Sign in to follow this  
Odie

Cowboys Release T.O.!

If I signed with the Pats I don't think I could take the year long stories of him & Moss, being if they were getting along or hating each other, or pending his attitude bad or good, how Belichick handled him. Then they'd bring up Dillon and Moss.

It would be non-stop. Plus the Pats would be in prime time almost every week because the networks think people care about T.O. like we're all dying to see if he does something controversial. ESPN is probably drooling already in just hopes of something like that happening.

Pats do need someone to play on the other side of Moss though. I'd rather they go after Marvin Harrison. I think Harrison would fit in nicely with Moss and Welker.

we dont want him and his BS!! :thumbsdown: let him go back to UTC and be the mascot :unsure:

You're way, off, buddy. Beating a woman is definitely not ok. Beating a child is definitely not ok and that also has nothing to do with anything being discussed. I don't condone what Fitz allegedly did. There's no defending it. If people don't want to overlook that one incident, I don't have a problem with that. And it's got absolutely nothing to do with football, let alone does it have anything to do with TO.

The thing is, with Owens, you're completely full of crap to classify his wrongdoing as simply "playing for Dallas and having a big mouth." That is as inaccurate of a description of why Owens is a piece of shit as you could possibly come up with. I've got no problem with Dallas, and I was down on Owens long before he was a Cowboy. I don't like that he has a big mouth but that's not even a big deal, there are a ton of guys in the league that have a big mouth but that doesn't put them in Owens category. What Owens has done is figuratively taken a shit on not one, not two, but all three NFL teams he has played for.

Have you ever played an organized sport? Put your heart and soul into the team? Counted on your teammates and bonded together? There's no defending how this guy after how bad of a teammate he has been three times in the NFL. He was a complete douchebag in college too. It's nonsensical and gutless to defend this guy by comparing him to guys who have broken the law. Sure, if you're going to rank players by what is the single-worst thing they have ever done in their life, then Owens does not register at the top of that list. It's a totally different category. Hell, while we're at it let's just compare him favorably to Hitler, boy, that TO is an awesome guy, he didn't start a Holocaust or anything! I sure would love to have him on my team. :thumbsdown: Come on.

To blame the media for the coverage on Owens is misguided as well. Everyone knows how the media operates. Players, for the most part, choose to put themselves in that spotlight or not. Owens knows what the media goes for and he seeks it out. How many other guys hold press conferences at their house for publicity? But what's worse is that not only doe she run his mouth and seek out the camera, he does so in such a way as to tear down his team.

Any one thing he did is not so bad by itself. But when you add it all up, and you consider his refusal to learn for his mistakes and his consistent lack of regard for his teammates or really anyone other than himself, he's in a category all by himself. You suggested that what Owens has done should be overlooked. How can you overlook Owens' behavior when he does it again and again and again?

Jim Brown was a pretty shatty teammate with a big mouth and as many scrapes with the law as pac-man jones.

You hate him too, right? He sucked, right?

In 1965 an 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whiskey, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965.

 He was accused of throwing his girlfriend from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old girl refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped. He was fined $300 for resisting a deputy.

 Brown was acquitted of assaulting a man after a traffic accident in 1969.

 He was fined $500 and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner in 1978.

 He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985, but the charges were dropped when the 33-year-old woman gave inconsistent testimony.

 The next year, he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée after accusing her of flirting. He spent three hours in jail, but three days later the 21-year-old woman said she didn't want to prosecute.

 In October 1999, Brown, by then well into his 60's, was convicted in Los Angeles of smashing the window of his 25-year-old wife Monique's car, but was acquitted of making terrorist threats against her. The judge sentenced him to three years' probation, when Brown refused counseling, he was given a six-month sentence. He was released from jail in Ventura County (California) in July 2002 after serving less than four months.

TO arrests: ....

So who's really the bad guy?

Do you always make wild correlations between sports that have nothing to do with one another?

Are both Bonds and Owens known as moody, disruptive, asswholes? Check.

Were both Bonds and Owens considered among the best at their sport? Check.

Were both dooshbags tolerated when they were still dominating players? Check.

Were both unceramoniously dropped (without even asking for compensation) once their skills started eroding a bit? Check.

