Sign in to follow this  
fatguylittlecoat

Vick Is Flying With Philly!

Classy guy for a classy city. :blink:

My thoughts exactly. Armpit of America, meet the armpit of humanity. :pointstosky:

I am VERY happy for vick. He landed in a situation where he could actually end up getting playing time because McNabb has shown he is probably gonna miss at least one game and probably more a year. The team is already used to a pretty mobile qb in McNabb so the line would not have to adjust much and FOCK PETA. Im really suprised AL Davis did not step in and pick him up. Why? Because AL is focking apesh@t bonkers.

As an Eagles fan, I am STUNNED that they signed Vick. That being said, I hope he has 35 rushing/receiving/passing TDs combined this year! :banana: :unsure: :banana:

The sad thing is, the Philly media is just gonna keep feeding fuel to the fan fire, and I don't think Vick is gonna get a chance in this town.

Didn't read the whole thread :unsure:

Was listening to Mike & Mike on the way to work and they mentioned that people were leaving the Eagles/Pats game right after the news broke out that Vick was signed.

Stay tuned for the backlash.....however big or small it will be.

In the Fantasy word he means nothing.

Several years ago when he was with the Falcons, I would not bother drafting him....so why would I now.

Just another weapon for Phili......

I disagree ... in 2006 he had 308 fantasy points... which isn't elite.. but it was quite good

2474 passing yds, 20tds, 13 ints

1039yds rushing and 2tds

I find that very hard to see that he has no fantasy value... thats a excellent #2 qb, and a solid #1

his biggest weeks in the 2006 season were...

Week 2 vs Tampa Bay

92 yards passing, 1 td, 1 int

127 yards rushing, 1td

26.38 fantasy points

Week 7 vs Pittsburgh

232 passing yds, 4tds, 2 ints

40 yards rushing

33.28 fantasy points

Week 8 vs Cincinnati

291yds passing, 3td

55yds rushing

35.14 fantasy points

Week 15 vs Dallas

237yds passing, 4tds 1int

56yds rushing

37.08 fantasy points

now he had some down weeks as well, but looking at games like that its hard to argue that he doesn't have an impact in fantasy football.. and i cant find the rankings of QBs that year but if i remember correctly he was pretty close to the top 5 if not in it... also notable he had 3 games that year with over 100 yards rushing... i mean that is just a cool thing for your qb to have.. and it makes him even more fun to watch... if for some reason he gets significant playing time this year.. he could make an impact in the fantasy world

I disagree ... in 2006 he had 308 fantasy points... which isn't elite.. but it was quite good

1039yds rushing and 2tds

I find that very hard to see that he has no fantasy value... thats a excellent #2 qb, and a solid #1

Week 2 vs Tampa Bay

127 yards rushing, 1td

26.38 fantasy points

Week 7 vs Pittsburgh

40 yards rushing

33.28 fantasy points

Week 8 vs Cincinnati

291yds passing, 3td

55yds rushing

35.14 fantasy points

Week 15 vs Dallas

56yds rushing

37.08 fantasy points

now he had some down weeks as well, but looking at games like that its hard to argue that he doesn't have an impact in fantasy football.. and i cant find the rankings of QBs that year but if i remember correctly he was pretty close to the top 5 if not in it... also notable he had 3 games that year with over 100 yards rushing... i mean that is just a cool thing for your qb to have.. and it makes him even more fun to watch... if for some reason he gets significant playing time this year.. he could make an impact in the fantasy world

Your #'s are not taking in account that he's 2 years removed from playing any football at all. I.E. two years back in the 2007 FF draft, players such as Shaun Alexander,Marvin Harrison, Rudi Johnson, Travis Henry, and Edge were top 15 picks in my 12 team league. They are no longer on an NFL team going into 2009.

Vick might be a decent option for the Eagles, but I doubt he'll have any fantasy relevance at all.

Your #'s are not taking in account that he's 2 years removed from playing any football at all. I.E. two years back in the 2007 FF draft, players such as Shaun Alexander,Marvin Harrison, Rudi Johnson, Travis Henry, and Edge were top 15 picks in my 12 team league. They are no longer on an NFL team going into 2009.

