Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Star_Wrecking_Crew

It's an EXCITING Time to be a Dallas Fan!

I don't see the Cowboys doing their annual choke job...I think the coaches finally get it...

Which coach would that be? Wade Phillips? I hate to break it to you but he's never going to get IT. Prepare to choke.

romo also did well in the giants game in the playoffs. Romo still has a better december rating than eli. Eli has a december slump

December is in the regular season. What about January?

Eli has a career Super Bowl passer rating of 87.3; what is Romo's career Super Bowl QB rating? Oh that's right, he's never been to the Super Bowl. :cry:

tony had taken over a struggling team team that was completely written off earlier in the season. led them to the playoffs, and then led them on a potentially gamewinning drive in his first playoff game.

what's your point?

furthermore, when the cowboys have serious injury troubles (such as they did two years later), all the critics say "injuries are not an excuse" and still blame romo.

when the defense completely folded their tents againts the steelers and the ravens last season, you still blamed romo.

when romo leads the team to a go-ahead score with 3 min left in the 4th against the undefeated giants, and the defense gives the game away, you still blamed romo.

when the cowboys win due to a last minute comeback engineered by romo, you say "they never should have been in that position".

when the cowboys have an excellent offensive output, you say "that's due to his incredible supporting cast".

if he has a bad day, you say he sucks. if he overcomes that bad day and wins, you say he sucks. if he has a good day but teammates have a bad day, you say he sucks. if EVERYONE has a great day, you say he sucks.

this should point out a serious problem with y'alls evaluation process.

I never said he sucks (at least not in the past year). I'm merely stating the reason for his strong numbers in the 2006 playoff game.

Roy Willams on the other hand does suck.

One of the overlooked (and assumed) thinkings behind Romo's postseason performances is that the Seahawks game was actually a pretty solid outing by him. Most remember one thing - that he botched & fumbled the snap on the game winning field goal attempt. Well, for one - that's still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of - bashing and basing his postseason failures for botching a special teams play. Uh, nevermind his actual qb play that game - let's focus on that play and say he chocked as a qb. :doublethumbsup:

Truth of the matter is Romo had this game in hand and was on his way to winning it w/out the need of a fg. Again, as the ignorant do not remeber or know, past mid-way of the 4th, dallas up 20-13 - Glenn fumbles and the Hawks drive for a td..........Romo gets the ball on his own 28 and drives Dallas down to the Hawks 2. Course we know what happened then - but point of all this is that his actual qb play was not only good - it was way more than enough to win.

For that game: Romo's qb rating, 89.6 / Hasselbeck's, 66.9

Romo QB Rating and stats for December and January:

Date Team Result Score comp att Pct yds TD Int Rating

2006-12-03 DAL @ NYG W 23-20 20 34 58.8% 257 0 2 58.1

2006-12-10 DAL NOR L 17-42 16 33 48.5% 249 1 2 58.8

2006-12-16 DAL @ ATL W 38-28 22 29 75.9% 278 2 1 113.9

2006-12-25 DAL PHI L 7-23 14 29 48.3% 142 1 2 45.5

2006-12-31 DAL DET L 31-39 23 32 71.9% 321 2 1 111.6

2007-12-09 DAL @ DET W 28-27 35 44 79.5% 302 2 0 110.4

2007-12-16 DAL PHI L 6-10 13 36 36.1% 214 0 3 22.2

2007-12-22 DAL @ CAR W 20-13 28 42 66.7% 257 1 1 81.2

2007-12-30 DAL @ WAS L 6-27 7 16 43.8% 86 0 1 34.9

2008-12-07 DAL @ PIT L 13-20 19 36 52.8% 210 1 3 44.9

2008-12-14 DAL NYG W 20-8 20 30 66.7% 244 2 0 113.7

2008-12-20 DAL BAL L 24-33 24 45 53.3% 252 2 2 66.2

2008-12-28 DAL @ PHI L 6-44 21 39 53.8% 183 0 1 55.8

Playoffs:

2007-01-06 DAL @ SEA L 20-21 17 29 58.6% 189 1 0 89.6

2008-01-13 DAL NYG L 17-21 18 36 50.0% 201 1 1 64.7

Total record 5 wins 10 Losses

A few comments:

-Romo's rating was 81.2 or higher for 6 games and 66.2 or lower for nine games.

