Sign in to follow this  
columbuscft

Overtime is lame in NFL!

Yeah, that'd work great in the playoffs, McNabb. :rolleyes:

bonehead comment of the thread :lol:

the college system sucks. I wont say the NFL system is perfect but for those saying "you win the toss, you win the game" then I ask, why isn't every team scoring everytime they get the ball?

I understand you only need to dirve yourself into FG position, but punting happens all the time during regulation... why is this any different?

As far as college OT, team A can fail to score and team B can win by kicking a FG.... pretty gay

the simple solution is each team gets a possession, with kickoff. personally, i hate watching a good game ended in OT with a FG on 1st down.

personally, i hate watching a good game ended in OT with a FG on 1st down.

i agree, which is why I wont say the NFL system is perfect but its still better than college when a team can fail to score and the opponent will kick a FG on first down also. But in the college situation, they don't even have to put together a drive since they start out on the 25.

My main argument on behalf of the current NFL overtime rule is that during the course of regulation, teams are not scoring 100% of the time. This automatically discredits people claiming that winning the coin toss, wins the game. If you lose the toss and you wan't a shot at the ball and the win, stop them on defense. Its fairly simple and something teams do multiple times during regulaton.

i agree, which is why I wont say the NFL system is perfect but its still better than college when a team can fail to score and the opponent will kick a FG on first down also. But in the college situation, they don't even have to put together a drive since they start out on the 25.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why doesn't the first team that fails score, decide not to kick a field goal?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Why doesn't the first team that fails score, decide not to kick a field goal?

its a coaching decision for sure... perhaps they drive it to the 1 or 2 yards line and simply can't punch it in. They feel like their D won't be able to stop the opposing O so a FG won't do them any good... Im not sure why but plenty of College OT games have been decided this way

its a coaching decision for sure... perhaps they drive it to the 1 or 2 yards line and simply can't punch it in. They feel like their D won't be able to stop the opposing O so a FG won't do them any good... Im not sure why but plenty of College OT games have been decided this way

Just because a coach makes a bonehead decision not go for the sure points, doesn't mean it's any less fair.

Just because a coach makes a bonehead decision not go for the sure points, doesn't mean it's any less fair.

actually i never said it wasn't "fair", i simply said it was gay. People feel that ending the game by winning a coin toss and driving down the field to kick the game winner is anti climactic... Well, in college a FG can decide the game and guess what? they don't even need to drive down the field.

the stats supporting all the whiners are irrelevant.

The bottom line is BOTH teams know what's at stake. If a team doesn't want to lose the game after losing the coin toss, stop the offense. It's that simple. If the defense can't stop the offense, they deserve to lose.

Saw Colin Cowherd say this on tv this am and it's about the simplest way of putting it:

"You don't lose the game with the coin toss; your defense loses the game for you."

Furthermore, I really don't see how people have much of an argument that winning the coin toss means you win the game.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/945-...-ot-rules-alone

"Sudden death is a good procedure. It's fun and everyone knows the rules," McKay said. "I would like to see the stats change because I don't like the fact that the team winning the coin flip now wins 60 percent of the time, and the team winning the coin flip 40-plus percent of the time wins it on the first possession."

I would politely like to take issue with McKay's assessment of the stats. It is true that in 2008, 46.7 percent of regular-season overtime games (seven of 15) were decided by a field goal on the first possession. But this past season was an anomaly. From 2004-07, no more than four games in any season were decided by an OT-opening FG, no more than five in any season by an OT-opening score.

If the team that wins the coin toss is only winning between 40 and 50% on their first posession, that means the other team is getting at least 1 crack at offense more than half the time, and in previous seasons it was even more often. So where is the problem?

I am not a fan of either teams. If you don't want to go to lose in overtime, or want to avoid overtime entirely. Play better defense. Sick of all the "poor me" overtime talk.

I like it most of the time, but being a Titans fan I hated it last night. Our defense was already tired at the end of the game, and losing the toss was devastating.

I still think it's the best system out there though. A team needs to be able to rely on their defense to make a stop when it counts. Whether that's at the end of the game or in overtime it doesn't matter.

There are 4 quarters of regulation - which begin on a coin toss BTW - where each team has its "fair" share of chances to win the game.

If neither team is able to stand out, if neither team can pull ahead, as in those reaching Overtime - you need Sudden Death.

The whole point, as I said earlier, is to end the game in a fashion which the previous "fair" quarters could not.

Giving each team MORE possessions, MORE chances, in Overtime, on principle, is just extending the same nonsense of regulation.

Don't want to face Sudden Death? Good, play harder in the 4th quarter. Or the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters. Overtime is perfect as-is.

There are 4 quarters of regulation - which begin on a coin toss BTW - where each team has its "fair" share of chances to win the game.

