Pitt to win due to to some bad call against The Pats. Let them play....and keep your focking referee azz out of it!

May the team that plays the best football WIN!

:rolleyes:

NO cheesey late penalties, NO BS breaks for the EITHER team, NO controversy. The Ravens game really made the NFL look bad. The officials determined the outcome of the game and that is a MAJOR sin in any sport....like an NBA ref calling a foul with a slight forearm tap late in a game 7 battle. You just CANT make that call.

Yeah, they should probably just go ahead and let the defenders tackle all the receivers on any last drive so refs aren't determining the outcome of the game. :nono:

Yeah, they should probably just go ahead and let the defenders tackle all the receivers on any last drive so refs aren't determining the outcome of the game. :rolleyes:

That was incidental contact, at least according everyone NOT living in Boston. Every morning show agreed that you simply cant make that call at that time.

Nice try though....

:clap:

That was incidental contact, at least according everyone NOT living in Boston. Every morning show agreed that you simply cant make that call at that time.

Nice try though....

:pointstosky:

It was not incidental contact, it was holding, it was blatant, and they rightfully flagged it.

I didn't watch any morning shows but I find it hard to believe that they were arguing that DBs should be allowed to hold receivers just because it's late in the game.

Also, I don't live in Boston, or anywhere near it.

Nice try though....

:pointstosky:

:cry: :cry: I don't live in Boston :wub:

GO PATS!! Beat down on the Stillers.

Really the only test left for the Pats. Regardless of the outcome, IMO it will be a fantastic game.

As a Steeler fan and them being the underdog, I want the Steelers to win. :unsure:

As a human with a strong right/wrong streak in me, I want the Steelers to win. :thumbsup:

As a realist who believes that this world is not kind and at times evil, I believe the Pats will win. <_<

CRIPES!!! Who the fock do the refs favor in this one???? :thumbsup:

fock, i still am mad over sb 40...and ive heard so many people say get over it....

now when they whine...they get the big fock off finger..... :unsure:

I am a homer, not hiding behind any false pretenses here. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way my opinion. The last game was clearly not the Pats best, no excuses. It should have been a loss, however like any team with a long winning streak you take the gifts. Yet again, the Patriots did not loose their cool, the other team did. This is one of their strengths. No matter the situation they know that they can win, not think, they know. They put themselves in a position where all the screw up were made irrelevant. That is a team with experience.

The Patriots just got their two losses out of the way. In the process they recieved two wins. The psychology of experiencing a loss is in their minds. They understand that they can be beat. Belichek is going to drill that into their minds all week. They are not going to take Pittsburgh for granted. They are not going to be playing the team that lost to the jets. They are going to be playing a playoff calibur team. They will be mentally prepared.

In addition, they will be at home. The Patroits will be feeding off that energy. If they win this one game home field and the bye is essentially assured. The team has something to play for outside of just playing to win the next game of the streak. They will be playing Sunday to assure their playoff benefits. Yes, you can say that the mindset should have been there last week. Yes, it should have, but every team plays a crap game or two. Remember however for the Pats that crap game is better than most teams and is good enough for a win.

As for the defense showing its age. That has yet to truly be seen. Personally I think that the D got too comfortable relying on the offense to blow out opponents. The teams were so far out of contention by the second half most teams had to abandon the run and just try to compete with the passing game for quick scores. The Pats D just got too used to playing a Nickel D with the occasional pass rush.

This game against the Steelers the Pats D will be fully prepared for a rough game with a strong running attack. However, don't forget that this game could easily be a shootout. In that event I like my chances. Unlike the defense I have total faith in Brady and the offense.

Don't expect a third bad game in a row. I fully expect both teams to be ready and it will be an awesome match. No blowout, the next blowout is scheduled against the Jets.

Yeah, they should probably just go ahead and let the defenders tackle all the receivers on any last drive so refs aren't determining the outcome of the game. :(

After the game Steve Young was chuckling about how ironic it was that a team known for being physical, holding, and interfering with opposing TE's and WR's, got that holding call at the end of the game to help them win it. His words, not mine.

Don't expect a third bad game in a row. I fully expect both teams to be ready and it will be an awesome match. No blowout, the next blowout is scheduled against the Jets.

The game against Philly was bad b/c Philly made it bad. Philly played physical D and blitzed like crazy disrupting Brady at times. You know why? B/c the Pats are a finesse team this year. Can't pound it.

The game against Baltimore was somewhat the same. Physical D and the weather was not good for the passing game. Again, it hurts the Pats b/c they're a finesse team.