-Of the 15 Cowboy opponents listed, 1 team was 3-13, 3 teams were 7-9, and the rest were 8-8 or better

-The total record of the teams played was 132-107-1

-The Cowboys record against the teams 8-8 or better was 2-9.

Spin away Romo haters and lovers.

Wow dHockster, that's a lot of info...

What I take from it is this regarding Romo during December in the regular season:

2006 win/loss record is 2-3

2007 it was 2-2

2008 it was 1-3

This is not very impressive for what amounts to the stretch run of the season.

In all of these games, the only time his passer rating was above 70% was if he was playing in a dome or at home.

He can't take the cold! Lucky for the Cowboys (if they make the playoffs that is...still 5 weeks to collapse) that the road to the SB will go through either New Orleans or Minnesota...two domed stadiums.

What I take from it is this regarding Romo during December in the regular season:

2007 it was 2-2

2008 it was 1-3

In all of these games, the only time his passer rating was above 70% was if he was playing in a dome or at home.

He can't take the cold! Lucky for the Cowboys (if they make the playoffs that is...still 5 weeks to collapse) that the road to the SB will go through either New Orleans or Minnesota...two domed stadiums.

He has a passer rating of at least 93.0 for each month except December, in which he has a 71.9 rating with 14 TDs and 19 interceptions. Romo calls those stats "misleading," a term he also applies to the club's post-November record since he became a starter. "It's one of those weird statistics," Romo said. "In some ways, it's like the quarterback stats in the second half of the season. They are never going to be as good because it's colder weather and all of the defenses have more tape. It's the same thing with December. It's hard for teams to ... maintain that level of mental edge knowing the games maybe didn't matter at the time."

there we have it.......straight from Romo himself............every qb has worse stats later int he year as the weather gets colder and winds start blowing. More game tape and teams play tougher D late in the year with playoff spots on the line.

I challenge you romo bashers to give me 5 starting QBs who produce better stats in december than they do the before december. trashing a guy who has a 93 Qb rating the first 12 games simpy because of the reasons listed above is just plain wrong.

2007 it was 2-2

2008 it was 1-3

Actually, based on what you said Ilooked at the Home and Road results and the Cowboys are only 1-6 at home and 4-4 pm the road in December and January.

I guess the Cowboys are hoping the Death Star changes their home results down the stretch.

Well I never bashed him for the fumble but I bashed him for his failing to pick up a first down. He came up inches short but he tucked the ball in when he was tackled rather than reaching for a first down. That is what lost the game. He looked more like a punter on that play rather than a QB. It showed me his awareness and feel for the game were below average. He has done nothing to change that opinion. He is also one of the worst "time management" QBs I have ever seen. Tony has a chance to change this starting this week, let's see if he has learned anything in the last 3 1/2 years.

true. but then again, this was his first year as a starter. and even then, he took over mid-way thru for bledsoe. not totally unbelievable he didn't do well on that play.

there we have it.......straight from Romo himself............every qb has worse stats later int he year as the weather gets colder and winds start blowing...

I challenge you romo bashers to give me 5 starting QBs who produce better stats in december than they do the before december. trashing a guy who has a 93 Qb rating the first 12 games simpy because of the reasons listed above is just plain wrong.

Oh, well that settles it for me...straight from Romo himself. Can't get anymore of an expert opinion than that right? NOT. His excuse is like saying he smoked pot because everyone else was doing it. We're talking specifically about Romo, not every other QB.

Nevertheless...

Your challenge is a time consuming one but I will give it a shot tonight after the kids are in bed.