If neither team is able to stand out, if neither team can pull ahead, as in those reaching Overtime - you need Sudden Death.

The whole point, as I said earlier, is to end the game in a fashion which the previous "fair" quarters could not.

Giving each team MORE possessions, MORE chances, in Overtime, on principle, is just extending the same nonsense of regulation.

Don't want to face Sudden Death? Good, play harder in the 4th quarter. Or the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarters. Overtime is perfect as-is.

>>Amen

Play harder? What position do you play, slugger? :shocking:

Play harder? What position do you play, slugger? :shocking:

the one that doesn't pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to play harder :angry:

Play harder? What position do you play, slugger? :first:

if a NFL player cannot play harder, and still gets beat - he deserves to lose. This is not pop warner. This is not a league where everyone gets a trophy no matter what. Each team gets at least 10 or 11 possessions during regulation. Can't get it done, overtime is what both teams deserve. Sick of whiners complaining about overtime. PLAY BETTER.

if a NFL player cannot play harder, and still gets beat - he deserves to lose. This is not pop warner. This is not a league where everyone gets a trophy no matter what. Each team gets at least 10 or 11 possessions during regulation. Can't get it done, overtime is what both teams deserve. Sick of whiners complaining about overtime. PLAY BETTER.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? As, a viewer and a fan, all I want is the fairest most satisfying conclusion to a close game and sudden death ain't it. Feel free to have your own opinion but people who calling the current system "perfect" are on crack.

Saw Colin Cowherd say this on tv this am and it's about the simplest way of putting it:

"You don't lose the game with the coin toss; your defense loses the game for you."

He's one of the last people on the face of the Earth I'd ever quote in a sports debate.

They could either play a shortened OT period (10 min), played just like regulation, or mix the NFL and College systems. They could use the back-and-forth format of the College OT, but make teams kick off. No coin toss, road team gets first possession. By making teams kick off, field position becomes very important. My biggest problem with the College system is that it basically eliminates Special Teams from the game. In this mixed system, both teams would get a possession, and both teams would have to execute on offense, defense, and special teams to win the game.

How so?? Especially in shoot-out type games, the entire fate of games, and sometimes seasons, rests in the fate of a cointoss?!?!?!?!? Imagine that for a minute.

Tell that to Peyton Manning and the Colts who never stepped foot on the field in OT last playoffs against the Chargers b/c the Bolts won the coin toss.

Overtime should give both teams equal opportunities, not the flip of a coin. College at least gives both teams equal chance. I think ideally, in the NFL, you'd start from say the 50 yard line, and each score you have to go for 2...I cant imagine that would last more than 1 or 2 times through...and at least both teams (Offenses & Defenses) are given an equal playing field to determine the winner.

If you cannot take care of business and win the game in the regulation 60 minutes then by all means a coin flip is a fair way to determine fate. They had fate in their hands for 60 minutes and nothing to show for it.

College and Pro ball should both have the same system. I think the college system was influenced by what high schools were doing.

My overtime...

Both teams get the ball on offense once.

After that, whoever is ahead wins, or whoever scores next wins.

-IF- One team gets the ball and goes on some 14minute drive, the game will continue into another quarter as long as the other

team is still on their 1st overtime possession. If it's tied after that possession, it ends in a tie.

-IF- both teams have their one possession and after 1 quarter it's still tied, it ends in a tie.

I wouldn't be opposed to making 2 point conversions mandatory either.

also by the way they need to seriously change the replay rules and do it like college where every play all game is reviewed.

They buzz the field, take 30 secs, tell the official the decision, and it's done.

In the NFL, it takes a minute for the coach to throw the flag and argue on the field while the refs try to splain the call, then

90 secs(which is more like 2 mins) to review it, then another minute to run out and reorganize everything.

just have an all game booth review and give each coach 1 review.

for those of you saying no whiners and play defense, just honestly answer this one question:

Does the coin flip in overtime have any bearing on who ultimately wins the game?

Give me an honest answer.

Having a coin flip have a bearing on who wins and loses is just idiotic. I know many of you will say stop someone on defense if you want to win, and you are right, but, even so, you have to admit that the coin flip is a factor.

Let them each get 1 guaranteed possession and then sudden death after that.

But they were guaranteed a possession ... for FOUR QUARTERS! OT should just be that, SUDDEN DEATH. So a team is granted a 7% more of a chance to win? So what, end it already ...

FR

PS. I liked two things the "other" league did ... 1) player started at own 20 and on whistle first to get the ball at the 50 wins the "toss" and 2) stripper cheerleaders ... the inventor of this league was ALMOST a genius!!

I suppose the current overtime rules are favored due to the simplicity. I think a little tweaking of the rules would make it perfect. Imagine that Team A and Team B have finished regulation tied. They then go out for the coin toss.