Wild correlations, huh? :thumbsdown:

Do you always make wild correlations between sports that have nothing to do with one another?

You mean like GettnHuge does when trying to defend TO?

Jim Brown was a pretty shatty teammate with a big mouth and as many scrapes with the law as pac-man jones.

You hate him too, right? He sucked, right?

In 1965 an 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whiskey, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965.

 He was accused of throwing his girlfriend from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old girl refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped. He was fined $300 for resisting a deputy.

 Brown was acquitted of assaulting a man after a traffic accident in 1969.

 He was fined $500 and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner in 1978.

 He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985, but the charges were dropped when the 33-year-old woman gave inconsistent testimony.

 The next year, he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée after accusing her of flirting. He spent three hours in jail, but three days later the 21-year-old woman said she didn't want to prosecute.

 In October 1999, Brown, by then well into his 60's, was convicted in Los Angeles of smashing the window of his 25-year-old wife Monique's car, but was acquitted of making terrorist threats against her. The judge sentenced him to three years' probation, when Brown refused counseling, he was given a six-month sentence. He was released from jail in Ventura County (California) in July 2002 after serving less than four months.

TO arrests: ....

So who's really the bad guy?

Listen closely because I am only going to tell you this one more time, and it's the last thing I'm going to say to you.

I have never once said anything about Jim Brown. Ever.

You've made it clear: As much as you desperately want to, you are unable to defend Terrell Owens. All you can do is try to change the subject by comparing him to guys whose wrongdoing(s) are in totally different categories. It's transparent, misguided, and juvenile.

handicapping this...i see it as:

1. Washington

2. Tampa

3. Oakland

I am honestly not sure that TO is worth the effort anymore. He clearly isn't the gamebreaker that he used to be. I don't care how in shape he is and how well he takes care of his body, he's still an old WR at this point and a poor teammate when things aren't going well.

Yep. And for some reason, people keep forgetting that he leads the league in dropped passes.

You mean like GettnHuge does when trying to defend TO?

defending TO? I'm defending my annoyance over incredible hypocrisy.

big mouth = worse than hitler

beat up girlfriend = your "legend"

Listen closely because I am only going to tell you this one more time, and it's the last thing I'm going to say to you.

I have never once said anything about Jim Brown. Ever.

You've made it clear: As much as you desperately want to, you are unable to defend Terrell Owens. All you can do is try to change the subject by comparing him to guys whose wrongdoing(s) are in totally different categories. It's transparent, misguided, and juvenile.

Dunno if there's something personal going on between you two, but in fairness, I think he's putting Owen's behavior into context. I know Owens is disrputive, immature and very likely bipolar. I know he's bad for team chemistry. But the virulence with which you and others go after him - in the context of guys like Jim Brown, Ray Lewis, et al is a little over the top, no? Look, I love trashing the guy too, but it's really overdone. As has been asked what has he ever done to merit such virulent disdain? - Or alternatively, why don't people bag on wife beaters and murderers as much as T.O.? It's a valid question. I'm not defending TO - far from it. But it's an interesting question that I'd like to see ESPN have.

It seems really selective, I know why ESPN does it (more later), but Good God, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison, Leonard Little, - In that context, a little whing and crying seems pretty minor.

So why do they do it? Because TO will give them quotes. They know that. Bait him, set him up, ask him enough leading questions - and ESPN will have something to feed their ridiculous littany of half-hour shows for the rest of the week.

GH has a perfectly valid point. You may not like it. You may not understand it. But it's a valid point. In context, TO is at least merely annoying, at worst, a team cancer. But that pales in comparison to other guys' off-field behavior in the NFL.

No one is saying TO is a criminal. No one is saying what he does is worse than what others have done.

But as fans, we see what he does, and how much he act like a little kid. As a guy making millions and always complaining and ruining teams, we the fans have a strong hate for him. Just because TOs situps in a driveway get more hate here than a domestic abuse doesn't mean we the fans think it is worse. There is just more to talk about on and off the field with TO.

Why are people acting like Lewis and Harrison definatly did something?

Their cases aren't like OJs at all. They were both proven not guilty...weren't they?

Dunno if there's something personal going on between you two, but in fairness, I think he's putting Owen's behavior into context. I know Owens is disrputive, immature and very likely bipolar. I know he's bad for team chemistry. But the virulence with which you and others go after him - in the context of guys like Jim Brown, Ray Lewis, et al is a little over the top, no? Look, I love trashing the guy too, but it's really overdone. As has been asked what has he ever done to merit such virulent disdain? - Or alternatively, why don't people bag on wife beaters and murderers as much as T.O.? It's a valid question. I'm not defending TO - far from it. But it's an interesting question that I'd like to see ESPN have.

It seems really selective, I know why ESPN does it (more later), but Good God, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison, Leonard Little, - In that context, a little whing and crying seems pretty minor.

So why do they do it? Because TO will give them quotes. They know that. Bait him, set him up, ask him enough leading questions - and ESPN will have something to feed their ridiculous littany of half-hour shows for the rest of the week.

GH has a perfectly valid point. You may not like it. You may not understand it. But it's a valid point. In context, TO is at least merely annoying, at worst, a team cancer. But that pales in comparison to other guys' off-field behavior in the NFL.

thanx

bobby carpenter on espn basically just said that the media and their stories and obsession with it was more the

distraction than TO ever was behind the scenes and things were blown way way out of proportion. they asked him

about 'coming to blows' with witten as reported by Werder and Carpenter said there was friction because they lost

a couple games, but it was handled professionally by all and it didn't happen.

1. Washington

2. Tampa

3. Oakland

I am honestly not sure that TO is worth the effort anymore. He clearly isn't the gamebreaker that he used to be. I don't care how in shape he is and how well he takes care of his body, he's still an old WR at this point and a poor teammate when things aren't going well.

What about New England?

But the virulence with which you and others go after him - in the context of guys like Jim Brown, Ray Lewis, et al is a little over the top, no? Look, I love trashing the guy too, but it's really overdone.

I never put him in the context of those other guys, and it is idiotic for anyone to do so. You and others who make similar points are barking up the wrong tree. I wouldn't even be bothering to say bad things about TO if there weren't people misguidedly trying to defend him. If you don't understand why TO gets more bad pub than others, then you haven't been paying attention. As I've already explained, it's because while he may not be a bad person, he is arguably the single-worst teammate in pro sports, and he exacerbates it by going out of his way to bring more negative attention upon himself.

Think about it wiffle. People don't have the energy to spend time hating on every bad person they have ever heard of. But in the category of being a horrible teammate, TO stands out. If you can't understand why that is a big deal among people obsessed with sports, then there's nothing anyone can say to make you understand, you're just going to have to continue to be bewildered.

1. Washington

2. Tampa

3. Oakland

Bodog has it like this:

Raiders - 7/2

Redskins - 4/1

Jets - 13/2

Bucs - 11/2

Patriots - 13/2

Titans - 13/2

Dolphins - 8/1

Eagles - 50/1

Field - 9/4

Their cases aren't like OJs at all. They were both proven not guilty...weren't they?

No.

Lewis pled out to a lesser charge. Not exactly being proven not guilty.

Harrison's situation is still pending and no charges may ever come from it due to changing stories and no credible witnesses. But, again, not exactly "proven not guilty".

You could actually say that OJ was more "proven not guilty" than either of them.

No.

Lewis pled out to a lesser charge. Not exactly being proven not guilty.

Harrison's situation is still pending and no charges may ever come from it due to changing stories and no credible witnesses. But, again, not exactly "proven innocent".

Still, people come off as "knowing" they did this crimes. Acting like they are gangbangers for possible being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bodog has it like this:

Raiders - 7/2

Redskins - 4/1

Jets - 13/2

Bucs - 11/2

Patriots - 13/2

Titans - 13/2

Dolphins - 8/1

Eagles - 50/1

Field - 9/4

THE ANTI-T.O. LIST

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2009, 11:17 a.m. EST

As we’re doing with Mike Vick, we’ll be keeping a running tally of all of the teams that have said ”thanks” followed immediately by “no thanks” to the possibility of signing receiver Terrell Owens.

Please note that this only reflects teams that already have said that they’re not interested:

The Dallas Cowboys. (Duh.)

The New York Giants.

The Washington Redskins.

The Baltimore Ravens.

The San Francisco 49ers.

The Minnesota Vikings.

Here are the teams that likely will join the list soon:

The Philadelphia Eagles.

The Miami Dolphins.

I never put him in the context of those other guys, and it is idiotic for anyone to do so. You and others who make similar points are barking up the wrong tree. I wouldn't even be bothering to say bad things about TO if there weren't people misguidedly trying to defend him. If you don't understand why TO gets more bad pub than others, then you haven't been paying attention. As I've already explained, it's because while he may not be a bad person, he is arguably the single-worst teammate in pro sports, and he exacerbates it by going out of his way to bring more negative attention upon himself.

Think about it wiffle. People don't have the energy to spend time hating on every bad person they have ever heard of. But in the category of being a horrible teammate, TO stands out. If you can't understand why that is a big deal among people obsessed with sports, then there's nothing anyone can say to make you understand, you're just going to have to continue to be bewildered.

So, Bad Teammate is worth more airtime, more virulence than an Athlete who kills someone? That's what you're saying. "People don't have time to hate every bad person.." So, they choose this guy of all guys? Wow. I think there's more to it than that. In short, he's easy pickings.

You've made your point, I understand it. But the reality is, T.O. provides soundbites. He provides fodder. He says stupid shiit. People love to feel superior to other people - that's the root of it - Americans LOVE that shiit. I haven't read the whole thread, but I dont' think putting the guy in context is exactly "defending him". You're right though, when I hear "His Quarterbacks weren't strong enough, we're committed to winning..." Oh yeah, you and I will jump on that poster together.

The guy's definitely divisive. I don't have all the answers as to why. I'm obsessed with sports too - obviously. I think that point is not correct. Look at Bonds V McGuire. Both are cheaters. McGuire doesn't get NEAR the shiit that Bonds does. Why? Because people are "obsessed with sports" enough for you? No. Bonds was a diick to the media. The media loves to jump on him. He says stupid shiit, McGuire doesn't. - I think that's probably closer to the mark than your 'obsession' angle. But I dunno. It's really interesting to see how frothed at the mouth some guys get over this guy. He's immature, stupid and bipolar, but he doesn't exactly keep me up at night. - He leads the league in drops. That pisses me off more than the stupid shiit he occasionally says. - But yeah, maybe you're just the bigger sports dude. - The gossip about his reality show is more important than the dropped passes. :doh:

If you'd ever played sports, you'd know that locker room fights - and I mean, knock down drag outs - are NOT uncommon. 'Teammates' yell at each other, cheat on their GF/wives, beat the ###### out of each other. How the FOCK does Steve Smith break his own Teammates nose - but T.O. yells onthe sideline and it gets 98 times more airplay/coverage?

Don't even know where to start.

First off, OJ was "proven not guilty" of murder too. In fact, he was the only one of the three. So HE's the MOST innocent, right? :doh:

Harrison and Lewis were beneficiaries of the whole "don't snitch" /pay off the witnesses thing so many blacks seem to love so well and rap about. That shiit pisses me off.

Lewis' suit was drenched in the blood of a guy who died of a knife wound. Do you know how close you have to be to someone in order for them to bleed to death (from the belly) and drench your suit in the process? If THIS happened to you, would your first 2 thoughts be: 1) Tell all my friends not to say anything and 2) Have your gf destroy the suit? - Because he admitted to both of those.

Harrison's own gun, found in his possession shot at a car with a two year old in it which just happened to be driven by a guy with whom Harrison had fought.

Just how the fock many coincidences do there have to BE?

Yet, ESPN barely touched these stories.

But hey, do some sit ups in your own driveway and we'll dispatch 35 live crews with satellite trucks. :angry:

It's all about context, intelligence and common sense. Some people have it. Some people don't.

Still, people come off as "knowing" they did this crimes. Acting like they are gangbangers for possible being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'll maybe spot you Lewis, maybe, and at least he had some punishment. But there are plenty of indications that Harrison's involvement goes deeper than the wrong place at the wrong time, and he might skate completely.

What about New England?

NE does not need that kind of dissruption.....They don't need TO to get Moss or Welker open more...nor do they need to spend $$ on someone like TO. The spoke with Galloway yesterday.......

I'll maybe spot you Lewis, maybe, and at least he had some punishment. But there are plenty of indications that Harrison's involvement goes deeper than the wrong place at the wrong time, and he might skate completely.

I love how Marvin has made you so upset. It gives me pleasure.

putting the guy in context

You keep saying this. Comparing the guy to others of a different classification is not putting the guy in context. It's taking him out of context. It's defense by straw man.

Look at Bonds V McGuire.

Being a jerk matters when it comes to bad press. There's no question about it.

Here's the problem with Owens that I think people overlook when they question why he gets criticized so much. Every time the attention dies down and people start to like him again, he does something new to remind everyone that he's a douchebag. Like I said before, if you take any one thing he's done, it's not that bad. It's when you add it all up that he's a special case.

Do you remember when the Eagles went to the Super Bowl? He came back from injury, had a great game, people loved him! The media loved him, fans who used to hate him loved him. Despite the fact that he'd been a total jerk in San Francisco, people were ready to move on and turn over a new leaf with the guy. So what does he do? He turns it around and acts like even more of an asshole and locker room cancer than ever. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. By now almost everyone has gotten to the point where it's shame on you, TO. He has only himself to blame for that.

I just can't comprehend how any team would be interested in his services. He's proven time and time again that he can't keep his big mouth shut and get along with his teammates and coaches. His on the field talent isn't even at an elite level anymore, the only thing he'll contend to lead the league in is drops.

For a young team he'll set terrible examples. On a veteran team he'll just clash with other strong personalities.

His one shining moment in the league, having a good game in the SB on a broken ankle, he turned the post game into ME ME ME. Chastising the media, whining that everybody doesn't love him like Brett Favre. The fact that they lost the game didn't even seem to matter to him.

Terrell Owens is the most talented loser in the history of the NFL.

Fock you TO, I wouldn't let you pump my gas. Focking bum

So, Bad Teammate is worth more airtime, more virulence than an Athlete who kills someone? That's what you're saying. "People don't have time to hate every bad person.." So, they choose this guy of all guys? Wow. I think there's more to it than that. In short, he's easy pickings.

You've made your point, I understand it. But the reality is, T.O. provides soundbites. He provides fodder. He says stupid shiit. People love to feel superior to other people - that's the root of it - Americans LOVE that shiit. I haven't read the whole thread, but I dont' think putting the guy in context is exactly "defending him". You're right though, when I hear "His Quarterbacks weren't strong enough, we're committed to winning..." Oh yeah, you and I will jump on that poster together.

The guy's definitely divisive. I don't have all the answers as to why. I'm obsessed with sports too - obviously. I think that point is not correct. Look at Bonds V McGuire. Both are cheaters. McGuire doesn't get NEAR the shiit that Bonds does. Why? Because people are "obsessed with sports" enough for you? No. Bonds was a diick to the media. The media loves to jump on him. He says stupid shiit, McGuire doesn't. - I think that's probably closer to the mark than your 'obsession' angle. But I dunno. It's really interesting to see how frothed at the mouth some guys get over this guy. He's immature, stupid and bipolar, but he doesn't exactly keep me up at night. - He leads the league in drops. That's pisses me off more than the stupid shiit he occasionally says. - But yeah, maybe your just the big sports dude. - The gossip about his reality show is more important than the dropped passes. :doh:

Bonds and McGuire, especially at the end of their careers, were the same player. The difference was that they were different people. McGuire was likeable and pleasant to the media and fans and he therefore got benefit of the doubt. And bear in mind, McGuire never LIED about what he did...he simply opted to answer it. Bonds (and Roger Clemens) lied about it and their lies are what hurts them.