He has a passer rating of at least 93.0 for each month except December, in which he has a 71.9 rating with 14 TDs and 19 interceptions. Romo calls those stats "misleading," a term he also applies to the club's post-November record since he became a starter. "It's one of those weird statistics," Romo said. "In some ways, it's like the quarterback stats in the second half of the season. They are never going to be as good because it's colder weather and all of the defenses have more tape. It's the same thing with December. It's hard for teams to ... maintain that level of mental edge knowing the games maybe didn't matter at the time."

there we have it.......straight from Romo himself............every qb has worse stats later int he year as the weather gets colder and winds start blowing. More game tape and teams play tougher D late in the year with playoff spots on the line.

Very good point that a lower QB rating does not necessarily reflect totally on the QB. However, the more tape thing works both ways. Romo gets to see more of the defenses he is going up against, so why doesn't watching more tape help him? Why haven't the Cowboys defense been able to shut down other teams because they have more tape to watch?

My opinion is that Phillips has fallen short in gameplanning for the Cowboy opponents late in the Season. Put him up against good teams late in the season when coaching really makes a difference and you see the result (2-9 record against .500 or better teams over the last 3 years in December and January).

good challenge. I just spent 5 minutes looking up some stats. I would need to spend some more time to see if the december QB ratings are indeed as good or greater than the ratings from the previous 12 games but here is what I found.

The following numbers are the December QB ratings for the past 4 seasons.

Tom Brady

05/06 - 100.3

06/07 - 90.1

07/08 - 94.5

08/09 - NA

Peyton Manning

05/06 - 103.7

06/07 - 102.6

07/08 - 122.2

08/09 - 130.8

Tony Romo

05/06 - NA

06/07 - 77.1

07/08 - 70.3

08/09 - 67.9

Kurt Warner

05/06 - 86.5

06/07 - 109.6

07/08 - 88.5

08/09 - 87.5

Ok, obviously this is comparing the two best QB's in the game right now to Tony Romo (I will look at some other guys in a little while) but right off the bat what do these numbers tell you? Look at all the 100+ ratings for Brady and Manning. Look at Romo, not a rating above 77.1

good challenge. I just spent 5 minutes looking up some stats. I would need to spend some more time to see if the december QB ratings are indeed as good or greater than the ratings from the previous 12 games but here is what I found.

The following numbers are the December QB ratings for the past 4 seasons.

Tom Brady

05/06 - 100.3

06/07 - 90.1

07/08 - 94.5

08/09 - NA

Peyton Manning

05/06 - 103.7

06/07 - 102.6

07/08 - 122.2

08/09 - 130.8

Tony Romo

05/06 - NA

06/07 - 77.1

07/08 - 70.3

08/09 - 67.9

Kurt Warner

05/06 - 86.5

06/07 - 109.6

07/08 - 88.5

08/09 - 87.5

Ok, obviously this is comparing the two best QB's in the game right now to Tony Romo (I will look at some other guys in a little while) but right off the bat what do these numbers tell you? Look at all the 100+ ratings for Brady and Manning. Look at Romo, not a rating above 77.1

how are these stats compared to their first 12 games..........I can tell you.........warner has a drop off based on the stats you posted. December swoon for warner......

true. but then again, this was his first year as a starter. and even then, he took over mid-way thru for bledsoe. not totally unbelievable he didn't do well on that play.

Like I said he could change my opinion in the next 6 weeks, he hasn't yet.

I never said he sucks (at least not in the past year). I'm merely stating the reason for his strong numbers in the 2006 playoff game.

Roy Willams on the other hand does suck.

true--you didn't. i keep lumping you in with the "he sucks" crowd--my mistake.

and williams has absolutely lost me as a supporter.

how are these stats compared to their first 12 games..........I can tell you.........warner has a drop off based on the stats you posted. December swoon for warner......

maybe but it still shows that Romo is nowhere near the level of some of these better QB's playing the game right now.