Vick might be a decent option for the Eagles, but I doubt he'll have any fantasy relevance at all.

yea and all those guys are either running backs who were over worked, at the end of their careers, or were too busy being responsible for illegitimate children... Jamal Lewis went to prison for a good bit and came back and made a decent impact...

i am not saying Vick is going to be at the top of the Rankings in the fantasy world come January... i am saying... say mid season McNabb rolls his ankle like he always does .. and sits out a couple of weeks.. they have Vick prepped enough to go in and start to replace him... Vick could easily come in and make a significant impact with the weapons they have in Philly... give the man 2-3 months and he'll be back where he needs to be.. he is an athlete with natural talent.. you don't lose that "natural" talent in 2 years... the things he will need to work on are catching back up to speed with the game, and not making mental mistakes.. but make no mistake if he gets out on the field by mid season he will be juking out defenders like he always has and making plays... which could very easily make a significant impact for a fantasy week or two if you needed a bye week filler or especially if mcnabb went down for the season

the purpose of the #'s was to address the comment made, "In the fantasy world he means nothing", "Several years ago I wouldn't bother drafting him why would I now"... at this point i would say he doesn't mean too much, but come mid season that might change.. and the comment about never bothering with him before was just a lame way of backing up his argument that Vick means nothing in the fantasy world

yea and all those guys are either running backs who were over worked, at the end of their careers, or were too busy being responsible for illegitimate children... Jamal Lewis went to prison for a good bit and came back and made a decent impact...

i am not saying Vick is going to be at the top of the Rankings in the fantasy world come January... i am saying... say mid season McNabb rolls his ankle like he always does .. and sits out a couple of weeks.. they have Vick prepped enough to go in and start to replace him... Vick could easily come in and make a significant impact with the weapons they have in Philly... give the man 2-3 months and he'll be back where he needs to be.. he is an athlete with natural talent.. you don't lose that "natural" talent in 2 years... the things he will need to work on are catching back up to speed with the game, and not making mental mistakes.. but make no mistake if he gets out on the field by mid season he will be juking out defenders like he always has and making plays... which could very easily make a significant impact for a fantasy week or two if you needed a bye week filler or especially if mcnabb went down for the season

the purpose of the #'s was to address the comment made, "In the fantasy world he means nothing", "Several years ago I wouldn't bother drafting him why would I now"... at this point i would say he doesn't mean too much, but come mid season that might change.. and the comment about never bothering with him before was just a lame way of backing up his argument that Vick means nothing in the fantasy world

Well of course if McNaab is injured and Vick becomes the QB, he gains fantasy relevance simply because he'll be a starting NFL QB at that point. However, being away from football for so long is bound to make his already suspect QB skills worse and who knows if his true talent (running the ball) will be up to par anymore. Football conditioning and muscle memory/coordination is a lot different than lifting weights during your yard time in prison.

Didn't read the whole thread :headbanger:

Was listening to Mike & Mike on the way to work and they mentioned that people were leaving the Eagles/Pats game right after the news broke out that Vick was signed.

Depending on when they announced this, it is not uncommon for people to leave pre-season games early.

Well of course if McNaab is injured and Vick becomes the QB, he gains fantasy relevance simply because he'll be a starting NFL QB at that point. However, being away from football for so long is bound to make his already suspect QB skills worse and who knows if his true talent (running the ball) will be up to par anymore. Football conditioning and muscle memory/coordination is a lot different than lifting weights during your yard time in prison.

oh i agree completely... the whole basis of my argument was that someone said Vick had never made a fantasy impact... i don't think he will be making much of one this year at all either.. but i do think if he got a chance to get on the field he could be pretty significant

and it will be fun as heck to watch if the eagles go out there with two QB sets and do some things we have never seen before because of the talent Mcnabb/Vick passing/running could offer.. don't know if that will happen ever.. but could you imagine that hah?

Vick lines up to the left center, Mcnabb on the right center.. don't know which guy they are going to hike the ball to... ball is hiked to Vick.. Vick rolls out to the left hard.. turns around throws it back to McNair... McNair bombs it down field to Desean Jackson for 65 yards.. EASY touchdown... defense didn't know what to expect from Vick... and if they hadn't put to much pressure on him.. he would just run it for a first down... would be crazy to see what they can do with the Wildcat

My thoughts exactly. Armpit of America, meet the armpit of humanity. :clap:

:lol: :headbanger:

i thought i couldnt hate the eagles more. i was wrong.

Why is this getting so much hype? Vick is a terrible QB. Look at his stats. And he's spent two years in jail away from football. He couldn't read a defence before, how will he now? This is a bad move for a team that looked like a contender. It will be a circus all year and a distraction for the team. You don't think peta nut-jobs will be protesting every Eagle game? And what about the Eagle players? I'm sure lots of them hate Vick for what he did too.

