Sign in to follow this  
Joey Gladstone

Seahawks fans

At least if he falters they have David Carr! :lol:

Why didn't you guys trade for McNabb again?

all Alex Smith did after taking over during week 6 was complete 60% of his passes for 18 td's and 12 int's and a QB rating of 81.5

not elite but not too shabby and the 49ers obviously upgraded the offensive line for him.

most people seem to say that the 49ers should be the favorites in the division as long as Alex Smith doesn't kill them. What no one mentions is that Alex Smith may be the best QB in the division as well

all Alex Smith did after taking over during week 6 was complete 60% of his passes for 18 td's and 12 int's and a QB rating of 81.5

not elite but not too shabby and the 49ers obviously upgraded the offensive line for him.

most people seem to say that the 49ers should be the favorites in the division as long as Alex Smith doesn't kill them. What no one mentions is that Alex Smith may be the best QB in the division as well

Alex Smith is not better than Matt Hasselbeck.

Alex Smith is not better than Matt Hasselbeck circa 1997.

fixed

Alex Smith is not better than Matt Hasselbeck.

Agreed. I'm going to need to see more then a partial season of not sucking before I give Smith the benefit of any doubt. He looked like he had made strides in 2006 too.

Agreed. I'm going to need to see more then a partial season of not sucking before I give Smith the benefit of any doubt. He looked like he had made strides in 2006 too.

even if we dont give him any benefit of any doubt the point is when you look at the QB landscape in that division, it makes me wonder why people are acting as if Smith is what will hold the 49ers down from being the favorites.

Old Man Hass

Party Boy Leinart

Rookie Bradford

Alex Smith

do we really see a QB that stands out enough to say "The 49ers would be the class of this division but the QB position will really hold them back and thats why team XXXX could be the favorite instead"

ESPN.com via Seahawkaddicts.com

According to ESPN injury expert and physical therapist Stephania Bell, who spoke with Mike Sando about Washington's injury, the 27-year-old Washington has a good chance to come back 100 percent for training camp.

"Based on what he is doing right now, it looks pretty promising," Bell said. "His injury was a terrible injury, a compound fracture with lots of blood, very messy, gruesome and a tough injury to come back from. He has continued progress to make. But where he is at in this time frame bodes well. He is doing straight-line running already. Plus, he is relatively young."

Bell went on to call the Seahawks' investment in Washington "reasonable," and Sando pointed out a few other factors in why concerns should be minimal about their newest backfield addition. Among those? Washington only has 370 career carries, which is considerably low for a player of his talent. His body will have sustained much less punishment than a lot of other oft-used backs of his age in the league.

I think that point was a compelling reason as to why Pete Carroll jumped at the chance to grab him. Running backs usually taper off most of their production in the NFL when they hit 30, but Washington's legs could conceivably carry him a lot farther than that. And given that he'll be sharing time with LenDale White and Justin Forsett, the odds continue to favor Washington's role in this three-headed ground attack.

Bell concludes her opinion with the following bit of encouragement:

"Once it heals, it's pretty solid," Bell said. "It was nasty and horrible to go through, but once it heals, it should be a one-and-done type injury. It all depends on the healing. If someone heals well from this, they can do really well."

Good to hear. :dunno:

even if we dont give him any benefit of any doubt the point is when you look at the QB landscape in that division, it makes me wonder why people are acting as if Smith is what will hold the 49ers down from being the favorites.

Old Man Hass

Party Boy Leinart

Rookie Bradford

Alex Smith

do we really see a QB that stands out enough to say "The 49ers would be the class of this division but the QB position will really hold them back and thats why team XXXX could be the favorite instead"

You forgot the X-factor that is Charlie Whitehurst. Sure, he is extremely unproven, but Smith hasn't shown a whole lot more.

And while I would agree that the Niners are the most talented team in the division, it's not by such a margin that they could overcome bad Alex Smith showing up. I think Smith has as much chance of having a big year as Hass does bouncing back, Whitehurst emerging, Leinart proving his doubters wrong, or Bradford having a surprisingly good rookie season.

The Niners are the favorites, but they are far from being overwhelming. They should have jumped at getting McNabb for cheap and locked up what they have failed to do for the past 8 years.

:o

I wish we had your first round pick this upcoming year. The Broncos are going to really suck.

A nice article about Seattle's next HOF'er:

Walter Jones

:rolleyes:

The only thing hall worthy that Seattle has is fans that qualify for the "Delusional Hall of Fame"...your players barely make it "Hall of Ordinary"

The only thing hall worthy that Seattle has is fans that qualify for the "Delusional Hall of Fame"...your players barely make it "Hall of Ordinary"

I've quoted this stupidity. Amazing that you don't think Walter Jones is worthy of the HOF. I will bump this post the day he is inducted. No wonder you got shitecanned at your last job. S-t-o-o-p-i-d!

And while I would agree that the Niners are the most talented team in the division, it's not by such a margin that they could overcome bad Alex Smith showing up. I think Smith has as much chance of having a big year as Hass does bouncing back, Whitehurst emerging, Leinart proving his doubters wrong, or Bradford having a surprisingly good rookie season.

exactly my point. if they are the most talented team AND Smith has an equal shot as the other division QB's... then San Fran would still be the team to beat regardless of Smith imo.

exactly my point. if they are the most talented team AND Smith has an equal shot as the other division QB's... then San Fran would still be the team to beat regardless of Smith imo.

Yeah, you're right. We just disagree on where Smith is at. We'll see what happens.

:thumbsup:

Jones is a Hall of Famer

Jones is a Hall of Famer

Without a doubt..............

Walter Jones, the uncomplicated superstar, retires

DAVE BOLING; STAFF WRITER

Last updated: April 29th, 2010 04:02 PM (PDT)

If you start cataloging the many volumes of praise for Walter Jones, a pretty decent place to start might be a comment from his former coach, Mike Holmgren, who called him the best offensive player he ever coached.

Remember that Holmgren also coached such players as Jerry Rice, Joe Montana and Brett Favre. Mere inclusion in that discussion would mean that Walter Jones was among the best players in the history of the National Football League.

Note the use of the past tense. Jones, 36, announced his retirement from the Seattle Seahawks today – the result of the cumulative physical toll of 13 years in the league, which caused him to be sidelined most of the past two seasons.

The news releases will mention his nine Pro Bowls, and will attempt to quantify his dominance on the field and his widespread regard as one of the best left tackles to ever play.

Harder to capture is the impact on this franchise of his quiet demeanor and professionalism, and how many teammates and fans were moved by his unwavering dignity and humility.

This region never had a superstar who managed to go so unexamined, who kept such a low profile. That’s who Walter Jones is and always will be; singular and unique, a man unto himself.

Former Hawks general manager Randy Mueller recalled when the team brought him to its headquarters for an interview the week before the 1997 draft.

“He was wearing a sweatshirt and jeans and he didn’t say ‘Boo’ the whole time he was here,” Mueller said. “He was hard to get a read on, but you knew he was uncomplicated and pure.”

Uncomplicated and pure … not modifiers generally applied to superstar athletes.

“And he never changed,” Mueller said. “He just kept working, kept his mouth shut, and kept getting better and better. In 25 years, I’ve never been around anybody like him. We’re all very fortunate to have had time with him.”

Friend and fellow Seahawks lineman Robbie Tobeck certainly spent a great deal of time with Jones, and shared some of his insights on the Walter Jones that fans never got to know.

“He’s more of a competitor than people realize,” Tobeck said. “He’s so good and has such great ability, it almost looks effortless when he’s putting somebody on his back. And the reason for it is how hard he works. He wasn’t some superstar who took days off. He’s also one of toughest human beings I’ve ever been around … the man laughs at pain.”

Laughs at pain? Tobeck told of going into the training room late one season when Jones’ shoulder was in dire need of surgery. The trainers were moving his arm to stretch it out into the range of pain. Jones’ response? Laughter.

Because of Jones’ reputation, pass rushers would gear up to try to make their mark against him. Many would try to get in his mind by talking trash.

“Walt would always just ignore them, but it would tick me off and I’d talk trash back for Walt,” Tobeck said. “Walt never said a word, but once the game started, he just wore those guys out.”

Game after game, film studies in the offensive line meeting room would highlight remarkable efforts by Jones, but, according to Tobeck, Jones never made a comment. The other linemen were in awe, though.

“Chris Gray always sat behind me and he’d say, ‘Get ready, wait ’til you see what Walt does on this play,’ ” Tobeck said.

Tobeck remembered one play when San Diego Chargers safety Rodney Harrison came flying toward the pile just before the whistle, looking to nail an unwary lineman. Jones caught him out of the corner of his eye, and when Harrison was about to unload on him, “Walt just barely flexed his elbow and Harrison went flying,” Tobeck said.

Everybody cheered. Jones said nothing.

“You talk about having pride, but not being prideful … he was the epitome of that,” Tobeck said. “A lot of guys with that kind of ability could go a lot of different ways; I was always amazed at how humble he was.”

Tobeck thinks that Jones is a product of his early environment, growing up modestly in the rural South. He never seemed interested in the spotlight.

“I was always intrigued by something he used to say,” Tobeck said. “He used to say that he never wanted to play for anybody but the Seahawks because he didn’t want to have to (get to know) more people.”

In the end, fame, wealth, success and acclaim never affected Walter Jones in the least.