I think we all recognize December as a difficult month for the passing game. More outdoor games are played in cold and windy conditions and the pressure of the playoff push is in full swing. So its not totally shocking when you see a QB have slightly worse numbers in December.

But we can clearly see that the cream of the crop doesn't have as much of a problem late in the year as Romo.

I have some more numbers for you Pimpbadly

Drew Brees

05/06 - 83.3

06/07 - 91.8

07/08 - 99.6

08/09 - 97.1

Big Ben

05/06 - 103.4

06/07 - 84.2

07/08 - 99.6

08/09 - 80.4

Chad Pennington (a guy with half an arm does better than Romo)

05/06 - NA

06/07 - 86.4

07/08 - 82.3

08/09 - 112.6

Matt Hasselbeck (because you are on the jock of all the Seahawk fans)

05/06 - 135.5

06/07 - 73.8

07/08 - 95.8

08/09 - NA

I have some more numbers for you Pimpbadly

Chad Pennington (a guy with half an arm does better than Romo)

05/06 - NA

06/07 - 86.4

07/08 - 82.3

08/09 - 112.6

In Pennington's 08/09, 112.6 season - he did have it pretty easy. Of the 4 teams he faced, the combined record for them was 22-38. in fact, only 1 had a winning record, the others were 6-6, 5-8, and 2-12............ Would love for Romo to get a December schedule like that - as we know, his is going to be hell.

In Pennington's 08/09, 112.6 season - he did have it pretty easy. Of the 4 teams he faced, the combined record for them was 22-38. in fact, only 1 had a winning record, the others were 6-6, 5-8, and 2-12............ Would love for Romo to get a December schedule like that - as we know, his is going to be hell.

still had 80+ the 2 years before that, and we all know playing in the meadowlands in december is no easy task.

still had 80+ the 2 years before that, and we all know playing in the meadowlands in december is no easy task.

Looking at our schedule - Romo will have to do even better than 80+ to win this month.

your qb info is wrong......those guys as do most qbs experience a december drop off. Screw the giants game.........they are done.......dallas will win big...I just bet some money on the double play for dallas.

I'm not going to lie - I'm worried about this game. Going to be the last time the Cowboys play in this stadium - the place is going to be crazed.

I'm not going to lie - I'm worried about this game. Going to be the last time the Cowboys play in this stadium - the place is going to be crazed.

the giants are done....they are dog food. Eli has regressed, they tainted the cowboys stadium with a magic marker and eli's sig on the wall......pay back is a beetch.........I am so getting paid with my bet........the NY Midgets are gonna get stomped.

Yea - and we faced a Washington team with a dreadful Campbell, their 1st & 2nd string rb's out, cooley, and few other key players gone. Won 7-6.... NY has the 2nd best pass defense in the league, will be Doug Free's 1st road start at RT, and yea - it's December........ Not saying I'm scared, nor am I convinced we will lose. Just saying I'm a little worried - has all the makings of an ambush.

Yea - and we faced a Washington team with a dreadful Campbell, their 1st & 2nd string rb's out, cooley, and few other key players gone. Won 7-6.... NY has the 2nd best pass defense in the league, will be Doug Free's 1st road start at RT, and yea - it's December........ Not saying I'm scared, nor am I convinced we will lose. Just saying I'm a little worried - has all the makings of an ambush.

dallas will be the team that shows up on sunday.........if they lose....they could go 0-3 in the next three games since they have the chargers and saints....if they beat the giants....then they are pretty much set as division champs barring a huge upset and can then focus on showing the league how good they are against the chargers and saints.

I am telling you..if the boys lose to the Gmen sunday it is bad bad news and they might fall apart......if they win big then dallas fans have as much right as any of the other top 7-8 teams to dream big.......romo has tossed only 4 ints since the week two giants game..........that is playoff caliber qb pay right there.....something that the dallas haters seem to lose sight of.......

