Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2008 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Seattle Seahawks

You got your long snapper with a 6th rounder. :D

No kidding.

6th round, #189 Tyler Schmitt, LB, San Diego St.

Never heard of him. Not in my top 300. I guess Seattle took him in order to lead the league with players with the last name

Schmitt.

Ruskell, you fock stick. :shocking: :nono:

Ok, fellas. Start scouring over all players available for this draft. We need to find another Schmitt we can take with the next pick.

Go!!!!!!!

This is pretty funny

"

by: Michael Steffes

In the Sixth round with the 189th overall pick the Seahawks have chosen to address the huge hole at long snapper by taking Tyler Schmidt from San Diego St.

Schmidt was a four year starter at San Diego St. He specializes in long snapping only. He is a good athlete as he played Defensive End in high school. Many people had him ranked as the 2nd long snapper on the board. Obviously the Hawks liked him better than Tim Bugg.

It will be interesting to see if they get a kicker to pair with Schmidt. This is also two picks in row with essentially the same last name. Way to confuse the trainers Ruskell (and the fans too). END

" :shocking:

I've checked several different lists. No more Schmitts. :shocking:

I was also going to say the same thing about Schmidt. The best FB in the draft bar none. We can say goodbye to the failed Kirtman experiment. And also Weaver is a FA next year. So he either preforms or he's gone. Even if he does do well, he could go elsewhere anyways. This was a great pick.

Any guy described as a runaway beer truck is ok in my book :unsure:

Fock. Fockity fockity fock. We spend a 6th round pick on a long-snapper - and, at least according to the Sportsline site, a guy who can't play any other position on the field? Hey, while we're at it, let's use one of the 7th rounders on a new towel boy.

:sleep:

How many FGs were focked up last year due to LS problems? If this guy fixes the problem, then its a good pick. Its all good fellas. :unsure:

How many FGs were focked up last year due to LS problems? If this guy fixes the problem, then its a good pick. Its all good fellas. :dunno:

Day Two has gone better than Day One. Then again, it couldn't get much worse.

Two more picks to potentially screw up coming right up, but we all know 7th round guys are typically worthless.

#233, 7th round

RB Justin Forsett, California

Eh, whatever. Rated around #150 overall, #15 at RB. Worth a look I guess. He is short at 5'8", and ran behind an excellent offensive line, so it's hard to tell if he will be anything other than a special teams player.

#235, 7th round

K Brandon Coutu, Georgia

The last two years, he has battled hamstring problems. Personally, I don't believe in wasting picks on punters or kicker, much less hurt ones.

So with our last three picks, we grabbed a long snapper, a special teams player, and a hurt kicker. Yeah, it's not like the War Room stopped trying or something.

This just pisses me off some much. I need to gather my thoughts before I blast this load of crap we drafted this year.

With regards to Tyler Schmitt

He said he had been on the line with New Orleans coach Sean Payton when the Seahawks called and told him they were going to take him.

I don't think Sean Payton just called for some yak yak, flim flam. Therefore if you are interested in a player you take him. If you wait because the experts say he can be had as a FA or in the 7th round, you might lose him.

Now is this the sexiest pick? Hell no! But if he solves the LS problem (Schmitt claims to never have had an errant snap--we'll see) then the team is improved. If not, off with Ruskell's head! :dunno:

With regards to Tyler Schmitt

He said he had been on the line with New Orleans coach Sean Payton when the Seahawks called and told him they were going to take him.

I don't think Sean Payton just called for some yak yak, flim flam. Therefore if you are interested in a player you take him. If you wait because the experts say he can be had as a FA or in the 7th round, you might lose him.

Now is this the sexiest pick? Hell no! But if he solves the LS problem (Schmitt claims to never have had an errant snap--we'll see) then the team is improved. If not, off with Ruskell's head! :thumbsup:

The later picks don't bother me that much. A 6th round pick isn't going to make me lose sleep. It's a crap shoot anyway this late. It's the first day picks that drive me nuts, when I feel we could have gotten potentially more talent. Potentially.

It's not like our window is going to be open much longer. We need to win right now. I feel the sense of urgency, and I'm not that sure that the front office sees it the same. It's as if they are resigned to rebuild next year with Holmgren stepping down. And that worries me. Some key parts are aging quickly, and will be hard to replace. Shaun Alexander was just the first wheel to go flat.

