Sign in to follow this  
fricker66

Disney Dining

Going to Disney in February with my wife and 3 kids (8,6,2). We're doing the meal plan, and we want to dine at a sit-down place or character dining each night (6 nights). I made reservations as follows:

1. Tony's Town Square

2. Coral Reef

3. Crystal Palace (character meal)

4. Sci-Fi Dine-In

5. Tutto Italia

6. Mama Melroses (Fantasmic package)

The reservations obviously can be changed, so do any of these places suck? All are in the parks...should I try some in the hotels? Thoughts?

Also, don't refer me to allears.net or the other disney sites. Thanks.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom, but I don't know that we'll eat there (African food not a big seller for my kids).

Going to Disney in February with my wife and 3 kids (8,6,2). We're doing the meal plan, and we want to dine at a sit-down place or character dining each night (6 nights). I made reservations as follows:

1. Tony's Town Square

2. Coral Reef

3. Crystal Palace (character meal)

4. Sci-Fi Dine-In

5. Tutto Italia

6. Mama Melroses (Fantasmic package)

The reservations obviously can be changed, so do any of these places suck? All are in the parks...should I try some in the hotels? Thoughts?

Also, don't refer me to allears.net or the other disney sites. Thanks.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom, but I don't know that we'll eat there (African food not a big seller for my kids).

Whats a fantasmic package?

Whats a fantasmic package?

You get priority seating to the "Fantasmic" show. It reduces your wait-time from over one hour to about 30 minutes, and you are seated in a special section of the stadium.

Also, I was thinking of changing Tutto Italia to O'huna's at the Polynesian Village.

I highly recommend the Hoop-de-doo-revue. Not sure if it is part of the package but if you get the chance you need to go.

Epcot has some wonderful dining areas as well.

Go and buy or Rent Birnbaum's guide to Disney World.. Excellent reference book on Disney.

Well, the Fantasmic package is the way to go for that one.

We went last month and the Mickey Mouse character breakfast at the Contemporary was worth it. It costs a bunch, but the food is actually pretty darn good and it is all that you can eat. I would suggest that you go late morning (between 10-11) and load up. The Mickey waffles are very good and the pictures that you get (on your own) are very good.

All things being the same, I would skip dining within Disney. The food is overpriced and not very good. Try to do some other dining either at your resort or outside of the park if you have a rental car. You will like the break and you get a better deal.

Well, the Fantasmic package is the way to go for that one.

We went last month and the Mickey Mouse character breakfast at the Contemporary was worth it. It costs a bunch, but the food is actually pretty darn good and it is all that you can eat. I would suggest that you go late morning (between 10-11) and load up. The Mickey waffles are very good and the pictures that you get (on your own) are very good.

All things being the same, I would skip dining within Disney. The food is overpriced and not very good. Try to do some other dining either at your resort or outside of the park if you have a rental car. You will like the break and you get a better deal.

Chef Mickey. :rolleyes:

By far the best food Disney has to offer.

Disney food is the suck. We go there every Jan, and the only places we go are: Chef Mickey, Rainforest cafe, and Liberty Tree tavern in magic Kingdom.

Go to International drive for good food. Front Row sports bar is greta for games, and is kid friendly. Huge arcade and a ton of TVs.

We are going in January on the Dining plan and made the following reservations...

1900 Park (character dinner)

Coral Reef

Liberty Tree Tavern (character dinner)

Teppan Edo (thinking about changing this one)

Tusker Haus (breakfast Character)

My feeling is we should have reservations and if we miss them...then so what.

Also, I was thinking of changing Tutto Italia to O'huna's at the Polynesian Village.

This is a good suggestion. They bring out these skewers of meat and it's all-you-can-eat. I recommend the pineapple slices and caramel dip for dessert.

Teppanyaki Japanese restaurant in Epcot's circle of nations - This is absolutely my favorite restaurant in Disney. Great atmosphere, great food.

These two are not really the most kid-friendly you will find, but it'll be a nice change of pace for you and the wife. Kind of expensive, even for Disney standards. But you're not going to Disney to save money, right?

I have gone to disney every other year for the past 10 years or so :thumbsup:

My favorite restaurants near disney are

House of Blues; GREAT FOOD, its not a disney restaurant, but it is on the pleasure island strip. This would be the one restaurant I would recomend down there!

Disney's Polynesian Resort- go there for the breakfast.

Also last time i went was the first time I have ever gone to Cinderella's Gala Feast at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. It was one of the better buffets I have ever been to in my life. And the 6-14 year olds loved the experience.

More recently we have started actually packing our own food while we are in the park during the day, and going to restaurants in Orlando at night. You can find great food around town for alot cheaper than you can find it in the park.

I have reservations for disney in march of this year. My dad and I have decided this time we are going to bring our fishing rods and we are hitting up all those canals for HUGE!! bass. We are only going to spend 1 day at disney this year, although we went this last july and we hit up all the new stuff. So not much that we need to go back and see. Our week trip to florida this year, in addition to the bass fishing in disney canals, is going to also include a day with the family at Univeral, a day tarpon fishing in the flats with my bro and my dad, a day snorkeling with the family in keys, and probably a 3 day cruise this year.

We will not have a car, and are already hooked into the Disney dining plan. We will be eating all meals on the Disney properties.

We will not have a car, and are already hooked into the Disney dining plan. We will be eating all meals on the Disney properties.

Enjoy your diarrhea. :wall:

My favoriet is Dinner with Mickey, we did that one again last month....

The breakfast with Cinderella thing is a very close second....

The one with Poo and Friends is meh.....

Hoopty-Doo Review is awesome

(African food not a big seller for my kids).

Why? I thought kids loved fried chicken and watermelon. :argue:

Can I suggest a bullet to the head, then? If you are staying at Animal Kingdom, then I think that you are going to be spending a lot of time on the bus. Have patience and I have a feeling the food is going to be the least of your problems.

Get the book on how to do tour Disney. It helped us. Best bet is to check your local library because you will only use it once. Good luck and Godspeed, soldier.

Can I suggest a bullet to the head, then? If you are staying at Animal Kingdom, then I think that you are going to be spending a lot of time on the bus. Have patience and I have a feeling the food is going to be the least of your problems.

My kids love the bus. They will probably have more fun on the bus than at the park.

My kids love the bus. They will probably have more fun on the bus than at the park.

I used to think the same thing. The trip to the parks will be filled with "are we there yet" and the trips back will be filled with :argue: "I am hungry and tired, and I want to go home".

After just making the trip for the first time with kids, I can tell you that they will have a great time, but you won't :bandana:

My advice would be to shorten your trip.

Funny you mention that. My parents took us to Disney once when we were kids and we never went back. I think my dad hated it, but "had" to do it for us. I have that same feeling. I've already put the every-other-year-limit on it, and I'm hoping to back out of that.

Funny you mention that. My parents took us to Disney once when we were kids and we never went back. I think my dad hated it, but "had" to do it for us. I have that same feeling. I've already put the every-other-year-limit on it, and I'm hoping to back out of that.

:thumbsup:

Your kids are at a good age to do the first of not more than two trips to that place.

For that duration, I would recommend taking at least one day off at the poolside in the middle of the week. Don't feel the pressure to do something at the parks every fockind day. :banana:

:thumbsup:

Your kids are at a good age to do the first of not more than two trips to that place.

For that duration, I would recommend taking at least one day off at the poolside in the middle of the week. Don't feel the pressure to do something at the parks every fockind day. :banana:

A lot of folks have made this recommendation, and we plan on doing that by day 3 or 4.

I have gone every year since 2000, and on two occasions we went twice a year.

The kids love it, we change it up with the parks, and how we attack them.

Leverage the stuff like the parent swap, free parking pass, ticket brokers and always have a blast... :rolleyes:

the parent swap :rolleyes:

This is the best scam available. :lol:

This is a little confusing, but VERY important.

The parent swap is for parents that have a smaller child that can't ride the bigger rides. So since one parent has to go on at a time, when you're going into the ride you ask the dood working there for the parent swap pass. This is so the other parent doesn't have to wait in the line after you're done riding. What I do is walk up with one of my kids and ask for the parent swap pass before riding. Usually they don't say anything, but if they do just tell them that your wife is on the ride right now, and your kid doesn't like fast rides. They will give you the pass for you and 2 riders to use the fast pass lane. If you need more for the same ride, have your wife do the same thing with a different child.

I'm telling you, it saves your trip. We never wait for rides.

This is the best scam available. :rolleyes:

The parent swap is for parents that have a smaller child that can't ride the bigger rides. So since one parent has to go on at a time, when you're going into the ride you ask the dood working there for the parent swap pass. This is so the other parent doesn't have to wait in the line after you're done riding. What I do is walk up with one of my kids and ask for the parent swap pass before riding. Usually they don't say anything, but if they do just tell them that your wife is on the ride right now, and your kid doesn't like fast rides. They will give you the pass for you and 2 riders to use the fast pass lane. If you need more for the same ride, have your wife do the smae thing with a different child.

Very intriguing. I have never heard of this. So, I could use my 2-year-old to speed the ride for my other kids?

Very intriguing. I have never heard of this. So, I could use my 2-year-old to speed the ride for my other kids?

Exactly, and you having a 2 yr old will make it easier. Just make sure you're holding the kid when you approach the attendant, and your wife is out of site. You will be amazed how easy it is.

Exactly. So long as you present someone too short to ride...

I have a 2 year old, so I have no issue....but my 6 year old is so small that when I carry her she looks too small for almost all of them.

We walk up to a ride, and zip through it in less than 15 minutes; no matter what the ride....

I just walk up to the fast pass past person and act confused, ask "what is this parent swap thing" and boom, they hand you one....its an instant fast pass for up to 3 people.....the kids get to ride it twice since my wife and I both get one...

:cry: :wacko:

You get priority seating to the "Fantasmic" show. It reduces your wait-time from over one hour to about 30 minutes, and you are seated in a special section of the stadium.

Ohanas is very good.

The steakhouse in Canada at Epcot is pretty tasty as well.

Chef Mickey. :wacko:

By far the best food Disney has to offer.

Disney food is the suck. We go there every Jan, and the only places we go are: Chef Mickey, Rainforest cafe, and Liberty Tree tavern in magic Kingdom.

Go to International drive for good food. Front Row sports bar is greta for games, and is kid friendly. Huge arcade and a ton of TVs.

Crystal Palace is pretty damn tasty too.

Keep in mind that when you stay at a Disney resort and get a "parking pass" that thing gets you into the parks parking area for free.

I scanned one in a few years back, and put a new date on it each year....haven't paid for parking in 5 years :wacko:

Also, you can schmooze your way into the Contemporary by saying you are going to Chef mickey or something, and park for free, then grab the monorail into the Magic Kingdom....same deal at the Floridian....pick a restaurant and declare reservations....and waallah...free parking....

This is the best scam available. :wacko:

The parent swap is for parents that have a smaller child that can't ride the bigger rides. So since one parent has to go on at a time, when you're going into the ride you ask the dood working there for the parent swap pass. This is so the other parent doesn't have to wait in the line after you're done riding. What I do is walk up with one of my kids and ask for the parent swap pass before riding. Usually they don't say anything, but if they do just tell them that your wife is on the ride right now, and your kid doesn't like fast rides. They will give you the pass for you and 2 riders to use the fast pass lane. If you need more for the same ride, have your wife do the same thing with a different child.

Hmmm...from my understanding and using the switch pass this past June...you don't just get to go in the fast pass line the first time.

The first parent waits in the normal line (or uses a fast pass already picked up earlier)...and they give you a pass as you enter the line. When you are done, the 2nd parent can go right in the fast pass line without picking up a fast pass.

And it was never to let 2 riders into the fast pass line IIRC.

Hmmm...from my understanding and using the switch pass this past June...you don't just get to go in the fast pass line the first time.

The first parent waits in the normal line (or uses a fast pass already picked up earlier)...and they give you a pass as you enter the line. When you are done, the 2nd parent can go right in the fast pass line without picking up a fast pass.

Precisely..... that is why he and I advised to either act confused about it, or outright lie and say the other parent is already on the ride :cry:

Disney is all about customer service, they wont be calling you a liar, they just hand it over :wacko:

That's why you tell the attendant that your wife is in the line already. Most big rides(mission space, Test Track, Space Mtn...) have mutlple attendants standing on the outer parts of the ride, just hit one of them up. I've been doing this for a while, and will be again in January. :wacko:

That's why you tell the attendant that your wife is in the line already. Most big rides(mission space, Test Track, Space Mtn...) have mutlple attendants standing on the outer parts of the ride, just hit one of them up. I've been doing this for a while, and will be again in January. :blink:

Correct. :lol:

That's why you tell the attendant that your wife is in the line already. Most big rides(mission space, Test Track, Space Mtn...) have mutlple attendants standing on the outer parts of the ride, just hit one of them up. I've been doing this for a while, and will be again in January. :blink:

I will have to remember that.

I have been twice in the past year and a half...but probably will not go back for about 2 years with a little one coming in January/February.

The first trip, sept. 06, we did not need any fast passes anyway. We walked right onto any ride we wanted really.

June was a different story.

I have been twice in the past year and a half...but probably will not go back for about 2 years with a little one coming in January/February.

The first trip, sept. 06, we did not need any fast passes anyway. We walked right onto any ride we wanted really.

Check out the ticket brokers too...

I got Blizzard beach tix for $15 a pop this year.... :blink:

I've been told that the week that we're going is pretty dead. It falls 1 week before many schools go on February break.

I've been told that the week that we're going is pretty dead. It falls 1 week before many schools go on February break.

Yeah...we went the Sunday before Labor day and were there all week. Sunday was pretty busy. Labor day we spent at Animal Kingdom which was not all that busy...the rest of the week was completely dead.

I have also hear that its pretty dead right after Thanksgiving and that they already have the Christmas stuff up so its a good time to go as well.

Yeah...we went the Sunday before Labor day and were there all week. Sunday was pretty busy. Labor day we spent at Animal Kingdom which was not all that busy...the rest of the week was completely dead.

I have also hear that its pretty dead right after Thanksgiving and that they already have the Christmas stuff up so its a good time to go as well.

The Christmas stuff went up November 11th. :shocking:

The Christmas stuff went up November 11th. :shocking:

Yeah...I know it goes up early...but have heard from some workers that its busier before Thanksgiving than it is after (with some schools getting their fall breaks and stuff).