Sign in to follow this  
Darko M

"That's why you don't take a QB in the first round."

Why does everyone that passed on Brady feel so Godly today, as if they knew he was going to get hurt? :bandana: If Adrian Peterson went down I wouldn't say "That's why I never touch 2nd year running backs in the 1st round." Or if Moss went down I wouldn't say, "That's why I never pick a WR who put up 20+ TDs last year in the 1st round." It's rediculous.

An injury to your first round pick is going to crush any team, no matter the position.

I don't think it's arguable that Brady, barring injury, was the safest pick of the draft (especially in leagues that reward 6-points per TD).

I love the offers I'm getting too; do people really think I'm dumb/desperate enough to trade away a couple offensive STARTERS for some no.2 QB? I'm sorry, but Garrard is not worth Witten.

I will pick up and start Cassell all year before I hand some team the championship by giving them studs for their 10th round quarterback.

his injury has nothing do with the taking him or not taking him. personally I don't take QB's in round 1 but clearly I don't do this because im sure they will be injured.

as far as being the safest pick in the draft? I don't think so. With history showing noteable dropoff in stats following monster TD years I wasn't particularly high on him this year anyway. I felt like Brees would throw the most this season.

but being a RB first guy I felt safest with LT or Westy personally.

Agreed, I was a SJax owner last year from the #2 overall pick... you can't predict injuries, regardless of what position you took.

I wouldn't have taken him, but you can't predict injuries..

Having your first round pick go down to injury in week one is gonna fok pretty much anybody.. Of course taking Brady in the first round prob left you with less position talent to begin with.. Hell, what are you gonna do? Sh!t happens..

Darko

When you draft you have to consider how an injury to any player will affect your season. If LT goes down, you probably picked up MJD or Turner or TJones or another RB2 to back him up. If you picked up Moss in the first, you also have Jennings, or Cotchery or maybe even Braylon. Even without the top guy, you probably can piece together a competive team thru the rest of the year.

Most people don't grab a 2nd qb until 8th or 9th rnd, meaning that the dropoff will be very very significant if you got Brady in the first. You don't see people taking late flyers on 2-3qbs hoping for an emerging stud like they do with rbs and wrs (FJones, IBruce, etc). Taking Delhomme and Ben, or Brees and Favre is a lot less risky, than Brady and whoever. Those late picks provide depth at wr/rb positions when injuries happen, which they do every year.

In my league the guy who took Brady is stuck with Bulger now. I offered him Shaub for Colston.

Sucks for him.

Guest ramrock11

Bulger sucks been saying it for years

Bring back Kurt

Agreed, I was a SJax owner last year from the #2 overall pick... you can't predict injuries, regardless of what position you took.

:mellow:

SJax and Marvin with my first two picks last year. Alexander in the first the year before. Priest in the first the year before that. :lol:

his injury has nothing do with the taking him or not taking him. personally I don't take QB's in round 1 but clearly I don't do this because im sure they will be injured.

as far as being the safest pick in the draft? I don't think so. With history showing noteable dropoff in stats following monster TD years I wasn't particularly high on him this year anyway. I felt like Brees would throw the most this season.

but being a RB first guy I felt safest with LT or Westy personally.

I loved Brees, but if you had a top 6 pick in a 12-teamer there was no way Brees was falling to you in the 2nd round. I tried to trade down but everyone in my league seemed to fall in love with their spot. I could have waited for a tier 3 or 4 QB but picking one of those guys in the 3-5 round would have been a crap shoot. How did Carson look yesterday?

I thought every top back had their risks (yes, even LT), and Brady was a sure thing. Even with the projected drop off he was still destined to be the #1 QB.

But you can predict the rams sucking and jackson sucking as a result...

like this year.

Well, how did it work out for they guys who jumped on Manning early in the first round after his record breaking season?

Darko

When you draft you have to consider how an injury to any player will affect your season. If LT goes down, you probably picked up MJD or Turner or TJones or another RB2 to back him up. If you picked up Moss in the first, you also have Jennings, or Cotchery or maybe even Braylon. Even without the top guy, you probably can piece together a competive team thru the rest of the year.

Most people don't grab a 2nd qb until 8th or 9th rnd, meaning that the dropoff will be very very significant if you got Brady in the first. You don't see people taking late flyers on 2-3qbs hoping for an emerging stud like they do with rbs and wrs (FJones, IBruce, etc). Taking Delhomme and Ben, or Brees and Favre is a lot less risky, than Brady and whoever. Those late picks provide depth at wr/rb positions when injuries happen, which they do every year.

In my league the guy who took Brady is stuck with Bulger now. I offered him Shaub for Colston.

Sucks for him.

this is also a very good point. guys who wait lalter for their QB generally have a closer ranked backup. When you take a QB in the first you prbbaly don't take another until at least the 8th round thinking hey i have tom brady. So not only are you less solid at the other positions but you also lose your stud at a spot where traditionally most people don't have a lot of depth.

Well, how did it work out for they guys who jumped on Manning early in the first round after his record breaking season?

Under-perfroming and getting hurt are two different things. HTH

Darko

Sucks for him.

Shaub for Colston? You sound a lot like the owners in my league. How do you figure Shaub is worth a 2nd round pick? Give me a break man.

Yeah, I had SJax last yr too with the 2nd pick. And Jacobs with the 4th. They both went down, and I still made the run to the champ game b/c like most teams, I had a little depth at RB. Not at QB.

A first rnd pick on a qb is risky, period.

Either way it was a wasted first round pick.

Shaub for Colston? You sound a lot like the owners in my league. How do you figure Shaub is worth a 2nd round pick? Give me a break man.

I figure Shaub is worth a 2nd rnd pick when his owner is looking at a 3-10 season unless he gets a decent qb.

FF is a brutal sport, Darko.

People get kicked when they are down.

Faulk too, the year after he was a complete freak.

People never learn....

you draft for value in fantasy football. you never draft the guy that had a career year the year before..

People never learn....

you draft for value in fantasy football. you never draft the guy that had a career year the year before..

:mellow:

People never learn....

While this may be a solid opinion, what does that have to do with stating "That is why you don't take a QB in the first round!" after Brady got hurt?

Brady did not have a down year like you are implying, rather he got hurt in the first quarter of the season. The fact is that we will never know.

I figure Shaub is worth a 2nd rnd pick when his owner is looking at a 3-10 season unless he gets a decent qb.

Decent QB? Then why are you offering Shaub?

Exactly. This year Manning went 2.1 in my 12-teamer, which you could argue against since it was known that he was banged up. Tom was healthy and coming off of a 52 TD season...what wasn't to like? If he doesn't get hurt, and has an average season THEN you could make the "That's why you don't take a QB in the first round," but the guy got hurt before he had the chance to succeed/fail.

Schaub isn't worth a second round pick, but Brady wasn't worth a first. If you're holding Brady and someone is willing to give you a reliable started to help keep your team from being totally focked, then you sound like a whiny bitch by saying "give me a break." You can pretty much take what they offer, or watch your season drown.

btw, your AD argument earlier is invalid. It's a bit harder to handcuff a QB and expect similar stats.

Exactly. This year Manning went 2.1 in my 12-teamer, which you could argue against since it was known that he was banged up. Tom was healthy and coming off of a 52 TD season...what wasn't to like? If he doesn't get hurt, and has an average season THEN you could make the "That's why you don't take a QB in the first round," but the guy got hurt before he had the chance to succeed/fail.

While this may be a solid opinion, what does that have to do with stating "That is why you don't take a QB in the first round!" after Brady got hurt?

Brady did not have a down year like you are implying, rather he got hurt in the first quarter of the season. The fact is that we will never know.

Because getting a QB that's been a 3rd round pick his whole career in the top of the 1st isn't good value.

Schaub isn't worth a second round pick, but Brady wasn't worth a first. If you're holding Brady and someone is willing to give you a reliable started to help keep your team from being totally focked, then you sound like a whiny bitch by saying "give me a break." You can pretty much take what they offer, or watch your season drown.

btw, your AD argument earlier is invalid. It's a bit harder to handcuff a QB and expect similar stats.

1. A waiver wire QB + keeping my 2nd round pick > Schaub and losing my 2nd round pick

2. I would laugh at you and talk to the other 10 teams that probably have better QBs than Schaub on their bench anyways

Go ahead and keep your scrub QB that will only see your lineup ONCE this year. A QB like Schaub is maybe worth a bye week rb/wr, you're delusional if you think other wise.

Because getting a QB that's been a 3rd round pick his whole career in the top of the 1st isn't good value.

Terrible logic. Welker + Moss changed everything, and last I checked they were both healthy and on the Patriots roster.

Terrible logic. Welker + Moss changed everything, and last I checked they were both healthy and on the Patriots roster.

Not really. Why did Manning under perform after his great season? He basically had the exact same team as well.

I loved Brees, but if you had a top 6 pick in a 12-teamer there was no way Brees was falling to you in the 2nd round. I tried to trade down but everyone in my league seemed to fall in love with their spot. I could have waited for a tier 3 or 4 QB but picking one of those guys in the 3-5 round would have been a crap shoot. How did Carson look yesterday?

I thought every top back had their risks (yes, even LT), and Brady was a sure thing. Even with the projected drop off he was still destined to be the #1 QB.

Palmer looked..... healthy at the end of the game? :dunno:

i mean personally I didn't want anything to do with Palmer either on that train wreck of a team.. I wen't Big Ben.

and yes RB's have their risks but if your a RB guy and not an early QB guy, LT and Westy are probably two of the safest.

1. A waiver wire QB + keeping my 2nd round pick > Schaub and losing my 2nd round pick

2. I would laugh at you and talk to the other 10 teams that probably have better QBs than Schaub on their bench anyways

Go ahead and keep your scrub QB that will only see your lineup ONCE this year. A QB like Schaub is maybe worth a bye week rb/wr, you're delusional if you think other wise.

Guy with Schaub at QB>Guy with Brady at QB AND has RBs and WRs deep enough to make up for having a suck QB.

Darko

Sucks for him.

This is the correct answer! Hopefully people will learn from this and always have a solid option to replace your #1 or #2 pick. That is why I usually go RB at #1 and #2; you only need to draft one solid backup to cover both picks. I will add that when ever I drafted Brady, Manning or Favre I never worried about a backup and would have done the same this year.

We don't know that. Brady got hurt. That is the point.

Brady could have thrown for 4000 and 45 TD's this season, a dropoff from last year, but still would have been a great first round pick. That was entirely possible. Or he could of gone back down to his previous few years stats of 3000 and 28TD's which are NOT first round numbers. The fact is, we will never know as he got injured so we cannot even have the debate. We will never know.

Now if you want to start another thread stating: "Back in 200whatever Peyton Manning had a down year the season after he broke those records and that is the reason you don not draft a QB in the first round!" then you can do that. But saying it about a guy that got hurt the first quarter of the season is dumb.

To be sure you can see the difference.

Unless every owner in the league colludes to screw the team that owned Brady it's really not that serious. If I was another team with say Eli Manning on my bench, I'd be jumping at the opportunity to improve my team by only giving up my back up QB. You can go ahead and be a douche bag, but there are going to be other teams that care more about improving their team than "kicking teams when they are down." So, they'll end up with a better team and you'll be that annoying guy nobody wants back in the league next year.

Not too mention you're acting like Brady owners are forced to make a trade right now. Pennington and Cassel have an opportunity to be just as good as some of the QBs located on teams' benches, so why would you gut your starting line up to trade for a QB that's only marginally better than a FREE agent?

Last year in a dynasty league, a guy didn't show up for the draft and his 1st two auto picks were Manning and Brady.

He went undefeated and won the title.

Why does everyone that passed on Brady feel so Godly today, as if they knew he was going to get hurt? :headbanger: If Adrian Peterson went down I wouldn't say "That's why I never touch 2nd year running backs in the 1st round." Or if Moss went down I wouldn't say, "That's why I never pick a WR who put up 20+ TDs last year in the 1st round." It's rediculous.

An injury to your first round pick is going to crush any team, no matter the position.

I don't think it's arguable that Brady, barring injury, was the safest pick of the draft (especially in leagues that reward 6-points per TD).

I love the offers I'm getting too; do people really think I'm dumb/desperate enough to trade away a couple offensive STARTERS for some no.2 QB? I'm sorry, but Garrard is not worth Witten.

I will pick up and start Cassell all year before I hand some team the championship by giving them studs for their 10th round quarterback.

First of all, I make fun of owners who take QBs in the first round (unless it's a start 2 QB league) whether their QB is hurt or not. It's just a dumb move.

I have Adrian Peterson in a few leagues. If he got hurt, I'd put in Chester Taylor. That's what handcuffs/backups are for.

Brady isn't the safest pick of the draft for a few reasons:

1) He wasn't going to repeat last year's performance.

2) There are plenty of QBs out there capable of throwing for 30 TDs in a year or at least 2-3 in a given week if you play the matchups.

3) You only need to start one QB in most leagues. The NFL starts 32 every week. Yet you often need to start 2-3 RBs (still only in the NFL per week starting) and 2-3 WRs.

There is just no reason to take a QB in the first round. The value simply isn't there relative to guys you can get much later or pickup off the WW.

The problem is your team has no depth when you REACH for players, regardless of position. Did you get what you deserved, of course not. However, you took a risk and it backfired and now your mad at the other owners who said "I told you so"... Quit whining... Play Cassel and next year don't over extend your pathetic little grasp! :headbanger:

First of all, I make fun of owners who take QBs in the first round (unless it's a start 2 QB league) whether their QB is hurt or not. It's just a dumb move.

I have Adrian Peterson in a few leagues. If he got hurt, I'd put in Chester Taylor. That's what handcuffs/backups are for.

Brady isn't the safest pick of the draft for a few reasons:

1) He wasn't going to repeat last year's performance.

2) There are plenty of QBs out there capable of throwing for 30 TDs in a year or at least 2-3 in a given week if you play the matchups.

3) You only need to start one QB in most leagues. The NFL starts 32 every week. Yet you often need to start 2-3 RBs (still only in the NFL per week starting) and 2-3 WRs.

There is just no reason to take a QB in the first round. The value simply isn't there relative to guys you can get much later or pickup off the WW.

You also wasted a ~7th round pick on Chester. If AP goes down are you happy if Chester puts up 75% of APs production? Say you project Brady to throw "only" 35 TDs, it would have been quite easy for me to grab a QB that may put up 75% of those numbers in the 7th round. Those players include: Hassleback, McNabb, and Kurt Warner.

You also wasted a ~7th round pick on Chester. If AP goes down are you happy if Chester puts up 75% of APs production? Say you project Brady to throw "only" 35 TDs, it would have been quite easy for me to grab a QB that may put up 75% of those numbers in the 7th round. Those players include: Hassleback, McNabb, and Kurt Warner.

His ADP is in the seventh round, but I got him in the 9th, 10th, and even swiped him in a league where I didn't get Peterson in the 15th. It's well worth the piece of mind - when McKinnie comes back, I will start a Minnesota Vikings RB every week except their bye week.

And you're right - there are plenty of decent QBs in the 7th round. There are decent ones in the 18th round. There is just about always a decent RB.

In one league, I took LT at 1.1, Fitz and AJ at 2.10 and 3.1, Calvin and Witten at 4.10 and 5.1, as well as Forte, Kevin Smith, Jonathan Stewart and a bunch of other RBs that were being ignored later.

I would have loved to have drafted Brady but I have no interest in taking him in the top 5 picks of the first round when I can get McNabb, Schaub, or Warner much later.

Yes, you're absolutely right you could have grabbed one of them, at the expense of another RB or WR. This is why I don't ever get a QB with a first round pick and usually not with a 2nd rounder unless someone falls to the end of the 2nd. If he bombs or gets injured, you're hosed. If you have Tom Brady, there is not another QB with the ceiling he has, except maybe Manning. If there was, that QB would be getting drafted at the the same spot Brady did, so saying you can draft a backup to replicate those #'s is flat out incorrect. If you take Brady and McNabb, you've basically taken 2 QB picks in the first 6 rounds (on average). What kind of RB and WR roster are you going to have after having spent those picks on QB? One RB injury dooms you as much as losing Brady, maybe more, because of the scarcity of quality options. In a 12 team league maybe 24 Qb's are going to be rostered, whereas probably 40-50 RB's will be, at least, as most teams carry at least 4. And again, if you were so insightful, why didn't you draft one of those guys? If you did, then you wouldn't be getting Schaub offers (fwiw, Schaub is still gonna be good...but I wouldn't give up Colston for him).

No one could've predicted Brady going down. Brady killed me last year with an 80 point game but I had no desire to pick him in the first round this year even though we score 6pts for TDs.

We play only 1 Qb. But play 3 RBs and 3 WRs. A midlevel quarterback can keep you afloat. If you drafted right, you should have stronger RBs and WRs than the guy that took Brady. Point differential should be nullified. Kitna should be enough if you have the backs to run for you.

Tom Brady coming off a career/record breaking year was bound to come back to earth. Look at Peyton a few years ago.

It's unfortunate but in all honesty, I expected a dirty shot (I don't think the Chiefs hit was dirty, just a mistake) to Brady last year when they were running the score up on folks.

If you drafted a good TEAM, you can weather the loss of Brady. It'll be tough but I've had 1st rounders go down and was alright.