The later picks don't bother me that much. A 6th round pick isn't going to make me lose sleep. It's a crap shoot anyway this late. It's the first day picks that drive me nuts, when I feel we could have gotten potentially more talent. Potentially.

It's not like our window is going to be open much longer. We need to win right now. I feel the sense of urgency, and I'm not that sure that the front office sees it the same. It's as if they are resigned to rebuild next year with Holmgren stepping down. And that worries me. Some key parts are aging quickly, and will be hard to replace. Shaun Alexander was just the first wheel to go flat.

I have been doing some reading up on both Carlson and Jackson. I've generally liked what I read. What stands out to me is the constant reference that these two guys are "starter ready."

Although we can debate the merits of losing the 3rd rounder to grab Carlson (I have read that the Saints would have taken him since the Shockey deal fell through. Is this true? Who knows?), but given that Carlson is starter ready, I think it is possible in this offfense with this QB, that he could catch 40-45 passes for 450-500 yards and maybe 3-4 TDs. If he does that, then I think the move up was worth it.

The best part about getting Jackson is what he will do for Darryl Tapp. Apparently the Hawks will use Lo-Jack like he was used at USC--a three down player that shifts to DT on passing downs. Since he can play 3 downs, that will allow Tapp to remain fresher duirng games and do what he does best at full speed--rush the QB!

Obviously time will tell whether the Hawks made the right choices. I think most of you fellow Seahawk fans follow the college game more than I do nowadays and you all did a heck of a lot more research on these players than me, but because I am not so deeply connected, I think I enjoy the draft more these days because I don't really have players that I target for the Hawks, except maybe on a surface level. Therefore, I understand the frustration at some of the picks. I'll just wait to see how they look in camp and then during the season and hope for the best. :music_guitarred:

How many FGs were focked up last year due to LS problems? If this guy fixes the problem, then its a good pick. Its all good fellas. :dunno:

Not to mention all the uncharacteristic misses by Brown. LS was a black hole for us last season and I'm glad we addressed it. If either one of our kickers can kick we'll be back in the saddle on special teams.

LOVE the Red Bryant pick. I was reading some of his scouting reports and I'm baffled how he fell to the 4th round. Huge guy, strong as hell, good guy, smart...what gives? The only thing I can think of is that he has dyslexia, but it was noted it has never hindered him any and he got good grades in school. I'm stoked with this selection, and consider it our pick of the draft.

My initial grade for this draft would have to be a C+, teetering on a B-. Nothing flashy but all in all a lot of intelligent, high character, hard working guys that fit a lot of needs. The D-linemen should solidify our defense and give us some needed size.

The only thing that REALLY bothers me is not getting a better RB prospect, but I guess there is always next year. A WR would have been nice too, so it's now on the young guys to step up and fill in. With Frye having more experience in our offense we should be able to use Seneca more at receiver.

A WR would have been nice too, so it's now on the young guys to step up and fill in. With Frye having more experience in our offense we should be able to use Seneca more at receiver.

Because the Hawks have so much confidence in the young guys (Payne, Obomanu, and Taylor) they basically were not going in that direction. I have liked what I seen from Obomanu, but apparently it is Courtney Taylor that is the apple of the organization's eye. We'll see.

I have been doing some reading up on both Carlson and Jackson. I've generally liked what I read. What stands out to me is the constant reference that these two guys are "starter ready."

Although we can debate the merits of losing the 3rd rounder to grab Carlson (I have read that the Saints would have taken him since the Shockey deal fell through. Is this true? Who knows?), but given that Carlson is starter ready, I think it is possible in this offfense with this QB, that he could catch 40-45 passes for 450-500 yards and maybe 3-4 TDs. If he does that, then I think the move up was worth it.

The best part about getting Jackson is what he will do for Darryl Tapp. Apparently the Hawks will use Lo-Jack like he was used at USC--a three down player that shifts to DT on passing downs. Since he can play 3 downs, that will allow Tapp to remain fresher duirng games and do what he does best at full speed--rush the QB!

The way I see it...

They are not starter ready. To begin with Carlson has bad hands. He will catch 45 balls only if you throw him the ball 450 times. He is blocking TE. Also, rookie TE extremely rarely have an impact the first year. The blocking scheme is complicated, and they have to learn pass routes to run. Carlson will not be an impact player this year, next year, but in two years might catch 20 passes or so.

