Sign in to follow this  
Ravens 03

Shutter Island - The movie

:wave: Excellent. :dunno:

You don't know what happens until the end.

That's all I'm saying.

Go see it!

Was it like jump out of your seat scary? Or just eerie and creepy?

Was it like jump out of your seat scary? Or just eerie and creepy?

Not "jump out of your seat" scary.

But don't read any reviews that spoil it for you.

You can't figure it out until the end, and even then it will take you a while.........

You can't figure it out until the end, and even then it will take you a while.........

They spent a little to long explaining it if you ask me. Guess writers have to dumb stuff down so more people understand.

Still a fantastic movie. Doesn't have the same umph as similar Scorsese films though. The last line is perfect. Puts a nice perspective on things. Go see it if you haven't.

I must say that the Scorsese + DiCaprio combo is brilliant. I can't come up with a better actor/director combo in the business.

DiCaprio is just a great actor..For those morons who can't get past titanic, that's your loss. The dood is solid.

Movie dragged on a bit....but was still very entertaining. Was not at all what I expected it to be.

and agree..that last line was really cool.

:D Excellent. :(

That's all I'm saying.

Go see it!

I can't believe Darth Vader turns out to be his father! :shocking:

They spent a little to long explaining it if you ask me. Guess writers have to dumb stuff down so more people understand.

Still a fantastic movie. Doesn't have the same umph as similar Scorsese films though. The last line is perfect. Puts a nice perspective on things. Go see it if you haven't.

I must say that the Scorsese + DiCaprio combo is brilliant. I can't come up with a better actor/director combo in the business.

I'm a big fan of the Burton/Depp combo too.

I can't believe Darth Vader turns out to be his father! :wacko:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

:wacko: Excellent. :pointstosky:

That's all I'm saying.

Go see it!

Bruce Willis was a ghost?

Bruce Willis was a ghost?

Don't go spoiling it for everybody. :shocking:

I am guessing they set this up as DiCraprio goes into the place to investigate some problems, but in reality was being sent there as a patient, and you go through the entire movie thinking he is fighting to expose the place, when in reality his insanity is thinking he is investigating or something... :shocking:

Don't go spoiling it for everybody. :shocking:

I never saw the sixth sense and I know what happens at the end because of a song :rolleyes:

I am guessing they set this up as DiCraprio goes into the place to investigate some problems, but in reality was being sent there as a patient, and you go through the entire movie thinking he is fighting to expose the place, when in reality his insanity is thinking he is investigating or something... :shocking:

If you really want to know, read the book.

If you really want to know, read the book.

I will I guess.

Currently I am reading three books, once I get through them I will consider it.

I will I guess.

Currently I am reading three books, once I get through them I will consider it.

You won't be disappointed. It was a good one.

DiCaprio is just a great actor..For those morons who can't get past titanic, that's your loss. The dood is solid.

I agree with you, and I am a tuff sell. He started out cute but transended his looks. He plays a bad ass real well.

I'm going with Ray Lewis on this one...but I am a Scorsese fan, so I might want to check this out.

:overhead:

Anything Scorcese does is gold so this movie is likely good as well - If I was going to the movies in the next few weeks this would be the one I would want to see..

I ended up seeing it.

Very well done and a complete mindfock.

At the end I still wasn't sure what had happened until I gave it some extra thought.

I wouldn't call it a mindfock, unless you have a small, easily fockable mind. I found it a bit slow and they overexplained the ending.

I wouldn't call it a mindfock, unless you have a small, easily fockable mind. I found it a bit slow and they overexplained the ending.

agreed -- I saw it and this was one of Scorcese's weaker efforts. Quite a step down from Departed IMO. Even though i think Leo is one of the more underated actors in hollywood.

Well than that's settled.

Thanks for your input Ebert

agreed -- I saw it and this was one of Scorcese's weaker efforts. Quite a step down from Departed IMO. Even though i think Leo is one of the more underated actors in hollywood.

Yeah I've grown to really like Leo after thinking he was a lil ###### when he was a kid. Really liked the Departed and thought he was good in Shutter Island, but he couldn't save it.

I saw it last weekend. I read the book 2 years ago and have been looking forward to seeing the film. Mostly because my wife hasn't read the book and I wanted to see if not knowing the ending made the movie better or worse.

She enjoyed it even though its not exactly a feel good flick. I thought it was pretty true to the book, except for the end line. That line is NOT in the book and I think they did that so you could leave the ending up to interpretation. Those who've read the book will take it to mean one thing and those who haven't could take it another way.

That's all I'll say as to not give it away.