I don't see the Pats running away with this game b/c they're going to get more physical D and who knows what the weather will be like. Pitt is not afraid of a smashmouth running game from NE, I can guarantee you that.

They've looked awesome this year but so did Indy in the past when they didn't have a very strong running game. Some finesse teams have won the SB (Rams) but it usually helps to have a strong running game. Pats miss Corey Dillon right now and may miss him more in the weeks to come.

fock, i still am mad over sb 40...and ive heard so many people say get over it....

now when they whine...they get the big fock off finger..... :headbanger:

Ahhhh, let it go. I've actually enjoyed the crying over the refs by the Steeler and Pat faithful. Makes me chuckle thinking back how they all told me the refs weren't the reasons the Steelrs won yet now.... :overhead:

Anyway, JG, Murf, Hines, Filthy, all seem like good guys and I enjoy the back and forth banter.

But if they EVAH try to tell us the refs cost them a game

I'll be here waiting :bandana:

:cheers:

Ahhhh, let it go. I've actually enjoyed the crying over the refs by the Steeler and Pat faithful. Makes me chuckle thinking back how they all told me the refs weren't the reasons the Steelrs won yet now.... :headbanger:

Anyway, JG, Murf, Hines, Filthy, all seem like good guys and I enjoy the back and forth banter.

I'll be here waiting :overhead:

:bandana:

What crying have I (we) done about refs? They called that scrimmage in SB40 vs Seahags straight up and the better team won. They played two sh!tazz games against the two worst teams in the league, winning one of them. They dropped a game they never should have to Denver and lost a cage match to Whisenhut/Grimm that was probably expected. No excuses, if you're an elite team, you kill the flotsam-jetsam of the league, you don't lose to the Jets and play Miami a near draw. That says it's a lack of focus...if you think you're that much better than the bottom dwellers, you show it and step on their head like the Pats do. They were fortunate against Cincy, IMO. If they make those same mistakes against the Pats, it's over and over early.

FWIW...that comment about who the refs will favor was damn funny man...now, never mention it again!

The game against Philly was bad b/c Philly made it bad. Philly played physical D and blitzed like crazy disrupting Brady at times. You know why? B/c the Pats are a finesse team this year.

I guess 380 yards passing is disrupting. :headbanger:

Patriots 37 - Steelers 13

The Pats will stop the Steelers running game cold. The Steelers will be overconfident regarding the running game and they won't be prepared to adjust when they get stonewalled. Furthermore the play action passing that is dependent on a solid running game won't work and this will lead to Ben RoethisBUMBLER making a mistake early. It will probably be a mistake on play action that the Pats snuff out forcing him to throw while on the run to his left. These early mistakes will lead directly to Patriots points and an early abandonment of the running game by the Steel.

On offense the Patriots are going to use play action and they will attack the Steelers secondary deep. I also expect to see a few WR screens this game. I think the Pats WR's have been terrible lately and I saw at least 5 maybe 6 drops in the Monday Night game. I do not expect Randy Moss or Ben Watson to drop a TD this game.

Steelers are in for a long night.

Ahhhh, let it go. I've actually enjoyed the crying over the refs by the Steeler and Pat faithful. Makes me chuckle thinking back how they all told me the refs weren't the reasons the Steelrs won yet now.... :rolleyes:

I'll be here waiting :bandana:

So glad the therapy is working

I guess 380 yards passing is disrupting. :rolleyes:

He was sacked 3 times, threw the ball a whopping 54 times, and completed 34 of those passes for under 63%(2nd lowest pct for Brady up to that point). Sure, 380 is a big number for yardage but if you totally neglect the running game (only 13 rushes) you're probably going to get large yardage.

Finesse team.

After the game Steve Young was chuckling about how ironic it was that a team known for being physical, holding, and interfering with opposing TE's and WR's, got that holding call at the end of the game to help them win it. His words, not mine.

You're leaving out an important part of his statement which was "a team that has been known over the past decade to rough up receivers, and TEs in particular got the call...It is ironic, but the Patriots "roughing up WRs and TEs" is a reputation they earned years ago. That's like saying the Rams still have a reputation as the "greatest show on turf"...

Young's point was that it's ironic that the Patriots benefited from a rule that was created because of how they played defense in the past, not that they benefited from a call on an infraction that they still routinely commit without a flag being thrown, as you seem to insinuate...

Also, eventhough I will be the first to admit that the Patriots got the benefit of that holding call, which eventhough it is a clear-cut infraction is hardly ever called in that instance, and probably got more than a fair-shake from the officials, its not like the officials didn't screw the Pats at all either; If you believe Brady and Moss WRs were being held throughout the game without a flag being thrown, Vrabel had words with the officials after the game regarding how the game was called and I haven't seen one mention of the non-call on the play where Brady threw deep to Randy Moss (who had at least 5 yards on McCallister and Ed Reed), the pass was underthrown causing Moss to slow and Ed Reed ran right into Moss without once looking back for the ball...

The Patriots won the game.

12-0 team.

I fixed the asshat's post.

Finesse team.

You could be right. Time will tell about that. But before last week they have won the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball in every game (with the possible exception of the Indy game where Indy got a lot of early pressure on Brady) so far this season. Baltimore took it to NE on both sides of the ball and was the first team to do that, so whether that was an aberration or the start of a trend we'll find out in the next few weeks. Pittsburgh has the defensive front to over-power the Pats offensive line, but I don't see anyway the Pittsburgh o-linemen can overpower the New England d-line...

I fixed the asshat's post.

If that's all you got, then fine, there are much more respectable Pats fans out there.

I'm just calling it like I see it right now. I'm not just trying to give Pats fan a hard time, I think this is a finesse team. I'm not sure why though, since they play on the east coast in an outdoor stadium. I can see why the Rams and Colts are finesse teams but not the Pats. The weather hurt this team against the Ravens, Brady admitted it himself in his press conference afterwards. Also, they've run into 2 very physical defenses and had close calls. A strong running game to balance this team out and make the play-action more effective would really help this team. They don't have a running game and don't even try to run.

It's funny how people say New England "can't run", etc., etc., etc...(probably because they don't have 1 dominant back). But right now the Patriots are 8th in the NFL in rushing yardage and 11th in yards per attempt (4.1), tied with such dominant rushing teams as the San Diego Chargers and Pittsburgh Steelers...

NFL Rushing Stats

It's funny how people say New England "can't run", etc., etc., etc...(probably because they don't have 1 dominant back). But right now the Patriots are 8th in the NFL in rushing yardage and 11th in yards per attempt (4.1), tied with such dominant rushing teams as the San Diego Chargers and Pittsburgh Steelers...

NFL Rushing Stats

RB rushing yards against these opponents...

Indy - 91 yards

Dallas - 70 yards

Philly - 32 yards

Balt. - 76 yards

I believe some of their rushing numbers are bloated by huge leads and weak opponents. Notice what happens to their RB numbers when they play a tougher defense, much like they'll face this coming weekend.....and then again in the playoffs when the weather can be really nasty.

:thumbsdown:

If that's all you got, then fine, there are much more respectable Pats fans out there.

I'm just calling it like I see it right now. I'm not just trying to give Pats fan a hard time, I think this is a finesse team. I'm not sure why though, since they play on the east coast in an outdoor stadium. I can see why the Rams and Colts are finesse teams but not the Pats. The weather hurt this team against the Ravens, Brady admitted it himself in his press conference afterwards. Also, they've run into 2 very physical defenses and had close calls. A strong running game to balance this team out and make the play-action more effective would really help this team. They don't have a running game and don't even try to run.

You make a statement that you 'can't understand why the pats play the way they do'

and the pats are 12-0

little bit of a disconnect there

You make a statement that you 'can't understand why the pats play the way they do'

and the pats are 12-0

little bit of a disconnect there

hey....that's fine. but i know the pats are not happy with how they've been playing, belichick and brady both have harped on it the past 2 weeks. are they disconnected too? also, i mentioned that b/c they are in an open stadium and have traditionally seen very hard weather in december and january.

12-0 is awesome, there's no doubt. but we've seen 12-0 recently I believe from Indy.....look where it got them.

OK OK I'll respect that post because you are saying something. But man you weren't saying anything.

If this team is a finesse team it's on offense. This team is a hard nosed defensive team that A - let Philly pass so they could contain Westbrook and B - got ran on in the 1st half against Baltimore. The last 3 drives for Baltimore were Interception, 3 and out, 3 and out. The Defense has never been and is still not a finesse D.

On offense they need to toughen up but I don't know if you could call them a finesse offense. I mean they have scored with 20 different players this year, I'd call that a diverse offense. They are setting all sorts of records on offense, I'd call that record setting offense. They are a dominmating I'd call that a powerhouse offense. Finesse? That insinuates that some games they can score and others they can't and we've yet to see them stopped, 3-4 TD's in a game isn't stopping the Pats.

I agree with what you say, play action would help, but how much better can an offense get? I wish they would try to run more.

Brady did not say the weather hurt him that is a misquote. Futhermore how the Pats WR's dropped 6 passes 2 of which were TD's. That's where the problem was. Watson catched his TD we lead at the half. Moss catches his it's a blowout.

Dropped passes is why that game was close. Don't tell yourself otherwise cause you are only fooling yourself.

RB rushing yards against these opponents...

Indy - 91 yards

Dallas - 70 yards

Philly - 32 yards

Balt. - 76 yards

I believe some of their rushing numbers are bloated by huge leads and weak opponents. Notice what happens to their RB numbers when they play a tougher defense, much like they'll face this coming weekend.....and then again in the playoffs when the weather can be really nasty.

:thumbsdown:

These stats are not all that surprising. I think if you look at any teams statistics they are going to be well below their average against tougher defenses and well above against weaker opponents, with an ocassional exception to the rule (exceptionally good game or bad game)...But you're point presents one potential issue- In the playoffs with bad weather and tougher defenses, the Patriots are going to have to either make more of an effort to run the ball or (as they did in their first two super bowl seasons) use the short passing game as a substitute for a running game. They've pretty mush done what they want so far this year as far as passing the ball goes, but as conditions (and oppositions) get tougher, don't be surprised to see them go back to what's been their bread-and-butter short passing attack.

Patriots 37 - Steelers 13

The Pats will stop the Steelers running game cold. The Steelers will be overconfident regarding the running game and they won't be prepared to adjust when they get stonewalled. Furthermore the play action passing that is dependent on a solid running game won't work and this will lead to Ben RoethisBUMBLER making a mistake early. It will probably be a mistake on play action that the Pats snuff out forcing him to throw while on the run to his left. These early mistakes will lead directly to Patriots points and an early abandonment of the running game by the Steel.

On offense the Patriots are going to use play action and they will attack the Steelers secondary deep. I also expect to see a few WR screens this game. I think the Pats WR's have been terrible lately and I saw at least 5 maybe 6 drops in the Monday Night game. I do not expect Randy Moss or Ben Watson to drop a TD this game.

Steelers are in for a long night.

What's going to be different in this game other than the Steelers are a better team that the Ravens? What on earth makes you believe the Steelers will bite on play action passes when they know the Pats aren't committed to the run? What makes you believe the weather in Fox will be any less than what it was vs the Ravens in BMore? If Pittsburgh doesn't make mistakes, they not only can play straight up against the Pats, they have the personnel to do at least what Baltimore did against them, if not even more. Everything hinges on the mistakes in this one, if the Steelers don't commit turnovers and costly mistakes, the stand a very good chance against a finesse team with a wearing down and aging defense. The Steelers have every bit as much experience as the Pats, almost as much talent on the offensive side and more talent on the defensive side.

If the Steelers do not turn the ball over or give up a kick return for a TD....I like their chances. But both of those are big ifs. Anyone who has watched the Steelers know when they lose it's usually cause of special teams and giving up TDs the other way on offense.

What's going to be different in this game other than the Steelers are a better team that the Ravens? What on earth makes you believe the Steelers will bite on play action passes when they know the Pats aren't committed to the run? What makes you believe the weather in Fox will be any less than what it was vs the Ravens in BMore? If Pittsburgh doesn't make mistakes, they not only can play straight up against the Pats, they have the personnel to do at least what Baltimore did against them, if not even more. Everything hinges on the mistakes in this one, if the Steelers don't commit turnovers and costly mistakes, the stand a very good chance against a finesse team with a wearing down and aging defense. The Steelers have every bit as much experience as the Pats, almost as much talent on the offensive side and more talent on the defensive side.

I think the Patriots will do a better job stopping the run this week. I do not think Willie Parker is better then McGahee. I also do not think the intangibles of playing on MNF, and hte home crowd will be there for Pitt. I think this will lead to early mistakes against the Pats D in foxboro.

On defense Polomalu is hurt, and I don't think they are as talented as Baltimore. We aslo play much better at home.

Quite frankly, I'd rather the Steelers go into Gillette for the AFC Championship game and beat them like a drum. :rolleyes:

The Patriots are going to destroy the Steelers. There is no way the Steelers can win and Brady is going to throw 4 TDs in a win. The Steelers are a joke and Hines86 is going to cry like a baby when his team loses. Is this the same Steelers team that lost 3 games to crappy teams? The same Steelers that got owned by the Jets? I thought the Steelers fans all died or ran off. Only a delusional Steelers fan would claim they had a chance to beat NE. Enjoy the beatdown and don't cry Hines86!

Patriots 31 Steelers 17 :music_guitarred:

Good game where the offenses go back and forth. Patriots 31 to 28