Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

why are people down on these 2 RBs

Every year there are guys that slip. mainly cuz robots out there who make fantasy rankings simply take the stats and fantasy leaders from last year and paste them onto this years rankings. but we always see that its the middle round guys that fall too far that make the best teams.

fast willie parker- how can people be down on this guy!!! ok...he had abysmal td numbers but thats decieving. tds can come and go like the wind. maybe a snub at the goal line, a penalty, big ben tossing too many tds. but if lets say just 5 more tds go his way and he ends with 7, were all calling him a second or late first round back at worst. the guy was basically leading the league in rushing all year and played great! he had 16 2 years ago, 2 last year, cmon he will get around 8-10. mendenhall? they got him cuz he was too good to pass up. at best he will keep willie fresh, not split all the carries. parker is young, talented and had a great year besides bad td opportunities. hes a 2nd rounder at worst and better than the likes of larry johnson and frank gore.

thomas jones- same as parker only he has a worse team around him. quick...where did jones finish among rushing yardage leaders? 20th? 19th? no, 10th! he ran good and now the jets added 2 great o-lineman! again, if he luckily gets just 3 or 4 more tds last year, were all calling him a great pick and 2nd rnd guy. ill gladly take him. and hes a better pick than edge, and just as good as jamal lewis or one pick below

Every year there are guys that slip. mainly cuz robots out there who make fantasy rankings simply take the stats and fantasy leaders from last year and paste them onto this years rankings. but we always see that its the middle round guys that fall too far that make the best teams.

fast willie parker- how can people be down on this guy!!! ok...he had abysmal td numbers but thats decieving. tds can come and go like the wind. maybe a snub at the goal line, a penalty, big ben tossing too many tds. but if lets say just 5 more tds go his way and he ends with 7, were all calling him a second or late first round back at worst. the guy was basically leading the league in rushing all year and played great! he had 16 2 years ago, 2 last year, cmon he will get around 8-10. mendenhall? they got him cuz he was too good to pass up. at best he will keep willie fresh, not split all the carries. parker is young, talented and had a great year besides bad td opportunities. hes a 2nd rounder at worst and better than the likes of larry johnson and frank gore.

thomas jones- same as parker only he has a worse team around him. quick...where did jones finish among rushing yardage leaders? 20th? 19th? no, 10th! he ran good and now the jets added 2 great o-lineman! again, if he luckily gets just 3 or 4 more tds last year, were all calling him a great pick and 2nd rnd guy. ill gladly take him. and hes a better pick than edge, and just as good as jamal lewis or one pick below

Have at it. I prefer my RBs to actually score TDs. :thumbsdown:

Have at it. I prefer my RBs to actually score TDs. :thumbsdown:

FWP is coming off a big injury, plus since the draft he is only the second best Rb on the Steelers roster.

I hear ya but only a lil bit.

FWP had very good yardage totals last year but he's coming off a broken foot (not that much of a concern but still), lost a Pro Bowl G in Faneca, AND his team drafted a RB in the first round who many feel was the best all around RB in the draft. Mendenhall is a likely candidate to steal a good number of touches and even more goaline carries.

Jones was a dissapointment for me last year but Im still somewhat high on him again this year. Adding Faneca and Richardson and defensive help on paper makes the Jets situation look pretty good but the QB there will still be noodle arm Pennington or Kellen Clemens.

I have them ranked back to back as mid level RB2s, and middle 3rd round picks. Dont know what you mean by slipped in rankings. I have seen Parker as a 3rd rounder where I have him and maybe Jones as a 4th or 5th rounder. Jones early ADP looks like a good value right now but I suspect that by August both will be viewed as mid to late 3rd to early 4th round picks.

About where they should go if you ask me.

FWP is coming off a big injury, plus since the draft he is only the second best Rb on the Steelers roster.

FWP broke one of the fastest healing bones in the body, it was hardly a major injury. Also if you think First round running backs cant sit the first couple years, look at Brandon Jackson, Cedric Benson, or Larry Johnson to name a couple.

And i am really high on the jets system, i just skip thomas jones and go straight to leon washington/musa smith.

FWP broke one of the fastest healing bones in the body, it was hardly a major injury. Also if you think First round running backs cant sit the first couple years, look at Brandon Jackson, Cedric Benson, or Larry Johnson to name a couple.

And i am really high on the jets system, i just skip thomas jones and go straight to leon washington/musa smith.

actuallt b jax was 2nd round but i know what your sayin. this is a good point tho. yes mendenhall might be the better back (arguably) but teams dont always play the better guy. parker had 16 tds 2 yrs ago and has done a lot for the steelers run game. he will get as many touches a s he did last year. mendy is a rookie on a team w out running woes. they will wait. sur eill handcuff him maybe if i get him but im not worried. im seeing both these guys go in round 5 sometimes! steals in my opinion

Thomas Jones? Really? I'd say he's OVERRATED, almost every year since his first big year in Chicago.

And I agree that Willie Parker is the 2nd best RB on the Steelers; his injury is a concern, and he doesn't score many TDs.

Parker's injury means nothing. What hampers Willie is that he's not a between the tackles runner. He'd actually be better as a 3rd down/situation back, except he's not a good pass catcher, which doesn't make him very useful. He's not good in short yardage, not good around the goal line and isn't an instinctive pass catcher. IMO, as a homer, Mendenhall has the ability to be superior to FWP in all phases of the game and I honestly think if he sits, it's just biding time until he's ready. He's nearly as a fast as Parker, much more powerful, and has better vision, he just needs time to adjust to the pro game.

Jones is a different story, and I actually expect him to surprise as a #2RB this year who may be had at #3RB price. Starting two rookies on the line is bad for anybody, but with a year under their belt, and Faneca in between them to stabilize the line, I think Mangold and Ferguson begin to jell and form what will be a good core for a long time. Jones value will depend on QB play, and that's a different story.

its interesting you mention these 2 guys, especially since they are linked to 1 main FA signing---alan faneca. one thing to look at the past 3-4 seasons is how a top-end guard affects an offense with his arrival and his departure.

a few seasons ago, larry allen was still dominating on the dallas o-line. he signed a deal with san fran, and lined up next to newly signed tackle jonas jennings, and they bulldozed the left side, paving the way for gore to rack up ~1800yds. the cowboys didnt really lose a whole lot, but the niners gained bigtime.

alexander and the seahawks used stud guard steve hutchinson next to ultra-tackle walter jones to demolish defenses, racking up multi-20TD season for the tailback, and paving his way to a record 28TDs and MVP. he jets for minnesota, who had a below average run game that transformed into a top10 one; meanwhile, holes disappeared for alexander and he has crashed faster than enron stock circa 2001.

last yr, a quietly made free agent acquisition was guard eric steinbach from the bengals. he has formed a great tandem on the left side with levi jones, allowing rudi johnson to post 3 straight 1200/12 years. he jets to cleveland, helps young stud joe thomas solidify a decade long problem, and their offensive weapons get time to explode. meanwhile, back in cincy, run game suffers, and protection takes a hit, as palmer is rushed more often and throws more picks.

i think this faneca move will slightly improve the jets, as they still have a lack of better-end base talent in the backfield; however, his loss will be significant in pittsburgh, a team whose image and identity has been smashmouth football and the ability to control the trenches on both sides of the ball. their fading o-line immortality was already evident i the playoff game versus the jags, where roth was harassed and slammed all night up the middle and off the edge.

Thomas Jones? Really? I'd say he's OVERRATED, almost every year since his first big year in Chicago.

And I agree that Willie Parker is the 2nd best RB on the Steelers; his injury is a concern, and he doesn't score many TDs.

People dont like Thomas Jones but the fact is that in the last 4 years (his 3 w/ Chi and last year w/ the Jets) he has had at least 1300 total yards. He's only averaged 6 TDs a season over those 4 years but that includes only 2 last year.

The Jets have taken steps to address their poor run blocking last year and Jones should be healthier than he was going into last season. I think a season of 1400 to 1500 total yards with 6-8 TDs is well within reach for Jones this year and like it or not thats a mid level RB2 these days.

And I dont think the guys overrated at all. He's never been considered a first round pick and he's put up pretty solid numbers over the last 4 years. Yeah, he was a dissapointment last year but the Jets O really struggled to create running opportunities.