Look its a decent flick and better than most of the garbage out there -- but when you see Scorcese - you expect another level of film making. So when folks are saying they are dissapointed it doesn't mean they don't think it was good just not the wow factor most scorcese flicks have.

I thought it was real good, but going against a lot of the crap I've seen lately it may not of been a hard sell. Not a GREAT movie, but I thought it was worth seeing.

I was dissapointed. But then again I had unreasonable expectations going in because the book was really, REALLY good. If you think the movie is a mindfock you should've read the book (obviously it's a little late now if you've seen the movie). It made me question my own sanity. The movie didn't even approach that level, IMO.

Saw it last night via online streaming. Meh. Overrated imo, honestly, not even bullsh1tting on this, i saw the general twist from the get-go. Obviously i didn't see how everything that was going on would tie up like it did, but i had an idea of what was going was going to happen and it ended up being right.

By the way people were talking, i was waiting for another twist that he really was a cop that was completely set up. Unless i am missing something; people said you won't get it until the VERY end. I thought the ending was he re-lapsed again, and this whole thing was just a loop in a his mind. I thought that was obvious, but i might have missed something. Again, right when the movie started and everyone was talking about a "mind fock" twist i said "It better not be he is really a patient who is just having delusions and everything is set up to get him to realize he is a patient, because that is far from a mind fock" seriously that is exactly what i thought. You have to remember i am a Lost fanatic, and ever since watching that dreadful A Beautiful Mind, i am always watching out for that with movies like this. Seriously, a bit off base, anyone else thing that movie really sucked? Great true story, but really boring and the twist was like "Ok then, he's nuts" and that's the movie.

That being said, it is a solid movie for sure, great acting and well written. I was just expecting the twist to be something more than it was by the way people were talking about it.

If you liked this steaming pile of crap you deserve a lobotomy. :pointstosky:

If you liked this steaming pile of crap you deserve a lobotomy. :ninja:

Dicaprio and a decent plot made it worth watching. I watched it free online so it wasn't too bad. I was just disappoint in this so called "mind fock" twist.

bumparooni

:wave: Excellent. :dunno:

That's all I'm saying.

Go see it!

I disagree. After 20 minutes, I said "either this, or this" will happen at the end, and sure enough, I was correct.

It is as predictable as all the other movies of this kind. It was still good though, and they try the entire movie to make you think that your early predictions were wrong, even though they were right.

Saw it last night via online streaming. Meh. Overrated imo, honestly, not even bullsh1tting on this, i saw the general twist from the get-go. Obviously i didn't see how everything that was going on would tie up like it did, but i had an idea of what was going was going to happen and it ended up being right.

By the way people were talking, i was waiting for another twist that he really was a cop that was completely set up. Unless i am missing something; people said you won't get it until the VERY end. I thought the ending was he re-lapsed again, and this whole thing was just a loop in a his mind. I thought that was obvious, but i might have missed something. Again, right when the movie started and everyone was talking about a "mind fock" twist i said "It better not be he is really a patient who is just having delusions and everything is set up to get him to realize he is a patient, because that is far from a mind fock" seriously that is exactly what i thought. You have to remember i am a Lost fanatic, and ever since watching that dreadful A Beautiful Mind, i am always watching out for that with movies like this. Seriously, a bit off base, anyone else thing that movie really sucked? Great true story, but really boring and the twist was like "Ok then, he's nuts" and that's the movie.

That being said, it is a solid movie for sure, great acting and well written. I was just expecting the twist to be something more than it was by the way people were talking about it.

I thought that the ending was that he PRETENDED to relapse. The last "therapy" breakthrough actually stuck, and he wanted to die because of what he did. That's why he pretended to have a relapse. He then, before they took him off, said that it's better to die a hero than live a monster" or something like that. That right there showed his doctor that he was actually "healed" and just wanted to die because he didn't want to live his life knowing that he was a monster.

I agree with you though. The movie was like most others, in that you could formulate the ending quite easily from the get go. They try to mess you up by making your original theory look like it's impossible, up to the end when they show you that you were right all along. Whoever didn't guess the outcome is an obvious moron who has no vision or hope for the future... you know, Obama supporters.

Waste of time. You know from the first 'headache' what's going on.

I was in denial the whole time.

I really wanted to believe they were trying to turn him into a patient, as opposed to him being a patient.

I watched it a 2nd time and if you watch again, it's pretty far fetched for them to allow a patient to do all that stuff and have all that access.

still a great movie though

I was in denial the whole time.

I really wanted to believe..........edited cause edjr is one of the all time greatest fockups......

nice use of the spoiler button fucko :nono: