Sign in to follow this  
phins2119

Jahvid Best

I watched Best a lot in college and always enjoyed watching him play. I think he is going to have a good season with the Lions this year. The one thing I'm not certain about is, what round would you draft him? It would seem that he is being given every chance to win the starting job. Would round 5 thru 7 be to early? Any help you can offer is appreciatted.

If he's still there in the 7th round, I'd consider him a steal. ADP right now seems to be early-mid 6th, and I've regularly seen him in the 5th in mocks and real drafts. If he tears it up in preseason, I could see him creeping a little higher, but 5-6th round seems about right.

I watched Best a lot in college and always enjoyed watching him play. I think he is going to have a good season with the Lions this year. The one thing I'm not certain about is, what round would you draft him? It would seem that he is being given every chance to win the starting job. Would round 5 thru 7 be to early? Any help you can offer is appreciatted.

Thats pretty much where hes gonna go but dont expect to see him in the 7th. 6th is pushing it and if theres a big fan, the 4th isnt out of question. the most important part is that you said "I think hes going to have a good season." With that statement, rank him accordingly in ur tiered list of rbs and if he falls to you it will be the exact value you were looking for. you will look at ur list and if he is at the top and you decide the best value at the time is rb, pick him.

Thats pretty much where hes gonna go but dont expect to see him in the 7th. 6th is pushing it and if theres a big fan, the 4th isnt out of question. the most important part is that you said "I think hes going to have a good season." With that statement, rank him accordingly in ur tiered list of rbs and if he falls to you it will be the exact value you were looking for. you will look at ur list and if he is at the top and you decide the best value at the time is rb, pick him.

Thanks for the friendly advice, appreciate it.

He's not a 1 cut an go runner. Typically RB's that aren't don't do well as rookies unless our Barry Sanders. Factor in a bad oline and Kevin Smith coming back -- right now Best is IMO a #3 I can see 230 - 800 yds 38 rec for 300 maybe 5 total scores.

that's just it.

Do you really want him or not? I've read whispers of Barry Sanders and I say pffft on that. However, I do believe Best has something really to offer for a ff owner this year. He will get the touches and receptions (especially early in the season), and that's all you can ask for. I think you will also be rewarded if your league gives bonuses for rushes and receptions over x amount of yards (I.E. - we get a 1 pt bonus for a rush over 20 yard, reception over 40 yards, and a pass over 40 yards). All these variables play into effect.

I was thinking late 4th if you really really want him. He might not make it back to you. OR you can have Spiller a round and a half later if you so desire.

I don't care what ADP's say. If you want a guy, take him early and don't look back.

If you mock enough, you'll be able to fill your team with players you target and want. Who cares where you draft them.

I would think it might depend on your first couple of rounds. If you don't get two RBs in the first three rounds, then Best in the late fourth early fifth, would be understandable. If you are sitting on a few RB's, I wouldn't touch him till the sixth/seventh.

I took him in the 4th, JStew was long gone, QB's went like crazy, and I started the TE craze with VDiddy (Yes, Vernon).

I took Best because his potential value was far greater than Bowe, etc. in my eyes and I wanted a RB as my flex this year no matter what for my 10 teamer.

I am VERY pleased with his ceiling/value at that spot.

that's just it.

Do you really want him or not? I've read whispers of Barry Sanders and I say pffft on that. However, I do believe Best has something really to offer for a ff owner this year. He will get the touches and receptions (especially early in the season), and that's all you can ask for. I think you will also be rewarded if your league gives bonuses for rushes and receptions over x amount of yards (I.E. - we get a 1 pt bonus for a rush over 20 yard, reception over 40 yards, and a pass over 40 yards). All these variables play into effect.

I was thinking late 4th if you really really want him. He might not make it back to you. OR you can have Spiller a round and a half later if you so desire.

I don't care what ADP's say. If you want a guy, take him early and don't look back.

If you mock enough, you'll be able to fill your team with players you target and want. Who cares where you draft them.

Your are right in saying I want him. I have did a few mocks and I think I could get him in the 5th rd. That pick for me would be #54 overall. I loved Spiller in college too but man that Bills offense scares even me a little. I think I will let someone have a headache over thier offense.

Your are right in saying I want him. I have did a few mocks and I think I could get him in the 5th rd. That pick for me would be #54 overall. I loved Spiller in college too but man that Bills offense scares even me a little. I think I will let someone have a headache over thier offense.

But how well do you expect him to perform?

Two things I dislike about Jahvid Best:

1) He's on the Detroit Lions. I don't care if they're rebuilding. Detroit is historically a bad team.

