Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

I was in my wife's email account and oops....

I believe I stumbled across my birthday gift. Before you get all bothered about the invading the email, I should mention that it's pretty much an open book on both ends and I was in there to get some info. about bills.

Anyways, it's an authentic Detroit Tigers jersey. Cool right? Absolutely and it was a total surprise, but she broke the cardinal rule of jersey wearing. Never, ever put your own damn name on the jersey. Not to mention, she put my high school football number on there. (42) The obvious problem with that is that it's Jackie Robinson's league wide retired number so I will look like a jackass times two.

So she spent $240.00 on this focking thing and I'm going to feel like a doosh wearing it.

:banana: :pointstosky:

:lol:

Was it shipped yet? If not, sneak into her email again, get the order number and change the order to whatever jersey you want. Then when you open it act so surprised and happy she won't have the heart to change it. Problem solved.

Was it shipped yet? If not, sneak into her email again, get the order number and change the order to whatever jersey you want. Then when you open it act so surprised and happy she won't have the heart to change it. Problem solved.

Not shipped, but the order was placed Dec. 20th

I'm absolutely screwed :pointstosky:

I believe I stumbled across my birthday gift. Before you get all bothered about the invading the email, I should mention that it's pretty much an open book on both ends and I was in there to get some info. about bills.

Anyways, it's an authentic Detroit Tigers jersey. Cool right? Absolutely and it was a total surprise, but she broke the cardinal sin of jersey wearing. Never, ever put your own damn name on the jersey. Not to mention, she put my high school football number on there. (42) The obvious problem with that is that it's Jackie Robinson's league wide retired number so I will look like a jackass times two.

So she spent $240.00 on this focking thing and I'm going to feel like a doosh wearing it.

:mad: :pointstosky:

:banana:

Why do you hate black people? :lol:

Not shipped, but the order was placed Dec. 20th

I'm absolutely screwed :lol:

Intercept the package and then order ANOTHER jersey - the one you want - change to your account and have it express delivered? :pointstosky:

Why do you hate black people? :pointstosky:

:banana: :lol:

Intercept the package and then order ANOTHER jersey - the one you want - change to your account and have it express delivered? :pointstosky:

She has it being shipped to her place of business. I just can't understand for the life of me if she's going to buy a gift like that why she wouldn't try to gather up some intelligence on what I may be looking for. "Who's your favorite player" or even joke around and say something about guys with their own names on their jerseys just to see my reaction.

Love the wife, but she dropped the spaulding on this one. :lol:

How difficult is it to change the lettering on these things? Does it fock it up for good or what?

She has it being shipped to her place of business. I just can't understand for the life of me if she's going to buy a gift like that why she wouldn't try to gather up some intelligence on what I may be looking for. "Who's your favorite player" or even joke around and say something about guys with their own names on their jerseys just to see my reaction.

Love the wife, but she dropped the spaulding on this one. :banana:

How difficult is it to change the lettering on these things? Does it fock it up for good or what?

No idea man. I had a similar thing happen to a lesser extent - my folks bought me a Kearse jersey THIS YEAR. :lol:

My solution was to pitch it in the trash. Since you can't do that, I suggest you insist on getting it framed and eventually that frame finds its way into your attic.

Good luck. :pointstosky:

Love the wife, but she dropped the spaulding on this one. :lol:

In all honesty she probably thought she was doing a great job by putting your name and number on it. I doubt she understands all the unwritten rules of jersey wearing and such. Not to pile on, but you probably would hurt her feelings by even hinting that you don't like it because I'd imagine she feels pretty proud that she got you your favorite teams jersey, fully customized with your name and number and didn't even have to hint around and risk giving it away. Whether the result is great or not, her intentions were excellent and I'd just wear the hell out of that thing anyway just because that's a really great gesture on her part.

My suggestion: Either prepare a facade for the day you open it in advance, or buy her something and give it to her on your birthday so she'll be so thrilled and excited at YOUR good gesture that she wont notice you're disappointed in the gift. Make sure it's something she totally doesn't want or like, but that will look like a great, sentimental thought. That way you can just both lie to each other. I think Mephisto calls this the cancel out theory. :pointstosky:

No idea man. I had a similar thing happen to a lesser extent - my folks bought me a Kearse jersey THIS YEAR. :banana:

My solution was to pitch it in the trash. Since you can't do that, I suggest you insist on getting it framed and eventually that frame finds its way into your attic.

Good luck. :pointstosky:

Put myself into my own personal hall of fame. Should I sign the jersey as well? :lol:

Put myself into my own personal hall of fame. Should I sign the jersey as well? :overhead:

He's actually onto something there. That's a pretty good idea. Have your wife, kids, whatever sign it for you and then do the frame thing. She'd think it meant even more to you, it'd get the kids involved (I don't even know if you have kids, etc. so sorry on that one if ya don't.) and you'd never have to wear the goofy thing. :thumbsup:

In all honesty she probably thought she was doing a great job by putting your name and number on it. I doubt she understands all the unwritten rules of jersey wearing and such. Not to pile on, but you probably would hurt her feelings by even hinting that you don't like it because I'd imagine she feels pretty proud that she got you your favorite teams jersey, fully customized with your name and number and didn't even have to hint around and risk giving it away. Whether the result is great or not, her intentions were excellent and I'd just wear the hell out of that thing anyway just because that's a really great gesture on her part.

My suggestion: Either prepare a facade for the day you open it in advance, or buy her something and give it to her on your birthday so she'll be so thrilled and excited at YOUR good gesture that she wont notice you're disappointed in the gift. Make sure it's something she totally doesn't want or like, but that will look like a great, sentimental thought. That way you can just both lie to each other. I think Mephisto calls this the cancel out theory. :overhead:

Great points. I do understand how much value it would have to her to see me fired up about a thoughtful gift. I'm already in the mirror practicing my fake amazement and joyous splendor.

This my answer to her fake orgasms. :thumbsup:

He's actually onto something there. That's a pretty good idea. Have your wife, kids, whatever sign it for you and then do the frame thing. She'd think it meant even more to you, it'd get the kids involved (I don't even know if you have kids, etc. so sorry on that one if ya don't.) and you'd never have to wear the goofy thing. :overhead:

EXACTLY. You act totally thrilled with the jersey and tell her you couldn't possibly wear it - it's just way too nice for that. Then you get everybody to sign it, put it in a frame and hang it in your office or whatever. All you've got to do now is move w/in the next few years so you can accidently lose it.

I'm a genius. :thumbsup:

EXACTLY. You act totally thrilled with the jersey and tell her you couldn't possibly wear it - it's just way too nice for that. Then you get everybody to sign it, put it in a frame and hang it in your office or whatever. All you've got to do now is move w/in the next few years so you can accidently lose it.

I'm a genius. :thumbsup:

Moving is out of the question. We just bought a new pad. :overhead:

Anyways, I actually think I'm going go with surprise, and extemely pleased look on my face but then pull out the honesty card and tell her of the unwritten rule of jersey wearing. Unless you are under the age of 10, you just don't put your name on it.

However, I may keep the 42 on it and then put Robinson on the back. I kinda like the tribute aspect of it. Is that cheesy to put Jackie's name on a different team?

You're fucked, because you're going to HAVE to wear it in front of her, in public, multiple times. Yikes.

You're going to have to fuck her, in public, multiple times. Yikes.

This won't solve anything.

Dude, I am a HUGE tigers fan and a HUGE baseball fan in general. I have to tell you though you are making a MUCH bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. So what she put Robinsons/your number on it. Who cares. Your wife went out of her way to make YOU feel special. Women don't understand that there are a few numbers that are retired. What they do understand though is their man not liking a gift. My advice is to wear it as is. Don't do a thing to it. Most people will not say a freaking word about it, even tigers fans. DO NOT "be honest" with your wife. She will not be happy with that no matter what she says. She will feel like she went out of her way to get you something and you did not like it. Like I said. Its not a big deal. You would be suprised how many personalized jerseys you see at tigers games. Next time you are there look around.

Dude, I am a HUGE tigers fan and a HUGE baseball fan in general. I have to tell you though you are making a MUCH bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. So what she put Robinsons/your number on it. Who cares. Your wife went out of her way to make YOU feel special. Women don't understand that there are a few numbers that are retired. What they do understand though is their man not liking a gift. My advice is to wear it as is. Don't do a thing to it. Most people will not say a freaking word about it, even tigers fans. DO NOT "be honest" with your wife. She will not be happy with that no matter what she says. She will feel like she went out of her way to get you something and you did not like it. Like I said. Its not a big deal. You would be suprised how many personalized jerseys you see at tigers games. Next time you are there look around.

Yup.

Its not a big deal. You would be suprised how many personalized jerseys you see at tigers games. Next time you are there look around.

The number isn't that big of a deal, however, I am still pretty skeptical of having my name on the back. I always kinda look at those guys and say " that's uber gay". :cheers: If I had kids and we all had our little jerseys on as a family, no biggie. That's cute I guess, but some dood hanging out with other doods or his wife at the game looks like a wanna be with his name on the back. :mad: Sorry.

Do I want to disappoint my wife? Of course not, but she's not THAT sensitive where it's going to blow up the whole idea of the gift if I asked her if I could put Jackie Robinson's last name on there instead.

The number isn't that big of a deal, however, I am still pretty skeptical of having my name on the back. I always kinda look at those guys and say " that's uber gay". :cheers: If I had kids and we all had our little jerseys on as a family, no biggie. That's cute I guess, but some dood hanging out with other doods or his wife at the game looks like a wanna be with his name on the back. :mad: Sorry.

Do I want to disappoint my wife? Of course not, but she's not THAT sensitive where it's going to blow up the whole idea of the gift if I asked her if I could put Jackie Robinson's last name on there instead.

I guess its a personal choice. It would not bother me at all. However it apparently does bother you. I understand where you are coming from in saying that she is not "THAT sensitive" however I am going to go ahead and stereotype here and say that they are ALL that sensitive. Like I said it just seems that its not such a big deal that you can't wear it a couple of times and then quit wearing it if you still don't like it.

He's actually onto something there. That's a pretty good idea. Have your wife, kids, whatever sign it for you and then do the frame thing. She'd think it meant even more to you, it'd get the kids involved (I don't even know if you have kids, etc. so sorry on that one if ya don't.) and you'd never have to wear the goofy thing. :cheers:

For a youngun' you ain't as dumb as most. Good idea. Have them all sign it on the front, then it can be framed such that no one will ever see the back. And, when you get to my age, you will actually really appreciate it because of the sig's and the memories. :mad:

I guess its a personal choice. It would not bother me at all. However it apparently does bother you. I understand where you are coming from in saying that she is not "THAT sensitive" however I am going to go ahead and stereotype here and say that they are ALL that sensitive. Like I said it just seems that its not such a big deal that you can't wear it a couple of times and then quit wearing it if you still don't like it.

Like you, I'm an avid Tiger's fan and I couldn't just wear it a couple times and call it quits. That would be more insulting to her than me ever tellling her how I actually feel about it.

It's not like it's some Kmart off the rack jersey. It's a MLB authentic that was $240.00. If she's going to spend the money, I might as well be honest and tell her how an alteration of it might make it nothing short of spectacular in my mind. I understand your point, and I'm the type of guy who is pretty comfortable in his own shoes. Hell, give me a pink dress shirt to wear. The ladies like the confidence but parading my last name around on a jersey is not my idea of being comfortable at all.

No, yostevo is right. People with custom jerseys with their own names on them look like total focking tools. It's just true.

I agree with the signing/framing idea. Then he doesn't have to wear it and she won't get her feelings hurt. It's a win/win as long as he pulls it off convincingly.

No, yostevo is right. People with custom jerseys with their own names on them look like total focking tools. It's just true.

I agree with the signing/framing idea. Then he doesn't have to wear it and she won't get her feelings hurt. It's a win/win as long as he pulls it off convincingly.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I think it shows how much of a fan you are to have a personalized jersey. I don't have one only because I don't really like wearing jerseys from any sport. I like the T-shirts much better.

Would you feel the same way if she got you Detroit hat with your number/name on the back? It would be more subtle and again I doubt anyone would call you on it.

Again I just fail to see the problem. You should be happy that you have a wife that cares about you enough to not only know who your favorite team is but to know your old number as well. Just overlook the fact that you share robinsons number. Do what you are going to do though. Keep us updated as to how she takes it.

Oh and GO TIGERS.

exactly... and it's not like it's a dodger's jersey with robinson's number on it... i doubt hardly anyone would notice... and who knows... maybe someone with your last name will make it to the tigers :doublethumbsup:

Nope....intercept that damn thing and send er back. Can't have your own name on it :thumbsdown:

How bout #23 and Gibson....I got one of those :doublethumbsup:

isnt #42 like a safety or RB number? With your stature i would have guessed you to be a OT or NG. :doublethumbsup:

actually i figured you to be a CB or WR

Nope....intercept that damn thing and send er back. Can't have your own name on it :nono:

How bout #23 and Gibson....I got one of those :angry:

what if your last name was gibson?

look at the bright side....at least it was a gift for you and not the mailman..did you see THAT email?....shes going to have a package delivered to her while u are fighting with drunks at comerica...

im sure theres nothing better than having drunks yell your name and telling u to sit down... :overhead:

plus....the fft/tdz crew will be out at games looking for you...

