Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

McNabb To Start Thursday

ESPN

Donovan McNabb will start when the Philadelphia Eagles host the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday night.

The five-time Pro Bowl quarterback was benched for the first time in his career at halftime of Philadelphia's 36-7 loss at Baltimore on Sunday.

Ha ha, I'd like to see what Jason Whitlock has to say this week. All these' leave McNabb alone ' writers, bleh. When will it be okay to come down hard on McNabb and Reid ? It's like we always have to handle these guys with kid gloves, McNabb especially maybe because of the whole Limbaugh thing. Well, is it okay now Whitlock ?

Ha ha, I'd like to see what Jason Whitlock has to say this week. All these' leave McNabb alone ' writers, bleh. When will it be okay to come down hard on McNabb and Reid ? It's like we always have to handle these guys with kid gloves, McNabb especially maybe because of the whole Limbaugh thing. Well, is it okay now Whitlock ?

Rush was right. :lol:

Rush was right. :pointstosky:

Rush Limbaugh said he never thought the Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb was "that good of a quarterback."

Let's review: McNabb, he said, is "overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well—black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well.

It seems Rush was correct and McNabb is now living here.......... :lol:

Not one Eagle fan has posted here to support McNabb today. Even the Eagle fans know McNabb is done.

It seems Rush was correct and McNabb is now living here.......... :bench:

As a Westy owner, I hope you're right and they keep him on the bench. Also, I want Reid to die in a fire. :ninja:

After being benched, McNabb said: "I've never been in this situation. I didn't even know it could happen".

After being benched, McNabb said: "I've never been in this situation. I didn't even know it could happen".

Yeah, he was just informed of two things he didn't know the past two weeks. A player can get benched and games can end in a tie.

:bench:

I hope Reid says that same thing when his fat azz gets sh!tcanned.

Yeah, he was just informed of two things he didn't know the past two weeks. A player can get benched and games can end in a tie.

Thanks for the explanation...we would have had no idea what he meant had you not elaborated for us. Larry Literal.

:bench:

Thanks for the explanation...we would have had no idea what he meant had you not elaborated for us. Larry Literal.

:dunno:

Is there a problem? You should go back to school and get an education.

New team name: Limbaugh > McNabb

Best post in this thread. :first: Not that I think Limbaugh's comments were correct, but that would be a funny team name. :lol:

I'm just glad Reid finally benched him. My only concern is he'll go back to McNabb for the Thanksgiving game saying he had a short week to prepare Kolb for his first start and doesn't want to do that. Hopefully this was the last I've seen of McNabb playing as an Eagle though. I've been sick of his act for the past 2-3 years now.

Here's to hoping Kolb is the right man for the job in '09! :rolleyes:

Is there a problem? You should go back to school and get an education.

Yea, there was no need for you to explain his post for us...we all understood it. Buh-bye.

As a Westy owner, I hope you're right and they keep him on the bench. Also, I want Reid to die in a fire. :banana:

I don't like the Eagles but A.Reid is a good coach. How soon Eagle fans forget...

This is the coach who led the Eagles to four NFC championship game appearances, from 2001-2004 and to Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004.

He owns five division titles and four trips to the NFC Championship game. Since he was hired in 1999, no other franchise has earned more divisional playoff round appearances (6).

I like it when the Eagles lose, but A.Reid is a very very solid head coach.

How about taking Ray Rhodes back?

I don't like the Eagles but A.Reid is a good coach. How soon Eagle fans forget...

I'm all for moving on without McNabb, but I don't get the backlash against Andy Reid - not to the extent that a pretty good percentage of Eagles fans want him fired. He's one of the best coaches in the league in my opinion.

TO was right about McNabb.

Are you suggesting T.O. has ever been wrong? I'm confused, because you can't possibly mean that...

This is the coach who led the Eagles to four NFC championship game appearances, from 2001-2004 and to Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004.

He owns five division titles and four trips to the NFC Championship game. Since he was hired in 1999, no other franchise has earned more divisional playoff round appearances (6).

