Sign in to follow this  
9-Route

Jamarcus Russell released by Oakland Raiders

the oakland raiders finally did what most in the football world already knew should be done.

on thursday, they officially released qb jamarcus russell, the number 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5168757

the guy has been paid $39M over his tenure, and is now a free agent. he is still only 24-yrs old with some elite physical tools as far as size and arm strength. lots of rumors on which team or coach will take the chance on trying to tutor him and correct his professional habits, or lack thereof, and transform him into an nfl product.

Couldn't they have saved several million from a roster bonus to him by cutting him a few Fridays ago when everyone was speculating he'd be cut???

I'll have to dig up the story but I think he was guaranteed the $3 million bonus regardless if/when he was released.

I'll have to dig up the story but I think he was guaranteed the $3 million bonus regardless if/when he was released.

i believe that is correct; the discussion of releasing him before that weekend was that if he were to become injured during those team activities, the team may indeed be on the hook for his entire $9.45M compensation for 2010. thus, there was talk of his arriving and being present but not have any physical participation.

If i ever see him play in the NFL again, it'd be too soon. Lets hope this the beginning of the end for this guy. He is up 30 milion dollars. Dont think he cares either way. Well about 16million after taxes and agent fees.

"Don't expect to see any other teams rushing out to sign Russell, though we've heard rumors that the Colts may kick his tires down the road"

It will be a damn shame to see this guy put on the same uniform as Manning, if this was true. Just dissapear douche!

See ya JaNigamus. Worthless POS. Dude will be dead broke within 5-10. You can't be that stupid AND lazy and still be rich.

biggest bust in nfl history

If i ever see him play in the NFL again, it'd be too soon. Lets hope this the beginning of the end for this guy. He is up 30 milion dollars. Dont think he cares either way. Well about 16million after taxes and agent fees.

Well a third team just gave Adam Jones yet another chance. Jamarcus will latch on somewhere briefly.

If San Diego hadn't given up so much to move up a couple spots for Ryan Leaf, Russell would be the biggest bust in the history of the draft.

Thank you Al. The Raider Nation is rejoicing all over the world. :dunno:

To quote a fellow Raider fan, "Russell is to blame for where his career stands today. Al is to blame for that career having taken place in a Raiders uniform."

i actually wouldnt mind Shannahan working with him for 2/3 yrs while McNabb plays... he may have some trade value at some point if he can turn it around

biggest bust in nfl history

I hear people say that and I just don't know if I agree with it. Understand, I see him as a mega-bust, but I just don't know if he's the worst in league history.

I think of guys like Akili Smith and I see him as an equal bust with Russell. Smith was taken #11 in a draft year that was supposedly QB rich. Had it not been so deep at QB, Smith might have gone higher. And the money is a non-issue with me. Doesn't matter that Russell was paid more than a guy like Smith because the NFL pay schedule has changed since then and the dollar has fallen.

You have to look at all the guys who were taken as high 1st rd QBs and compare them statistically. Akili Smith played in 22 games over 4 seasons averaging 100 YPG with a 52 QB rating and 5 TDs with 13 picks. He also had 20 fumbles and a 46 completion percentage.

Russell had better career stats in only 3 seasons.

I think what *might* put Russell at the top is his #1 pick status.

I hear people say that and I just don't know if I agree with it. Understand, I see him as a mega-bust, but I just don't know if he's the worst in league history.

I think of guys like Akili Smith and I see him as an equal bust with Russell. Smith was taken #11 in a draft year that was supposedly QB rich. Had it not been so deep at QB, Smith might have gone higher. And the money is a non-issue with me. Doesn't matter that Russell was paid more than a guy like Smith because the NFL pay schedule has changed since then and the dollar has fallen.

You have to look at all the guys who were taken as high 1st rd QBs and compare them statistically. Akili Smith played in 22 games over 4 seasons averaging 100 YPG with a 52 QB rating and 5 TDs with 13 picks. He also had 20 fumbles and a 46 completion percentage.

Dude, Akili was like the 3rd pick.

Ryan Leaf is the biggest bust in NFL draft history, but Russell isn't far behind.

Ryan Leaf is the biggest bust in NFL draft history, but Russell isn't far behind.

X

Wow, I coulda sworn he was some where between 9-11 that year. At any rate, doesn't alter the point I was making. Big busts are big busts. (hehehehe)

Wow, I coulda sworn he was some where between 9-11 that year. At any rate, doesn't alter the point I was making. Big busts are big busts. (hehehehe)

There were a lot of QB's in that draft so it can be easy to get them confused. I think Cade McNown went around 10 or 11 that year.

And he was almost the 1st..Cleveland actually brought him in for interviews before deciding on Couch.

And he was almost the 1st..Cleveland actually brought him in for interviews before deciding on Couch.

:unsure: yep I remember that. They used Akili as leverage in Couch's contract negotiations. The only good QB in the first couple rounds (besides Daunte) went right in between them.

Good lord, I'm still laughing at this one. Good work.

Is he happy for leaving Oakland or his nearing retirement from football to become a consultant for Old Country Buffet?

:pointstosky:

:music_guitarred: yep I remember that. They used Akili as leverage in Couch's contract negotiations. The only good QB in the first couple rounds (besides Daunte) went right in between them.

1999 Draft:

1. Tim Couch - Cleveland

2. Donovan McNabb - Philly

3. Akili Smith - Cincinnati

11. Daunte Culpepper - Minnesota

12. Cade McNown - Chicago

Russell is a bigger bust than Leaf if you go by salary.

Leaf looks like a bigger bust because of Manning.

i think its just because you are Racist and Akili Smith was black...