The one thing you're overlooking is that she probably got (or intends to get) tickets for the two of you to go to a game too. So, of course, she will expect you to proudly wear the jersey. IMHO I could care less what name/number is on a jersey. The only time a grown man looks foolish at a ball game is when he brings a glove to catch a foul/HR ball. At a game, gloves are for kids and the players. If you can't catch the foul/HR ball with your bare hand you don't deserve to have it (plus I'm a big fan of giving it to a kid after you catch it anyway.) I say get over it and enjoy the gift for what it is, the thought, time, money and effort by the woman who loves you to get you something she thought would make you happy.

Sew a black band around one of the sleeves as a tribute to Robinson. Problem solved, next :thumbsdown:

I thought you were implying that you had an open marriage. If thats the case, I am betting your wife is an open book on both ends. :thumbsdown:

You should be happy that you have a wife that cares about you enough to not only know who your favorite team is but to know your old number as well.

:cry:

I understand both viewpoints, but I'm of the belief that you should just feel lucky that your wife wanted to do something that special for you - and should wear it proudly.

The frame idea is nice, but I'm thinking that's not quite what your wife had in mind when she bought it. I'm sure that she would be much happier seeing you wearing it out in public - rather than hanging it on a wall.

After all, she is the one that cared enough to buy the gift for you, so you should care enough make her happy by wearing it.

Who gives a fock what a bunch of drunk doosh bags at a baseball game think about you anyway? She should be the only one whose thoughts you are considering anyway.

The one thing you're overlooking is that she probably got (or intends to get) tickets for the two of you to go to a game too. So, of course, she will expect you to proudly wear the jersey. IMHO I could care less what name/number is on a jersey. The only time a grown man looks foolish at a ball game is when he brings a glove to catch a foul/HR ball. At a game, gloves are for kids and the players. If you can't catch the foul/HR ball with your bare hand you don't deserve to have it (plus I'm a big fan of giving it to a kid after you catch it anyway.) I say get over it and enjoy the gift for what it is, the thought, time, money and effort by the woman who loves you to get you something she thought would make you happy.

good point...bring your wife to the game and with her halter top, no one will be looking at u and your jersey anyway.....

go home....let her wear the jersey(a good look) :overhead: let her blow u....let er rip...once the jersey is um....ruined...you wont have to wear it again.....

problem solved...

then again..there was a 12 year span where the tigers sucked and no one knew half of the players...chances are, someone will think you were a former player.....sign a few autographs, tell the kids to beat it....have some fun with it...

Anyways, it's an authentic Detroit Tigers jersey. Cool right? Absolutely and it was a total surprise, but she broke the cardinal rule of jersey wearing. Never, ever put your own damn name on the jersey. Not to mention, she put my high school football number on there. (42) The obvious problem with that is that it's Jackie Robinson's league wide retired number so I will look like a jackass times two.

:mad: :overhead:

:ninja:

Why are you going to feel like a doosh? You have as much of a right to that numbers as any stupid athlete. Fock Jackie Robinson. Fock him in his fockhole. I want to piss on his grave.

On the other hand, anyone that wears a jersey is a doosh, so I guess that I'll just say never mind and leave this thread.

In fact, I might go out an buy a jersey that says "Fock you, Jackie Robinson. You faggity creep." :overhead: :ninja:

isnt #42 like a safety or RB number? With your stature i would have guessed you to be a OT or NG. :ninja:

actually i figured you to be a CB or WR

I was a CB/WR in the good old days. 42 was a tribute to Ronnie Lot. :overhead:

look at the bright side....at least it was a gift for you and not the mailman..did you see THAT email?....shes going to have a package delivered to her while u are fighting with drunks at comerica...

im sure theres nothing better than having drunks yell your name and telling u to sit down... :overhead:

plus....the fft/tdz crew will be out at games looking for you...

Your'e not helping here. :ninja:

Sew a black band around one of the sleeves as a tribute to Robinson. Problem solved, next :overhead:

Are you suggesting that I sew a picture of NWA around my arm?