Ray Rhodes won playoff games. So did Rich Kotite. Big deal.

Andy Reid prospered in an era when the NFC East sucked. Many years of lean years for the Cowboys, Giants, Redskins. The Eagles won a ton of division games and therefore had a good record every year. The Eagles were a decent team, but not that impressive other than the year when they had Terrell Owens. Now that the division is strong, the Eagles are overmatched. It's likely not a coincidence. Plus, toss in many years of bad drafts run by Reid, and the talent level keeps drifting downhill. I'm tired of Andy Reid being talked about like he is some kind of genius. He deserves more criticism than he gets.

Andy Reid prospered in an era when the NFC East sucked. Many years of lean years for the Cowboys, Giants, Redskins. The Eagles won a ton of division games and therefore had a good record every year. The Eagles were a decent team, but not that impressive other than the year when they had Terrell Owens. Now that the division is strong, the Eagles are overmatched. It's likely not a coincidence. Plus, toss in many years of bad drafts run by Reid, and the talent level keeps drifting downhill. I'm tired of Andy Reid being talked about like he is some kind of genius. He deserves more criticism than he gets.

:sleep:

He is the East coast version of Mike Holmgren.

:angry:

FYI, The 3 other teams in his division during that time period put together something like 4-5 winning seasons COMBINED.

He is the East coast version of Mike Holmgren.

Nah...Holmgren actually has a SB ring. :angry:

Hate to admit it, but he's right. :headbanger:

Yesterday's benching of McNabb had nothing to do with #5 and everything to do with Reid trying to save his job.

Ironically, the way it all happened yesterday is probably is what's gonna get him fired. Having the position coach tell his QB of ten years that he's riding the pine in the second half? Gutless.

Putting a green QB into a game, without proper preparation, against a tough defense, doing it without a running game while still following the same sh!tty gameplan? Really?

So now, Reid has a choice to make. He can go back to McNabb, but if he does, he's basically relying on a guy who he just gutlessly benched and basically chucked under the bus. If he goes with Kolb, he's going with a green QB, with a short week of preparation, against a playoff team, and in the long run, against a tough NFC East schedule without a healthy Westbrook.

Reid has painted himself into a corner. Dumb azz is getting himself fired. There is no way out.

Yesterday's benching of McNabb had nothing to do with #5 and everything to do with Reid trying to save his job.

Yeah, I'm sure the 7 turnovers and 1 TD in the last two games had nothing to do with it.

Just as I"m sure the average 31% passer rating over the last two games had nothing to do with it.

Three straight game with a completion percentage under 50% was probably irrelevant too.

As was tying the 1-8 Bengals. As was the third straight loss.

Yep, nothing to do with #5 allrighty. Poor guys' just an innocent victim. :headbanger:

Hate to admit it, but he's right. :headbanger:

Ironically, the way it all happened yesterday is probably is what's gonna get him fired. Having the position coach tell his QB of ten years that he's riding the pine in the second half? Gutless.

Putting a green QB into a game, without proper preparation, against a tough defense, doing it without a running game while still following the same sh!tty gameplan? Really?

So now, Reid has a choice to make. He can go back to McNabb, but if he does, he's basically relying on a guy who he just gutlessly benched and basically chucked under the bus. If he goes with Kolb, he's going with a green QB, with a short week of preparation, against a playoff team, and in the long run, against a tough NFC East schedule without a healthy Westbrook.

Reid has painted himself into a corner. Dumb azz is getting himself fired. There is no way out.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you - maybe that's what Reid wants! Nah -

But seriously, the reality is that he is too prideful to admit that he's been wrong with his talent evaluation and his game planning for years. He's a good head coach but won't ever be great unless he can evolve. And I don't think he will. It's time to accept the reality as Eagles fans. We had a great 10 years, but it is time to rebuild. And hopefully we get lucky enough to get a coach like Cowher who knows how to get his team ready to fight.

The McNabb who could evade the pass rush and be a running threat was a top five QB in the league. The overweight, gimpy kneed McNabb, who can only throw if he has five seconds to do so, is an average-to-below-average NFL QB. Teams have won in this league with average QBs, but the Eagles don't have the tealent to consistently do so, especially with a 60% healthy Brian Westbrook. Westbrook's talents hid quiite a few shortcomings on that team. The Eagles always had better results when McNabb was out than they did when Westbrook was.

As for Reid, I've been critical of his short-yardage play calling all year. The pass that Reed intercepted in the endzone on second and inches may have been the worst desperation call I've ever seen. Reid is a nervous wreck on short yardage plays. He's now second guessing himself and trying to overthink things. It is week 12 and Reid STILL doesn't have an effective short yardage back. Shanahan is down to his 15th back and discovered that Peyton Hillis is a good shart yardage back. It's not that tough. Reid's personel decisions are horrible.

Also, his decision to put Kolb in against a defense like Baltimore on the road was horrible. The score was 10-7. I dson't care how poorly the offense was doing. There was no way Kolb was going to have a better chance at success than McNabb. He should have hoped that the defense kept them in it and McNabb could have found a way to score. Use him again for the short week, and THEN bench McNabb when he had10 days to work with the first team offense.

At thsi point, I would start McNabb against Arizona on Thursday. Unless McNabb seems to have snapped out of it, start Kolb there on out to see if he may be the QB of the future. If not, use teh offseason to find one, either through the draft or free agency.

Also, if they can get a good coach, like Bill Cowher, they need to fire Reid. They shouldn't, however, fire Reid unless they know they can get someone better.

Thanks for comin' out. :nono:

Also, his decision to put Kolb in against a defense like Baltimore on the road was horrible. The score was 10-7. I dson't care how poorly the offense was doing. There was no way Kolb was going to have a better chance at success than McNabb. He should have hoped that the defense kept them in it and McNabb could have found a way to score. Use him again for the short week, and THEN bench McNabb when he had10 days to work with the first team offense.

Absolutely agree with all of that. :nono:

Short of injury, I don't think I've EVER seen a QB get replaced with a 3 point deficit. Granted, it's the 7 turnovers and 1 td in two games that had to be the factor, but still, you don't drop your rook v. BAL if you can avoid it.

SI reporting McNabb will start Thurdsday.

Of course. If Kolb had come in and actually done something, there may have been an option here. His endzone interception killed any chnace he had of starting against the Cardinals.

If McNabb sucks again Thursday, Kolb will be named starter for the rest of the year.

Of course. If Kolb had come in and actually done something, there may have been an option here. His endzone interception killed any chnace he had of starting against the Cardinals.

If McNabb sucks again Thursday, Kolb will be named starter for the rest of the year.

Perhaps Kolb didn't know that an endzone reception isn't a touchdown if it's caught by the other team??

Yeah, I'm sure the 7 turnovers and 1 TD in the last two games had nothing to do with it.

Just as I"m sure the average 31% passer rating over the last two games had nothing to do with it.

Three straight game with a completion percentage under 50% was probably irrelevant too.

As was tying the 1-8 Bengals. As was the third straight loss.

Yep, nothing to do with #5 allrighty. Poor guys' just an innocent victim. :thumbsup:

Do you think it's coincidence that since Westbrook's injury (and subsequent ineffective running game), the Eagles have been throwing the ball 50 or so times a game? How successful have the Eagles been when they throw 50+ times per game?

How is it that McNabb, once the 4th rated QB in the NFC, has 7 turnovers since Westbrook's been rendered ineffective?

Any person who knows anything about football will tell you that Westbrook is the key to this offense. If McNabb has no Westbrook, and this point in his career, you can't have him throw 50+ times a game.

When the 1-8 Bengal defenders are telling you they know what the Eagle offense is gonna run, that's an indictment on McNabb?

When Ed Reed tells the media that NO TEAM should be throwing 50+ times a game, that's McNabb's fault?

