Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Round 4 Commentary

After seeing what's transpired, I wish I could have my last pick back. Still some good RBs on the board, while the receivers are becoming pretty pedestrian. I was hoping A. Gonzalez would make it back to me. Dude should be solid this year. Nice pick.

It's hard to read the Denver situation right now. It just feels like there isn't a sturdy foundation with the team and once they start losing, it could get really ugly. I don't trust Marshall to play like a professional. He's got a lot of Moss in him, and if he's not happy, he'll pout while performing at like 40%. Obviously he's playing for a contract next year.....for another team. But I just don't think he holds up throughout the season the way things are going right now. And if he ends up in NYC, who knows what will happen. Hell, the guy had difficulty staying outta trouble in Denver freaking Colorado.

If Marshall is acting up, that puts a lot of pressure on Royal. Can he handle it? I don't think he plays against DeAngelo this year, and without Marshall at 100% across from him, it'll be alot easier for opposing defenses to cover him.

Both players have tremendous potential, but the situation in Denver scares me. I don't think I'd touch those guys in the third round.

it is starting to feel a little like the IBL, thats for sure

touche Vikes. nice payback. will pick in a few min

As nice as Chris Johnson and DeAngelo Williams are, if I had to do it over again, I would have taken Calvin Johnson in the 1st, Williams in the 2nd, Marshall in the 3rd, and one of 2 remaining RBs in the 4th.

Not a fan of 85, but he's better than what else was left on the board at WR.

Tough call for me between Thomas and another back. and it might not be the guy you would expect :doublethumbsup:

he should have 250+ carries this year and all the goal line work. Plus he can catch the ball but any receptions are just an added bonus.

Tough call for me between Thomas and another back. and it might not be the guy you would expect :doublethumbsup:

he should have 250+ carries this year and all the goal line work. Plus he can catch the ball but any receptions are just an added bonus.

I figured this was the guy NAn spoke of earlier as the treat of the week. This guy is REAL and White Wonder just GUTTED ME! I wanted Thomas in the 3rd and figured I would try to slide him one round. I almsot made it. I love White Wonders start in the draft!

Smith was not the guy i was debating on when i chose Pierre. Thats not a knock on Smith.

You were right on with me talking about Pierre (as early as a round ago) as they sexy pick I considered.

One thing is he's been climbing up draftboards of late, seeing him go as early as early 3rd, sometimes late 2nd.

Other thing was saw dropoff for wrs after colston so was set on him and if I got frenchy then I'd have 2 saints...not really a bad thing what with that offense being a monster and defense not so good, but a concern.

Like him this year as mid 3rd rnd value though, so had to go with portis, but great value in early 4th IMO...saints made semi-commitment to him last 6 games or so and kid responded. even at the 16-18 carries he was getting that would work out to 250-275 carries.

Nice.

And really a couple guys were looking at Anthony Gonzales this early...I like the kid, but the colts slipped to middle of nfl in scoring/yds last year after being top3 previous 5 seasons. See that trend continuing a bit so don't like him this early.

I've seen Jacobs go as early as mid 2nd, though I think his value is more mid-late 3rd so solid where clash took him...he'd have to slide to somewhere similar before I'd take him. He's great...when he plays, and who knows how often that'll be. Solid pick there though if you like him to stay healthy.

Nice pick V4E. OC was the guy I had queued up next. He's kinda hard to root for, 'cause he's a freak, but he should do well this year.

And kudos to you WW. I actually had typed 'Pierre' when I had my third pick. The reason I swirved at the last second was I'm not exactly sure how he'll be used in NO. I think it's obvious he's a much better all around back than you know who, but will Payton use him as such? The guy has top 10...maybe even top 5 potential, but can he get the ball enough to warrant that kind of production? There's a lot of weapons in NO, and they're not exactly a run first team. Plus, I assume if everyone is healthy, the dump offs/swing passes won't always go to Pierre. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love what he's capable of, I'm just beginning to question if I'm looking objectively at his situation.

And the fact that I heard Mathew Berry pimp Pierre this morning on ESPN kinda ruined him for me.

:dunno:

I see no reason why ole Roy can't catch 75-80 balls for a grande and 9 or 10 TD's. Should be a good redzone target. Solid WR2. :thumbsup:

And Smith/Pierre represent the last of the RBs I'd be comfortable with as an RB2.

Me too. I was REALLY hoping Smith would fall to me. I took a gamble when going WR in round 3. I feel ok about Lynch, but will definitely need to try and cuff, or grab a RB3 ASAP. We'll see how this unfolds...

Roy as a number 2 is solid here....think he's proven suited better as a number 2 than an FF teams' number 1.

Thought it was just an outside chance he'd get back to me but really like Desean this year.

Think he is this year's breakout wr.

I don't like my Bush pick. Not at all. But I had no choice. There was no one left that I really liked a 4.9. And when that happens, that's when you take a chance on someone like Bush.