Parker's injury means nothing. What hampers Willie is that he's not a between the tackles runner. He'd actually be better as a 3rd down/situation back, except he's not a good pass catcher, which doesn't make him very useful. He's not good in short yardage, not good around the goal line and isn't an instinctive pass catcher. IMO, as a homer, Mendenhall has the ability to be superior to FWP in all phases of the game and I honestly think if he sits, it's just biding time until he's ready. He's nearly as a fast as Parker, much more powerful, and has better vision, he just needs time to adjust to the pro game.

Jones is a different story, and I actually expect him to surprise as a #2RB this year who may be had at #3RB price. Starting two rookies on the line is bad for anybody, but with a year under their belt, and Faneca in between them to stabilize the line, I think Mangold and Ferguson begin to jell and form what will be a good core for a long time. Jones value will depend on QB play, and that's a different story.

I see what your saying but this seems pretty disrespectful to suggest about a guy on your favorite team who came in as an undrafted rookie and ONLY ran for

over 4,000 yards the last 3 years. And he seemed to do okay at some of those things you say he's not good at in 2006 when he had 16 TDS and over 1700 total yards. Just sayin.

Yeah, Mendenhall could turn out to be a better RB for Pittsburgh long term but I think this kind of dismissiveness of Parker is uncalled for.

Truth is that while it may be a good pick for the Steelers it was a bad pick for FF. Had Mendenhall gone to another team with a less proven RB on the roster both he and Parker would be more attractive picks in drafts this year.

its interesting you mention these 2 guys, especially since they are linked to 1 main FA signing---alan faneca. one thing to look at the past 3-4 seasons is how a top-end guard affects an offense with his arrival and his departure.

a few seasons ago, larry allen was still dominating on the dallas o-line. he signed a deal with san fran, and lined up next to newly signed tackle jonas jennings, and they bulldozed the left side, paving the way for gore to rack up ~1800yds. the cowboys didnt really lose a whole lot, but the niners gained bigtime.

alexander and the seahawks used stud guard steve hutchinson next to ultra-tackle walter jones to demolish defenses, racking up multi-20TD season for the tailback, and paving his way to a record 28TDs and MVP. he jets for minnesota, who had a below average run game that transformed into a top10 one; meanwhile, holes disappeared for alexander and he has crashed faster than enron stock circa 2001.

last yr, a quietly made free agent acquisition was guard eric steinbach from the bengals. he has formed a great tandem on the left side with levi jones, allowing rudi johnson to post 3 straight 1200/12 years. he jets to cleveland, helps young stud joe thomas solidify a decade long problem, and their offensive weapons get time to explode. meanwhile, back in cincy, run game suffers, and protection takes a hit, as palmer is rushed more often and throws more picks.

i think this faneca move will slightly improve the jets, as they still have a lack of better-end base talent in the backfield; however, his loss will be significant in pittsburgh, a team whose image and identity has been smashmouth football and the ability to control the trenches on both sides of the ball. their fading o-line immortality was already evident i the playoff game versus the jags, where roth was harassed and slammed all night up the middle and off the edge.

Hmm . . . .

Did you read this article?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=5...mp;confirm=true

yeah, thats the long of it! [prob easier to paste link. i agree with the gist] <_<

thanks. i knew it sounded familiar when i was typing it! [stupid zombie schedule and lack of sleep :doh: ] :blink:

Kinda hard to run between the tackles when the line leaks like a siv, don't you think?

Pitt's gonna struggle this year because of their line play (and lack thereof).

He lead the league in rushing but he's better suited to being a 3rd down back? Maybe Westbrook would be better as just a 3rd down back too. :headbanger:

Kinda hard to run between the tackles when the line leaks like a siv, don't you think?

Pitt's gonna struggle this year because of their line play (and lack thereof).

They really didn't have much of a choice, there was such a huge run on o-lineman in the draft that they let value fall to them and took the best available player(s). Run blocking actually wasn't their problem last year, it was pass protection. I think their line play will actually improve a little bit over last year, particularly since they had some injuries. As I said in another thread, I'd like to Hartwig (Carolina) push past Mahan for the center spot. Mahan is in my mind nothing more than depth and should have been there in the 1st place. I don't by any means think they'll return to a dominating ling but I actually do think they'll play a bit better this year. And you can't discount the weapons they have in place now. The have arguably one of the better WR/TE cores in the league and an absolutely loaded backfield. That schedule is murder, but it's murder for the rest of their division as well. 9-7 could win the division this year but still be a very good team.