Lawrence Jackson is not NFL ready, as he frequently gets over matched at the line of scrimmage. If USC was moving this stiff to DT on passing downs, it was because they needed some one the end that might actually get to the QB.

The overall grade for this draft is a "D". Two reaches with the first two picks, gave away the 3rd rounder, decent prospects in the 4th and 5th, and special teams prospects late.

A draft that could have really helped the team, squandered.

Great pick! I wanted the Pack to grab him as he is the best at the p[osition, I also wanted them to grab Bennett, who I felt was the best TE. They both play hard, block like crazy, and live the game! Great pick!

I was hoping the Eagles would have grabbed him with one of their 500 fourth round picks.

After all, who needs a decent FB in the WCO. We have Dan Klecko. :pointstosky:

Schmitt will be a pro bowl player in about 3 years. No doubt.

I've been reading up on the first Schmitt we drafted, the fullback and he seems like a really cool guy. Had a tough childhood, lived in a car with his mom for a while. He's an ugly mofo with a hairlip (it could just be a scar) and a mohawk. Sounds like he's tough as nails and can run the ball pretty well too. A lot of people, experts and fans alike, really like him.

Hopefully he makes more of a lasting impression then the last guy we drafted with a mohawk.

The way I see it...

They are not starter ready. To begin with Carlson has bad hands. He will catch 45 balls only if you throw him the ball 450 times. He is blocking TE. Also, rookie TE extremely rarely have an impact the first year. The blocking scheme is complicated, and they have to learn pass routes to run. Carlson will not be an impact player this year, next year, but in two years might catch 20 passes or so.

Lawrence Jackson is not NFL ready, as he frequently gets over matched at the line of scrimmage. If USC was moving this stiff to DT on passing downs, it was because they needed some one the end that might actually get to the QB.

The overall grade for this draft is a "D". Two reaches with the first two picks, gave away the 3rd rounder, decent prospects in the 4th and 5th, and special teams prospects late.

A draft that could have really helped the team, squandered.

:pointstosky: I hope the sun comes up tomorrow

Two reaches with the first two picks, gave away the 3rd rounder, decent prospects in the 4th and 5th, and special teams prospects late.

A couple questions for you:

1-How is it a reach when the first two guys were basically taken where they should have been? (noit according to me but by almost everyone I read analysis from)

2- If these guys are indeed bust picks, who would you have taken instead? (based on the way the draft played out--picking from 28 and then moving up in rd 2)

Owen Schmitt > Jacob Hester

I'm disappointed that my team's GM didn't watch as many LSU games as I have the past couple of years. Just make sure the cage enclosure you plan on keeping Schmitt in between games is locked tightly.

Pure comedy in the NW today....people calling into radio stations calling for TR's head ..... another crappy draft full of reaches and average players. Fla-ignoramus-Hawker should call in and set these people right :pointstosky:

Pure comedy in the NW today....people calling into radio stations calling for TR's head ..... another crappy draft full of reaches and average players. Fla-ignoramus-Hawker should call in and set these people right :pointstosky:

to be fair, people were also apoplectic when TR drafted Tatupu in the 2nd round (and traded up to get him!), as conventional wisdom was that the guy was a 4th rounder. He has also done well with other day 1 picks like Mebane (3rd), Tapp (2nd), and Leroy Hill (3rd). All of those guys are solid. Sure, not every so-called "reach" pick has turned out - David Greene, anyone? - , but the resume isn't terrible here. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on Lo-Jack, as well as Carlson. For now.

Dear Mr Ruskell:

We were better off with Keller in the 1st round. Oh, gee, the Jets just took him. I am sharpening my pizza cutter. See you in another life, brother.

There goes Keller. :pointstosky:

Are you guys focking kidding me? Keller is a one dimensional player that cannot block. We already have someone like that in Putzier. Keller at that spot would have been downright idiotic.

You guys are focking rediculous. I bet you were extremely pissed when Tatupu was taken as well. Jackson is a great player that played for a great program and started 51 of 52 games he played. On a team like USC which has countless 5 star recruits, thats pretty damn good. He also had 51 sacks in 3 years, he is a stud and you guys (phillybear mostly) are complaining like little girls.

Carlson was the most complete TE in the draft, a guy who can catch and block very well. He had a great year his Junior year when he actually had a QB, but his production fell off when ND had to start a horrible freshman QB and defenses could key in on Carlson week in and week out. He is much better value than Keller would have been in the 1st.

Day 2 of the draft was great. Red Bryant looks to be a potential stud. Owen Schmitt, nuff said.

And you guys are complaining about drafting the best long snapper? Did you guys watch the Seahawks at all last year??? If you did, you would know what having a poor longsnapper does to a team. We probably lost the NO game because of it and Josh Brown and Plackemeier both lost confidence as the season went on because of the erratic snaps. We even had to convince a 37 year old out of retirement last year to snap in the postseason. Schmitt has never had a bad snap in his college career and a guy that we could draft in the 6th round that could be our guy for the next 10+ years is a great pick.

My head coach in High School played in college with Jeff Robinson. My senior year, back when he was with the Rams and played DE, he came to one of our practices and not only gave a couple good speeches, but even worked with all the defensive lineman during individual drills. Real cool guy! :thumbsup:

You guys are focking rediculous. I bet you were extremely pissed when Tatupu was taken as well. Jackson is a great player that played for a great program and started 51 of 52 games he played. On a team like USC which has countless 5 star recruits, thats pretty damn good. He also had 51 sacks in 3 years, he is a stud and you guys (phillybear mostly) are complaining like little girls.

Carlson was the most complete TE in the draft, a guy who can catch and block very well. He had a great year his Junior year when he actually had a QB, but his production fell off when ND had to start a horrible freshman QB and defenses could key in on Carlson week in and week out. He is much better value than Keller would have been in the 1st.

Day 2 of the draft was great. Red Bryant looks to be a potential stud. Owen Schmitt, nuff said.

And you guys are complaining about drafting the best long snapper? Did you guys watch the Seahawks at all last year??? If you did, you would know what having a poor longsnapper does to a team. We probably lost the NO game because of it and Josh Brown and Plackemeier both lost confidence as the season went on because of the erratic snaps. We even had to convince a 37 year old out of retirement last year to snap in the postseason. Schmitt has never had a bad snap in his college career and a guy that we could draft in the 6th round that could be our guy for the next 10+ years is a great pick.

Yes, I was pissed off when Tatupu was taken. And that is the only time I will admit I was mistaken. Lawrence Jackson might turn out to be OK, as he does have late 2nd round talent after all. Let's not ignore the possibility that this guy overperformed this draft slot because of all the talent on USC, and offenses didn't have to worry about him in game planning. Jackson may be a product of the system.

I can't recall another time when I completely buried Ruskell on a guy that turned out to be fine, other than Tatupu. I gave him credit when he took guys like Hill. I buried him for David Greene. I think I've been fairly perceptive.

Carlson might have the worst hands of any TE in the draft. Why would you trade up in the 2nd round to draft a slow, stone handed, unable-to-get-open, did I mention sloooooooowwwwww TE? Couldn't we just get Pollard to come back. To compare this stiff to Keller is ridiculous. Then again, I would have a problem taking Keller where they took Carlson. Let's face it, I would not have taken Carlson until the 3rd round at earliest. He was the 5th or 6th rated TE on my board, and I can guarantee you that Seattle reached for this guy. Hey, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe the guy WILL catch a total of 20 passes over the next 3 years. Plan A of drafting a TE is a flop. I wonder what Plan B is. As you can tell, I HATED this pick, and hate it more and more with every hour that goes by. I don't care if we missed out on the top tier TEs if we sit back and take somebody else in the 2nd round. We could have gotten a guy with Carlson's talent in the 5th. No offense to the kid.

I'm not pissed off with the 2nd day, as I realize Seattle felt they needed to get special teams players they could have acquired in FA after the draft instead drafting prospects. I have major issues with the first day.

to be fair, people were also apoplectic when TR drafted Tatupu in the 2nd round (and traded up to get him!),

I guess ol'sourboy34 Mr Northwest himself doesnt remember that :music_guitarred:

Carlson might have the worst hands of any TE in the draft. Why would you trade up in the 2nd round to draft a slow, stone handed, unable-to-get-open, did I mention sloooooooowwwwww TE? Couldn't we just get Pollard to come back. To compare this stiff to Keller is ridiculous.