As a fan, and a dad, I stress to my boys that it's about the team. My oldest is far and away the best player on his basketball team, despite being smaller and playing for the first time. He gets mad because his teammates don't do their part the way he thinks they should. I've seen him cover another team's two best players, wearing his butt out in the process, because someone on his team isn't manning up on their guy. When he gets frustrated I tell him that it's a team sport, it's not about him, and that as a good player he needs to find a way to make is teammates better. I teach him not to showboat or hotdog, not to talk smack, and not get too high or too low. TO goes against everything I try and teach my sons. I see TO as a football player who is bad for his team...i don' know him, don't care to know him, don't care about what he does outside of his job unless it relates to football. I know that as a Steeler fan that I want to see my team with good players AND good people and I get extremely disappointed everytime one of them gets in trouble for something. So far as I know, TO hasn't been in trouble, hasn't been jailed and seems to be a decent person away from the game. But his antics in the locker room and on the field drives a dislike for him as a player. Whereas Ray Lewis seems like a great teammate, but obviously has some questionable moral fiber or cloudy personal judgement at a minimum. As a fan, I'd rather see Lewis on my team. As a person, in all honesty, I prefer TO, although I don't like either one that much. But yeah, a guy who contributed to a murder is way worse in the overall scheme than someone who just destroys lockerroom chemistry...no comparison.

I love how Marvin has made you so upset. It gives me pleasure.

It should upset just about anyone that he very likely shot somone, injured an innocent bystander child in the process, and will most likely walk away from it. Anyone with a hint of class, character, or intelligence anyway. The fact that it doesn't upset you says a lot about you.

It should upset just about anyone that he very likely shot somone, injured an innocent bystander child in the process, and will most likely walk away from it. Anyone with a hint of class, character, or intelligence anyway. The fact that it doesn't upset you says a lot about you.

At this point, even if he did shot someone, the guy came in and started a fight with him, maybe Harrison was scared for his life? Maybe the guy said he was going outside to get a gun to come back and shoot Harrision. I mean, if you are going to make stuff up, maybe I can as well.

And your class, character or intelligence commit coming from a NE fan? Priceless!

NE does not need that kind of dissruption.....They don't need TO to get Moss or Welker open more...nor do they need to spend $$ on someone like TO. The spoke with Galloway yesterday.......

:doh:

They need a solid third receiver who will complement their mainstays. They don't need TO. I would much rather they use the money to shore up the defense.

And let me add, blaming the media for his downfall is completely bogus. He's asked for every bit of it. His sick need for attention. He begs the Ed Werder's of the world to cast light on his pathetic personality and when it really starts to rain he throws up his hands and acts like he's under attack. He's 35 years old, he should have learned how to play the game by now.

Did the media make him OD on pain pills? Did the media give him the Lance Armstrong tights to wear while riding a stationary bike on the sidelines during a Parcells practice. Did the media throw Garcia, McNabb, Bledsoe, and Tony Romo under the bus? Was the media screaming at his coaches on the sidelines? The media loves watching talented @ss holes self-destruct, and TO always delivers.

He's made this bed, he can't complain about how uncomfortable it is now.

At this point, even if he did shot someone, the guy came in and started a fight with him, maybe Harrison was scared for his life? Maybe the guy said he was going outside to get a gun to come back and shoot Harrision. I mean, if you are going to make stuff up, maybe I can as well.

And your class, character or intelligence commit coming from a NE fan? Priceless!

I haven't made anything up, I am positing a likely scenario based on FACTS that are known. You, on the other hand, are simply pulling things out of your ass.

I have you on ignore, but for some reason I keep get suckered into responding to you. Your combination of arrogance and stupidity are interesting in a really pathetic sort of way.

And let me add, blaming the media for his downfall is completely bogus. He's asked for every bit of it. His sick need for attention. He begs the Ed Werder's of the world to cast light on his pathetic personality and when it really starts to rain he throws up his hands and acts like he's under attack. He's 35 years old, he should have learned how to play the game by now.

Did the media make him OD on pain pills? Did the media give him the Lance Armstrong tights to wear while riding a stationary bike on the sidelines during a Parcells practice. Did the media throw Garcia, McNabb, Bledsoe, and Tony Romo under the bus? Was the media screaming at his coaches on the sidelines? The media loves watching talented @ss holes self-destruct, and TO always delivers.

He's made this bed, he can't complain about how uncomfortable it is now.

I don't think people are blaming the media, merely pointing out an observation that the media is part of the snowball effect that is T.O. Let's take the last little disruption from him as an example.

The Cowboys are playing poorly and start to lose games. T.O. pouts and possibly points some fingers at Romo looking Wittens way too much. Granted a bad and whiney move on T.O. but it should have just stopped there as crap like that happens on all teams from pee wee to the pro's. Bouldin did it, WR's are notorious for doing it at every level.

