Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

GFIAFP *** OFFICIAL *** ROOKIE BUST PICK!

There's just too much hype on this kid, but the simple fact is, the team is not ready for him. It's not a match ... right now, and that sucks for Chris, because he obviously has a lot of athletic skill.

I know lot's of you will say "DUDE ... you don't know what the fock you are saying!" but keep in mind, Ricky Williams and Michael Vick are just some of my previous year's picks.

Let me see! He only has lenwhale to compete with him and the team is a run based team. The guy is a legit sleeper!

Let me see! He only has lenwhale to compete with him and the team is a run based team. The guy is a legit sleeper!

In an offense geared towards a RB like LenDale.

Johnson will break off a couple long TD's, but he has little value unless White gets hurt.

Johnson will break off a couple long TD's, but he has little value unless White gets hurt.

LenDale, is that you? I never knew a scrub RB had a fan on this site. <_<

:ninja:

Fisher likes the big, pounding RBs (insert quote manipulation here), ones that can carry the ball 20-25 times a game, and wear down the defenses. That's what LenWhale does.

Johnson is a change of pace, 3rd down (if he can pick up the blocking scheme), receiving weapon back. He'll get some long scores, and may have some value in a PPR league, but I don't see him as anything more than a bye week (or injury) fill in for teams that didn't secure a good backup RB or two in the middle rounds.

You know ... there are a lot of guys that are faster, and can jump higher than NFL players ... that aren't pro basketball players. Remember Michael Bennett? It doesn't always transfer to the NFL ... it often doesn't. Sometimes it takes awhile ... see: Tiki Barber ... but either way ... the kid has zero value this year, let someone else draft him.

:unsure:

Fisher likes the big, pounding RBs (insert quote manipulation here), ones that can carry the ball 20-25 times a game, and wear down the defenses. That's what LenWhale does.

Johnson is a change of pace, 3rd down (if he can pick up the blocking scheme), receiving weapon back. He'll get some long scores, and may have some value in a PPR league, but I don't see him as anything more than a bye week (or injury) fill in for teams that didn't secure a good backup RB or two in the middle rounds.

If you honestly believe any of these points, you just haven't been paying attention to any of what Fisher has been saying since the playoff loss last year. He wanted to add playmakers, and CJ is his playmaker. He's already stated that CJ will have a major role in this offense, and it won't be limited to 3rd down RB. OC Heimerdinger has said the same thing, multiple times. Did you see his blocking in the second preseason game? Or his inside runs? Or the way he knocked the helmet off the Oakland safety on his first run?

I might have considered your point if you said he wasn't ready for prime time, but the team isn't ready for him??? :( The Titans have one of the better offensive lines in the league. They aren't top five, but definitely top ten as a unit. Put a speedy back with a few ounces of patience and vision and they will have a lot of big rushing plays (over 5 yards) on a regular basis.

To me, the question is whether Johnson has that kind of patience and vision. I think he will and he's shown flashes of it in the preseason. I'm just not sure he'll show it this year when the lights really come on.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the Titan's burned a first round pick on a 3rd down back. Fisher loves Lendale. That's why they drafted competition for him in the second and first rounds the next two years in a row. :music_guitarred:

People see the 4.2 speed and immediately want to pigeonhole him in the "Jerious Norwood" mold at worst or the "Reggie Bush" mold at best. Fisher said when they drafted the kid that "He isn't a track star trying to play football, he's a football player with world class speed." All the reports coming out of camp say he is handling his blocking assignments very well (which is what keeps Norwood on the bench btw) which you can see for yourself if you could watch the preseason games. If you watch the preseason games more closely than just counting yards per carry, which is meaningless against second string defenses anyway, you will see that he has good balance, and better power than one would expect. He is not that small a running back. For a guy his size, he is not afraid to hit people in the mouth.

No, Fisher is not going to put Lendale on the bench and pound Johnson up the gut 25 times a game. That would be stupid, and not using his roster to its strengths. Lendale will do what he does, pound the rock up the middle for 4.0 yards a clip, and Johnson will do what he does, run outside, draws, screens, passes in the flat, from the slot, and the occasional run up the middle. I think you will see them on the field at the same time quite a bit, but Fischer isn't going to show that this early in the preseason.

I think, as a whole, the Titans backfield will create matchup problems for a defense when all three are in. You have to respect White's power run, and you have to watch the edges from runs by Vince or Johnson. And there is always the outside chance that Vince actually throws a semi acurate pass to a wideout or Crumpler.

He may not put it all together this year, but Chris Johnson has all the makings of a special player at some point in his career. I will definately target him late in my redrafts, and high in my keeper.

The Titans run the ball so much that there will be plenty of carries to go around. Taylor/MJD are both viable fantasy backs despite splitting the workload. White's carries will be reduced from last year to get some explosion on the offence, since Lenwhale can't seem to manage more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust. White will still lead in carries and TD's, but don't be shocked if Johnson finishes with more total yards.