Please tell me what it is that you are basing this on? Stone hands? You dont know sh!t guy. The only reason Keller shot so high up draft doards is because of his combine. Ruskell and co. look for more than that, hey look at productivity and game tape. The film doesnt lie. But I'm sure you know more than Ruskell. After all you are the one paid to make decisions for an NFL team. Oh wait...

Mel Kiper graded Seattle's draft a solid B.

Considering the amount of disrespect Seattle gets from all east coast media, including Kiper from past years, Seattle must have had a hell of a draft to get a B grade.

Please tell me what it is that you are basing this on? Stone hands? You dont know sh!t guy. The only reason Keller shot so high up draft doards is because of his combine. Ruskell and co. look for more than that, hey look at productivity and game tape. The film doesnt lie. But I'm sure you know more than Ruskell. After all you are the one paid to make decisions for an NFL team. Oh wait...

Keller shot up because he has great hands. Carlson sucks based on all my film work. Obviously, Ruskell panicked and reached for a player.

Please. I've been running circles around Ruskell with my draft day knowledge for years. Ruskell can lick my hairy bean bag. He is a loser. All I do is pick Pro Bowlers.

Mel Kiper graded Seattle's draft a solid B.

Considering the amount of disrespect Seattle gets from all east coast media, including Kiper from past years, Seattle must have had a hell of a draft to get a B grade.

Kiper is a moron. I give him a "D" for his draft day opinions.

I give seattle a C on day 1, and a A on day 2.

Total grade averaging out to a B.

Day 1 would have been given a higher grade. Most likely a solid B had we not traded the 3rd rounder. The day 1 grade for me, reflects more on the move, than it does the 2 players involved.

And of course, what more can be said about sunday.

We got the best FB and long snapper in the draft.

I believe the second best kicker in the draft.

Bryant is a flat out beast. I read Seattle wanted him in round 3. Then thought he was lost after the trade. They couldn't believe he fell in there lap in round 4.

I'll just have to wait and see how Forsett pans out.

Just my .02 though.

I also want to add. As an after draft addition. Seattle added FS Jamar Adams out of Michigan. I think this is a huge steal, and really can't believe noone took a chance and drafted him late. This kid is quality and someone I will be rooting for all camp to make the roster as an undrafted player.

Carlson sucks based on all my film work. Obviously, Ruskell panicked and reached for a player.

So your film analysis leads to the opinion that Carlson sucks. Holmgren and Ruskell's film analysis leads them to rank Carlson as the # 1 TE on the Seahawk board and a guy they felt comfortable trading up to get :overhead:

I don't analyze college players on film. I'll watch the players the Hawks drafted during camps and then in the regular season and their play will ultimately determine whether or not they were worth drafting. Time will tell who is right.

I give seattle a C on day 1, and a A on day 2.

Total grade averaging out to a B.

Day 1 would have been given a higher grade. Most likely a solid B had we not traded the 3rd rounder. The day 1 grade for me, reflects more on the move, than it does the 2 players involved.

And of course, what more can be said about sunday.

We got the best FB and long snapper in the draft.

I believe the second best kicker in the draft.

Bryant is a flat out beast. I read Seattle wanted him in round 3. Then thought he was lost after the trade. They couldn't believe he fell in there lap in round 4.

I'll just have to wait and see how Forsett pans out.

Just my .02 though.

I was just listening to the Mike Holmgren, Tim Ruskell presser on Seahawks.com and Ruskell said that Forsett was too good a player to pass up in RD 7 and that his path to making the team will probably come via his return game skills.

I was just listening to the Mike Holmgren, Tim Ruskell presser on Seahawks.com and Ruskell said that Forsett was too good a player to pass up in RD 7 and that his path to making the team will probably come via his return game skills.

That's more or less what I was thinking. The best player available at that point. Seattle always seems to have that scobey or pearman type RB. More for special teams than anything else. And he'll be our new one.

They will probably need Burelson to just play at WR this year too.

If Forsett does well, he could be a valuable special teamer/3rd down recieving type back, and even make Morris expendible.

I'm wondering if I can possibly sound any more pompous about the draft? I don't think so, but I can certainly try.

:unsure: Saints took the best kicker in the draft boys.

I guess we're off to #2.

I'm not a Hawks fan, but Coutu was the best kicker in the draft. Hawks got a huge steal with him.