People are down on FWP because the kid they drafted in the 1st is really good and will prob end up splitting carries by seasons end.

He lead the league in rushing but he's better suited to being a 3rd down back? Maybe Westbrook would be better as just a 3rd down back too. :wave:

He lead the league in rushes too up to that point, which could have something to do with why he broke down. And I'm sorry, leading the league in rushing at 1300 or so yrds doesn't impress me all that much, especially when you have 2 TD's on the year. It's also a testament to the fact that the line isn't as bad as everybody thought. Again, they were worse in pass protection than in run blocking.

They really didn't have much of a choice, there was such a huge run on o-lineman in the draft that they let value fall to them and took the best available player(s). Run blocking actually wasn't their problem last year, it was pass protection. I think their line play will actually improve a little bit over last year, particularly since they had some injuries. As I said in another thread, I'd like to Hartwig (Carolina) push past Mahan for the center spot. Mahan is in my mind nothing more than depth and should have been there in the 1st place. I don't by any means think they'll return to a dominating ling but I actually do think they'll play a bit better this year. And you can't discount the weapons they have in place now. The have arguably one of the better WR/TE cores in the league and an absolutely loaded backfield. That schedule is murder, but it's murder for the rest of their division as well. 9-7 could win the division this year but still be a very good team.

From a fundamental perspective, they tied an awful lot of money up on the defensive side of the ball. Some of their better o-linemen went elsewhere because there wasn't a whole lot of available cash laying around. They relied on their depth to cushion the fall for a few years.

With that said, I think it all hit the fan last year. It is possible that they could be better this season, and if they are, I wouldn't expect them to be considerably better, but just marginally better. I don't think marginally better's gonna get that done.

Completely understand they have some pretty good weapons on offense, but it makes no difference if the RB can't find a hole that's not there and for a QB to hit an open receiver if he's running for his life.

At best they go 8-8. It will take them a few years to re-fortify the offensive line (not to mention the defensive line that's getting older).

From a fundamental perspective, they tied an awful lot of money up on the defensive side of the ball. Some of their better o-linemen went elsewhere because there wasn't a whole lot of available cash laying around. They relied on their depth to cushion the fall for a few years.

With that said, I think it all hit the fan last year. It is possible that they could be better this season, and if they are, I wouldn't expect them to be considerably better, but just marginally better. I don't think marginally better's gonna get that done.

Completely understand they have some pretty good weapons on offense, but it makes no difference if the RB can't find a hole that's not there and for a QB to hit an open receiver if he's running for his life.

At best they go 8-8. It will take them a few years to re-fortify the offensive line (not to mention the defensive line that's getting older).

They are still the best team in the North. 10-6 this year.

He lead the league in rushes too up to that point, which could have something to do with why he broke down. And I'm sorry, leading the league in rushing at 1300 or so yrds doesn't impress me all that much, especially when you have 2 TD's on the year. It's also a testament to the fact that the line isn't as bad as everybody thought. Again, they were worse in pass protection than in run blocking.

If he wore down why did he average 7.1 and 5.9 YPC in his last 2 games(against Jacksonville and New england, 2 teams that arent slouches on defense).

He suffered a freak injury. He didnt wear down. FWP is going to be the man. Mendenhall is going to be brought along like Larry Johnson was brought along imo. FWP has 1-2 years left still. I really dont get all this FWP hate, his only injury so far is a broken bone, really not an injury that is associated with wearing down.

I would say i am blinded by homerism, but lots of the FWP haters are steelers fans. I love me an undrafted FA RB who can average 1500 total yards over a 3 year period.

If he wore down why did he average 7.1 and 5.9 YPC in his last 2 games(against Jacksonville and New england, 2 teams that arent slouches on defense).

He suffered a freak injury. He didnt wear down. FWP is going to be the man. Mendenhall is going to be brought along like Larry Johnson was brought along imo. FWP has 1-2 years left still. I really dont get all this FWP hate, his only injury so far is a broken bone, really not an injury that is associated with wearing down.

I would say i am blinded by homerism, but lots of the FWP haters are steelers fans. I love me an undrafted FA RB who can average 1500 total yards over a 3 year period.