I see no upside to this move. Vick is a terrible QB, so he's not a good backup for McNabb. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to go and review his stats. And I don't mean winning %. Vince Young had a good winning percentage when he entered the league too. They've got DeSean Jackson to run the wildcat already. This is a bone-headed move that will likely cost them a shot at the superbowl in a tough conference.

Vick's gonna be on their 53 man roster. Guaranteed. Pretty savy move by the Eagles. Now if McNabb gets hurt they have a good QB that can step in.

I dont know about good, but hes a guy who can be good.

the signing makes sense on many levels. Vick plays the style that McNabb played early in his career, and if anyone can Mentor him to improve the passing side of his game, it would be McNabb.

With the injury to Kolb, and the age of McNabb I do believe that Vick sees an opportunity to jump in with a good organization and learn a lot of things.

I thought he was going to want to be a starter, but I get the impression he wasnt offered a starting gig anywhere. So this may well be the second best option.

Also as a backup he is ideal, his running style will throw some teams off, so when he comes in it may throw a defense into disarray. Whether that be as a wildcat QB or otherwise.

Why is this getting so much hype? Vick is a terrible QB. Look at his stats. And he's spent two years in jail away from football. He couldn't read a defence before, how will he now? This is a bad move for a team that looked like a contender. It will be a circus all year and a distraction for the team. You don't think peta nut-jobs will be protesting every Eagle game? And what about the Eagle players? I'm sure lots of them hate Vick for what he did too.

I see no upside to this move. Vick is a terrible QB, so he's not a good backup for McNabb. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to go and review his stats. And I don't mean winning %. Vince Young had a good winning percentage when he entered the league too. They've got DeSean Jackson to run the wildcat already. This is a bone-headed move that will likely cost them a shot at the superbowl in a tough conference.

stats don't tell the whole story... when Vick was healthy the Falcons were always playoff contenders and usually had a good chance of making it to the superbowl... not to mention he is one of the most exciting players in the nfl to watch because you never know what kind of crazy play you might see that turns into a touchdown

the signing makes sense on many levels. Vick plays the style that McNabb played early in his career, and if anyone can Mentor him to improve the passing side of his game, it would be McNabb.

With the injury to Kolb, and the age of McNabb I do believe that Vick sees an opportunity to jump in with a good organization and learn a lot of things.

I thought he was going to want to be a starter, but I get the impression he wasnt offered a starting gig anywhere. So this may well be the second best option.

Also as a backup he is ideal, his running style will throw some teams off, so when he comes in it may throw a defense into disarray. Whether that be as a wildcat QB or otherwise.

great points.. especially the one about McNabb mentoring him to become a better passer.. who wouldn't want to learn from the guy who has best pass attempt to interception ratio in NFL history

Vick lines up to the left center, Mcnabb on the right center.. don't know which guy they are going to hike the ball to... ball is hiked to Vick.. Vick rolls out to the left hard.. turns around throws it back to McNair... McNair bombs it down field to Desean Jackson for 65 yards.. EASY touchdown... defense didn't know what to expect from Vick... and if they hadn't put to much pressure on him.. he would just run it for a first down... would be crazy to see what they can do with the Wildcat

You don't need Michael Vick to run an awkward gadget play. Particularly one involving a dead guy.

That said, it's a decent pickup. He can be a backup who occasionally sees the field if the offense is stuck in a rut. I don't see him doing a lot this year, though.

1039yds rushing and 2tds

Week 2 vs Tampa Bay

127 yards rushing, 1td

26.38 fantasy points

Week 7 vs Pittsburgh

40 yards rushing

33.28 fantasy points

Week 8 vs Cincinnati

291yds passing, 3td

55yds rushing

35.14 fantasy points

Week 15 vs Dallas

56yds rushing

37.08 fantasy points

Could you please check his stats against 2 for the worst teams in football that year...the Lions and the Browns? 2 games the Falcons needed to win that year. after a 6-2 start.

Didn't read the whole thread :doublethumbsup:

As usual, Mike and Mike are clueless.

People were leaving the game because the starters were done for the nite.

You don't need Michael Vick to run an awkward gadget play. Particularly one involving a dead guy.

That said, it's a decent pickup. He can be a backup who occasionally sees the field if the offense is stuck in a rut. I don't see him doing a lot this year, though.

One thing that was brought up wat that he could be a real effective red zone weapon.

The Eagles had trouble in the red zone last year (hell, had trouble last nite), and Vick would give them another option to consider.

Just a thought.

who said you did?? i was just excited about the thought of michael vick and donovan mcnabb on the field at the same time... my bad "mr.i need a reason to argue"

Could you please check his stats against 2 for the worst teams in football that year...the Lions and the Browns? 2 games the Falcons needed to win that year. after a 6-2 start.

the point of that post was to show that he has had fantasy value in the past... not to examine which games he did poorly in.. and still in those games

Week 9 vs DET

163yds passing, 1td, 2ints

80yds rushing, 1 lost fumble

14.52 fantasy points

Week 10 vs CLE

197yds passing, 1td, 2ints

74 rushing, 1 lost fumble

15.28 fantasy points

not strong outings, but his ability to run saved both those weeks and turned them into a sub par performance instead of a disaster... are you referring to the fact that he ruined the falcons playoff hopes? or that those were bad fantasy weeks?

It was a pretty silly gadget play. No one really does that; people go in motion and one QB will split out wide, but you almost never have a question about who's receiving the snap at the moment it's hiked. Ineffective for spacing and you generally end up with a useless guy in the backfield unless you plan on having a QB pass-protect. It is highly unlikely that Vick would be used in the fashion you lay out there. As a runner, or as the QB with McNabb split out, sure.

It was a pretty silly gadget play. No one really does that; people go in motion and one QB will split out wide, but you almost never have a question about who's receiving the snap at the moment it's hiked. Ineffective for spacing and you generally end up with a useless guy in the backfield unless you plan on having a QB pass-protect. It is highly unlikely that Vick would be used in the fashion you lay out there. As a runner, or as the QB with McNabb split out, sure.

yea most likely not.. was just hypothetical thinking.... since Vick is such an athlete and people are always joking about how he is basically a running back that plays QB

I can't fathom the Vick signing. The media will be micro-covering this story all season long. There will be protesters in the parking lot and in the stands, especially at away games. Players will get tired of answering endless questions about their new friend. Felonies aside, Mr Mexico has shown shaky judgment in the past and, despite the declarations of contrition, is at risk for futher adverse publicity. His skills have likely eroded after an extended absence from the game. He's quick to get hurt, and his mobile style of play makes the injuries affect him more. He has never mastered the short-to-intermediate passing game and likely never will. If the Eagles start slowly, there will be interminable discussion on ESPN and the NFL Network about whether Vick's presence is negative and divisive. The risks far outweigh the potential rewards.

The Eagles have accomplished subtraction by addition. For me, the only plus in it is that the Packers won't be adding Vick to the roster, at least until Philly releases him.

Dog owner here. Can't stand Michael Vick for what he did. But I believe in 2nd chances and redemption and if he has the ability to play in the NFL and he's done his time it would be UNAMERICAN to hold him out. He's been punished much worse than most people who get convicted of crimes. Not everyone loses 10's of millions of dollars. He's been abused by the public, lost all his money and will catch abuse the rest of his life.

I think the guy deserves a 2nd chance.

I think Philly is crazy to bring in another QB.

I think Carolina should have signed him.

He'll fail as a part time player. He'll succeed if he ever starts again.

Dog owner here. Can't stand Michael Vick for what he did. But I believe in 2nd chances and redemption and if he has the ability to play in the NFL and he's done his time it would be UNAMERICAN to hold him out. He's been punished much worse than most people who get convicted of crimes. Not everyone loses 10's of millions of dollars. He's been abused by the public, lost all his money and will catch abuse the rest of his life.

I think the guy deserves a 2nd chance.

I think Philly is crazy to bring in another QB.

I think Carolina should have signed him.

He'll fail as a part time player. He'll succeed if he ever starts again.

Well, there are certainly other clubs that probably needed him more (Minnesota, and possibly Carolina) but they obviously didnt show enough interest.

either way, Vick will likely be a starter somewhere before the end of his contract. Philly may end up trading him to a team in need of a QB or may start him if McNabb gets hurt. If that's the case they still improved their team because Vick didnt cost them anything other than his salary.

Well, there are certainly other clubs that probably needed him more (Minnesota, and possibly Carolina) but they obviously didnt show enough interest.

either way, Vick will likely be a starter somewhere before the end of his contract. Philly may end up trading him to a team in need of a QB or may start him if McNabb gets hurt. If that's the case they still improved their team because Vick didnt cost them anything other than his salary.

And if he doesn't work out, or if some other team shows need and require his services, he could always go else where:

It's all on Vick's shoulders now. Jeff Lurie, the owner of the team, was very up front with the media when he spoke about the situation:

Owner Jeffrey Lurie, an acknowledged dog lover, had some harsh comments for Vick’s actions, calling them horrific and not meeting the basic standards of human decency. Lurie made a 14-minute opening statement, detailing his feelings.

"His legend, he will be successful if he can diminish the level of animal cruelty and that's it," Lurie said. "If he is not proactive, he will not be on the team, because that is part of the agreement."

Lurie also tried to look forward. He described a lot of soul searching and a long meeting with he and Vick. Lurie said it was the first he had been so involved in the process of signing a player.

“My hope as we go forward is Michael will prove his value in society,” Lurie said. “Whether he becomes a good football player again, it’s possible. He’s got an opportunity to become a good member of society. That’s the goal here.”

“My hope as we go forward is Michael will prove his value in society,” Lurie said. “Whether he becomes a good football player again, it’s possible. He’s got an opportunity to become a good member of society. That’s the goal here.

Yeah, right! I would give Lurie the Humanitarian of the Year Award.

Yeah, right! I would give Lurie the Humanitarian of the Year Award.

Of course the guy's gonna spin it positive, because he's really put alot on the line here.

Ad dollars and luxury/club box revenues can go right down the drain if this fails.

As a fan, I don't really mind the move, but I don't understand why the club would assume all this public and financial risk against a reward that will be very minimal at best.

My thoughts exactly. Armpit of America, meet the armpit of humanity. :pointstosky:

I love the Aholes that are "better then you", and label millions of fans covering 1000s of square miles and several Counties....because of a few drunk aholes.

"We don't have fans ike that". :wall:

Fock You.

Of course the guy's gonna spin it positive, because he's really put alot on the line here.

Ad dollars and luxury/club box revenues can go right down the drain if this fails.

As a fan, I don't really mind the move, but I don't understand why the club would assume all this public and financial risk against a reward that will be very minimal at best.

but how many people are dumb enough to buy this? I find it insulting.

but how many people are dumb enough to buy this? I find it insulting.

Well, I think there are people who already have their minds made up, that this guy cannot redeem himself, and no matter what, he's not welcome in Philly. I've already heard it from a bunch of people who feel that way.

I do hold out hope that he can turn this into a positive, teachable type of experience. What's done is done, it cannot be changed, and the guy has an uphill battle to fight.

Remains to be seen if he's up to the task, but he does deserve a shot.

Well, I think there are people who already have their minds made up, that this guy cannot redeem himself, and no matter what, he's not welcome in Philly. I've already heard it from a bunch of people who feel that way.

I do hold out hope that he can turn this into a positive, teachable type of experience. What's done is done, it cannot be changed, and the guy has an uphill battle to fight.

I have alot of respect for the Philadelphia organization to give this man a second chance. As you know, I am no fan of the Eagles, but they will be interesting to watch. I hope he does well. Hell, Imagine if Philadelphia wins the Super Bowl and Vick is a big reason why? Stranger things have happened.

I am not talking about Vick, I am talking about Lurie's statement that their goal is to make Vick a "good member of society".

I have really mixed feelings about this.

Football-wise, Vick's only role with the Eagles is as a QB for a handful of Wildcat plays per game. Maybe the team thinks Kolb hasn't developed the way they wanted (who could blame them?) and Vick provides a little extra insurance in that regard. So we're talking about a guy two years removed from football who at best gets about 5 offensive snaps per game. Is he really that much better than say Desean Jackson, who they used in the Wildcat formation last year, that it's worth dealing with this kind of PR headache?

My guess is probably not. I'm sure Vick can help them nominally in some way but he wasn't a very good quarterback before leaving the game for two years and I think his contribution will be minimal. From a fantasy football perspective I don't think he hurts McNabb or anyone on the Eagles at all. For all we know the time away from football irreparably hurt Vick's game. As of right now he's a nobody.

As an Eagles fan I'm more baffled than anything. There are guys around the league who've killed people drunk driving and deliberately hit cops with their cars so I suppose Vick deserves his shot. I just never expected it'd be here in Philly and I don't know how I feel about it.

This will definitely be the most discusses subject in the league this season that doesn't end up even mattering.

I think I need Favre to change his mind again so I can hear about something else.