M-kay. ;)

Why do you need to see McFail suck again? I believe that in your heart of hearts, you still think the iggles have a chance to make the playoffs. It's very cute and sad at the same time.

At thsi point, I would start McNabb against Arizona on Thursday. Unless McNabb seems to have snapped out of it, start Kolb there on out to see if he may be the QB of the future. If not, use teh offseason to find one, either through the draft or free agency.

Also, if they can get a good coach, like Bill Cowher, they need to fire Reid. They shouldn't, however, fire Reid unless they know they can get someone better.

I don't think it's really a good time to start Kolb, given the schedule that the lack of a running game. I think you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

If they do get a new coach, they need to rebuild the team around the defense. With that said, I think they can ride Kolb for a bit, because you really would just need him to manage the game.

Now if you could hire Cowher, here's what I do:

1. Let McNabb go, along with some other FA's, like Dawkins, Runyan, etc.. Free up your cap space.

2. Rebuild both lines. There are some components there, but the most money should be spent here.

3. Draft a franchise running back (Evan Royster, anyone?).

4. Remold the offense into a Cowher, smashmouth running game.

This is just a start. More to follow if/how the discussion progresses.

I don't think it's really a good time to start Kolb, given the schedule that the lack of a running game. I think you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

If they do get a new coach, they need to rebuild the team around the defense. With that said, I think they can ride Kolb for a bit, because you really would just need him to manage the game.

Now if you could hire Cowher, here's what I do:

1. Let McNabb go, along with some other FA's, like Dawkins, Runyan, etc.. Free up your cap space.

2. Rebuild both lines. There are some components there, but the most money should be spent here.

3. Draft a franchise running back (Evan Royster, anyone?).

4. Remold the offense into a Cowher, smashmouth running game.

This is just a start. More to follow if/how the discussion progresses.

Monte Kiffin would be a nice choice if they fire Fat Andy. :music_guitarred:

Do you think it's coincidence that since Westbrook's injury (and subsequent ineffective running game), the Eagles have been throwing the ball 50 or so times a game? How successful have the Eagles been when they throw 50+ times per game?

How is it that McNabb, once the 4th rated QB in the NFC, has 7 turnovers since Westbrook's been rendered ineffective?

Any person who knows anything about football will tell you that Westbrook is the key to this offense. If McNabb has no Westbrook, and this point in his career, you can't have him throw 50+ times a game.

When the 1-8 Bengal defenders are telling you they know what the Eagle offense is gonna run, that's an indictment on McNabb?

When Ed Reed tells the media that NO TEAM should be throwing 50+ times a game, that's McNabb's fault?

M-kay. :music_guitarred:

Exactly. Well said. This move was all a desperation move by Reid to save his job and hope to catch lightning in a bottle with Kolb. In the end though, this may be the move that gets him fired. It was terrible on soo many levels. Benching your QB down only 3 points on the road against a very tough defense and throwing a young QB into the fire is just idiotic. Then to not even have the guts to tell the QB urself, terrible. McNabb was not playing well but maybe Reid should put him in a better position to succeed. The play calling is flat out terrible. They refuse to run the ball and even the pass plays are ineffective. You can not throw the ball this much when you have very few playmakers. It works for the Cardinals because Boldin and Fitzgerald are two of the top 5 WR's in the NFL. And Steve Breaston might be as good as anyone the Eagles have.

Another thing i found funny was to only carry 2 active RB's on the roster. Are you serious? What NFL team would ever do this. Not to mention the injury history of Buckhalter and Westbrook to compound things. Buck got banged up in the game and they were down to a 60% healthy Brian Westbrook.

Anyone that thinks Andy Reid is still a good football coach is not watching the Eagles very much. The play calling is maybe the worst in football. He has no clue how to challenge a play, and he is never been known for his clock managment abilities. Andy Reid needs to go. This is is his football team. He built it and he should go down with it. They have to move on without McNabb next year even though I still think Donovan can be a good nfl QB with the right personnel around him.