2) He relies on speed. Remember Reggie Bush? I know he doesn't have nearly the hype, but having another Chris Johnson is very unlikely.

Does Detroit have an improved offensive line?

Thoughts?

1) He's on the Detroit Lions. I don't care if they're rebuilding. Detroit is historically a bad team.

2) He relies on speed. Remember Reggie Bush? I know he doesn't have nearly the hype, but having another Chris Johnson is very unlikely.

Thoughts?

Rebuilding? I would say their offense is BUILT. And even better yet, their defense may not quite be there. Likely leading to high scoring games.

Very rarely do rookie RB's come in a make a huge splash, but this year is the exception to the rule. Everyone is all over Matthews and rightly so, but Best is the back to have at his ADP.

Stafford is good and will be really good. Calvin demands a double team 80% of the time. Burelson is a more then capable #2. Scheffler and Pettigrew will rule the middle. Trust me when I say that most "eyes" wont be on the speedster coming out of the backfield. All things are lining up perfectly for him. If K. Smith doesnt make it back fully, he will have a HUGE year for 5th round pick.

What we know for sure is this:

1. Best can absolutely FLY.

2. Give a back like that space and they will make the most of it.

Don't be surprised to see 1200+ yards and 8-10 TD's :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

I think the Lions are done rebuilding. Thier offense have the capability of putting up some big numbers. Yeah, they do play some tough defenses in thier own div (GB and Min) but look at the other teams they face: Rams, Bills, Bucs, Redskins and even thou I'm a Dolphin homer, sorry Phin fans I think there defense will be a work in progress. Throw those games in and the fact Calvin Johnson is on the team, Stafford will improve, Buerlson and Linehan reunited might make him a sleeper and if Pettigre is healthy enough, what you have hear is a top offense in the NFL. Don't compare him to Bush, he is so not like him. He will better then him. Just a gut feeling.

One thing I think that will help Best out a lot are receptions. Before Smith was knocked out for the remainder of the season, he had 41 catches in 13 games. He caught the ball 4 or more times in 6 games. That average comes out to 3 catches per game. Every point counts is the way I look at it. I expect Best to catch between 50 to 65 passes this season. Yes, that seems like a high total but you were right in saying the Lions are historically bad, and so they will be again...just on the defensive side of the ball, not the offensive side.

Thoughts?

Hell yeah i remember Reggie Bush's rookie year, which is why Best is a target of mine. Bush had 1300 total yards, 88 receptions and 8 TD's. :pointstosky:

They are similarly talented, Bush had more talent around him, however Best is going to be utilized to a greater degree. Best's fantasy value hinges solely on his health, in my opinion.

He's not a 1 cut an go runner. Typically RB's that aren't don't do well as rookies unless our Barry Sanders. Factor in a bad oline and Kevin Smith coming back -- right now Best is IMO a #3 I can see 230 - 800 yds 38 rec for 300 maybe 5 total scores.

you thus have him pegged between 25 and 35. In other words, at a bare minimum you have 24 rbs rated higher than him---and as many as 35.

i'd be interested in seeing the list of 30+ rbs you have ranked ahead of him. thanks in advance.

Thoughts?

historically (the last few years a glaring exception) the lions have a solid history of being a good rb team (and of having good rbs). don't confuse w-l with fantasy.

the guard positions are improved: peterman is back on the right side after missing much of last season; sims has been added on the left side. but you need to look beyond the 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust power running game. the lions will spread the field and force teams not to cheat in stacking the line. that alone will help.

He's a 5th round pick. And people please realize a 5th rounder is still a premium pick. He's a RB3/Flex with tremendous upside.

He's a 5th round pick. And people please realize a 5th rounder is still a premium pick. He's a RB3/Flex with tremendous upside.

Screw it, I'm taking him in the 5th rd if he is there. Thanks for all the hlp everyone, my mind is defintely made up.

wont last past 3rd. Don't let adps and mocks fool you. When a rb run is on, its on. He'll be late 3rd at worst, likely early 3rd...

Tiki Barber was also once compared to Barry Sanders. I think a lot of backs that have that elusive ability will continue to be compared to Barry Sanders.

But Barry Sanders MIGHT be the greatest ever. Nobody really compares to Barry Sanders. Prolly be a long, long time still before someone out Barry's, Barry Sanders.

best is no barry sanders. there was and will be only one barry.

best is closer to johnson in tenn in terms of comparison (not saying he is that good yet...don't know...but it's a better comparison to make than barry).

I just want to thank everyone for their contributions on this post. I found it extremely helpful in piecing together my draft stategy. Amazing what happens without all the useless nonsense of just ripping people back and forth. :doublethumbsup:

I'll be happy to take him in the fifth round. I wouldn't gamble picking him much higher than that.

Kevin Smith and his 3.4 YPC last year BEFORE his debilitating injury is not a factor in the Best discussion. He will only factor in at Detroit if Best completely flops or gets injured. Otherwise, expect solid relief duty from Kevin Smith. Think Ladell Betts. Nice for the team to have but fantasy unimportant barring injury.

The Lions featured Best in their first preseason game finding ways to get him the ball. This includes inside runs and of course passes. They also traded up for best giving up pretty good value. I believe they have visions of LaDanian Tomlinson dancing in their heads. The odds of that playing out are VERY low but he was crowned day 1 and they just love him. I also think the Lions have a dangerous offense. Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Best, Burleson, Scheffler, Pettigrew. That's crazy talent. The OL sucks but there are definitely weapons. And the defense sucks so they're going to see lots of prevent and passing situations. Great for PPR.

So to me it comes down to health. This is where I have my doubts. Not only does Best need to stay healthy, he needs Stafford and Calvin healthy too. History doesn't look to positively on that scenario, especially with the shakey to terrible OL. High risk, high reward IMO.

5 th round if he is there. Kevin Smith is still in the mix and will get carries. I read hes pretty much healed and will be ready to start the season. . I know he wasnt anything special last year ( I know , I had him) but he is still a decent RB and will split carries with Best even if its only 60-40 .Still a RBBC there also.

Smith is a decent receiver out of the backfield no? And the Leos will likely mix in Smith to help keep Jahvid from hitting the proverbial wall or being bitten by the injury bug, yeah? I like the kid's talent, but fock... its the Lions.

5 th round if he is there. Kevin Smith is still in the mix and will get carries. I read hes pretty much healed and will be ready to start the season. . I know he wasnt anything special last year ( I know , I had him) but he is still a decent RB and will split carries with Best even if its only 60-40 .Still a RBBC there also.

Where did you read that it is going to be a runningback by committee?

I have read that it is going to be the Jahvid best show, and unlike DamageInc i have a link to prove it.

While conceding that depth is nice, Lions OC Scott Linehan confirmed that he wants to feature one player in the running game this season.

"You like to have a guy that you're going to that you're giving a bulk of the carries to," said Linehan, who's used every-down backs in most of his NFL stops. "Certainly you want to have a go-to guy." Linehan does have depth with the speedy recovery of Kevin Smith (knee), Maurice Morris, and Aaron Brown. First-round pick Jahvid Best remains poised for a true feature back role.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5630

Best will get the majority of the carries sure but Snith will get a fair shair. lots of ariticles. just google kven smith.

heres the full quote about the go to guy , you need to read the whole quote.

http://www.detnews.c...at-running-back

It would appear the Lions are going to give Best every opportunity to be the No. 1 back. But Smith, coming back quickly and strongly from knee surgery, doesn't appear to be conceding anything.

"We'll see how it goes," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. "You'd like to have a go-to guy in the backfield. But you have to have more than one effective runner."

<br style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-right: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; margin-left: 0pt; padding-top: 0pt; padding-right: 0pt; padding-bottom: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; border-top-width: medium; border-right-width: medium; border-bottom-width: medium; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-color: initial; border-color: initial; "><br style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-right: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; margin-left: 0pt; padding-top: 0pt; padding-right: 0pt; padding-bottom: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; border-top-width: medium; border-right-width: medium; border-bottom-width: medium; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-color: initial; border-color: initial; ">From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.c...k#ixzz0x9Jf8hvK

http://apps.detnews....php?blogid=2200

Kevin Smith an inspiration to Lions offense

Watching running back Kevin Smith run, plant, cut and jump less than eight months after tearing the ACL in left knee is pretty amazing.

Smith doesn't look to be feeling any ill effects from January surgery to reconstruct his knee and has looked fluid and energetic during training camp.

"It's unbelievable where Kevin is right now based on when he got injured. So don't count Kevin out from being a heck of a force for us this season," said Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

"It's motivating for all of us to see that. It's inspirational. It hasn't been easy for him to be down in the dumps. He took it as a challenge to come back faster. He's been great with Jahvid (Best) and he's been an ultimate pro for the group. I've never seen a guy work as hard to get back on the field, and to see him out here taking reps with the team at Aug. 11, I can't believe it."

The Lions drafted Best in the first round in April to add some punch to their running game. Best has been taking most of the reps with the first team, but the NFL is becoming a two-back league and Smith is still being counted on to be an important part of the Lions' rushing attack this season.