I hope so.... We ran the ball down NY's throat in week 2. We need to do the same Sunday. Garrett gets nervous easily and abandons the run if/when we get down - I don't want the game in his hands, if that makes any sense.

your qb info is wrong......those guys as do most qbs experience a december drop off. Screw the giants game.........they are done.......dallas will win big...I just bet some money on the double play for dallas.

how is my QB info wrong?

Ive listed 7 guys with december QB ratings that are close to, match or exceed their seasonal ratings.

you asked for 5, you got 7 and I only looked at guys currently playing.

I hope so.... We ran the ball down NY's throat in week 2. We need to do the same Sunday. Garrett gets nervous easily and abandons the run if/when we get down - I don't want the game in his hands, if that makes any sense.

felix is now running without the knee brace and looks explosive again and MBIII seems fully healed......the run game should be back on all cylinders

how is my QB info wrong?

Ive listed 7 guys with december QB ratings that are close to, match or exceed their seasonal ratings.

you asked for 5, you got 7 and I only looked at guys currently playing.

dallas has an older offensive line and an very large offensive line.....they wear down as the season progresses......look at the sack totals during those decembers..........that explains most of the slump. cant be a stud qb if you are running for your life.......the line is to blame form 60-70% of the slump.

dallas has an older offensive line and an very large offensive line.....they wear down as the season progresses......look at the sack totals during those decembers..........that explains most of the slump. cant be a stud qb if you are running for your life.......the line is to blame form 60-70% of the slump.

so now you are just changing the subject.

you know, i hate to do this, especially since it's more than likely you talking to yourself, but you're both idiots (meaning you and the OP, Blue_Star_dipsh!t_crew). YOU'RE BOTH FREAKIN IDIOTS!!! The sacks increased because they played teams that sack a lot you doosh. Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens. That was 4 of the top 10 sack teams last year. As much as I like to take great joy in the Cowboys december struggles, it had more to do with the competition than it did the Cowboys. Hell, Steelers, Ravens and Eagles were all freakin conference finalists and Steelers won it all. I hate to say it, but there's no shame in losing to 2 of 4 best teams in the league AND the Superbowl champion. you and your "big older line" argument just got used...so please shut up.

you know, i hate to do this, especially since it's more than likely you talking to yourself, but you're both idiots (meaning you and the OP, Blue_Star_dipsh!t_crew). YOU'RE BOTH FREAKIN IDIOTS!!! The sacks increased because they played teams that sack a lot you doosh. Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens. That was 4 of the top 10 sack teams last year. As much as I like to take great joy in the Cowboys december struggles, it had more to do with the competition than it did the Cowboys. Hell, Steelers, Ravens and Eagles were all freakin conference finalists and Steelers won it all. I hate to say it, but there's no shame in losing to 2 of 4 best teams in the league AND the Superbowl champion. you and your "big older line" argument just got used...so please shut up.

now this is an interesting issue.........has dallas been cursed with a tougher than normal december schedule? Must reasearch this topic.......last year they did indeed face a brutal december lineup and this december is the same. I recall two years ago being difficult as well......this needs further research....I will get back to you......

I guess my question or point is that you wanted to shrug off Romo's december struggles by saying all QB's do it.

now that Ive given you some examples of guys who have not suffered a similar fate, you want to blame it on either a slow/aging offensive line or a harder than average schedule.

pick an excuse and stick to it

Dallas has quietly been winning games and have that division lead but Philly is nipping on their heels. That running game isn't stoppable, but Tony Romo is. The Dallas defense can generate a scary pass rush at times. I like the Cowboys, but Roy Williams has to be the softest player in the NFL and can't stand his game. On the other hand love Marion the Barbarian and Romo's never say die style on broken plays.

They are a contender but clearly not playing at the level of New Orleans or Minnesota. If they win the division I see a clear path to the 2nd rd but they will have to get through Minnesota and New Orleans to get to the Super Bowl. That's a tough job for any team that has ever played. I don't care if it's the 2005 Patriots or the 1985 Bears, the 2010 Vikings and 2010 Saints are beasts and beating those two teams to get to the Super Bowl is going to take a special team.

I guess my question or point is that you wanted to shrug off Romo's december struggles by saying all QB's do it.

now that Ive given you some examples of guys who have not suffered a similar fate, you want to blame it on either a slow/aging offensive line or a harder than average schedule.

pick an excuse and stick to it

December Schedule

2009 record so far

Giants - superbowl winner two years ago and top seed last year big division game on the road

chargers - 8-3 team......six game win streak and division leader.

saints - arguarbly the best tema in the nfl and undeiably a top 2 team. Perfect record and dallas plays them in New orleans.

redskins -- division game, bad team record wise but a very stout defense.

eagles - a january game but still post novemeber so here we go.....second best team in the nfc east and a wildcard team. nfc title game team last year.

2008 44-19-1 combined record

Steelers -won superbowl

giants - won superbowl year before, division champ and NFC 1 seed

ravens - made in to afc title game

Eagles - made it to NFC title game

this december does not matter.....they went 2-2 but rested starters that last game they lost.....it doesnt count........the only loss was a close 6-10 game to the eagles.

saints division winner 10-6 team

falcons 7-9 team

eagles division winner 10-6 team

lions

now this is an interesting issue.........has dallas been cursed with a tougher than normal december schedule? Must reasearch this topic.......last year they did indeed face a brutal december lineup and this december is the same. I recall two years ago being difficult as well......this needs further research....I will get back to you......

I posted this above, you must have missed it.

Under Romo, the Cowboys are 5-10 in December and January. In those 15 games:

-Of the 15 Cowboy opponents, 1 team was 3-13, 3 teams were 7-9, and the rest were 8-8 or better

So yes, I think it is less of a case of Romo and the Cowboys choking in December, and more of a case that the harder part of their schedule came at the end of the year,

and they played to their abilities, which weren't as good as their opponents. Or as Dennis Green might say, "They are who we thought they were!

As has been stated before, this year's December looks pretty challenging. We'll see if Romo, Wade, and the rest of the Cowboys have progressed any since last year.

I posted this above, you must have missed it.

Under Romo, the Cowboys are 5-10 in December and January. In those 15 games:

-Of the 15 Cowboy opponents, 1 team was 3-13, 3 teams were 7-9, and the rest were 8-8 or better

So yes, I think it is less of a case of Romo and the Cowboys choking in December, and more of a case that the harder part of their schedule came at the end of the year,

and they played to their abilities, which weren't as good as their opponents. Or as Dennis Green might say, "They are who we thought they were!

As has been stated before, this year's December looks pretty challenging. We'll see if Romo, Wade, and the rest of the Cowboys have progressed any since last year.

check my post above yours..............dallas has a brutal schedule in december this year and last years was hell on the gridiron...the past two years alone make me want to find out if a giants or eagles fan is setting these december schedules for dallas.

No team and I mean no team can succeed with the mine field of games dallas has had the past few years in december. It is insane. either way they need two wins to get the division and be 10-6 i really see dallas being 11-5 this year....i have them going 3-2 this december and january. the team has progressed and no one is talking about romo as having taken the next step......

Romo can still light it up stat wise with the best of them but he is playing the game close to the vest and not making mistakes......he has a defense now that allows him to do that.

Tony Romo has thrown just 4 ints since the week two loss to the giants.....let that sink in.............4 ints since week 2. that is an impresiive stat and how you need a qb to play to get wins in december and the playoffs and also .......the dallas d has quietly become a top defense.

someone will take this team lightly and not prepare for them and I assure you someone is gonna get upset in the playoffs by dallas.

but what happened to the "every QB falters in December" excuse?

but what happened to the "every QB falters in December" excuse?

they do...........teams get knocked out every year due to bad qb playing........ also........romo performed well enough to win in the seattle and the giants game.

they do

but I just gave you several examples of guys who don't falter <_<