We may expect him to slip into retirement, presumably in a sweatshirt and jeans – just as he arrived.

He may not have changed. But he changed the nature of this franchise, influenced the people around him, and may have forever altered the way people will judge others who attempt to play the position he mastered.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/04/29/v...l#ixzz0mXfhrPQZ

:lol: :lol: :music_guitarred:

Thanks for the Memories Big Walt!

Next stop:

1-Qwest Field Ring of Honor

2- Canton, OH

1. Oh yeah...welcome to the hallowed halls of "Never done anything"

2. Jones likely deserves Canton...every franchise gets a token inductee, right?

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: jgcrawfish.

· View this post

· Un-ignore jgcrawfish

:dunno:

I believe Seattle also retired his number yesterday.

:mad:

:dunno: for all his future endeavors.

Link

Lawyer Milloy re-signs with Seattle

Safety Lawyer Milloy re-signed with Seattle, accepting a one-year deal according to the league's official Web site.

Milloy joined Seattle in September last season after the team released veteran Brian Russell. He played an increasingly significant role as the season progressed.

Milloy played last season on a one-year contract, but even after that expired, he continued to be listed on the team's roster in the hope he would return to play for coach Pete Carroll, whom he previously played for in New England.

Milloy is 36, attended high school in Tacoma and played in college at Washington

Going into the draft, I get complained about the biggest weakness on the team was the defensive secondary, more than the offensive line, more than the defensive line. Not only did we add 3 draft picks to it, now we re-add the mentor.

I'm OK with the offensive line now too.

Where the hell do we get D-line help?

Link

Lawyer Milloy re-signs with Seattle

Safety Lawyer Milloy re-signed with Seattle, accepting a one-year deal according to the league's official Web site.

Milloy joined Seattle in September last season after the team released veteran Brian Russell. He played an increasingly significant role as the season progressed.

Milloy played last season on a one-year contract, but even after that expired, he continued to be listed on the team's roster in the hope he would return to play for coach Pete Carroll, whom he previously played for in New England.

Milloy is 36, attended high school in Tacoma and played in college at Washington

Going into the draft, I get complained about the biggest weakness on the team was the defensive secondary, more than the offensive line, more than the defensive line. Not only did we add 3 draft picks to it, now we re-add the mentor.

I'm OK with the offensive line now too.

Where the hell do we get D-line help?

It'll be huge for Thomas and Chancellor to play with Milloy for a season. The guy has just about seen it all.

I think we're banking on Carroll's scheme to improve our d-line. As of now the only options are guys like Adalius Thomas and Leonard Little. Maybe we can snag a decent summer cut. There's always the chance that LoJack steps up as well. :blink:

Sando's notes from Seattle's first post-draft minicamp:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/...ahawks-practice

Branch is sidelined, big shocker :banana:

I had no idea Housh recently had hernia surgery.

Trufant looks like he's recovered from his back ailments.

I was hoping to hear something encouraging on Whitehurst. No mention of him.

LenDale looks slim

Tate is going to be GOOD.

So, so you're ignoring me here...

no, it's flahawker...they're actually really easy to keep straight...flahawker is a whiny doosh...phillybear is just a doosh.

Then providing a link should be no problem. Geez I am not suprised your last job canned your arse.

and yet responding to a post a day later while clearly not ignoring me...so which is it doosh? can't figure out whether you :wub: or :angry: me...but you sure like following me around :rolleyes:

:thumbsdown:

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: jgcrawfish.

· View this post

· Un-ignore jgcrawfish

:pointstosky:

Sando's notes from Seattle's first post-draft minicamp:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/...ahawks-practice

I had no idea Housh recently had hernia surgery.

So getting away from all the distractions, what the fock is up with this?!? I haven't heard anything about his groin hurting until yesterday. Of course Branch is having all the usual problems with his knee. Are we looking at having to give Mike Williams some serious playing time this season?!? :pointstosky:

So getting away from all the distractions, what the fock is up with this?!? I haven't heard anything about his groin hurting until yesterday. Of course Branch is having all the usual problems with his knee. Are we looking at having to give Mike Williams some serious playing time this season?!? :unsure:

I heard both were routine procedures. Unless someone comes up with an actual injury, I wouldn't worry about it now.

June will be a different story.

I heard both were routine procedures. Unless someone comes up with an actual injury, I wouldn't worry about it now.

June will be a different story.

This is why I wanted Crabtree last year. Could you imagine if the Hawks had TJ, Crabtree and Golden Tate? :lol:

Boling: Seahawks rookies look like stars, then like rookies

DAVE BOLING; STAFF WRITER

RENTON – During stretches of Seattle Seahawks minicamp, Russell Okung, Earl Thomas and Golden Tate have looked like savvy veterans.

And on others, they play like raw rookies who miss their man, blow assignments, or drop balls.

Their minicamp performances with the Seahawks are the perfect example of the trials of rookies, and how breaking into the league is a difficult process, even for the most physically talented prospects.

“I feel like I’m swimming a little bit. I’m a bit overwhelmed,” said Okung, one of the team’s first-round draft picks, who has been plugged in at starting left tackle.

Okung was so impressive Friday that coach Pete Carroll marveled that he could be so competent. Saturday was far tougher.

On one play, as he tried to pass-block defensive end Nick Reed, Okung backed up so fast he tripped quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Tate, the team’s second-round pick, has been a visible addition, especially Friday, when he caught several deep balls in team sessions.

On one, he went up for a ball between safety Jordan Babineaux and cornerback Marcus Trufant and pulled down a big-gainer. On another, he beat corner Josh Wilson for a nice gain up the sideline.

But he’s had his drops, too.

“I made a few plays and also dropped a few passes I shouldn’t have dropped,” Tate said. “I was just coming out trying to show I can compete. They drafted me for a reason; that wasn’t to come in and not play, so I’m trying my best to earn my way and earn my respect on this team.”

Tate got some advice over lunch Saturday from quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who was sympathetic to his situation.

“I had lunch with him today and he basically said, ‘Hey, my head’s swimming right now. This offense is different,’” Hasselbeck said. “It’s hard for these guys coming in. We throw so much at them and it’s hard for all of us, but I thought that he’s done a nice job.”

Both Okung and Thomas are benefiting from having “big brothers” looking out for them on the field.

Part of the appeal of acquiring veteran guard Ben Hamilton was to tutor the young left tackle in the intricacies of coach Alex Gibbs’ zone-blocking scheme.

“You can see (Hamilton) talking to him the whole time,” Carroll said. “He understands that his role is to help, and Russell was able to take the calls and do something with them.”

For Thomas, a safety from Texas who was taken with the Hawks’ other first-round pick, the tutoring comes from an impeccable source: 15-year veteran Lawyer Milloy.

“There were some times when you could see Lawyer putting his arm around the young kid and checking him out and talking to him,” Carroll said.

And Thomas is happy for any help he can get … but especially from Milloy.

“He kind of took me under his wing,” Thomas said. “I sit by him in meetings and if I have any questions, he’d be the first person I ask.”

Thomas hasn’t yet come up with the kind of big plays that were his trademark at Texas, but he showed terrific closing speed getting to the ball on an interception that was made by Trufant in Friday’s practice.

“It’s kind of overwhelming,” Thomas said of the experience. “I see Julius Jones over there running the ball … I ask him for his autograph.”

Okung, meanwhile, has a low stance that looks a little out of place in the NFL; it appears to give him good leverage on run plays, but might be a liability in pass protection.

Tate gets out of his breaks quickly and looks very much the type who can make people miss after the catch.

Among the other rookies, tight end Anthony McCoy is an impressive athlete, with wide-receiver strides and nice hands at 6-foot-4, 259 pounds.

After pulling in a short pass Saturday, he met violently with another rookie, fifth-round strong safety Kam Chancellor. A huge defensive back at 6-3, 232 – probably stoked by adrenaline – Chancellor just went ahead and made a full tackle of McCoy, although the practice was not in pads.

Well, they brought these guys in to make the team more physical. Chancellor is taking it literally.

After Okung and Tate had made nice plays in Friday’s team session, another play combined a Tate dropped pass with an Okung false start.

Hey, it’s early and they’re young. So young they’re still tempted to ask teammates for autographs.

Dave Boling: 253-597-8440

dave.boling@thenewstribune.com

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/05/02/v...l#ixzz0moIqepwa

This is why I wanted Crabtree last year. Could you imagine if the Hawks had TJ, Crabtree and Golden Tate? :music_guitarred:

Yeah in hindsight that's who we should have drafted. After his retarded holdout I was relieved we didn't get him. My tune changed the first time I saw him play. :lol:

Hopefully Curry makes us all feel better about things.

I'm Mr. Pessimism, and I'm banging the drum for Curry. He'll be fine. I expect big things this year.

This looks like a pressure free fun year. I'll be sure to watch every minute of every game, to see the young guys develop. This team looked bad about a month ago. Now, it's a world of difference.

Yeah in hindsight that's who we should have drafted. After his retarded holdout I was relieved we didn't get him. My tune changed the first time I saw him play. :rolleyes:

Hopefully Curry makes us all feel better about things.

Had we taken him at 4 he probably would not have held out., From what I read he wanted to be paid like the #1 WR and the Raiders had already drafted DHB. But like you said, retarded holdout. My bggest probelm with the Curry pick was that it was forced. Ruskell created a need by trading Peterson. Thus Ruskell is now Chicago :thumbsdown: