Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Ebonics

As far as what Ive done to advance my race. Really? You can kiss my black AZZ. I do a whole hell of a lot but I dont have the need or desire to share that with you. What do you do to advance your race? What do you do to advance anyone's interest other than your own? Please share specifics.

Yeah, that's pretty much the theme of every post you make about this. You make assertions but don't back them up. I back mine up with things like, uh, proof. You then dismiss the proof with unproven counterclaims. But that's pretty much the way African Americans act in this discussion. They don't have any actual facts to support their position so they keep falling back on the same uproven (in this day and age) claims. You and Peenie are so similar.

And then you both end your arguments with "You can kiss my black AZZ.". Kind of sad actually. But it's your race, not mine, that is in trouble. No skin off my back.

PEACE :thumbsdown:

As far as my response time, I guess it never occured to you that I may have other things in my life to do besides post on this bored.

What a horrible response. You responded to a bunch of other posts AFTER the points were made about the numerous programs to help African Americans get a good education. Now you're saying it's because you weren't posting because you weren't here? That's funny. Don't let things like facts get in the way or your excuses. :thumbsdown:

Yeah, that's pretty much the theme of every post you make about this. You make assertions but don't back them up. I back mine up with things like, uh, proof. You then dismiss the proof with unproven counterclaims. But that's pretty much the way African Americans act in this discussion. They don't have any actual facts to support their position so they keep falling back on the same uproven (in this day and age) claims. You and Peenie are so similar.

And then you both end your arguments with "You can kiss my black AZZ.". Kind of sad actually. But it's your race, not mine, that is in trouble. No skin off my back.

PEACE :thumbsdown:

You havent provided any facts other than throwing out the LAUSD policy (the same school district where 9% of the students are white) which is not the cure all you claim it to be. Its all your opinion.

I am an American and I am black so yes, I have an interest in seeing my country and people who look more like me do better. I dont need to explain what I do to some guy named strike on a message board. All I need to do is be able to look in the mirror and be comfortable with who I am. Im happy to say that I can do that. I base my opinons on my experiences and information that I come across.

Its beyond ridiculous to me that people like you can look at the history of what black Americans have experienced in this country and then try to dismiss 350 years of slavery, oppression, overt discriminationand, and their LASTING affects. Are things a lot better in this country NOW? Yes. Can individuals of all races and backgrounds achieve success? Yes. Do some black people use the past as a crutch? Yes. But that doesnt change the fact that on the whole when you look at how statistically black Americans are disproportionately represented in terms of poverty, education, and other things it is a direct result of history. Things happen for a reason.

I have two great parents who invested in me. I am an educated and contributing member of society. I have been blessed with a beautiful wife and Im having my first child in about a month or so. I will do my best to raise her to be the best person she can be. Thats all I can do and thats all I try to do. I dont need to justify things or defend my race to you or anyone else. I am thankful for the oportunities I have been afforded but I also understand the difficulties of those who have not been afforded the same. You can think what you want to about black people in this counrty. People like you look at the negative aspects of certain members of a group of people and then generalize that across the board. Thats whats sad here.

But Im no longer going to waste my energy trying to fit the square peg of logic into te round hole that is your head. You can go to your grave holding onto whatever biases and stereotypes you already have. Myself, my friends, and the millions of other succesful black people in this country will continue to live our lives in spite of the ignorance and the bigots.

What made your parents invest in you so much? This is not a question trying to put you or your parents down. I really am interested in knowing. Did your grandparents do this with your mom and dad? I mean it seems like education is not emphasized as much in the black community as much as others races and yet your parents decided that they would.

A 5-page thread on this subject? Please, give it a rest already.

If nothing else, this thread has proven only one thing: everyone has their opinion and nothing anyone says will prompt them to change it. Now go read a book or something. Geez. :rolleyes:

A 5-page thread on this subject? Please, give it a rest already.

If nothing else, this thread has proven only one thing: everyone has their opinion and nothing anyone says will prompt them to change it. Now go read a book or something. Geez. :rolleyes:

You forgot to log in as peenie.

You forgot to log in as peenie.

peenie wouldn't know the Shift button if it pinched her A-cup boobies. :rolleyes:

how many years did they suffer?

how about hundreds of years of slavery vs a few years of internment for which the japanese were paid over a billion dollars for that. are whites willing to pay blacks for slavery?

How about ending world slavery first.

Why not sue the African tribes for actually making slaves out of them??

How about ending world slavery first.

Why not sue the African tribes for actually making slaves out of them??

Are you suggesting that those east african tribes that kidnapped and sold their fellow Africans are also somehow culpable? You do understand that the racist African American propoganda machine is going to label you an evil racist right? How dare you suggest that African Americans are anything other than everybodys little victim.... :wall:

If you take away thebullsh!t victimization theme, these people have to start accepting responsibility for their own destiny, and that is rather distasteful proposition for a group of people now well-entrenched in the " i deserve" mentality.... :rolleyes:

What made your parents invest in you so much? This is not a question trying to put you or your parents down. I really am interested in knowing. Did your grandparents do this with your mom and dad? I mean it seems like education is not emphasized as much in the black community as much as others races and yet your parents decided that they would.

I dont know if I have a clear answer to your question but I will say that I appreciate you asking. Maybe Im wrong, but it appears that you are actually trying to look at the issue in different ways than perhaps you have done in the past and IMO that is commendable.

Both my parents are from a small segregarted town in rural southwest VA. My grandfather on my Dad's side has a 6th grade education but he has a great work ethic and has made his living by running several different small businesses (Cleaning houses, used tires, fixing up cars, etc.). My mother's family was kind of considered sort of well to do in comparison to some of the other families in the neighborhood. My Dad was a great H.S. athlete, played college football at Va Tech, and has served as a police officer for about 25 years. My mother finished second in her high school class, went on to get two different B.A.'s, and is now a partner in an accounting firm. Not to bore you with the details but just giving you some background info on my parents and where they came from.

My Dad is a simple and straight forward man who has always told me that if I simply work hard and do the right thing then I didnt have to worry about anything else. My Mom is a very driven women who had a plan to achieve financial success for our family and fulfilled it. I dont know exactly what was instilled in them when they were younger but I just know Im thankful that I was blessed with great parents. Its a shame that many other kids, particularly many black kids, cant say the same.

I grew up in the suburbs of Richmond, VA. I attended schools that were prolly 20 to 30% black but I did well on early standardized test and was placed in honors classes. In those classes I was usually one of only 2 or 3 black kids and almost always the only black male. I had tons of identity issues really all the way throughout college but I wont get into that and make this post even longer than it already is. Luckily I've been able to overcome most of my personal insecurities and issues and am on a pretty decent track in life.

So, while I really havent done a great job in answering your question I would like to make attempt to make a final point. I had access to a good education and the resulting opportunities because of my parents and my grandparents. Who knows how my life would turn out if my grandfather was the typical 6th grade dropout, if my parents high school wasnt integrated their freshmen year, or if my mother wasnt more driven than 99% of the people I know. It was pretty easy for me but I recognize thats not the case with a lot of people.

As I've said before there are many people of ALL races and backgrounds who overcome poverty and other obstacles to be successful but its harder to do so than it is for people with less obstacles. And the fact of the matter is that being black in this country has been, and in many cases continues to be, an extra burden or obstacle for people to overcome. Lets look at the experience of black people in America. For the first 250 years of being in this country the majority of black people were forced to do hard physical labor with ZERO compensation while at the same time their education was non existent. Then for the next 40 to 50 years the majority of black Americans were share croppers or held low paying jobs that didnt allow them any realistic means of financial independence. You have to take into account the affect that this had not only on the people who lived through this time period but also on their mentality and that of their children and subsequently their children's children. Then you had the Great Depression were the vast majority of Americans fell on hard financial times. Think about the affect that had on people who already were standing on shaky financial ground as most black families were. Through all of this you did have black Americans who did well for themselves. Many people had business that flourished in the segregated black communities. Once integration became prevalent and black consumers had access to more mainstream products, a lot of the black businesses lost their base. At the same time you had the great migration of black families moving to northern cities to find jobs. The problem was, as peenie alluded to earlier, there wasnt enough housing for all of these families so housing projects began to spring up in cities across America. The goal was to provide these families with affordable housing but there were many unforseen, or maybe ignored, problems with this set up. Once the economy started changing in the 70s many of the industrial jobs, that allowed a lot of black families to begin the track toward middle class, disappeared. The result was you had a concentration of black families isolated in these inner city housing projects who lacked the educational background and networking access to adjust to the changing economy and job market. Many black Americans mired in generations of poverty became hopeless and that hopelessness often results in the drug addiction, violence, and crime rates that you see disproportionately affecting the black community.

When you look at all of that its clear to me why you see the socio-economic statistics that you do. Again, any individual can overcome obstacles and people of all races do it every day. But the overall statistics are going to bear out the results of the social conditions of this country's history. Now, we have progressed as a society and opportunities are much more equitable and accesible. However, many black people are still stuck in a mindset that those opportunities arent there for them. And its a hard mindset to change, especially when you are living in areas of concentrated poverty and its more difficlut to get a quality education and access to networking bases. As individuals, some people do use being black as a crutch and an excuse.. But when you look at the overall statistics its not an exuse, its a reason. The onus now is on black America as a community to uplift themselves and break the cyclical nature of generational poverty. Some people in this thread seem to need a reminder that there are millions of black people in this country doing quite well for themselves. At the same time though, if you want a reason for the why things are the way they are now, you have to look at what has happened in the past to shape the present. If you dont believe that the past has had a profound affect on the socio-economic stats that we see in this county then you must believe that black Americans are inherently lazy, stupid, and violent. That is something that I dont believe and will never believe.

I dont know if I have a clear answer to your question but I will say that I appreciate you asking. Maybe Im wrong, but it appears that you are actually trying to look at the issue in different ways than perhaps you have done in the past and IMO that is commendable.

Both my parents are from a small segregarted town in rural southwest VA. My grandfather on my Dad's side has a 6th grade education but he has a great work ethic and has made his living by running several different small businesses (Cleaning houses, used tires, fixing up cars, etc.). My mother's family was kind of considered sort of well to do in comparison to some of the other families in the neighborhood. My Dad was a great H.S. athlete, played college football at Va Tech, and has served as a police officer for about 25 years. My mother finished second in her high school class, went on to get two different B.A.'s, and is now a partner in an accounting firm. Not to bore you with the details but just giving you some background info on my parents and where they came from.

My Dad is a simple and straight forward man who has always told me that if I simply work hard and do the right thing then I didnt have to worry about anything else. My Mom is a very driven women who had a plan to achieve financial success for our family and fulfilled it. I dont know exactly what was instilled in them when they were younger but I just know Im thankful that I was blessed with great parents. Its a shame that many other kids, particularly many black kids, cant say the same.

I grew up in the suburbs of Richmond, VA. I attended schools that were prolly 20 to 30% black but I did well on early standardized test and was placed in honors classes. In those classes I was usually one of only 2 or 3 black kids and almost always the only black male. I had tons of identity issues really all the way throughout college but I wont get into that and make this post even longer than it already is. Luckily I've been able to overcome most of my personal insecurities and issues and am on a pretty decent track in life.

So, while I really havent done a great job in answering your question I would like to make attempt to make a final point. I had access to a good education and the resulting opportunities because of my parents and my grandparents. Who knows how my life would turn out if my grandfather was the typical 6th grade dropout, if my parents high school wasnt integrated their freshmen year, or if my mother wasnt more driven than 99% of the people I know. It was pretty easy for me but I recognize thats not the case with a lot of people.

As I've said before there are many people of ALL races and backgrounds who overcome poverty and other obstacles to be successful but its harder to do so than it is for people with less obstacles. And the fact of the matter is that being black in this country has been, and in many cases continues to be, an extra burden or obstacle for people to overcome. Lets look at the experience of black people in America. For the first 250 years of being in this country the majority of black people were forced to do hard physical labor with ZERO compensation while at the same time their education was non existent. Then for the next 40 to 50 years the majority of black Americans were share croppers or held low paying jobs that didnt allow them any realistic means of financial independence. You have to take into account the affect that this had not only on the people who lived through this time period but also on their mentality and that of their children and subsequently their children's children. Then you had the Great Depression were the vast majority of Americans fell on hard financial times. Think about the affect that had on people who already were standing on shaky financial ground as most black families were. Through all of this you did have black Americans who did well for themselves. Many people had business that flourished in the segregated black communities. Once integration became prevalent and black consumers had access to more mainstream products, a lot of the black businesses lost their base. At the same time you had the great migration of black families moving to northern cities to find jobs. The problem was, as peenie alluded to earlier, there wasnt enough housing for all of these families so housing projects began to spring up in cities across America. The goal was to provide these families with affordable housing but there were many unforseen, or maybe ignored, problems with this set up. Once the economy started changing in the 70s many of the industrial jobs, that allowed a lot of black families to begin the track toward middle class, disappeared. The result was you had a concentration of black families isolated in these inner city housing projects who lacked the educational background and networking access to adjust to the changing economy and job market. Many black Americans mired in generations of poverty became hopeless and that hopelessness often results in the drug addiction, violence, and crime rates that you see disproportionately affecting the black community.

When you look at all of that its clear to me why you see the socio-economic statistics that you do. Again, any individual can overcome obstacles and people of all races do it every day. But the overall statistics are going to bear out the results of the social conditions of this country's history. Now, we have progressed as a society and opportunities are much more equitable and accesible. However, many black people are still stuck in a mindset that those opportunities arent there for them. And its a hard mindset to change, especially when you are living in areas of concentrated poverty and its more difficlut to get a quality education and access to networking bases. As individuals, some people do use being black as a crutch and an excuse.. But when you look at the overall statistics its not an exuse, its a reason. The onus now is on black America as a community to uplift themselves and break the cyclical nature of generational poverty. Some people in this thread seem to need a reminder that there are millions of black people in this country doing quite well for themselves. At the same time though, if you want a reason for the why things are the way they are now, you have to look at what has happened in the past to shape the present. If you dont believe that the past has had a profound affect on the socio-economic stats that we see in this county then you must believe that black Americans are inherently lazy, stupid, and violent. That is something that I dont believe and will never believe.

werds, werds, werds :thumbsdown:

I agree that black folks have not had it easy in this country. I also beilieve that there are tons of black people out there have had success. As I have said before I grew up in ga and went to school with a lot of black kids and I am still friends with some of them. I am not black. I am about as bright white as they come so it is true that I can not relate to the problems that the average black man goes through. That being said The problem as I see it is two fold. 1 is the fact that blacks can't get over the fact of slavery. I know its hard to do. I know it was a terrible time in the history of our great nation. However its not going to ever happen again and we have come a long way since the days of jim crowe and share cropping. No one alive knew a slave or knew someone that knew a slave. Knowing the past and living in the past are 2 different things and it seems to me that blacks(not all of them mind you) can not get over the past and move on to bigger and better things.

The 2nd one is that blacks do not emphasize education enough. I knew brilliant black kids in high school. The Valedictorian of my class was a black guy. However they were the exception to the rule. I started 9th grade with 400 kids in our class with more blacks than whites. I graduated with 200. Of the 200 kids that dropped out about 80% were black and the class had shifted to more whites than blacks by graduation day. I knew black kids in school that were smart but hid it because they did not want to be considered too white. Untill its not looked down upon to be smart I don't see how it can change for the better.

I know this started as a topic on ebonics it has kinda morphed into a larger overall question about the problems that plague the black community and what can be done to fix them.

I agree that black folks have not had it easy in this country. I also beilieve that there are tons of black people out there have had success. As I have said before I grew up in ga and went to school with a lot of black kids and I am still friends with some of them. I am not black. I am about as bright white as they come so it is true that I can not relate to the problems that the average black man goes through. That being said The problem as I see it is two fold. 1 is the fact that blacks can't get over the fact of slavery. I know its hard to do. I know it was a terrible time in the history of our great nation. However its not going to ever happen again and we have come a long way since the days of jim crowe and share cropping. No one alive knew a slave or knew someone that knew a slave. Knowing the past and living in the past are 2 different things and it seems to me that blacks(not all of them mind you) can not get over the past and move on to bigger and better things.

The 2nd one is that blacks do not emphasize education enough. I knew brilliant black kids in high school. The Valedictorian of my class was a black guy. However they were the exception to the rule. I started 9th grade with 400 kids in our class with more blacks than whites. I graduated with 200. Of the 200 kids that dropped out about 80% were black and the class had shifted to more whites than blacks by graduation day. I knew black kids in school that were smart but hid it because they did not want to be considered too white. Untill its not looked down upon to be smart I don't see how it can change for the better.

I know this started as a topic on ebonics it has kinda morphed into a larger overall question about the problems that plague the black community and what can be done to fix them.

werds, werds, werds :thumbsdown:

I dont disagree with any of this although I will point out that while there MAY not be anyone alive who knew a slave there are many people alive who have suffered through overt and severe racial discrimination. Not just knew someone, but suffered through it themselves. I dont think there is any doubt that Black America, particularly those on the wrong side of the economic spectrum, need to change their collective mentality in regards to many things. My point is that the current mindset is a direct result of the history of the black experience in this country.

However, things have changed and as I said before the onus is on the black community to uplift itself.

I think a major problem in discussing race in this country is that people are incapable of viewing things from a different perspective than their own as well as the fact that people are quick to get defensive and accusatory. When black people bring up the past white people often get defensive because they dont wont to be blamed, rightfully so, for things that happened in the past. And when white people dismiss the past black people get defensive b/c then we feel like you are saying the past has no affect on the present and that black people are to blame for all of the problems in the country.

I've tried to learn something from this thread and I think I was able to do so and hopefully through all of my gum flapping someone else may have learned something or at least tried to look at things from a different perspective. But Im done with this topic for now.

:pointstosky:

And when white people dismiss the past black people get defensive b/c then we feel like you are saying the past has no affect on the present and that black people are to blame for all of the problems in the country.

VaTerp, I want to commend you for having an open mind in this discussion, it is quite refreshing. :shocking:

I don't think anyone here is trying to blame black people for all of the problems in this country. If they are, shame on them IMO.

I picked up my son from a birthday sleepover yesterday. The birfday boy and his dad are black. The dad is a successful doctor. He does not speak ebonics.

Sure the past has an effect. But it does not need to define you. I've had my own challenges which I won't detail here; I will say that being black was not one of them. But to hold that up as the reason for lack of success is IMO a convenient excuse. Everyone has varying levels of challenge; the best rise to the top. The solution is to get the black community beyond the convenient excuse of being black and into the mode of how they can succeed. Again, IMO. :pointstosky:

I am suprised pen!s has not popped in to spew some racist bullcrap today(at least not as herself. She did use her alias though)

1 is the fact that blacks can't get over the fact of slavery. I know its hard to do.... it seems to me that blacks(not all of them mind you) can not get over the past...

Gotdammit....Every time there's a discussion about slavery, it's always a white dude who says, "hey, it was a long time ago...just forget about it." That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Wrong is wrong, if it was 400 years ago or 400 days ago.

To hear the stories of how families were torn apart, of how many Black folks were thrown overboard during the Middle Passage, of how Black women were raped by their white massas...that was focked up--regardless of when it happened.

And sure, it's in the history books that Blacks in West Africa sold their own people into captivity; I hoped they bar-b-qued in hell along with the rest of those focking bastards who looked at us as three-fifths of a human being.

Gotdammit....Every time there's a discussion about slavery, it's always a white dude who says, "hey, it was a long time ago...just forget about it." That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Wrong is wrong, if it was 400 years ago or 400 days ago.

To hear the stories of how families were torn apart, of how many Black folks were thrown overboard during the Middle Passage, of how Black women were raped by their white massas...that was focked up--regardless of when it happened.

And sure, it's in the history books that Blacks in West Africa sold their own people into captivity; I hoped they bar-b-qued in hell along with the rest of those focking bastards who looked at us as three-fifths of a human being.

Motherfock!! Which one of these horrible situations did you experience????

i dont think anyone said it wasn't wrong

the question is....now what?

Motherfock!! Which one of these horrible situations did you experience????

Yeah, sure. If I didn't personally experience it, I shouldn't have any opinion. You fit in just nicely with the rest of these narrow-minded folks in this thread.

So I suppose 50 years from now, Americans who had no personal connection to 9/11 should feel less pissed about the attacks? Gimme a break.

Damn it peenie why don't you come on out and post under your real name instead of using your alias.

Damn it peenie why don't you come on out and post under your real name instead of using your alias.

cause that is not me, you cracka ass cracka!

i will let you know when it is me

and that is not me

now go back and burn your crosses on somebody elses front laun

So I suppose 50 years from now, Americans who had no personal connection to 9/11 should feel less pissed about the attacks? Gimme a break.

Yeah, but I think everyone would laugh if they used 9/11 as an excuse of why they can't talk correctly or graduate from high school.

Ok, anyone notice that Peenie and Osiris just happen to be the ONLY ones on the entire bored that use the word got damn or gotdammit? But of course they are not the same person. :pointstosky:

first of all i am not posting under any alias.

if i have something to say, you better got damn believe i will post it under my own user name.

Ok, anyone notice that Peenie and Osiris just happen to be the ONLY ones on the entire bored that use the word got damn or gotdammit? But of course they are not the same person. :pointstosky:

You may be right. Or not. One alias, two aliai, who cares how many ignorant aliai post the same drivel? :shocking:

oh my lawrd. why do you all think i would post under an alias?

what would be the purpose?

i have no problem expressing myself.

i don't need to make up another person in order to give my viewpoint.

i haven't even read those posts because they're too long.

if someone is a moderator i'm sure they'd be able to back up whether that's me or not.

i don't have time for making an alias when i can simply say what i want under peenie.

Yeah, but I think everyone would laugh if they used 9/11 as an excuse of why they can't talk correctly or graduate from high school.

Not sure who mentioned slavery as an excuse for poor speech or educational challenges, but it certainly wasn't me.

You may be right. Or not. One alias, two aliai, who cares how many ignorant aliai post the same drivel? :pointstosky:

i don't spell it that way; mine is gotdamn-using God would be offensive.

you all make up plenty ignorant aliai on your own.

oh my lawrd. why do you all think i would post under an alias?

what would be the purpose?

i have no problem expressing myself.

i don't need to make up another person in order to give my viewpoint.

i haven't even read those posts because they're too long.

if someone is a moderator i'm sure they'd be able to back up whether that's me or not.

i don't have time for making an alias when i can simply say what i want under peenie.

Just don't use ebonics. :pointstosky:

i'm not posting anymore on this subject because really, you all never want an answer to any question when it deals with black people. you just want a way to unload your racist opinions about black people.

you'll pretend you have a question and during the answer you try to stear the topic so you can begin a diatribe the failings of black people.

i don't care to read about your views anymore.

i don't give a fock what you think.

we are doing our thing and that's it.

if you don't like it, move to europe, join the skinheads-i don't care. i'm just over it, over you all and your constant racial bashing.

i'm not posting anymore on this subject because really, you all never want an answer to any question when it deals with black people. you just want a way to unload your racist opinions about black people.

you'll pretend you have a question and during the answer you try to stear the topic so you can begin a diatribe the failings of black people.

if you don't like it, move to europe, join the skinheads-i don't care. i'm just over it, over you all and your constant racial bashing.

