Sign in to follow this  
murf74

Peterson

Is it me or has Peterson looked extremely ordinary most of this season?

Discuss....

Certainly not worthy of a top 5 FF draft choice let alone 1st.

We'll know by late July** what ADP's draft position should be.

**that's when Favre stops yanking everyone's chain and declares whether he'll play next season.

• 3rd in the league in rushing yards (1,389)
  • 1st in Rushing TDs (18)
  • 5th in receiving yards for RBs (436)
  • 2nd in FPts for RBs (290.5)

I guess it depends on your definition of "ordinary" but certainly worthy of a top 5 FF draft choice. <_<

I guess it depends on your definition of "ordinary" but certainly worthy of a top 5 FF draft choice. <_<

Wow. Didn't realize he posted those kind of numbers. I guess with the guady numbers C. Johnson put up week in and week out, ADP quietly put up a nice season.

I retract my statement (not the one about Favre focking around)

Is it me or has Peterson looked extremely ordinary most of this season?

Discuss....

As an owner, I actually feel it's a lot more of the OLine's play and the suspect running plays Childress has dialed up.

The OLine just isn't as dominant as they were the last few years. I think they lost a Pro-Bowl Center (Birk?), which explains some of it. But on 20-30% of AP's carries, he's getting hit, or re-directed before he gets back to the line. Nothing AP can do about that.

I don't know if they are designed this way, or if it's just Favre...but nearly EVERY handoff is telegraphed. It may sound silly, but Favre shows the DEF the ball (seemingly on purpose), which allows the LB's to crowd the line and commit more to the run. Also, the Vikings have been very predictable. Running on a lot of first downs, running on 2nd/3rd and shorts. I firmly believe deception and the element of surprise goes a long way in the NFL. Throwing the ball on 1st down. Running on 2nd and 13, mis-direction plays, fake the pass then hand off. The Vikings don't do any of that.

Will all of this change? Who knows. But I don't believe AP has lost a step, or looked ordinary. The dude put up his most impressive season DESPITE all these factors working against him. He's getting more involved in the passing game, is one of the best goalline backs in the league, and he's gonna get 300 carries each year. Top 3 pick from here on out.

stats aside he looks ordinary with the ball in his hand 2yards and a cloud of rubber pellets

ordinary

I'll take the 18 tds, but he hasn't had many long td runs as he has previous years. Still a top rb in my book.

I guess it depends on your definition of "ordinary" but certainly worthy of a top 5 FF draft choice. :overhead:

Oh snap.

Those numbers Mike posted say it all, ESPECIALLY considering Brett 'ball hog' Favre stealing TDs every week. At least that is what some Vikings fans/ADP owners have been complaining about on here all year.

I hope most in my local leagues feel the way some are suggesting here and it results in him falling in the draft, like the 2-5 range, 5 being very unlikely.

I may try to trade him in my keeper league next year.

I tried to get him via trade in a keeper this past year. Focker has CJ too. I still managed to beat this same owner the past two seasons in our conference finals and went on to win it all each year as well. :music_guitarred:

I think a lot of blame goes to the O-line. Much of the time AD is getting hit behind the LOS, and if he's not, there just aren't many lanes to run through. At the same time, AD needs to learn to be a better runner...exercise more patience setting up his runs....use better vision.

Dude's got immense talent so I don't think you can say he looks 'ordinary'.....but I think he can do a better job in utilizing that talent by becoming more patient....and you have to give the guy props for becoming a much better receiver....so his game is still evolving.

I think it has to do with his production leveling off and then declining the second half of the season again. I know this happened his rookie year where he came out like a wild man and then didn't have a 100 yard game the last 6 or 7 games. Same thing sorta happened this year.

Which coincides with the fantasy playoffs and the real playoffs, when the games are magnified. So I think it seems that he is just ordinary, but when you look at his season as a whole he's still a stud.