You know me, I'm a homer too. It's not so much hate as it is non-belief. I've never seen him as a primary back, I've seen him as the benefactor of a run oriented team with a good line (which isn't what it used to be, but that's another discussion). He has improved and he definitely is one of the greatest bargains in recent memory. However, when I watch him I see a guy who had great straight speed but isn't instinctive with his moves. I don't see a lot lateral mobility, and he's a bit of a liability in the passing game. He's a decent blocker for his size, but you have to be as a Steeler skill position player. I've just never viewed him as top shelf RB and don't think I ever will. I don't disagree that Mendenhall will take an LJ role in the offense at first, but like LJ, I think his talent is undeniable and has to see the field. Chester Taylor averaged 5.4 last year behind that line Minny, but he ain't no Adrian Peterson. I see a similar situation in Pittsburgh.

I hear ya but only a lil bit.

FWP had very good yardage totals last year but he's coming off a broken foot (not that much of a concern but still), lost a Pro Bowl G in Faneca, AND his team drafted a RB in the first round who many feel was the best all around RB in the draft. Mendenhall is a likely candidate to steal a good number of touches and even more goaline carries.

Jones was a dissapointment for me last year but Im still somewhat high on him again this year. Adding Faneca and Richardson and defensive help on paper makes the Jets situation look pretty good but the QB there will still be noodle arm Pennington or Kellen Clemens.

:goodposting:

Again, the Steelers offensive line woes don't really show themselves in the run game, they're still a very good runblocking team, and that shouldn't fall off with Faneca gone, especially since they get some injuries out of the way and get another year of continuity. Hell, they were the #3 rushing team in the league last year. Rumors of their offensive line demise are a bit overstated. And they ranked in the top 10 in scoring. It's a potent team. Where they are weak is in pass protection, Ben took too many hits and sacks last year. Again, I look for a slight improvement in play from their offensive line this year. Next year it's obviously a must that they draft o-line and d-line, but they should be fine this year. Whoever wins the division will be lucky to do so with a 10-6 record and likely 9-7 may do it.

They are still the best team in the North. 10-6 this year.

We'll re-address this at the end of the season.

BTW, as much as I hate to say it, but the Browns will be on top of that division this year.

We'll re-address this at the end of the season.

BTW, as much as I hate to say it, but the Browns will be on top of that division this year.

Until the Browns prove they can beat the Steelers you have to get the Steelers the edge. Also I would take Ben and the Steeler D over Anderson and the Brown D 10 times out of 10.

You know me, I'm a homer too. It's not so much hate as it is non-belief. I've never seen him as a primary back, I've seen him as the benefactor of a run oriented team with a good line (which isn't what it used to be, but that's another discussion). He has improved and he definitely is one of the greatest bargains in recent memory. However, when I watch him I see a guy who had great straight speed but isn't instinctive with his moves. I don't see a lot lateral mobility, and he's a bit of a liability in the passing game. He's a decent blocker for his size, but you have to be as a Steeler skill position player. I've just never viewed him as top shelf RB and don't think I ever will. I don't disagree that Mendenhall will take an LJ role in the offense at first, but like LJ, I think his talent is undeniable and has to see the field. Chester Taylor averaged 5.4 last year behind that line Minny, but he ain't no Adrian Peterson. I see a similar situation in Pittsburgh.

I know your a steeler homer as well. I just see Parker as being the guy this season, and him having potential for another solid season(1500 total yards ish) I think his fantasy value will depend on how many times he gets in the endzone, which is dependent on playcalling. If they call on Parker to run 5 times in a row in midfield like they did quite a bit last year his TD total will stay low, but if they give him rest in the midfield i see Parker as a #1 fantasy back again. Even if he isnt a fantasy stud this upcoming year, it will be because of playcalling, so i will still respect Parker as being the #1 RB.

This isnt the only argument we had on the steelers, i still think nate washington is going to be better than limas sweed this year, and has potential to be better than sweed in the longhall(maybe a 40-60 shot of that happening). Although i am on the very short list of steelers fans that think that.

Until the Browns prove they can beat the Steelers you have to get the Steelers the edge. Also I would take Ben and the Steeler D over Anderson and the Brown D 10 times out of 10.

I think the Browns definitely helped themself this off-season. Steeler, not so much.

I think Pitt needs to worry more about themselves before worrying about the Browns. And when they're done doing that, they can worry about the Jaguars.

Jackson will retain his number 2 RB position for a long, long time.

I think the Browns definitely helped themself this off-season. Steeler, not so much.

I think Pitt needs to worry more about themselves before worrying about the Browns. And when they're done doing that, they can worry about the Jaguars.

They don't have to worry about the Jaguars until they play them. And I feel they added some players in the draft that should contribute immediately. Both Sweed and Mendenhall will add alot to this offense. And I feel their young LB's in Woodley, Timmons and Davis will all be significant contributors to the defense.

I don't really see how you can attribute his success to his O-line. When he went down, it's not like Davenport did anything as the starter. Like you comparison to Minny, if it really was a dominant O-line, you'd expect Parker's backups to have been very successful. And it's not like Parker's a one-year wonder either. As for the TD's, just look to his TD totals two years ago. He's fine as a goal-line back, but they wanted to reduce the contact he took at goal-line situations.

I agree Mendenhall is talented, but you don't just put a rookie into to replace a starter that's had this much success. It just wouldn't make any sense. I see Mendenhall getting touches equal to Davenport's last year. Unfortunately, that will still keep the TD totals low, but he'll still get allot of yardage.

That line will be worse this year.

I agree Mendenhall is talented, but you don't just put a rookie into to replace a starter that's had this much success. It just wouldn't make any sense. I see Mendenhall getting touches equal to Davenport's last year. Unfortunately, that will still keep the TD totals low, but he'll still get allot of yardage.

No, he will get more work than Davenport did. The coaches have already said they plan on using him alot next season.

All of this combined with the Steelers schedule this year, #1 in S.O.S overall makes me shy away from FWP. I agree with MTSkiBum, I think Leon Washington would put Thomas Jones numbers to shame if he had his shot. Jones is overrated.

Jones is overrated.

That's what the Bears thought too. Now look where they are.

He lead the league in rushes too up to that point, which could have something to do with why he broke down.

He broke his leg. I don't really see that as an injury caused by breaking down, more of a fluke injury.

I think people get locked into labeling backs and any "small" back gets classfied as a "3rd down/CoP" back without much thought or observation. Parker can run inside despite his size, epspecially when the blocking is there. He isn't a necessarily a bulldozing type back, but does run with some power and great balance.

There have been plenty of "small" backs that wwer wquite capable of ruinning between the tackles - and I'd put Parker on that list. He doesn't look to always break it outside or dace around the backfield like say Reggie Bush - he burts through the hole when its there.

Mendenhall's prescence certainly puts some risk into drafting Parker but he's a back I'll be keeping an eye on if he falls too far.

FWP - missed 2 games and still had over 1300 yards rushing last season. I actually think he could do better this year FF wise as he will be better rested and I think they are less likely actually to take him out in short yardage. He was pulled last year becasue he was all they really had at RB and wanted to keep him fresh as they could. With Mendy they aren't as worried about him going down anymore. Granetd I think Mendy gets a good chunk of the shorties but I think they give more looks to FWP there than last season. Not really sure how Pittsburgh has fallen out of lov3 with FWP though - 3 straight 1000 yard seasons and the one in the middle added 16 scores.

I expect a 290 - 1100 - 8 season from FWP

T. Jones - With the Oline better should be a lot better! I love him as a sleeper this seaosn actually.

He broke his leg. I don't really see that as an injury caused by breaking down, more of a fluke injury.

I think people get locked into labeling backs and any "small" back gets classfied as a "3rd down/CoP" back without much thought or observation. Parker can run inside despite his size, epspecially when the blocking is there. He isn't a necessarily a bulldozing type back, but does run with some power and great balance.

There have been plenty of "small" backs that wwer wquite capable of ruinning between the tackles - and I'd put Parker on that list. He doesn't look to always break it outside or dace around the backfield like say Reggie Bush - he burts through the hole when its there.

Mendenhall's prescence certainly puts some risk into drafting Parker but he's a back I'll be keeping an eye on if he falls too far.

I don't disagree, but there's no way I'm looking at him as my #1RB on my roster. And again, it's just my opinion, but I've just never seen Parker as a difference maker in a game. I see him as the benefactor of a team that's pretty committed to running the ball and is better at run blocking that most give credit for.