The fact that he's on the field getting in his work this preseason is a plus for Smith, for Best, for all the other running backs, and especially for the Lions' offense.

<br style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-right: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; margin-left: 0pt; padding-top: 0pt; padding-right: 0pt; padding-bottom: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; border-top-width: medium; border-right-width: medium; border-bottom-width: medium; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-color: initial; border-color: initial; "><br style="margin-top: 0pt; margin-right: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; margin-left: 0pt; padding-top: 0pt; padding-right: 0pt; padding-bottom: 0pt; padding-left: 0pt; border-top-width: medium; border-right-width: medium; border-bottom-width: medium; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-color: initial; border-color: initial; ">From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews....0#ixzz0x9InqkSO

I have done dozens of 14-team mocks this summer & Best is ALWAYS off the board by the late 3rd/early 4th...He has never gotten back to me late in the 4th.

best is no barry sanders. there was and will be only one barry.

best is closer to johnson in tenn in terms of comparison (not saying he is that good yet...don't know...but it's a better comparison to make than barry).

The kid reminds me a lot of Tony Dorsett, only faster. It was interesting how he stayed in the game when the Lions were down on the goal line, though they tried to throw the ball in for the score (Stafford needs to learn how to put the ball up high for Calvin Johnson). Best made a pretty decent block on a blitz pickup. He's got moves, he ran tough between the tackles. If he gets any daylight he's gone. I'm sure he surprised a few Steelers on how quickly he got around the corner on one particular sweep play.

A team that has won 2 games over the past 2 seasons is not "done" rebuilding.

the offense is getting pretty darn close to having all the pieces in place...the defense is an entirely different story.

another 0-lineman and some (possibly signifcant--don't know) growing pains for the young guys on offense this year and it might just about be there on that side of the ball.

they'll be in some shootouts and make some teams sweat for the "w" this year.

Kevin Smith is a great runner and a baller and he can catch too. I don't see Best running away with this. I expect RBBC with a chance even that Kevin Smith gets more touches.

A team that has won 2 games over the past 2 seasons is not "done" rebuilding.

Exactly. ur not done rebuilding until youv started winning. the term as i accept it encompasses the enirety of the season, not just the physical building of the roster. The lions are always bad, but a bad team can still have a great offense! I took calvin early instead of romo and im hoping to not regret it. (got eli and favre later)

Absolutely love Best in a PPR redrafts this year. I would take him in the 5th if he was still on the boards regardless of how many RB's I had at that point in the draft. I'd very much consider him in the 4th if my first 3 picks were something like WR-WR-QB.

Obviously I'm talking PPR here....but this kid is a special talent. I've been on these boards a long time and don't stick my neck out on crazy predictions like this unless I feel really good about them....and this year I feel REALLY good about both Best and Spiller. IMO these 2 and Foster are the 3 backs to target in the middle rounds this year if you take receivers early.

And for those thinking Kevin Smith is a threat here.....child please.

If he's still there in the 7th round, I'd consider him a steal. ADP right now seems to be early-mid 6th, and I've regularly seen him in the 5th in mocks and real drafts. If he tears it up in preseason, I could see him creeping a little higher, but 5-6th round seems about right.

This is really focking funny. Only because every time I read it - I see "7th round" and laugh.

That could be considered alcohol abuse right?

the offense is getting pretty darn close to having all the pieces in place...the defense is an entirely different story.

another 0-lineman and some (possibly signifcant--don't know) growing pains for the young guys on offense this year and it might just about be there on that side of the ball.

they'll be in some shootouts and make some teams sweat for the "w" this year.

Oline for sure will need help and yes defense.

I do think they will be better this year and around a 5-6 win team.

But to call rebuilding done after 2 total wins in 2 years is hilarious.

No way, he gets out of the 4th round in my league. I see people saying he's a 7th round steal. In my league, he's a steal in the 5th or late 4th!

Tonights game will be big. Hes a 5 round guy ADP now . He has a great game. A move like spiller did and hes jumping to 3-4 round. I saw 3 drafts yesterday that Spiller was as early as 3 and no later then 5 based on that 31 yard TD run the other day. Best has a quiet night and he can still fall to the 5-6 round.

The offense is BUILT. Just because they dont win games, doesn't mean they dont have all the pieces in place to score points.

What exactly are they missing on offense?

QB - Check

RB - Check

#1WR - Check

#2WR - Check

TE - Check

We are playing FF here, not real football. So, the amount of games a team wins is irrelevant.