Those numbers Mike posted say it all, ESPECIALLY considering Brett 'ball hog' Favre stealing TDs every week. At least that is what some Vikings fans/ADP owners have been complaining about on here all year.

I hope most in my local leagues feel the way some are suggesting here and it results in him falling in the draft, like the 2-5 range, 5 being very unlikely.

Without Favre, he doesn't come anywhere near 18 tds.

Seriously, can you imagine the year Peterson would have had with Jackson trying to move the chains? 3 yards and cloud of astroterf... I'm thinking like 1200 yards and 8tds.

Without Favre, he doesn't come anywhere near 18 tds.

Seriously, can you imagine the year Peterson would have had with Jackson trying to move the chains? 3 yards and cloud of astroterf... I'm thinking like 1200 yards and 8tds.

You have it backwards. Without Peterson, Favre doesn't come anywhere near 30+ TD's. They both benefit, but defenses game plan around Peterson.

I keep waiting for some analyst to say AP has lost a step or is nursing injuries. When I watch him, I think he runs inside too much, and not with the authority of old. However, knowledgeable observers continue to defend him. Warren Sapp said today that the Vikings have in fact become a passing team and do not have their former commitment to the run. He thinks they run AP just enough to make the defense respect the rushing game so they can go airborne.

I keep waiting for some analyst to say AP has lost a step or is nursing injuries. When I watch him, I think he runs inside too much, and not with the authority of old. However, knowledgeable observers continue to defend him. Warren Sapp said today that the Vikings have in fact become a passing team and do not have their former commitment to the run. He thinks they run AP just enough to make the defense respect the rushing game do they can go airborne.

It's not like he's getting half-way through a hole and getting arm-tackled. Most of the time he's hitting the back of his OLineman in the backfield up the middle. I agree with an earlier poster, that with his ability, AP should exercise a little more patience, and possibly bounce a few of those inside runs to the outside, or at least off-tackle instead of simply taking a no gain.

But if you watch that OLine, no way can you blame AP for the running struggles....if you can call 1800 total yards and 18 TDs a "struggle"

I'll take the 18 tds, but he hasn't had many long td runs as he has previous years. Still a top rb in my book.

This is the only difference between the previous years and this one. He lacked the handful of long runs which jacked up his yardage totals. But he did catch more passes also which added to his totals. It is interesting how preseason with Favre coming in, the logic was his yards would increase while Favre would take some TDs from him but the opposite actually happened.

Brian Billick weighed in on this as well in an online chat today. He said he believes teams continue to overload against Peterson, curtailing AP's gains but opening up all these opportunities in the passing game which Favre is exploiting. I still think AP may have lost a little something, but the fact that so many experts doubt it makes me question my opinion. When Manning's TD passes declined, Pat Kirwan said that the Colts were taking what the defense was giving them. Maybe that's true of MN.

You have it backwards. Without Peterson, Favre doesn't come anywhere near 30+ TD's. They both benefit, but defenses game plan around Peterson.

I agree with this and hope it continues. If they leave it up to Favre in the next 2 games he will win his 2nd SuperBowl this time with the Vikings. They are stacking up against the run.

I've watched every Vike game this year and I think I have a very good handle on AD...

He's a great back, but not the possibly-greatest-all time everyone billed him to be. His struggles this year start with the O-Line, they simply have done a consistently horrendous job opening up lanes for him. The playcalling has not helped him either, nothing inventive, not enough outside run calls. Play action wasn't used enough, it isn't just an aid for the passing game. However, its not all to blame on them as their struggles have helped shed light on AD's running issues:

#1 - he is not patient enough behind the line - he often will plow into a pile for a 0 yard gain rather than wait a half second behind his line for something to develop. This is a desirable trait in some situations, but not all. The great ones possess patience.

#2 - his skills behind the line are lacking. Chris Johnson demonstrated how important behind the line skills are this year, he would charge up the middle in to a pile, stop, make the D colapse on him and then bounce outside, consistenly. AD will rarely do this, his quickness is not anywhere near CJ2K's, so when he attempts to stop and start in the backfield he is taken down easily.

