Sign in to follow this  
The Hood

Mark Sanchez

Looking pretty good so far. Accuracy needs some work still but he is fantastic at avoiding the rush. Looks very calm and poised back there.

Jets fan here...

Trying not to over react, but he looks really good. Granted, sub par Houston defense, but I agree with everything you said. Looks calm and reading the defense pretty well. Good play calling by Schottenheimer too.

He's got that savvy. He's way ahead of where a rookie should be mentally. If they get him a big time WR, he could have a very very good rookie year.

Jets fan here...

Trying not to over react, but he looks really good. Granted, sub par Houston defense, but I agree with everything you said. Looks calm and reading the defense pretty well. Good play calling by Schottenheimer too.

Jets fan here as well, and being a Jets fan we all know what happens when you get excited about anything.........

He has made a few suspect throws while being pressured, but of course I am being critical of a rookie playing in his 1st game ever. He does look pretty good though.

logged in to start a thread about him... but ill just continue this one.

We Jets fans have finally gotten our QB of the future. This kid is the real deal. Pennington could have and should have lead us to more playoff wins but injuries derailed his career and left him as nothing more than a dink and dunk game manager. For those that don't remember, in his younger years he could throw downfield a bit.

I wasn't happy with the Favre experiment, and we could have drafted Ryan or Flaccor last year (both look great), but in the end it seems everything happens for a reason and the Favre detour ended up landing us Sanchez in a roundabout way.

Cotchery and Keller both looked good. One more receiving weapon would be great but the key is the line and running game.

And that defense looked VERY good. Should have pitched a shutout. And to think, next week we get Ellis back and in 3 weeks we get Pace. Two of our better players on D.

:doublethumbsup:

Nice win for the Jets, and their fans. Can't help but feel good for them and their prospects. I hope they go in and kick the Pat's teeth in.... :doublethumbsup:

He caught a couple breaks - on that one play Mario was chasing him down and he tossed a wounded duck to Leon, Washington played nice D to knock it down. But for the most part, he did well with his progressions. Love his attitude, he's been a superstar QB for awhile (#1 h.s. QB before he went to USC), he's very mature. Right after he threw the pick 6, made a great 3rd down throw to Keller in stride, short time later TJ iced it with his 38 yard scamper.

Jets controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Other than Ryan getting a free run (Leon blew the assignment from the looks of it) the o-line did a great job. On the 1st TD, it was a sellout blitz but everyone did their job. On defense they completely took away Andre and Slaton - got burned on a couple screens (one of which ended in a Slaton fumble anyway) - but they got all the parts working: Jenkins clogs the middle, Harris wraps up everything that gets turned back into him, Scott and Leonhard bring the intensity, and Revis is a shutdown corner. Even Gholston managed not to suck today. I think their lack of pass rush without blitzing will hurt them some games, and you just know Lito Sheppard will get lit up when they play teams with 2 good WRs, but you have to like what Ryan has accomplished here in a very short time.

I'm not a Jets fan, but I cannot imagine a better start for them.

Ofcourse every week will not go this smoothly for Sanchez and he did make mistakes but right now I feel confident that NY got the best QB in this draft class.

As far as the pass rush, the good news is Ellis returns next week and he has always been able to generate some pressure. Im really hoping Gholston can show something in these next 3 weeks before Pace comes back and starts.

Davis Harris and Bart Scott might just be the best LB tandem in the league.

I liked what I saw, but they better find a way to avoid putting him in 3rd and 7-10 yards so often. That 1st down running game is going to be crucial for him to have success. With that said, how about that defense? If they give another second of thought to trading Harris for Marshall, I'll be sick.

I actually got laughed at when I chose the Jets as my D for my team. I think I will be laughing in the end though as they looked very good even without their 2 best Dmen. Harris is an absolute monster at LB, and with Scott there now they definitely have the best LB's in the league. The true test of course is against Brady and Co. next week.

I actually got laughed at when I chose the Jets as my D for my team. I think I will be laughing in the end though as they looked very good even without their 2 best Dmen. Harris is an absolute monster at LB, and with Scott there now they definitely have the best LB's in the league. The true test of course is against Brady and Co. next week.

it all depends really on where you drafted them and what other teams were available.

I have the Jets as my defense in the IBL this season but would have prefered some other teams like the Giants, Eagles and Vikings...

I won't feel comfortable starting them against NE just yet. But I think in shutting down the Texans, they proved to alot of people that they are more than just a matchup play.

Give it time. Every time the Texans play a rookie or first-time starter at QB, they make him look like a god. I don't mean that to take anything away from Sanchez, but other teams will get through and sack him, not drop those INTs, and put him behind in score. We'll see how he does then. Good start, but predictable.

FF Rule #5103 - Always start players facing the Texans.

Pats homer here... he looked very very good... seems like he will mesh pretty well with the dink and dunk type offense the jets will use...

second best team in the east i think...

Have been following Sanchez since he went to my high school alma matter. Back then you could tell he had great physical ability... quick on his feet, great mechanics, and a good arm. Throughout his career, he has always looked the part as far as physical attributes go.

At USC he started off on rocky ground as a high profile recruit with a bogus rape charge. To be honest... I think that was the best thing that could have ever happened to him. I would think it showed him the reality of his position in life, and the immediate dangers that his notoriety brings. With USC football being the only team in such a big market... he is used to media scrutiny. He is mentally strong as a sreuslt of these two things IMO.

But above all... he shows love for the game and a desire to compete. Everyone and their mothers like to do Brett Favre comparisons... and to me, Sanchez is the closest thing we have seen in a while in that aspect. That all being said... with that passion comes the gunslinger, exciteable attitude... and he will make mistakes along those lines. But with that offensive line and the talent they have at RB.... that should and will go a long way if the defense plays as well as it did on Sunday.

I also think very highly of Rex Ryan. He just seems like a football guy and fun football coach... not to mention his lineage commands respect in the business. All in all... I think these two will both be staples of the Jets for quite a long time.

Pats homer here... he looked very very good... seems like he will mesh pretty well with the dink and dunk type offense the jets will use...

second best team in the east i think...

Nah I think they will beat out Miami for 1st.

So glad to see a REAL NFL QB as a rookie. You can tell that this kid "has it". Just as much as you can tell that Lienhart, Vince Young, and various other BUSTS do NOT have it. Good for him and the Jets. Of course, for every Sanchez there will be 10 Vince Youngs or Matt Leinharts....

Oh well, GO Mark!

Nah I think they will beat out Miami for 1st.

:dunno:

Classic!!

So glad to see a REAL NFL QB as a rookie. You can tell that this kid "has it". Just as much as you can tell that Lienhart, Vince Young, and various other BUSTS do NOT have it. Good for him and the Jets. Of course, for every Sanchez there will be 10 Vince Youngs or Matt Leinharts....

Oh well, GO Mark!

I agree, Sanchez definately has "it". You can tell from his post game interviews, he just has the right personality and says the right things. He doesn't have Stafford's arm but he has a good arm and really seems to show leadership at such an early stage in his career. Im praying that he can stay healthy because, as I mentioned before, our last promising QB fell victim to numerious injuries.

As far as there being 10 Youngs for every Sanchez, Ryan or Flacco... I agree and I disagree... the numbers support that statement but I believe so much is based on situation. Sanchez, Ryan and Flacco all went to perfect situations for Rookie QB's. They had teams or at least the makings of teams around them to support their success. There is not a person out there that can convince me that David Carr wouldn't have been at least a good NFL QB if he had been drafted into a better situation. Id really like to see him get a starting job somewhere with an offensive line.

Similarly, a guy like Tom Brady could have easily fallen by the wayside in a different organization

I agree, Sanchez definately has "it". You can tell from his post game interviews, he just has the right personality and says the right things. He doesn't have Stafford's arm but he has a good arm and really seems to show leadership at such an early stage in his career. Im praying that he can stay healthy because, as I mentioned before, our last promising QB fell victim to numerious injuries.

As far as there being 10 Youngs for every Sanchez, Ryan or Flacco... I agree and I disagree... the numbers support that statement but I believe so much is based on situation. Sanchez, Ryan and Flacco all went to perfect situations for Rookie QB's. They had teams or at least the makings of teams around them to support their success. There is not a person out there that can convince me that David Carr wouldn't have been at least a good NFL QB if he had been drafted into a better situation. Id really like to see him get a starting job somewhere with an offensive line.

Similarly, a guy like Tom Brady could have easily fallen by the wayside in a different organization

Great points, I agree with you for the most part. VY and Leinhart did go to decent teams though and should have been able to do more. Arizonas WR corps is sick. Tennessee has a solid overall team. JaMarcus Russell got shafted going to the Faders. Oh well.

Funny you mention Brady... as far as Im concerned he was blessed by the football Gods. Perfect situation, killer coaching and defense, GREAT FG kicker and plenty of cheating and shady dealings to go around. If Tom Terrific had been drafted by the Skins, Lions, Bills, etc, etc... he'd be a 2nd stringer at best. :rolleyes: Unlike Manning, McNabb, Elway, or Marino who made their Franchises respectable, Brady "slid in there" when noone was looking and latched on. I will say that he has made the most of it, gotta give em that. But, hes just not in the class of the others I mention for pure quarterback skill.

Now, I'll go get on my riot gear as the Brady knob-lickers will be in full attack mode.... :music_guitarred:

Great points, I agree with you for the most part. VY and Leinhart did go to decent teams though and should have been able to do more. Arizonas WR corps is sick. Tennessee has a solid overall team. JaMarcus Russell got shafted going to the Faders. Oh well.

Funny you mention Brady... as far as Im concerned he was blessed by the football Gods. Perfect situation, killer coaching and defense, GREAT FG kicker and plenty of cheating and shady dealings to go around. If Tom Terrific had been drafted by the Skins, Lions, Bills, etc, etc... he'd be a 2nd stringer at best. :rolleyes: Unlike Manning, McNabb, Elway, or Marino who made their Franchises respectable, Brady "slid in there" when noone was looking and latched on. I will say that he has made the most of it, gotta give em that. But, hes just not in the class of the others I mention for pure quarterback skill.

Now, I'll go get on my riot gear as the Brady knob-lickers will be in full attack mode.... :music_guitarred:

With all due respect... I think people are mailing in both Vince Young and Leinart a bit early in my opinion. Neither has played well, don't get me wrong. But I also don't think they have been that bad (I think VY may even have a winning record?)... and it's things outside of football that have really given these guys a bad rap. I still think there's some hope for both of them... especially now that both of them have had savvy vets play well in front of them.

i wasn't trying to make a call on Leinart or Young, just a general idea that I feel alot of QB success in this league is determined by situation and luck. More than any other position.

Brady had the system and coaching staff as well as the making of a great team around him AND had Bledsoe suffer internal bleeding on a shot from Mo Lewis or Marvin Jones I can never remember which Jets LB knocked him out. So alot went right for Tom. Now, don't get me wrong Tom lovers. Im not saying he is not a great QB and Im not even saying he is a system QB. Im simply saying what if Brady had been drafted by the Raiders, Lions, 49ers... would he have ever got a shot? would he have been developed properly?

There are few Mannings Montanas Elways Aikmans Marinos.....

There are far more guys who I feel we may never know about because they are either highly touted players drafted into terrible situations (Carr, Russell) or diamonds in the rough who never get the opportunity.

Looking pretty good so far. Accuracy needs some work still but he is fantastic at avoiding the rush. Looks very calm and poised back there.

update

Sorry Jets fans but Sanchez looks worse with each and every game. Just a brutal performance today. Weather seems to be really affecting him today, which is not a great sign since it's only going to get worse playing in Nov, Dec in NY. Might be worth sitting him for a week or two to get his head back on straight. :wall:

update

Sorry Jets fans but Sanchez looks worse with each and every game. Just a brutal performance today. Weather seems to be really affecting him today, which is not a great sign since it's only going to get worse playing in Nov, Dec in NY. Might be worth sitting him for a week or two to get his head back on straight. :wall:

Pete Carroll was right about sanchez. Sanchez needed to stay in college one more year

it's wise to reserve judgment on a rookie qb--positive or negative--for a season or two.

there was no way sanchez was THAT good...and he's not THIS BAD, either.

welcome to the nfl, kid.

I play in an IDP league, and Sanchez threw so many picks Edwards and Keller ended up padding their stats with tackles against me. That might end up being the difference.

Mark Sanchez is the typical over-hyped New York player. Anyone that plays for New York gets crowned as the next savior and Mark Sanchez, the pretty boy, is just the next in a long line of New York media darlings. Facts are he was afraid to play at USC and took the money and ran. He knew his looks would get him some fat sponsorship deals in Manhattan. At least in Boston when we all knew Brady was good looking we waited until he won a few playoff games to anoint him.

What is the over under for the Sanchez/Ryan honeymoon? When are we watching the "Sanchez/Ryan: What went wrong?" documentary on ESPN? When will we be recapping how the Jets had such high hopes back in 2009?

I'd say maximum 2 seasons after this one.

Mark Sanchez is the typical over-hyped New York player. Anyone that plays for New York gets crowned as the next savior and Mark Sanchez, the pretty boy, is just the next in a long line of New York media darlings. Facts are he was afraid to play at USC and took the money and ran. He knew his looks would get him some fat sponsorship deals in Manhattan. At least in Boston when we all knew Brady was good looking we waited until he won a few playoff games to anoint him.

What is the over under for the Sanchez/Ryan honeymoon? When are we watching the "Sanchez/Ryan: What went wrong?" documentary on ESPN? When will we be recapping how the Jets had such high hopes back in 2009?

I'd say maximum 2 seasons after this one.

You're like an overdramatic 15 year old girl. You think he left USC early to get some fat sponsorships in NY? So he knew NY was going to make a blockbuster draft day trade to get him the moment he declared for the draft?

I think its time to stop spewing bullshit.

Maybe go back to your pathetic attention-grab thread about the Pats beating the Jets.

Its one game guys lets not get the panties in a wad. :first:

I'd say it's been 3 games in a row so far. Looks like the Sanchez lovefest is over.

Here's a great post at the Pro Football Reference Blog:

Off the Mark

Sanchez did not just have a bad game or a typical rookie mistake game. This was epic, one of the worst QB performances of all-time.

ASIDE - if you are not familiar with PFR, the adjusted yards stat is a simplified rating system. Take passing yards, add 10 for TDs, subtract 45 for interceptions. Its a simple metric which measures how well a QB does his job.

i wasn't trying to make a call on Leinart or Young, just a general idea that I feel alot of QB success in this league is determined by situation and luck. More than any other position.

Brady had the system and coaching staff as well as the making of a great team around him AND had Bledsoe suffer internal bleeding on a shot from Mo Lewis or Marvin Jones I can never remember which Jets LB knocked him out. So alot went right for Tom. Now, don't get me wrong Tom lovers. Im not saying he is not a great QB and Im not even saying he is a system QB. Im simply saying what if Brady had been drafted by the Raiders, Lions, 49ers... would he have ever got a shot? would he have been developed properly?

There are few Mannings Montanas Elways Aikmans Marinos.....

There are far more guys who I feel we may never know about because they are either highly touted players drafted into terrible situations (Carr, Russell) or diamonds in the rough who never get the opportunity.

100% correct although jamarcus Russell does just plain old suck. A lot of QB success is the system. Real fans understand this. Jow Montana played on some GREAT teams. So did Aikman. Lets be realistic.... Tom Brady getting drafted by the Lions would have yielded slightly different results. :wall:

Cocky ###### got his ass handed to him.

He's no Matt Ryan. A student of the game and hard working superstar QB. My QB. :dunno: