Sign in to follow this  
bryberns

McFadden officially named starting in OAK

As predicted...

Raiders tap McFadden as starting running back

Coach Tom Cable has named Darren McFadden the Raiders' starting running back over Michael Bush and Justin Fargas.

Cable cited the 2008 No. 4 overall pick's consistency and "explosiveness" as reasons for his promotion. We envisioned McFadden as the offensive centerpiece regardless of whether or not he lined up with the starters. This news only ensures that he'll see upwards of 20 touches per game on a regular basis. It's very bad news for the incumbent Fargas, who risks losing his spot in the running back rotation. Clearly, both McFadden and Bush are superior talents. Sep. 11 - 1:37 am et

Source: David White on Twitter

I took him early in the 4th , thought it was kind of a reach but now i'm thinking it may pay off.

Why wouldn't they give him the ball atleast 20 times a game?

I think this is a wait and see situation, and I'm a McFadden owner. They play SD the first game so chances are he won't look great but if he gets 20+ touches count that as a victory. He gets KC and Denver in the next 2 games and could explode with that many touches. If the Raiders don't make a good effort to give him the ball then he won't get anywhere near my starting lineup if I can help it.

I think this is a wait and see situation, and I'm a McFadden owner. They play SD the first game so chances are he won't look great but if he gets 20+ touches count that as a victory. He gets KC and Denver in the next 2 games and could explode with that many touches. If the Raiders don't make a good effort to give him the ball then he won't get anywhere near my starting lineup if I can help it.

:dunno: Bingo you said it....... I drafted the guy purely for upside but I won't start him until I see his touches around 12-15 a game, that being said I like his schedule overall

I don't have the guy, but love his upside..thinkin bout offering up T Gonz or Olsen for the guy...have a broken Pierre I need to fill in for...love his schedule, and love his potential...

When the dust clears, I still think Bush will be the real value in Oak. They use the hell out of their RB, and have been lucky that a guy with Fargas' build and running style has avoided major injury for the most part. Don't know if they'll continue to be as fortunate with McFadden, or that they think he can carry the same kind of load.

Bush will save fantasy teams in the second half of the season. Just my prediction.

I don't have the guy, but love his upside..thinkin bout offering up T Gonz or Olsen for the guy...have a broken Pierre I need to fill in for...love his schedule, and love his potential...

You better come with more than that.

Dont see how this changes anything at all.

Didnt everyone, especially those who drafted McFadden, expect this? I think people would have been very disappointed if he wasnt named the starter.

I still question his FF prospects over the course of the season and agree with the above poster that Bush will be the better value. McFadden's upside is definitely there though. Im just not confident he reaches it. In fact, Id bet that he wont.

JMO

The Raiders are/were awful, but except for the lack of scoring TDs, the rushing offense was decent last yaar.

8th in rushing attempts

9th in rushing yards

Only 9 total TDs, so they ended up 19th in FF points scored by RBs.

501 total touches last year (31.3 /g), which seems unlikely to drop in 2009.

I see the breakdown to be somewhat like this:

D-Mac 15-18 touches and 3rd down back

Bush 11-14 touches, most short yardage and likely the RZ back

Fargas 2-4 touches, insignificant unless one of the above two gets hurt

Sound about right?

He is willing to give up McFadden and Owen Daniels for Olsen and Felix Jones...

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me.

would you really? I just have a hard time buying into his hype, although I know the potential is there...

Dont see how this changes anything at all.

Didnt everyone, especially those who drafted McFadden, expect this? I think people would have been very disappointed if he wasnt named the starter.

I still question his FF prospects over the course of the season and agree with the above poster that Bush will be the better value. McFadden's upside is definitely there though. Im just not confident he reaches it. In fact, Id bet that he wont.

JMO

more or less this is just a sigh of relief for those who drafted McFadden. I think we all assumed he would get a good number of touches regardless of wether or not he held the starter title, especially with the promised involvement in the passing game.

this just makes his owners a little more comfortable with his role.

would you really? I just have a hard time buying into his hype, although I know the potential is there...

He's going to get more touches than Felix and he's got just as much, if not more talent. It's a good deal. Take it.

If the Raiders are smart, they will use Michael Bush in the Deuce role and McFadden in the (Reggie) Bush role. Maybe McFadden can be an every down back, a 20+ carry per game guy, but I'm skeptical. Michael Bush, on the other hand, it a freight train. Load that guy up with the rock and watch him go. Let McFadden be the change of pace guy, your Home Run hitter, but I say keep him away from the heavy lifting.

I somehow got McFadden in round 14 of my 12 team league...and it is a competitive league. We did it online with yahoo live draft and it was my turn to pick in round 14 and I just decided to start at the top of the player ranking list and scroll down...for whatever reason all the top 100 was gone but then there was just McFadden sitting there.

It is a D, DB, LB, DL - IDP league also..so maybe that had something to do with it...but still.

I somehow got McFadden in round 14 of my 12 team league...and it is a competitive league. We did it online with yahoo live draft and it was my turn to pick in round 14 and I just decided to start at the top of the player ranking list and scroll down...for whatever reason all the top 100 was gone but then there was just McFadden sitting there.

It is a D, DB, LB, DL - IDP league also..so maybe that had something to do with it...but still.

first, some competative league <_<

second, how did YOU let him fall to the 14th?

I had McFadden last year and caught some OAK games on tv. And then I had the pleasure of watching OAK vs. the Saints in the preseason. That is what it is and I know that, but.....

.....Oakland's offense is awful with Russell under center. Their team is poorly managed, the offense is disorganized and does the wrong things at the wrong time. Aside from McFadden having better health - which, granted is important - what the heck has changed over there? McFadden and Bush are great runners but good luck waiting this thing out for them to develop as FF starters.

The Raiders have big plans for him. His playmaking ability is obvious and they are going to find ways to feature him. As a running back, as a receiver, out of the wildcat... He's their starting RB, but expect a lot of Reggie Bush and Ronnie Brown looks as well.

I like DMF but I too think Bush is better, but is not starting only because of draft position.

Having said that, DMF should have a very good year if he stays healthy. I would have no problem starting him.

I like DMF but I too think Bush is better, but is not starting only because of draft position.

Having said that, DMF should have a very good year if he stays healthy. I would have no problem starting him.

Starting him ?

Over who ?

You'd have to be very thin to start a Radiers RB, that may not be the goaline back.

Their only chance is against the other bottom barrel NFL team (Chiefs, Broncos)....other than those games, any other NFL team, I'd look to start that Defense and look for points for under rushing and passing yards, and under 10 point, or 3 points bonuses, etc.

Starting him ?

Over who ?

You'd have to be very thin to start a Radiers RB, that may not be the goaline back.

Their only chance is against the other bottom barrel NFL team (Chiefs, Broncos)....other than those games, any other NFL team, I'd look to start that Defense and look for points for under rushing and passing yards, and under 10 point, or 3 points bonuses, etc.

George, although I might agree with you that I would not start a Raider RB this week....I think your reasoning is a little flawed. Oakland has actually ranked as a top 10 rush Offense in the NFL for the past two years (10th 2008, 6th 2007). The only reason I would not start an Oak RB this week is because we are not yet sure how the carries will be handed out. If DMac or Bush actually become a 20+ touch RB in that Offense, they automatically become a viable RB2, and if it's DMac in a PPR league he probably becomes a borderline #1 Fantasy RB this year...if he stays healthy.

If DMac or Bush actually become a 20+ touch RB in that Offense, they automatically become a viable RB2, and if it's DMac in a PPR league he probably becomes a borderline #1 Fantasy RB this year...if he stays healthy.

I agree with all of this.

George, although I might agree with you that I would not start a Raider RB this week....I think your reasoning is a little flawed. Oakland has actually ranked as a top 10 rush Offense in the NFL for the past two years (10th 2008, 6th 2007). The only reason I would not start an Oak RB this week is because we are not yet sure how the carries will be handed out. If DMac or Bush actually become a 20+ touch RB in that Offense, they automatically become a viable RB2, and if it's DMac in a PPR league he probably becomes a borderline #1 Fantasy RB this year...if he stays healthy.
I owned DMC last year and never started him....the Raiders are the suck of the NFL.

Are you talking about total rushing yards for 2007/2008?...cause I don't see a lot of TDs, and even though yards are nice, FF is about TDs. You need FF players on teams that can score a lot.....where did the Raiders rank in total points those years ?

You have to have a good passing game to setup the running game, and vice versa....8 men in the box is tough to run on. If you have SD defense this week, START EM, and thank me in the AM.

I owned DMC last year and never started him....the Raiders are the suck of the NFL.

Are you talking about total rushing yards for 2007/2008?...cause I don't see a lot of TDs, and even though yards are nice, FF is about TDs. You need FF players on teams that can score a lot.....where did the Raiders rank in total points those years ?

You have to have a good passing game to setup the running game, and vice versa....8 men in the box is tough to run on. If you have SD defense this week, START EM, and thank me in the AM.

OK, back to my point. Last year McFadden averaged 4.4 yards per carry, and a TD every 28 carries. With simple math, at 20 touches per game average, that would put him at 1,400 yards and 11 TD's...plus receptions. Now, remember that I saif "if" one of those guys get's 20+ touches a game. I doubt he would get to those type numbers, but 1229rushyds/9TD's/43rec/260yds/1recTD is what Chris Johnson put up last year in a system where he had a TD vulture in White. Was Tennesse a good passing team?? Where did CJ go in your draft this year? Did his owner play him this week against Pit? Answer those questions and you will begin to see my point.

I like this week's matchup. They are at home against a big rival. San Diego's run defense isnt that good and Oakland usually plays tough against San Diego.

The Raiders passing game is not going to be quite as bad as everyone thinks. Everyone is just assuming Russell is a huge bust, but the fact is last year was essentially his rookie year. Ryan and Flacco have forever skewed the perception of rookie QB's. After the coaching turmoil of last year settled down, the Raider went 4-4 over their last 8 games including 2-1 to finish the season. In those 3 games Russell averaged a 104 QB rating. You could see him start to play MUCH better. They FINALLY have some coaching continuity from 1 season to the next. In preseason teams we consistently respecting the deep ball by putting double coverage on DHB. This could open up some lanes for McFadden and the running game. Russell still has a ways to go, but the reality of the passing game may not be as bad as the perception. I think McFadden, if healthy could have a big year.

The Raiders offensive line looked bad in the preseason, but that came as a surprise. They were at least average last year and some might argue pretty strong in that department. Robert Gallery failed as a Tackle but now makes an excellent Guard. I expect them to get it together and open up good running lanes this season. As for JaMarcus Russell, and how inconsistent he'll be, McFadden has - if nothing else - the pure speed to blow through a hole and hit a Home Run. Even in this preseason, I saw a few plays of his (DMC) that made my jaw drop a little. One was a 20+ yard scamper called back on a penalty so it never appeared on a stat sheet. But to have seen the guy's speed and power...it's clear why some are very high on him. For now, I'll consider him an excellent RB3 and FLEX starter, with potential to move up if he stays healthy and gets some love from the play calling.

Competitive at what is the question.

If the Raiders are smart, they will use Michael Bush in the Deuce role and McFadden in the (Reggie) Bush role. Maybe McFadden can be an every down back, a 20+ carry per game guy, but I'm skeptical. Michael Bush, on the other hand, it a freight train. Load that guy up with the rock and watch him go. Let McFadden be the change of pace guy, your Home Run hitter, but I say keep him away from the heavy lifting.

Isn't McFadden much bigger than Reggie Bush? He can run in between the tackles. Reggie cant.

OK, back to my point. Last year McFadden averaged 4.4 yards per carry, and a TD every 28 carries. With simple math, at 20 touches per game average, that would put him at 1,400 yards and 11 TD's...plus receptions. Now, remember that I saif "if" one of those guys get's 20+ touches a game. I doubt he would get to those type numbers, but 1229rushyds/9TD's/43rec/260yds/1recTD is what Chris Johnson put up last year in a system where he had a TD vulture in White. Was Tennesse a good passing team?? Where did CJ go in your draft this year? Did his owner play him this week against Pit? Answer those questions and you will begin to see my point.

Tennessee had a dominant defense. #2 in points against last year. So they could run all day. Plus, they have a better O-Line.

How was Oakland's D and O-line?

Moreover, CJ is a better RB period than McFadden. He's actually faster. I remember McFadden getting caught from behind last year. CJ doesn't get chased down.

Tennessee had a dominant defense. #2 in points against last year. So they could run all day. Plus, they have a better O-Line.

Moreover, CJ is a better RB period than McFadden. He's actually faster. I remember McFadden getting caught from behind last year. CJ doesn't get chased down.

He got chased down in the backfield by Polamalu on Thursday night!

Isn't McFadden much bigger than Reggie Bush?

McFadden: 6'2" 210 lbs.

Reggie: 6'0" 203 lbs.

If you don't like the Deuce/Bush concept, perhaps I should have added the White/Johnson approach in Tennessee.

McFadden is a much better "runner" than Reggie Bush. I just don't see him lasting long if they give him 20+ carries.

He got chased down in the backfield by Polamalu on Thursday night!

That's not chased down. I mean, if CJ is in front of anyone, he's not losing ground. He's gone. Its over.

I saw RUN DMC caught from behind. He's not as fast as CJ. Then again, nobody is.

Oakland's o-line is actually average, and probably above average when it comes to run blocking.

Oakland's d-line w/ the addition of Seymour is now above average.

They have a solid LB corps and the best CB in the game.

They have a solid receiving TE and an underrated QB (however average he still may be)

They have two young stud RBs in Bush and McFadden who compliment each other perfectly.

Rarely do I defend the Raiders, but there is so much hate towards this franchise.

Even if the Raiders are down McFadden has good hands and is said to even be lining up at WR in some sets, so I'm not too worried about playing from behind.

To say that CJ is a better RB period than McFadden after one year in which McFadden was largely injured is even more hate to the fire. Impressively stupid statement.

Ive got McFadden in 2 leagues. Im not really concerned with how the team does as a whole as I think DMC can do pretty well if he stays healthy.

He gets 4 games against Denver and KC as well as a games against Houston, Cincy and Cleveland. His fantasy playoff mathups are Denver and Cleveland.

The Raiders offensive line is not terrible and DMC will be used in every phase of the offense.

However, it will be nice if they can put together some kind of passing game to open up some running lanes.

They stink!

4 wins if lucky.

5, 8, 4...any guess what those numbers are? Those are the number of wins the Chargers had LT's first 3 years. Want to guess his best year stats wise? The 4 win year. The point I am making - I don't care if the Raiders only win 2 games this year...if they are playing from behind it will probably mean more catches for DMac making him that much more valuable in a PPR. LT had 100 catches the 4 win season. And no, I'm not comparing DMac to LT, but a 60 catch season makes him a viable fantasy option as a RB2 in a PPR. And yes, I do expect the Raiders to be pretty bad this year...does not mean DMac will stink? I'm sure Calvin Johnson was a 4th or 5th round flyer in your league since he plays for the Lions...they will probably suck worse than Oak.

Oakland's o-line is actually average, and probably above average when it comes to run blocking.

Oakland's d-line w/ the addition of Seymour is now above average.

They have a solid LB corps and the best CB in the game.

They have a solid receiving TE and an underrated QB (however average he still may be)

They have two young stud RBs in Bush and McFadden who compliment each other perfectly.

Rarely do I defend the Raiders, but there is so much hate towards this franchise.

Even if the Raiders are down McFadden has good hands and is said to even be lining up at WR in some sets, so I'm not too worried about playing from behind.

To say that CJ is a better RB period than McFadden after one year in which McFadden was largely injured is even more hate to the fire. Impressively stupid statement.

Truth!