Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

UFC 116 Lesnar vs. Carwin

While watching the 1st round, was anyone else wondering why the fight wasn't stopped? It seemed like Brock was toast.

I have to give him credit, he came out in the 2nd and took advantage of Shane's inability to go beyond the 1st.

While watching the 1st round, was anyone else wondering why the fight wasn't stopped? It seemed like Brock was toast.

I have to give him credit, he came out in the 2nd and took advantage of Shane's inability to go beyond the 1st.

Didn't think it should have been stop...was starting to get close to that point, but never quite made it, IMO.

With a match this big, you have to try to let them go as long as you can before making a call. Nobody wants a 1st round TKO.

With a match this big, you have to try to let them go as long as you can before making a call. Nobody wants a 1st round TKO.

Especially when you needed Brock to win after losing your ass earlier in the night.

:D

Especially when you needed Brock to win after losing your ass earlier in the night.

:D

Ended up being a losing night, nothing to fret over, but you are correct. I appreciated the win. Sucks that you go 2-2 and lose money.

Good card from what I saw. I ended up catching the whole Main Event. Thanks Kutulu :thumbsup:

Solid card I thought....real solid.

Main Event wasn't a let down in my eyes. I expected a 1st round finish. We got too see Carwin's power, but also that Brock has a chin and knows any sort of subs. Not sure how you beat Brock, when a guy of similar size with wrestling credentials rocks Brock and GnPs him for 3 minutes then loses.

Cain, I believe is a better wrestler than Carwin. I think Cain "could" stand his own until he gets under Lesnar. He just doesn't posses the punching power Carwin has, ad without that its hard to win a wrestling match with Lesnar. He will have to use his cardio and out point him or finish him late. It will have to be a true grind it out win.

Didn't think it should have been stop...was starting to get close to that point, but never quite made it, IMO.

I definitely don't think it should have been stopped, but during the round it was so one sided that I thought it was going to have to be. I think any other fight and the ref may have thought about it. Brock didn't punch back for a long period of time.

I thought the fight was over after a minute, when Carwin rocked him and got him down and just teed off on him. Gotta give Brock credit, he took it (most wouldn't have).

I could have done without the punching of his own chin after the fight.

Ended up being a losing night, nothing to fret over, but you are correct. I appreciated the win. Sucks that you go 2-2 and lose money.

I was just focking with ya, phillybear.

I'm not betting on anything until maybe college football starts.

One of the best top to bottom cards in a while. Bonnar and Leben wins were extremely impressive, and Chris Lytle needs to be in the mix for a title shot.

The main event was outstanding. Lesnar really needs to work on his boxing. For Brock to lose again, it's going to take a big guy like Carwin to do it. Lesnar is going to walk through Valazquez. Hopefully Carwin gets the winner of Dos Santos-Nelson for another title shot. If Carwin improves his cardio, he can beat Lesnar. I think there were a couple of points where the ref could have stopped that fight, but it was the right call to let it go. Either way, I was shocked that Lesnar weathered that. You could see in Carwin's eyes in between rounds that he was done. Impressive finish by Brock.

Next two cards are going to be good ones as well. That Boston card is absolutely stacked.

Brock responded (fought back) from the bottom when the ref told him to.

Was a Brock fan before tonight, but gained a TON of respect for his overall skill. No one takes a Carwin barrage like that. Especially not a guy who 'isn't a fighter' Carwin has retarded ability and had just been a complete buzzsaw. If anyone was going to beat Brock, Carwin was it and he came right out, punched him in the face, and then pounding him for an entire round and Brock showed some major grit and championship will to fight it off and take that pounding. I didn't think he had that in him. He's more than a marketing hype and big guy. That dude worked his ass off to not die, get back in shape, and come back and take THAT beating in his first fight.

Brock is a monster, and his attitude after the match was kind of nice to see. Disappointing from a fan perspective who liked to watch him flaunt after demolishing clowns like Mir, but good to see him respecting a guy like Carwin who deserves it. The fact that the only guy on the planet that could match his size and athleticism simply couldn't handle him on the ground. You can't stop him, short of a flash KO, but if he took those blows from Carwin I'm not sure you can knock him out anyway.

I thought it was refere-ed properly. If the ref isnt sure, he asks for a signal, brock gave it to him. If they are on the mat and one guy is being choked out, he can lift an arm to see if he is out etc.

:music_guitarred:

I was impressed with Brock's ability to take those punches. He clearly is no golden gloves boxer. His stand up is average at best. But if he can take shots from Carwin, it doesn't matter. I thought it was over as soon as Carwin was on top throwing blows.

He looked smaller than in other fights, obviously because of the surgery he had. He said he barley had to cut weight. It is definatly a good thing which will help his gas tank.

Not sure why people think he will "walk through" Cain. I have heard that from most people who have an opinion. If Brock came out, took Carwin down and Mir'd him, then I would say...Wow, no one is going to stop that. But in reality, Carwin shook off a Brock shot early in the fight, Carwin tagged him and sent him down. Carwin won the 1st round 10-8. What Brock did lat night was more a showing of him becoming a complete fighter. Not panicing while getting GnP'd, weathering the storm, coming out strong in the 2nd round, controlling a gassed Carwin and not sitting on him, but actually going for the sub to finish right then and there.

But in no way did that performance tell me he runs through the rest, because he was far from running through Carwin. Carwin gassed, and Brock took advantage. The fight shows me Brock is learning every day, and is a supreme athlete. Not that he is a gorilla that will take down and beat down every opponent.

Cain has the best gas tank in the HW division. Cain has better wrestling than Carwin. I think Brock takes it, but I could see Cain fighting/grinding for 3 rounds, or even takje it to a decision.

I'm on Sherdog quite a bit. Most of of is blind hate towards Lesnar...because so many were like "Carwin's going to demolish Brock..."

Then Brock wins....

Immediately they are like "Well...He may have beat Carwin, but Cain is going to beat him......" or "Dos Santos or Overeem will tear Brock up"

I think it's mostly WISHING and HOPING on their part.

What a lot of them don't understand (it appears), is that Lesnar had to fight with tenativeness....because Carwin had a super heavy hands AND decent takedown defense. It HAD to be in the back of Lesnars head...."What if I get in to take him down, and I don't get him down right away...and he then delivers a ko punch while I'm in the middle of attempting a takedown"

Cain will have good defense of takedowns....but because he is smaller, and lacks the same ko power that Carwin had, I think Lesnar won't have any second thoughts about coming in close right away, and getting Cain against the fence and taking him down.

Same with Dos Santos or Overeem (two other guys the Sherdog world are claiming will KO Brock with their stand up). He won't respect their TD defense. IMO, he won't worry about it. The second he gets ahold of either, they are on the ground.

I think the easiest way to beat Lesnar is to submit him.

People laugh when I say Overeem is dream matchup for Lesnar. No takedown defense. No ground game (from the botom). He'd be a sitting duck.

Not sure why people think he will "walk through" Cain. I have heard that from most people who have an opinion. If Brock came out, took Carwin down and Mir'd him, then I would say...Wow, no one is going to stop that. But in reality, Carwin shook off a Brock shot early in the fight, Carwin tagged him and sent him down. Carwin won the 1st round 10-8. What Brock did lat night was more a showing of him becoming a complete fighter. Not panicing while getting GnP'd, weathering the storm, coming out strong in the 2nd round, controlling a gassed Carwin and not sitting on him, but actually going for the sub to finish right then and there.

But in no way did that performance tell me he runs through the rest, because he was far from running through Carwin. Carwin gassed, and Brock took advantage. The fight shows me Brock is learning every day, and is a supreme athlete. Not that he is a gorilla that will take down and beat down every opponent.

I think those are fair points but I think Carwin has better boxing than anyone in the HW division, and that was the only shot to beat Lesnar. You're definitely right that Cain won't gas like Carwin did, though. I think that was what was most disappointing. Carwin was built up to be a much better fighter than he really is. At the end of the day, he's a big boxer with zero cardio that has never had to manage a fight before. I think he'll learn from this and we'll see a good rematch between him and Lesnar down the road.

As far as Cain-Lesnar goes, I think Lesnar's wrestling is too much for Cain to handle and he doesn't box as well as Carwin does to give Lesnar a fight on his feet. Taking the beating that he did told a lot about Lesnar. The question on him was how he would react to getting touched, and though he was close to getting beat, I don't think anyone else can get him in that same position. Who knows, though...everyone has that puncher's chance and it's why we love the sport.

I think those are fair points but I think Carwin has better boxing than anyone in the HW division, and that was the only shot to beat Lesnar. You're definitely right that Cain won't gas like Carwin did, though. I think that was what was most disappointing. Carwin was built up to be a much better fighter than he really is. At the end of the day, he's a big boxer with zero cardio that has never had to manage a fight before. I think he'll learn from this and we'll see a good rematch between him and Lesnar down the road.

As far as Cain-Lesnar goes, I think Lesnar's wrestling is too much for Cain to handle and he doesn't box as well as Carwin does to give Lesnar a fight on his feet. Taking the beating that he did told a lot about Lesnar. The question on him was how he would react to getting touched, and though he was close to getting beat, I don't think anyone else can get him in that same position. Who knows, though...everyone has that puncher's chance and it's why we love the sport.

I don't put Carwin in the top 3 of boxers in the UFC....and not really up there in MMA. He has power yes. But since when did power mean "boxing skills"? He got rocked and partially dropped by Gabe Gonzaga. JDS defiantly has better boxing. Cain I believe has much better boxing. Kongo...a kick boxer has better technical skills. Then overall MMA, I put Overeem, Arlovski, and more above him. Thing that set Carwi apart is many times it only takes 1 shot from him. His boxing doesn't need to be great, because he needs 1 shot.

I like Lesnar in pretty much any matchup you put him in. But I think people should respect Cain's skills. And his ability and desire to grind for as long as he can. If it was a Cain of the future....maybe 2-3 years down the road I would like him a little more than I do now. As it stands he is still a young and fairly inexperienced fighter. That experience can help anyone against Brock. Cain I believe should put on a little weight. At 6'1-6'2 and 240 he can put some weight on. Maybe get up to 250. He is most likely concerned with it taking away from his cardio though..

This fight reminded me of Lesnar/Mir I. Mir got the submission, but by watching the fight, you knew that LEsnar was beating the crap out of him. Same with Saturday's fight. Yes, Lesnar took advantage of an out-of-shape Carwin, but before that, it was as one-sided of an ass-whooping as I've seen. In fact, I thought for sure it was going to be stopped.

Lesnar/Carwin II will be an even bigger draw than this one was.

Carwin said his cardio was fine; body not

For what it's worth..... Carwin doesn't seem to be the type of guy to make something like this up....

That being said, he completely dominated Lesnar and will do it again....

That's the last guy in the world Brock will ever want to see again.... he looked like Rocky Dennis after that fight :doublethumbsup:

I was impressed with Brock's ability to take those punches. He clearly is no golden gloves boxer. His stand up is average at best.

You are a very kind man, good sir :cheers:

And Brock has been working with the very best boxing trainers for over a year....

He looked awkward out there.... and after he got hit with that uppercut..... he clearly wanted no part of boxing whatsoever.....

He did have a very nice "grabbing his ears for 2 minutes straight" defensive move, however :doublethumbsup:

No wonder so many are still clueless about the sport.

ESPN they are asking a question like "would you get in teh cage with Brock if you had a bat"?

The same network that covers the hot dog eating contest...or discusses who was snubbed from a exhibition game...

No wonder so many are still clueless about the sport.

ESPN they are asking a question like "would you get in teh cage with Brock if you had a bat"?

The same network that covers the hot dog eating contest...or discusses who was snubbed from a exhibition game...

What are you saying? Didn't ESPN show any highlights?

What are you saying? Didn't ESPN show any highlights?

A couple highlights. Maybe 1 minute of highlights. The rest nonsense. Boxing gets little to no coverage, but at least they talk about it when a big fight happens. At least have credible annalists, not Scott Van Pelt who has no clue, saying some funny thing about it.

I haven't played around with imbeding videos.

It's James Toney, doing another ignorant interview about his upcoming match with Couture.

It isn't a rule, but generally from what I see, MMA fighters are much smarter than boxers.

I haven't played around with imbeding videos.

It's James Toney, doing another ignorant interview about his upcoming match with Couture.

It isn't a rule, but generally from what I see, MMA fighters are much smarter than boxers.

:lol:

He is going to get his arse kicked. :music_guitarred:

I just watched the whole thing through.

Guy cracks me up. If he were on the street and out of fighting I'd think he were a crackhead.

The only think I heard in that interview (except a lot of Mushmouth "blub blub blub blub") was that he wanted Lesnar.

Brock would kill him.

I just watched the whole thing through.

Guy cracks me up. If he were on the street and out of fighting I'd think he were a crackhead.

These kind of things happen when you are not that smart to begin with and then you punched in the head repeatedly by 200 pound guys.

I only made it half way through and I just felt bad. He has no shot in the octagon. Kimbo would crush him.

These kind of things happen when you are not that smart to begin with and then you punched in the head repeatedly by 200 pound guys.

I only made it half way through and I just felt bad. He has no shot in the octagon. Kimbo would crush him.

His Gems are towards the end :thumbsup:

What's amazing is that Lesnar has just 1 loss in a very short MMA experienced career. That 1 loss he dominated the fight totally but made a typical rookie mistake. An experienced Lesnar - Dear God - maybe and I say Maybe Fedor a few years ago would have a chance now Fedor has kind of declined theres nothing that can beat Brock.

What's amazing is that Lesnar has just 1 loss in a very short MMA experienced career. That 1 loss he dominated the fight totally but made a typical rookie mistake. An experienced Lesnar - Dear God - maybe and I say Maybe Fedor a few years ago would have a chance now Fedor has kind of declined theres nothing that can beat Brock.

Well, to be fair, he just earned a win in a fight where he had the snot beat out of him. I'd say his Mir I and Carwin fights balance each other out.

Well, to be fair, he just earned a win in a fight where he had the snot beat out of him. I'd say his Mir I and Carwin fights balance each other out.

1 round then the next round he dominated on the ground. If anything it represents Brock has an unreal chin to take that beating. Mir I he dominated the entire fight got cocky and out of postion and exposed his ankle and Mir won in an Ankle lock. The second Mir fight the same thing only Brock learned his lesson. this fight Carwin is a great boxer and was able to win stand up everyone knew that -- everyone also knew that if Brock got on top with more than 2 minutes left it was over. Cain has zero shot as Brock as #1 the size difference.

I will say this was the best PPV in a LLLLLOOOOONNNGGGG time. all great fights I thought the Bonner fight was FOTN

I will say this was the best PPV in a LLLLLOOOOONNNGGGG time. all great fights I thought the Bonner fight was FOTN

First time I watched the entire card online for free...glad I did, very entertaining fights that night.

1 round then the next round he dominated on the ground. If anything it represents Brock has an unreal chin to take that beating. Mir I he dominated the entire fight got cocky and out of postion and exposed his ankle and Mir won in an Ankle lock. The second Mir fight the same thing only Brock learned his lesson. this fight Carwin is a great boxer and was able to win stand up everyone knew that -- everyone also knew that if Brock got on top with more than 2 minutes left it was over. Cain has zero shot as Brock as #1 the size difference.

whatever. Mir was geeting hammered and caught Lesnar. Lesnar was getting hammered and caught CArwin. CArwin admitted he knew he was in trouble. He had terrible leg cramps. Plus, having never been out of teh first round, his conditioning wasn't what it should have been. He'd destroy Lesnar next time. You only had to watch them when they were both fresh to see who the man in the ring was.

What do you find amazing about somebody sitting on an opponent 40-50-60 pounds less than him and when he finally gets somebody reasonable close to his size he gets utterly dominated and his face caved in and puffed out like The Elephant Man?

As we've discussed before, the 60 pound stretch from 205 to 265 has Brock fighting people that would never be allowed in any other weight classes... Defend the takedown, and Brock is toast because -- on his feet, he is a sad, awkward looking MMA fighter....

An "experienced Lesnar - Dear God, blah, blah, blah" .... I don't know what you are saying here... he's had over a year working non-stop with expert boxing instructors to work on his stand-up and he still looked silly (except for the grabbing his ears for two straight minutes boxing defense which he has perfected)..... Brock's stand-up is not getting any better. It's as good as it's going to get... If he can't take his opponent down, he is toast...

Admittingly, he is still a beast of a man.... but I see heavyweights getting bigger and better before I see Brock getting better....

HTH! :music_guitarred:

whatever. Mir was geeting hammered and caught Lesnar. Lesnar was getting hammered and caught CArwin.

Carwin did not get "caught". He gave everything he had and it wasn't enough, and then Brock took him down and submitted him with ease in the second. That is nothing like the way Brock was winning the Mir fight when Mir caught his leg. At no point did Mir have the upperhand until the last moment. Brock had Carwin from the start of the second round on.