Sign in to follow this  
nlgb1

Deangelo Williams doesnt make NFC pro bowl team

portis easy... deangelo was fourth in rushing yds, tops in the league among starters at 5.5 ypc (which is unheard of unless youre jerious norwood), and tops in the NFL in touchdowns. doesnt sound like a guy that should be left out to me, especially considering he wasnt even an every down back.

tops in the league among starters at 5.5 ypc (which is unheard of unless youre jerious norwood)

Or AD. <_<

ETA: I'd probably agree with leaving Portis off, but like I said, Williams caught fire too late.

In the first half of the season, Williams had 522 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs, 76 receiving yards, and 2 receiving TDs. Hardly Pro Bowl worthy at that point.

In contrast, Portis had 944 rushing yards, 7 rushing TDs, and 77 receiving yards in the first half.

pro bowl is a joke it has become like all star game popular not the most deserving goes leaving williams out is out right disgusting

Williams should have been in over Portis and it's not even close.. Portis made it in because Washington fans stuff the ballot box like nobody's business..

Portis:

CAR 291 YDS 1,337 AVG 4.6 TDS 7 + 0 Rec TD's

Williams:

CAR 224 YDS 1,229 AVG 5.5 TDS 14 + 2 Rec TD's

16 TD's......

Williams should have been in over Portis and it's not even close.. Portis made it in because Washington fans stuff the ballot box like nobody's business..

Portis:

CAR 291 YDS 1,337 AVG 4.6 TDS 7 + 0 Rec TD's

Williams:

CAR 224 YDS 1,229 AVG 5.5 TDS 14 + 2 Rec TD's

16 TD's......

Same thing happened to Portis in 05'. That year, Portis carried the Skins to the playoffs with a VERY strong second half and yet, Warrick Dunn made it and Portis didn't. The Pro Bowl generally looks more at the first half of the season. It's just the way it is.

What usually happens when players get jobbed like this is that one of the vets who have been to the pro bowl before developes a mystery illness and is "forced" out of the game allowing a first timer like DeAng to step in.

They all realize that bonuses kick in for pro bowl appearances so they tend to take care of each other in that way.

It will happen, and it will probably be Portis who bows out.

If Deangelo didn't break the 55 yard TD last week, he had his normal "splitting carries" stats of 11 carries for 32 yards. This is what was more the norm for him the 1st half of the season, and why he was off the radar when talking about Pro Bowl running backs.

Now travelling to NY, if he doesn't break the "Leon Washington" long TD....he'll be off the highlight reel, under 50yards for the day.

Deangelo is a scrub

Further proof you have no clue.

Like another poster said...caught fire too late.

Portis had the big early season and thats what voters remembered.

Same reason Nick Collins made it for GB.

If Deangelo didn't break the 55 yard TD last week, he had his normal "splitting carries" stats of 11 carries for 32 yards. This is what was more the norm for him the 1st half of the season, and why he was off the radar when talking about Pro Bowl running backs.

Now travelling to NY, if he doesn't break the "Leon Washington" long TD....he'll be off the highlight reel, under 50yards for the day.

But he did break that run....and "his normal splitting carries" stats have looked pretty good recently.

I wouldn't say it is terrible he didn't make it. I would have liked to see him make it though. Too many good RBs. AP is a no brainer. Portis to me is a no brainer. He was considered a possible MVP for the 1st half of the season. Like AP he was the offense for his team, and grinded games out, the guy is a tough player.

Turner/Williams....could go either way for me.

With Portis as banged up as he is, he'll probably sit out the Probowl anyway and Williams will get in.

With Portis as banged up as he is, he'll probably sit out the Probowl anyway and Williams will get in.

Is there an echo in here?

bottom line is that only coaches and players should be allowed to vote because unlike baseball and basketball, stats almost never tell the full story, and thats what 90% of the casual fans that vote use to judge who should be in

I agree the system should be different, but I also agree that Williams caught fire too late and he was generally great against lesser defenses and not so good against stronger ones. The exception was the huge Bucs game and maybe the Packers contest.

This was actually a pretty tame year for snubs.

My biggest gripes were

AFC QB. Favre and Cutler could have easily been Roethlisberger and Pennington. Don't even talk to me about Rivers, nobody on the Chargers deserved to make the Pro Bowl, especially:

Antonio Gates at TE? Over Dallas Clark? Really?

Also agree that the system should be different. The game isn't played until after the Super Bowl, so why vote so early in the year? It's not like the other sports where the game is played in the middle of the season. Voting should take place at the end to give a better overall perspective.

Remember back when there were 13 Redskins making the probowl because their fans submitted thousands of votes, well maybe thats how Portis beat out Williams? Just a thought, I think DeAngelo deserved it more.

Don't even talk to me about Rivers, nobody on the Chargers deserved to make the Pro Bowl

Yeah, the NFL's top rated QB, leader in passing TDs and yds/pass should not have made the pro bowl :unsure:

One of the other three backs won't play due to injury or another reason and DeAngelo will be named the replacement. Thus making everyone happy.

biggest Snub has to be Rivers

Farve, Cutlet gimme a break, neither of their no's are even close to Rivers, and SD has probably the worst line in the AFC

but DWill should be there over Portis imo

also Calvin should be there, but over who I cant really say.

Scifers should also be there over Legler

I believe only Turner should be ahead of him...not AP or especially Portis. Look at him fizzle like day old coka-cola.

i dont know about deangelo beating out AP thats pushing it a little. AP is all the vikes have... hes their entire offense. i just cant believe eli beat out rodgers... just gross