...this may be the first GF thread thats turned out to be worthwhile. :music_guitarred:

...this may be the first GF thread thats turned out to be worthwhile. :rolleyes:

Yeah, if by "worthwhile" you mean displaying his usual ignorance. I love the MJD-Taylor comparison that Belushi threw out there, and Bush/McAllister also works. This is the way the NFL is headed. Johnson isn't supplanting Lendale, he's augmenting him. Fred Taylor is the primary back in Jacksonville but MJD gets all the love come draft time. I hope you guys continue to undervalue him, cause I think the next MJD is about to hit the field and people are still thinking that Lendale is more talented...:music_guitarred:

I love the MJD-Taylor comparison that Belushi threw out there, and Bush/McAllister also works. This is the way the NFL is headed. Johnson isn't supplanting Lendale, he's augmenting him. Fred Taylor is the primary back in Jacksonville but MJD gets all the love come draft time. I hope you guys continue to undervalue him, cause I think the next MJD is about to hit the field and people are still thinking that Lendale is more talented...:rolleyes:

:thumbsup: bingo.

Fisher is a USC alum. I'm sure he watched Bush/White work together back in the day. Now he has the Bush to go with his White.

I hope you guys continue to undervalue him

What planet do you live on? Chris Johnson has been getting more love in the FF community in the past two weeks than Wilt Chamberlin circa 1966.

What planet do you live on? Chris Johnson has been getting more love in the FF community in the past two weeks than Wilt Chamberlin circa 1966.

thats alot of love...considering Wilt averaged about 1.25 different women EVERY day of his life from the time he was 12 until he died. :thumbsup:

There has never been a documented case of Giant Fan ever being close to being remotely right about any fantasty football issue in the history of ever.

HTH. TIA. GDIAPOA.

Right now they're the opposite in regards to their draft positions with MJD/Taylor. IMO MJD is overvalued because people count on Fred to miss time, and he rarely does, so in my mind Taylor is the better value. Johnson/White are the opposite right now, with Lendale being over valued and Johnson undervalued. And in my my mind Taylor talent, even now, is VASTLY superior to Lendale. Hardly anybody hopped on the MDJ train early in his rookie season...nobody thought he'd crack the lineup with a healthy Fred Taylor ahead of him who still had gas in the tank and a TD vulture Greg Jones waiting. He's much less heralded than Bush. I think his impact may be as big as both in their rookie seasons. If you had the opportunity to draft MJD before anybody knew he was going to become the player he is, wouldn't you do it? I'll let the boneheads in my league grab Lendale as an RB2 in the 3rd/4th and I'll get Chris Johnson 3-4 rounds later and get #'s nearly as good. He's overhyped on this board, but not everybody reads this board and lots of normal FF players get magazines printed 2 months ago.

He may not put it all together this year, but Chris Johnson has all the makings of a special player at some point in his career. I will definately target him late in my redrafts, and high in my keeper.

possibly ... but he is 5'11" and 200lbs. the only FF worthy back in the league smaller is dunn. not impossible, just not very likely.

possibly ... but he is 5'11" and 200lbs. the only FF worthy back in the league smaller is dunn. not impossible, just not very likely.

FWIW...

Emmitt Smith

Height: 5-9 Weight: 216 Age: 39

Born: 5/15/1969 Pensacola , FL

College: Florida

Experience: 15 Seasons

Emmitt didn't come into the league at 216 either.

Maurice Jones-Drew | #32 | RB

Jacksonville Jaguars | Official Team Site

Height: 5-7 Weight: 208 Age: 23

Born: 3/23/1985 Oakland , CA

College: UCLA

Experience: 3rd season

High School: De La Salle HS [Concord, CA]

sometimes size matters...sometimes it don't...

Yeah, the Titan's burned a first round pick on a 3rd down back. Fisher loves Lendale. That's why they drafted competition for him in the second and first rounds the next two years in a row. :angry:

People see the 4.2 speed and immediately want to pigeonhole him in the "Jerious Norwood" mold at worst or the "Reggie Bush" mold at best. Fisher said when they drafted the kid that "He isn't a track star trying to play football, he's a football player with world class speed." All the reports coming out of camp say he is handling his blocking assignments very well (which is what keeps Norwood on the bench btw) which you can see for yourself if you could watch the preseason games. If you watch the preseason games more closely than just counting yards per carry, which is meaningless against second string defenses anyway, you will see that he has good balance, and better power than one would expect. He is not that small a running back. For a guy his size, he is not afraid to hit people in the mouth.

No, Fisher is not going to put Lendale on the bench and pound Johnson up the gut 25 times a game. That would be stupid, and not using his roster to its strengths. Lendale will do what he does, pound the rock up the middle for 4.0 yards a clip, and Johnson will do what he does, run outside, draws, screens, passes in the flat, from the slot, and the occasional run up the middle. I think you will see them on the field at the same time quite a bit, but Fischer isn't going to show that this early in the preseason.

I think, as a whole, the Titans backfield will create matchup problems for a defense when all three are in. You have to respect White's power run, and you have to watch the edges from runs by Vince or Johnson. And there is always the outside chance that Vince actually throws a semi acurate pass to a wideout or Crumpler.

This bad boy right here hit the nail on the head so many times he drove it right through the wood and out the other side ...

excellent post :mad:

He's overhyped on this board, but not everybody reads this board and lots of normal FF players get magazines printed 2 months ago.

Good point. Compare the number of members of this board to the number of FF players. Basically, if you have more than 100 posts or so on here, you are a top 1% fantasy uber-geek. I saw a national expert who did a piece today called "Top 10 Impact Rookies" that didn't have Johnson on it. In the mainstream football media, he's just starting to get noticed at all.

That's why I find it so funny when people get mad and shush people for talking about sleepers on the board, since A) that's what this board is for, and B ) its not like the people in your league likely read this site, unless you are in a league you found through this board.

Good point. Compare the number of members of this board to the number of FF players. Basically, if you have more than 100 posts or so on here, you are a top 1% fantasy uber-geek. I saw a national expert who did a piece today called "Top 10 Impact Rookies" that didn't have Johnson on it. In the mainstream football media, he's just starting to get noticed at all.

That's why I find it so funny when people get mad and shush people for talking about sleepers on the board, since A) that's what this board is for, and B ) its not like the people in your league likely read this site, unless you are in a league you found through this board.

Yeah, i'm hoping the hype stays low until this weekend when I get him as an RB4 or 5 and laugh the whole way home. :nono:

I got Chris Johnson as my #5 RB in round 9 of a 12 teamer....so he's not really a bust if he doesnt pan out.

Guys like McFadden, Forte and Smith are bust candidates, but I wouldn't consider him a bust because he can be had later than those other guys.

HTH

I got Chris Johnson as my #5 RB in round 9 of a 12 teamer....so he's not really a bust if he doesnt pan out.

Guys like McFadden, Forte and Smith are bust candidates, but I wouldn't consider him a bust because he can be had later than those other guys.

HTH

by the way...nice game E.

I got C.Johnson in the 14th & Kev. Smith in the 11th & Rice in the 18th

I took 4 "vets" (Barber/LJ/Turner/Young)

&

3 rooks (Johnson/Smith/Rice)

So if any of the 3 rooks pan out at all, I got great value....if not, no biggie, as I think my 4 vets should be plenty to lead the way. I want at least 1 rookie to go off so I can trade him off for upgrades in other areas.

I got C.Johnson in the 14th & Kev. Smith in the 11th & Rice in the 18th

I took 4 "vets" (Barber/LJ/Turner/Young)

&

3 rooks (Johnson/Smith/Rice)

So if any of the 3 rooks pan out at all, I got great value....if not, no biggie, as I think my 4 vets should be plenty to lead the way. I want at least 1 rookie to go off so I can trade him off for upgrades in other areas.

WHAT THE CHRIST.

I understand that was posted 8/19 so you guys drafted early, but damn, C.Johnson went in the 5th round, Kevin Smith the 2nd round, and Rice in the 8th round in our 10-team league.

Marion Barber is not a "vet". Neither is TURNER. WTF is going on here.

:music_guitarred: :D

Pin me Mike!

Week 10-16 the kid might be startable ... but don't draft him.

It's soo easy being the best ... it's sick.

Pin me Mike!

Week 10-16 the kid might be startable ... but don't draft him.

It's soo easy being the best ... it's sick.

He is the 7th leading rusher in the entire NFL, has over 100 more yards rushed then Lenwhale, is 14th in scoring in my league against all other RB (PPR), I would hardly say thats a bust. And thats with him splitting carries with lenwhale, just think if he had all the carries. :thumbsdown:

perfect comparison :thumbsdown:

For now, I would say the only comparison is there both back-ups, and I use that word back-up loosly with Johnson. Johnson at least has a chance to start down the road, Norwood has ZERO chance of starting. Atlanta didnt pay big bucks to Turner so he could split carries. The Titans didnt spend a first round pick on Johnson to sit behind Lenwhale.

For now, I would say the only comparison is there both back-ups, and I use that word back-up loosly with Johnson. Johnson at least has a chance to start down the road, Norwood has ZERO chance of starting. Atlanta didnt pay big bucks to Turner so he could split carries. The Titans didnt spend a first round pick on Johnson to sit behind Lenwhale.

So Felix Jones is going to start ahead of Marian Barber and Mendenhall is going to start consistantly ahead of Parker?

White has proven his worth this season. He and Chris Johnson are co-number 1 running backs.

Johnson has more yards but White gets the tough yards. Great situation for Tennessee.

Johnson has already started some this season.

But the Titans used the first round pick on him to bring another wrinkle to the offense and add a dimension to it. They needed a playmaker and they found one.

It was not just to "replace" White.

Guest BernardPollardFan
So Felix Jones is going to start ahead of Marian Barber and Mendenhall is going to start consistantly ahead of Parker?

White has proven his worth this season. He and Chris Johnson are co-number 1 running backs.

Johnson has more yards but White gets the tough yards. Great situation for Tennessee.

You're a dumbass. Lendale can't even sniff Marion Barber or Willie Parker. Chris Johnson was the opening day starter so this a moot discussion anyways.