I think I'll stay here, thanks for asking. BTW, wanna grudge fock? :doublethumbsup:

Why the hell did you open this thread then? Like 6 pages ago this was legit discussion, and other than you and //////Osiris//////////// it's stayed that way and hasn't gotten hostile. Have you noticed that things like that tend to happen when you get involved in these threads? I can't understand why you feel compelled to jump in and get pissed off. :doublethumbsup:

Before you go ahead and jump on me peenie about this being a racist thread hear me out. Why do blacks insist on speaking the english language this way? For the most part they recieve the same education that white people do and yet insist on using ebonics. Don't they understand that it makes them sound dumb? My class was about half black where I grew up. I watched as the black kids in class spoke their version of english even as teachers tried to break them of it. They did not care then and I am sure they don't care now. Hell even illegals can speak the english language better than a lot of blacks that were born here. Its just something I don't understand.

because sometimes people just want to be different or in this case sound different.....

does the man have to know everything?

sometimes black people just DON'T want yall to know what the fock they are talkin about! :thumbsup:

why do ebonics sound similar to tropical island dialects? ever heard of pig latin? how do you compare that to ebonics? how do you compare slang to ebonics? :nono:

why can asian people speak broken english and it is considered to be funny? and with black people it is considered to be stupid? i know some black people with doctorates who speak ebonics when in certain settings....who can also speak king's english with the nasal nerdy caucasian twist when necessary.... and back to asians...i know of some asian people who sound as if they are white when they speak....not every black person feels that they are here by choice and not every black person wants to be assimilated into amerikkka's melting pot.

This topic has had more responses than any other topic I have ever posted it think. Even more than the one about the shanty I found on my land or the one about the hawkmoth that people swore was a hummingbird.

I would like to thank the little people. Peenie/osiris. And all the rest of you that are not tree dwelling racist dwarfs.

I have tried to stay away from this thread but there is something I just don't understand.

Ebonics was not an issue or even a thought even 20 years ago.

Slavery ended 200+ years ago.

What has happened in the last 20 years that connects ebonics to slavery?

Last, since slavery ended 200+ years ago and there are 5-6 genertions per 100 years that means that we have been separated from slavery by 20-24 generations. How can any rational human being possibly bring slavery up as an excuse for a 70% out of wedlock birth rate and insipid educational performance by blacks today?

Mystified.

BTW, do blacks not watch TV? AX is not a word heard on TV. How could they not understand that AX is not ask?

I have tried to stay away from this thread but there is something I just don't understand.

Last, since slavery ended 200+ years ago and there are 5-6 genertions per 100 years that means that we have been separated from slavery by 20-24 generations. How can any rational human being possibly bring slavery up as an excuse for a 70% out of wedlock birth rate and insipid educational performance by blacks today?

Mystified.

BTW, do blacks not watch TV? AX is not a word heard on TV. How could they not understand that AX is not ask?

what does an out of wedlock birth rate have to do with ebonics? :nono:

not all people that come to this country speak proper english. i know of some irish, south afrikaan and australian white people who cannot pronounce ebry (every) word in the american english language perfectly either.

i believe that peenie brought up the point that some people just tend to have difficulty pronouncing certain words. i have seen many a white news anchor, radio talk show host, business person, teacher and politician stumble over names of people from other countries and words from other languages/cultures that they are not familiar with. then again i have seen some stumble over and mispronunce common words in american english.

here in georgia, i have seen some white people who make the squidbilles sound like robin leach.

and i guess that this feller speaks eBUSHonics :thumbsup:

Mystified.

Not to support ebonics or anything, but your knowledge of historical timelines and math really suck. :wacko:

Huh?

Slavery ended 200 PLUS years ago? Didn't the civil war end in 1865 (NOT marking that as the end of slavery, but as a historical point)? And there aren't 20 to 24 generations in that time frame. In my own family, I can only count 6 or 7.

Talk about mystified.