#3 - he is easy to tackle in the backfield. Guy is a beast in the open field, but in the backfield he goes down easily. Once he has his speed and can keep the D in front of him, he's very difficult to tackle. But his first 3 steps are not as fast as he is given credit for and is tackled easily before he gets to the second level and up to speed.

#4 - fumbles. He doesn't hold the ball with any consistency. Sometimes its high and tight, sometimes he runs with it extended. Also, he doesn't wrap it up with his other arm in the process of going down.

CJ2K demonstrated far superior skills this year, and is no doubt the better back. AP can get back in the discussion this year if he spends his ofseason working on his quickness, fumbling, and adds some new moves to his backfield game to help him find cutback lanes and outside runs.

I'm hoping the coaching staff helps him against NO by calling more play action passes and some more inventive running calls to keep the D guessing. They haven't done a good job of that this year.

I've watched every Vike game this year and I think I have a very good handle on AD...

He's a great back, but not the possibly-greatest-all time everyone billed him to be. His struggles this year start with the O-Line, they simply have done a consistently horrendous job opening up lanes for him. The playcalling has not helped him either, nothing inventive, not enough outside run calls. Play action wasn't used enough, it isn't just an aid for the passing game. However, its not all to blame on them as their struggles have helped shed light on AD's running issues:

#1 - he is not patient enough behind the line - he often will plow into a pile for a 0 yard gain rather than wait a half second behind his line for something to develop. This is a desirable trait in some situations, but not all. The great ones possess patience.

#2 - his skills behind the line are lacking. Chris Johnson demonstrated how important behind the line skills are this year, he would charge up the middle in to a pile, stop, make the D colapse on him and then bounce outside, consistenly. AD will rarely do this, his quickness is not anywhere near CJ2K's, so when he attempts to stop and start in the backfield he is taken down easily.

#3 - he is easy to tackle in the backfield. Guy is a beast in the open field, but in the backfield he goes down easily. Once he has his speed and can keep the D in front of him, he's very difficult to tackle. But his first 3 steps are not as fast as he is given credit for and is tackled easily before he gets to the second level and up to speed.

#4 - fumbles. He doesn't hold the ball with any consistency. Sometimes its high and tight, sometimes he runs with it extended. Also, he doesn't wrap it up with his other arm in the process of going down.

CJ2K demonstrated far superior skills this year, and is no doubt the better back. AP can get back in the discussion this year if he spends his ofseason working on his quickness, fumbling, and adds some new moves to his backfield game to help him find cutback lanes and outside runs.

I'm hoping the coaching staff helps him against NO by calling more play action passes and some more inventive running calls to keep the D guessing. They haven't done a good job of that this year.

:mad:

You nailed it, man.

:dunno:

I guess it depends on your definition of "ordinary" but certainly worthy of a top 5 FF draft choice. :dunno:

agreed....peterson "ordinary" ??

we complain about his rookie yr durability, so he plays every game the past 2 seasons and leads the league in yds last yr.

we complain about his TD prowess compared to turner and deangelo, so he leads the league with 18rush TDs.

we complain about his ppr-rank, so he catches 43 passes [on par with johnson, mjd] for 435 yds [better than mjd and sjax, on par with forte and johnson] for a 10yd average [better than jackson, forte, and mjd].

boy, its a tough crowd when the league's single-game rushing leader and still premier 1a/1b rushing weapon gets tagged "ordinary".

Ordinary? No...it takes a special kind of a$$hole to fumble that many times in a championship game. :thumbsup:

How can we keep having the same discussion week after week?

There are two factors to consider. Fantasy vs Reality. As a fantasy RB he's much better than ordinary. He's a top 5 pick without a doubt. As an NFL RB he's ordinary. Sure his ability is extraordinary, and his performance is pretty extraordinary but his fumbling drops him to pedestrian. Puts him way below some awesome runners and he's certainly not an all time great.

Until he fixes his fumbling he's not as good as TD, Ricky Waters, Roger Craig, Marcus Allen, Thurman Thomas. I'm not even going to mention his name beside the greats like Emmit, Jim Brown, LT.

Can anyone honestly tell me TD wasn't better than Adrian?

Those fumbles are killers for teams and he deserves every bit of heat he gets for them.

I used to be his biggest fan, even trying to deny his fumbling problem for quite some time, but after last night's debacle there's no defense.

He is a liability to his team and proved to be a tremendous reason why they lost the biggest game the franchise has seen in many decades.

When the coach has to play the backup RB, not because you're injured, but because you can't hold the damn football, you're not very good.

He's not as 'talented' as many of you think he is, watch him more often and you will see.

His positives (and the reason he is the most overrated player in football): He's a physical specimen. He is fast (not quick), strong, and a nightmare to bring down (when you are in front of him and he is up to speed). His strength and speed make for many highlight reel plays which is the main reason he is overrated.

His negatives: He is not just not quick, his first 2 or 3 steps are brutally slow. He gets taken down easily if he gets hit before he gets up to speed, which is almost always. And the fumbles (although we should start pointing fingers at his coaching team because they have had time to correct this).

I was a huge AD fan going in to this year simply because I'd only seen 5 or so of his games. Having watched every touch this year carefully, he is an athletic freak with very ordinary talent -- making him a very good back but not great. For those who want to talk about how great his stats are, please first consider that Chester would not be a significant statistical drop off, if there even would be any.

Chester would not be a significant statistical drop off, if there even would be any

So true. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Taylor run, seen what looked like #28, and thought "damn, what a great run by AP!" only to realize it was #29. Chester had 1,500 total yards (in 15 games) the year before Peterson arrived. He's looked as good as AP, especially this year since he fits the Favre/pass-heavy offense much better.

Yes, Peterson needs to hold onto the damn ball, but I place more of the blame for Sunday's loss on the idiot coaching staff.

1) Calling run plays up the gut like they do doesn't utilize Peterson's talents AT ALL. Like someone else said here, AP is fast but he is NOT quick. They needed to find a way to get him into SPACE. The handful of times they did that he did just fine! The playcalling in MN has been absolutely terrible all year long.

2) Geezus could the O-line give Favre more than a second and a half to throw the ball?! The coaches should've seen that and either given the OTs some help or called some quick pattern or play action pass plays to exploit the rush of the defensive line. GEEZUS.

3) 12 men in the huddle AFTER A TIMEOUT at the END OF THE GAME, resulting in a penalty that pushed them OUT OF FG RANGE. I will never forgive them for that. Absolute idiocy. These guys are paid MILLIONS of dollars to coach this game, and they can't count to 11? Seriously? Now, there's no saying Longwell would've made that long FG, but it would've been nice to take a SHOT!

And guess what, we get 2 more years of Childress. *throws confetti* I can't wait.

Jaxie - the less forgivable coaching error in that series was Childress' overall approach to the series. 12 men in the huddle was a mistake, I can accept a mistake - I can't accept idiocy, and that is exactly what his playcalling in the last 2 minutes was. He had Favre, and one of the greatest passing offenses in the league this year, with a perfect ammount of time left to drive the field and he calls repeated run up the guts for 0-2 yards. He was clearly more concerned with running the clock out and getting in to OT than winning the game. Some of the worst coaching I've ever seen, had he stayed agressive, Favre would have a had a great chance in using that clock and getting them around the 20 yard line or better for a last second FG.

I was beside myself with how terrible that 2 minute drive was. Consider, would they have even gotten anywhere near FG range if not for Taylors 12-15 yard run which put them there? Childress is lucky that happened or he would be getting alot of media attention for not even giving them a chance to get in to range.