Team A wins the toss and can

A. score a touchdown to win the game.

B. turn the ball over to the other team following a possession. A score (field goal, touchdown, etc. ) by either team now wins the game.

C. kick a field goal but then must kick off to Team B. Team B must then score a touchdown on its next possession to win. They cannot tie the game with a field goal.

These rules give an advantage to the team that wins the coin toss while preventing first drive field goals to win. C. would certainly make overtime much more exciting. Who doesn't like watching a team forced to go for it on fourth down?

All I know is the college system sucks. Special teams are a part of football. Putting together a drive is a part of football. By the way it's not "fair" either. The team that gets the ball second has an advantage because if the first team misses it's fieldgoal or doesn't score, the other team can play ultra-conservative and just kick their chip shot after everyone walked down the field and put them in position to score.

Sh!t reminds me of tee ball.

Would any of you watch football if they just alternated possessions from the 25 over and over until each team got 15 or whatever? It's very unsatisfying and arbitrary. Might as well have a tug-o-war at the end to see who wins.

for those of you saying no whiners and play defense, just honestly answer this one question:

Does the coin flip in overtime have any bearing on who ultimately wins the game?

according to the statistics, not really. If you scroll up to one of my earlier posts I put a nifty link to a writer for the Jets where he goes over some numbers and the amount of time that the coin toss winning team wins the game is 60% but only 47% of the time do they win it on their opening drive. This means more than half the time, the team that loses the coin toss gets a shot on offense anyway. Also, these numbers were for 2008 and were much higher than the %'s from 04-07.

so while it may not be the perfect system, its not as broken as people who are against it, want you to believe. Perhaps there is a better way but adopting the college system is not the right answer.

I suppose the current overtime rules are favored due to the simplicity. I think a little tweaking of the rules would make it perfect. Imagine that Team A and Team B have finished regulation tied. They then go out for the coin toss.

Team A wins the toss and can

A. score a touchdown to win the game.

B. turn the ball over to the other team following a possession. A score (field goal, touchdown, etc. ) by either team now wins the game.

C. kick a field goal but then must kick off to Team B. Team B must then score a touchdown on its next possession to win. They cannot tie the game with a field goal.

These rules give an advantage to the team that wins the coin toss while preventing first drive field goals to win. C. would certainly make overtime much more exciting. Who doesn't like watching a team forced to go for it on fourth down?

I actually like this scenario...

Best overtime system would be winner is first team to be up by four (or more). If it gets to the end of the overtime period with no one going up by four, then whoever is winning wins. If it's still a tie, it's a tie.

Best overtime system would be winner is first team to be up by four (or more). If it gets to the end of the overtime period with no one going up by four, then whoever is winning wins. If it's still a tie, it's a tie.

Win by four? What is this, tennis?

Each team has a 50-50 chance at the toss, right? Then your team certainly gets an opportunity to play; be it defense, offense or special teams.

Sudden death works... the last thing any NFL team wants is a protracted regular season game.

It's good and fair the way it is. I remember the Seahawks winning the coin toss in OT vs. the Packers. Packers win on an interception return.

There is clearly two options. Both give each team a chance.

1. is to have each team get a shot by kicking off the ball. First team receives and tries to score. Second team receives the ball and tries to score. Since each team gets a chance. punting isn't necessary. A twist would require the kick to be in the form of a free kick (punt).

(how to avoid ties) Also the first team, if they score a td, can only do an xpt. the second team, if they score a td, must do a 2 pt conversion. second team is home team.

2. since most OT are won by fg. Just do away with the football aspect and have it be a fg sudden death. start at the 40 and move every 5 yards until someone misses.

btw, the current rules are there for the television broadcast benefit. they don't want some lame teams dual to end up taking away from the viewership of the late afternoon games that typically are fewed by more regions of the US.

and the networks don't like having to either push the news later or not airing a show in their evening lineup.

any solution would preferably be short and to the point.

Tell that to Peyton Manning and the Colts who never stepped foot on the field in OT last playoffs against the Chargers b/c the Bolts won the coin toss.

No, tell Peyton to go talk to Bob Sanders and the rest of the Colts D for not kicking the Chargers in the teeth and throwing them off the field with their team's season on the line.

I'm a NYG fan, and for all I know, Flipper Freakin' Anderson is still running after catching that OT touchdown to beat a SB contending Giants team in 89.

Sudden death is tough, and being an NFL fan hurts sometimes. It hurts.

But I wouldn't want it any other way.

It's good and fair the way it is. I remember the Seahawks winning the coin toss in OT vs. the Packers. Packers win on an interception return.

That was awesome...I still remember Hasselsuck saying "we want the ball!...we're gonna score!"

lol :wacko: pwned

no more so than the game opening one did