Can't say I'm a Bush fan either.

A PPR league gives him a little bump, but his injury history, combined with his lack of yardage, just don't make him worth a pick generally.

Can't say I'm a Bush fan either.

A PPR league gives him a little bump, but his injury history, combined with his lack of yardage, just don't make him worth a pick generally.

You know, while I kinda agree with you that Bush leaves a bad taste in your mouth (giggle), in PPR it's not a little bump, it's a ginormous bump. The little injury scare last week or so turned out to be nothing really.

I like the pick for you Riceman. :thumbsup: Almost took him a few picks ago, but couldn't risk having both S-Jax and Bush in the same backfield. I can only stomach one injury risk at a time.

RLLD on in evenings?

I'm west coast so early for me so if he's around and picks I could make mine and we could run with rnd 5.

Busy night, just getting caught up

Im a little surprised with the Roy and DeSean picks. Not downing on them but maybe just a little early for my liking.

And Bush is off the board so I can now say that he was actually the other RB I was struggling with at 4.4 when I chose Pierre. Thats right, I was debating between 2 backs on the same damn team. Thats what the prospect of 80 receptions from a healthy Reggie Bush can do to you.

In the end I just don't think I trust his knees. 2 surgeries in the past 9 or so months, one being microfracture. I decided Pierre has a pretty clearly defined role in the Saints run game. He is going to get his scores and should get his yards. Any receptions while Reggie is healthy is just a bonus and if Reggie goes down, look out.

The hardest part about my Bush decision was that I was pretty damn high on Pierre this season. I have a feeling that he will be able to run and catch the ball..making Bush unnecessary in the offence

Rodgers has consistently gone ahead of Rivers but not sure why.

Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is solid at this point and like him this year...just behind Rivers, not ahead of him.

Rivers had 34 pass tds, most in league tied with Brees.

Rodgers finished ahead in ff pts but due to 4 rush tds, which I don't see happening again.

I really like the Rodgers pick . .. an V4E, this is why I was placing Tony Gonzalaz in the middle of the 4th. I was thinking about Aaron Rodgers, who was another target that I was considering at the point. I almost went with him instead of WR. Oh, boy, was it tempting.

Im a little surprised with the Roy picks. Not downing on them but maybe just a little early for my liking.

Roy's ADP is 4.06. And that's in non-ppr leagues. I took him 4.07. I just looked and the Mikes have him ranked as the 12th WR overall. Not that they are anymore special than anyone else, but just saying. I took him as the 18th WR taken so it's not like it was a reach whatsoever. He has a good QB, is the number one WR on a decent to good offense and is a big redzone target. The little wrist injury suffered a few weeks ago is said to be nothing to worry about and shouldn't effect him. He's been a #1 target before and is up to the task. Was underutilized last year due to forcing the ball to T.O. and the 'drama'. Like I said, I see no reason he doesn't catch 80 balls for a 1050 and 9 TD's. Nothing spectacular, but very solid as a WR2. I actually think he and TJ Housh will have similar numbers this year. :music_guitarred:

Im a little surprised with the Roy and DeSean picks. Not downing on them but maybe just a little early for my liking.

There wasn't anyone else that much more appealing than DeSean at 4.08 for me. He's the first option in the passing game, of a pass first, pass often offense. He posted good numbers as a rookie, and by all accounts has been lighting it up during training camp. There's plenty of opporutnity for him to shine this year. The one drawback I see with him is that he is not a solid redzone target, and will need to score from some pretty lengthy distances. Then again, the receivers at this stage of the draft all carry some serious questions with them, so I'm willing to go with a guy on a solid offense who has pretty good upside.

4.04 - RB Kevin Smith, DET

The worst and best parts about this pick is the fact that this is the Lions we are talking about. If/when this team gets behind, Smith is a part of the solution thru the passing game and not one of those backs who disappear ala Turner, Peterson, and Jacobs. He had a fine rookie campaign and he and Calvin are poised to be the offense. I have Kevin slated for 1,500 yards combined, with 45 receptions, and 10 TD's. I would have liked Pierre here, but the difference in projected fantasy production was minimal. He is aided by ppr and the fact that they will have to pull out the stops to win ball games.

After scanning the draft, the only pick that really stands out in my mind is Brandon Jacobs in the 4th round. I was surprised to find little to no commentary on why this draft had him fall this far.

After scanning the draft, the only pick that really stands out in my mind is Brandon Jacobs in the 4th round. I was surprised to find little to no commentary on why this draft had him fall this far.

He went very early 4th (second pick). Just behind Portis/Grant and infront of Thomas/Kevin Smith. It's PPR and all. Is Jacobs not in the Portis/Grant/Pierre Thomas teir?

its PPR format and hes not very durable. I wouldn't have been shocked to see him go earlier but Im certainly not shocked to see him fall right where he did.

Hey, whatsup doc?