But instead of it stopping there (where most of the players involved did not comment further) the media, namely ESPN, ran with it. We had Ed Werder doing bits every half hour. We had in-depth reporting on it. It was over blown and shoved down our throats.

So now T.O., Romo, Witten, Coach, GM, everybody HAS to talk about it because they are constantly asked about it from the media. This creates a snowball that ultimately becomes a big distraction. Should T.O. prolly not have said anything to begin with? Sure. Was it that big of a deal initially? Hell no, the media blew it up.

See how it works? Nobody is blaming the media entirely, but damn do they not feed it to the public and the sheeple eat it up with a spoon then come on message boards saying how much they hate the guy. Meanwhile the less media hyped real problem players fly under the radar. :mad:

I mean, if you are going to make stuff up, maybe I can as well.

Here's the problem. Your shiit IS admittedly made up. The stuff I posted? Isn't.

My take on T.O. by Wiffleball. 35th grade.

First off, I'm not defending T.O. let's be clear about that. However, I do feel badly for the guy to this extent:

Terrell Owens is immature & hugely divisive. Like many of the headcases in the NFL (Moss, Glenn, Owens) he had no father figure in his life. This doesn't get noted enough. I'd love to see someone do a sociology paper on this. The guys I listed are noted for not having a father figure growing up. There has to be a connection there. I'm not saying that single moms all raise crazy kids, but there has to be a connection. The guy never had a Dad to pop him upside the head when he pulled this shiit. Terry Glenn? Jesus, if you know his story, he deserves to be the prototypical headcase WR.

The closest thing these guys have to a father figure is oftentimes their agent. It's not a surprise who many of these guys' agent is: Drew Rosenhaus. You take a kid who is not intelligent, not worldly, has had no OTHER male in their life looking out for them, and it's easy pickings. "Terrell, you're just not being respected. They don't love you, they're just USING YOU for your unbelievable talent. I'm here for you. It is my NUMBER ONE job to look out for YOU." - It's easy to see how this crap happens. If you remember, that's when it started in Philly - when Rosenhaus took over as his agent. Now, there was trouble before. Nothing I list herein is the SOLE reason for Terrel's troubles, but there is no doubt that he is manipulated, even victimized by leaches like Rosenhaus. Owens had a great thing going in Philly. Rosenhaus filled his head with a lot of stupid shiit - and you saw what happened.

Next, Terrell Owens is clearly bipolar. I have people that I love who are bipolar. It's not an insult. It's not a weakness. It's a sickness. It can be managed. There are meds for it. The best thing anybody could do for him is to get him into a treatment faciilty where they could stabilize his meds (takes a bit of experimentation) get him in counseling and get him on track. To my knowledge, nobody's done that. His friends, family, employers and agents take that hit. Mental health is still the big taboo. - Especially in the NFL. And unfortunately, that's the root of a lot of problematic behavior we see.

Last, the media is a pack of jackals. You take that combination above and add in the fact that you have 95 people surrounding you everywhere you go - baiting you, asking you leading questions, just waiting - KNOWING that you'll eventually snap and there WILL be a soundbite. And ESPN lives for that shiit - NEEDS that shiit. All those inane half-hour shows 8 hours a day BEG for content. - And T.O. provides "content". I wonder how well we'd do living like that. If I'm the next owner, Terrel's off limits. - And a gag order is in place for him. May or may not work, but setting him up there to fail is a sure bet he will.

Are there far worse things than being an occasionally bad teammate? GD sure there are. Harrison, Little, Lewis - they don't near the villany, near the scrutiny, near the investigation that Owens does. People can't WAIT for the next story. And unfortunately, when you take all of the above, there will be a next story.

In a lot of ways, I feel badly for the guy. Yeah, he's a millionaire. Yeah, he says some boneheaded things. Yeah, he's got all the money he'll ever need. And yes, he brings much, but not all of this on himself sometimes. Mental health, depression - doesn't give a shiit about your bank account. It's merciless and relentless. I owe my Dad a lot. I can't imagine what I'd be like without him. Terrell never had that. He's surrounded by media, agents and sycophants all living off of him one way or another. Now he's got some jerkoff selling him the idea of a reality show. - The last thing he needs. Seems like the guy doesn't have anyone really looking out for him. Yeah, he's a grown man. So was my brother. Age ain't no bulletproof shield.

Anyhoo, just wanted to get that off my chest. I'll be laughing and busting on him just like the rest of you guys again real soon.

how soon we already forget Harrison's other two incidents

NY Times

PRO FOOTBALL; Harrison Confronts Ball Boy

Published: January 5, 2003

The Jets are looking into a pregame incident involving a Jets ball boy and Colts receiver Marvin Harrison today. Harrison was catching passes from Peyton Manning before warm-ups. Nearby, Jets punter Matt Turk was practicing and the ball boy, Matt Prior, was retrieving balls for him.

Harrison apparently became upset that the punts were sailing near him and Manning, and he confronted Prior, knocking him to the ground, according to Marty Lyons, a former Jet. Lyons, an analyst on the Jets’ radio broadcast, reported that Harrison put his hands on Prior’s neck before security guards ended the confrontation. The Jets confirmed that there was physical contact between Harrison and Prior and said that the league was aware of the incident.

----------------------------------------------

Three boys allege that Marvin Harrison and two other men attacked them

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2005/03/29/news/story3.html

TO takes 1,000,000 times the abuse and hell by fans and media that Harrison ever did.

I don't think people are blaming the media, merely pointing out an observation that the media is part of the snowball effect that is T.O. Let's take the last little disruption from him as an example.

The Cowboys are playing poorly and start to lose games. T.O. pouts and possibly points some fingers at Romo looking Wittens way too much. Granted a bad and whiney move on T.O. but it should have just stopped there as crap like that happens on all teams from pee wee to the pro's. Bouldin did it, WR's are notorious for doing it at every level.

But instead of it stopping there (where most of the players involved did not comment further) the media, namely ESPN, ran with it. We had Ed Werder doing bits every half hour. We had in-depth reporting on it. It was over blown and shoved down our throats.

So now T.O., Romo, Witten, Coach, GM, everybody HAS to talk about it because they are constantly asked about it from the media. This creates a snowball that ultimately a big distraction. Should T.O. prolly not have said anything to begin with? Sure. Was it that big of a deal initially? Hell no, the media blew it up.

See how it works? Nobody is blaming the media entirely, but damn do they not feed it to the public and the sheeple eat it up with a spoon then come on message boards saying how much they hate the guy. Meanwhile the less media hyped real problem players fly under the radar. :mad:

I see where you're coming from, and you are absolutely right the media blew it up...but the man is 35...he's been around this league long enough to know how these things work. If he was still 25 maybe you can give him a pass.

The guy is just flat out frustrating. He's at the point in his career where he should be acting like a leader for a team that needed a leader like a meth addict needs their fix. He should be warning guys like Romo about the pitfalls of being in the public, not calling him out for liking another guy on the team more.

And I know I bash on him a lot, but believe me, I hold guys like Leonard Little, Michael Pittman, Adam Jones and Jerramy Stevens with much more contempt. There's a special place in hell for human waste like them. But not being like those guys is just barely meeting the minimum requirements for being a decent human being.

But you are right that the media should spend more time chastising the actions of players like that.

heh, on another note, Travis Henry is now in jail for failing to pay child support.

That got about 10 seconds of coverage so far.

heh, on another note, Travis Henry is now in jail for failing to pay child support.

That got about 10 seconds of coverage so far.

What about the whole Coke thing?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=does%20owens%20fit

ESPN (FWIW) broke down all the teams by divison and the only places they see TO going is Redskins and Raiders.

Shocking I know.

They both have Black QB's and most of TO's problems weren't with McNabb, but with Rosenhaus convincing him he deserved a new contract. - Just sayin'

thanx

bobby carpenter on espn basically just said that the media and their stories and obsession with it was more the

distraction than TO ever was behind the scenes and things were blown way way out of proportion. they asked him

about 'coming to blows' with witten as reported by Werder and Carpenter said there was friction because they lost

a couple games, but it was handled professionally by all and it didn't happen.

If that's true why are they cutting him then? Just because the media is obsessed with him? :angry:

A 1000yds and 10 TDs is no reason to cut him so if it's not his play.......