Sign in to follow this  
nos23

DeAngelo Williams Contract Situation

Where does he stand on his current contract? Do u think there is any chance that he gets traded to the packers? just wondering if this would be possible

Where does he stand on his current contract? Do u think there is any chance that he gets traded to the packers? just wondering if this would be possible

no way the Panthers trade him away.

He's a free agent at the end of this year. Word is that they will kiss him good bye and let him sign with another team.

He's a free agent at the end of this year. Word is that they will kiss him good bye and let him sign with another team.

No, that isn't the word.

Don't know if this guy is making stuff up, or just has some bad "information." There have been no reports that they will just "kiss him goodbye," and since an off-season report that they wanted to resign him, there haven't been any reports that say they will keep him, either.

No, that isn't the word.

Don't know if this guy is making stuff up, or just has some bad "information." There have been no reports that they will just "kiss him goodbye," and since an off-season report that they wanted to resign him, there haven't been any reports that say they will keep him, either.

Why WOULD they want to keep him?! Or why would DWill ever WANT to resign with that focking worthless team.

Fox is a TOOL, no progression towards winning, etc.

I hope he goes to a legit team. I can't take Fox's retarded management any longer of his RB's/QB's.

No, that isn't the word.

You're right there haven't been any reports. Nothing at all on this. Tell me, do you REALLY think Carolina will pay tier one bucks for him when they have Stewart ready to assume that #1 role. Exactly.

You're right there haven't been any reports. Nothing at all on this. Tell me, do you REALLY think Carolina will pay tier one bucks for him when they have Stewart ready to assume that #1 role. Exactly.

Okay.

First, I was responding to a post that said "the word is Carolina is going to let Williams go." There hasn't been any "word" of the sort.

Second, do I REALLY think Carolina will pay tier one bucks for him when they have Stewart reading to assume that #1 role? No.

Is Stewart ready to assume that #1 role? HELL NO!!!!

You're talking about a guy who has never been 100% healthy in the NFL. He has NEVER participated fully in off-season activities, he has been listed on the injury report over 70% of the weeks he has been in the NFL (despite rarely seeing a lot of game-time action), and he has NEVER carried the ball 20+ times in a game more than 2 consecutive games. The one opportunity he has had in the NFL to be THE MAIN RB for an extended period of time ended with an injury.

So, do you REALLY think Carolina (a team that is built on the run game) is going to let the only RB on their roster who has proven he can handle the full load at the NFL level go, in favor of a talented, but never healthy RB who can't seem to go more than a couple games without getting nicked up? Exactly.

Okay.

First, I was responding to a post that said "the word is Carolina is going to let Williams go." There hasn't been any "word" of the sort.

Second, do I REALLY think Carolina will pay tier one bucks for him when they have Stewart reading to assume that #1 role? No.

You're talking about a guy who has never been 100% healthy in the NFL. He has NEVER participated fully in off-season activities, he has been listed on the injury report over 70% of the weeks he has been in the NFL (despite rarely seeing a lot of game-time action), and he has NEVER carried the ball 20+ times in a game more than 2 consecutive games. The one opportunity he has had in the NFL to be THE MAIN RB for an extended period of time ended with an injury.

So, do you REALLY think Carolina (a team that is built on the run game) is going to let the only RB on their roster who has proven he can handle the full load at the NFL level go, in favor of a talented, but never healthy RB who can't seem to go more than a couple games without getting nicked up? Exactly.

Who cares if Stewart has been on the injury list a bunch of times? In 35 career games, Stewart has never missed a single one. If I am the GM of a team, that carries some weight with me. Over the same time span, DeAngelo Williams has missed 3 full games and parts of 2 others. In addition, Williams missed 3 more games in 06-07. I don't consider either back injury prone to be honest, but of the two, Stewart appears to be the more reliable option.

The workloads are comparable too. In 2 full seasons, Stewart has averaged approximately 200 carries per year. In 4 full seasons, Williams has averaged 190 carries per year.

Williams has averaged 5.1 yards per carry in his career, Stewart 4.8. These guys are so similar, it's not even funny. To say one is a bigger injury risk or the other is significantly more talented just isn't backed up by the numbers.

You do realize that in 4 full seasons, DeAngelo has carried the ball 20+ times in back to back games just twice, right? How is that all that different than Stewart's 1 (in half the number of total games I might add)?

Who cares if Stewart has been on the injury list a bunch of times? In 35 career games, Stewart has never missed a single one.

Stewart has never "missed" a game because he hasn't ever had to carry the full load (other than for 3 games in a row to end last season, which he couldn't finish the last game, because he got injured).

If I am the GM of a team, that carries some weight with me.

But you're not, and based on the simplistic way you look at this, I can see why. Stewart has never missed a game, but he has NEVER been healthy in the NFL. That's not a guy you rely on, especially when you have a Pro-Bowler ahead of him on the depth chart.

Over the same time span, DeAngelo Williams has missed 3 full games and parts of 2 others. In addition, Williams missed 3 more games in 06-07. I don't consider either back injury prone to be honest, but of the two, Stewart appears to be the more reliable option.

Okay, let's go there. In the last three years, Jonathan Stewart has missed all or part of EVERY Panther off-season. In the last three years, Stewart has been unable to finish NINE different games. In addition, in his last year at Oregon, Stewart dealt with injuries and missed time in several games. Furthermore, Stewart HAS NOT proven the ability to have sustained success at the NFL level, while Williams has.

Those are the facts, you can try to spin things Stewart's way all you want, but Williams is the more proven NFL back right now, and Stewart HAS NOT proven he can have sustained success in the NFL, at least not as a teams RB1. Carolina may let Williams go after the season, but it's not a done deal as the earlier poster suggested.

The workloads are comparable too. In 2 full seasons, Stewart has averaged approximately 200 carries per year. In 4 full seasons, Williams has averaged 190 carries per year.

Try looking at the carries in the games when Williams has played. Williams gets about 1/3 more carries (60% to 40%).

Williams has averaged 5.1 yards per carry in his career, Stewart 4.8. These guys are so similar, it's not even funny. To say one is a bigger injury risk or the other is significantly more talented just isn't backed up by the numbers.

If you say so, but if Stewart is so "close" to Williams in talent, than why has he received so many fewer carries when both backs are healthy? Look it up, If Williams is healthy, Stewart averages barely 40% of the carries.

You do realize that in 4 full seasons, DeAngelo has carried the ball 20+ times in back to back games just twice, right? How is that all that different than Stewart's 1 (in half the number of total games I might add)?

Yes, I do realize that. But look at the games where the two guys "just missed" 20 carries. Williams has far more games with "almost" 20 carries, than Stewart does, especially when both guys are healthy.

Stewart has talent, and Carolina might let Williams go after the season, but that decision hasn't been made, and it certainly hasn't been made already b/c they know Stewart can carry the load. In fact, the opposite is true, they haven't made the decision because they aren't sure Stewart can carry the load.

Why WOULD they want to keep him?! Or why would DWill ever WANT to resign with that focking worthless team.

Fox is a TOOL, no progression towards winning, etc.

I hope he goes to a legit team. I can't take Fox's retarded management any longer of his RB's/QB's.

Exactly. Fox suck coxs. If i crossed paths with that POS I would kick his nuts up his ass and out his mouth. Over rated POS loser can ###### die and I would laugh.

Here's the word douche bag.

The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt indicated on Twitter Friday that the Panthers may let DeAngelo Williams walk in 2011 free agency.

It's hard to fathom at first glance, but the Panthers are well stocked in the backfield (Jonathan Stewart, Tyrell Sutton, Mike Goodson) and have quite a few impending free agents whose extensions may take precedence. If D-Willy made it to free agency, he could theoretically become the highest paid running back in football. He's probably hoping for the opportunity.Source: Darin Gantt on Twitter

Score:

Tbone: 1

Douche bag named Houston Tsxans: 0

Boy do I sense alot of angry CAR RB owners here! FYI Dwill is history, Carolina is going to need a major overhaul and it will start with Williams. They will not pay the guy what he deserves since they need the loot for other pressing needs. Dwill owners be happy for this... Jstew owners like myself ( keeper league ) will be happy as well except for fact that his team needs to get it together! Bye Bye Fox, hello Bill Cowher!

Here's the word douche bag.

The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt indicated on Twitter Friday that the Panthers may let DeAngelo Williams walk in 2011 free agency.

It's hard to fathom at first glance, but the Panthers are well stocked in the backfield (Jonathan Stewart, Tyrell Sutton, Mike Goodson) and have quite a few impending free agents whose extensions may take precedence. If D-Willy made it to free agency, he could theoretically become the highest paid running back in football. He's probably hoping for the opportunity.Source: Darin Gantt on Twitter

Score:

Tbone: 1

Douche bag named Houston Tsxans: 0

Here's a tip, pole-smoker: That is a reporter's opinion from SEPTEMBER 10! No team source, no source at all. If you're getting your FF info from tweets like this, you're dumb as a box of rocks.

Score: Butt-pirate named Tbone: 0

Houston Texans: 1

Local beat writer w/ team connections, or homosexual moron troll... I think I'll go w/ the beat writer you hamster.

Sincerely,

Tbone

Carolina would be stupid not to resign DeAngelo. DeAngelo, J. Stewart, Steve Smith, and Jon Beason all should be locked up (if they aren't already) and build from there.

They did let Julius Peppers go in free agency so there is precedent in Carolina of letting a top star go.

So, :dunno:

Local beat writer w/ team connections, or homosexual moron troll... I think I'll go w/ the beat writer you hamster.

Sincerely,

Tbone

Game, set, and match. Every Wednesday for the last two years just about we've watched Stewart miss practice only to suit up and play. I'd hardly call the guy injury prone. Off seasons workouts? You're joking right?

Nobody's questioning the talent of Deangelo Williams, though I do remember him flubbing the #1 RB opportunity Carolina gave him the season before Stewart arrived. He's got some serious cheese coming his way in 2011, and there's no way in hell he re-signs in Carolina when they can plug in Stewart and go draft some young stud to back him up. Actually, if I'm a Williams owner in keeper leagues this would please me greatly as he can select the situation he wants to go to, ala the Burner and Atlanta. It's a win-win for both players.

Deangelo has always been a slow starter throughout his career...Depending on how he does today against NO, his start this season is very much in line with just about every year he has been in the NFL---he's never run for over 100 yards before week 5 and has scored a total of 5 Tds in weeks 1-4 in his four years prior to this one...his monster 2008 season saw him start the year off even worse (if that is possible) than he has so far this season...There is a whole lot of season left and, while the offensive struggles of Carolina look like they could linger all year, I imagine that Carolina will see how the season unfolds before deciding on whether or not to let Dwill walk next year...they have to consider that this is a guy who is currently 16 games removed from a 1500 yards rushing, 20 TD season...It may make sense for them financially to not re-up with him next season, but, it will be a much more difficult decision if he ends up putting up numbers in his next 13 games that rival his last two seasons...

Deangelo owner grasping at straws over here :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Tbone

So this is the same beat writer w/team connections who said that Moore would be the starter again if healthy?

Moore the starter if healthy

Or maybe it's the same beat writer w/team connections who said the Panthers O-line this year was "better than they've had in years?"

"Better than they've had in years."

Or perhaps it's the same "dialed-in" beat writer w/team connections that had no idea Williams had off-season surgery until Williams posted said info on his own website?

Uh, I didn't know!?

Yeah, this guy is the "go-to guy" for Panther's info, it seems.

Okay.

You're basing your whole argument on the ASSUMPTION that Stewart can't handle a full workload which sounds dumb to me. He misses practice he misses workouts but he shows up every game, and for the most part does very well. Yeah he was the #1 RB for the LAST 3 games of the season and got hurt in the FINAL game. Do you really think all NON-INJURY prone RBs make it through the entire year WITHOUT getting nicked up? He still rumbled for over 1100 yards before getting hurt. Thats a full-season's worth of production BEFORE getting hurt. Its not as though he's is going to see 30 carries per game as the starter. Carolina knows what they have better than YOU know what they have. Even as a starter, they'll limit JStews carries and keep him fresh and rested.

Screw DWill, screw JStew, screw that focktard Fox, and the hell with the Panthers and the states of North and South Carolina generally. :angry:

You're basing your whole argument on the ASSUMPTION that Stewart can't handle a full workload which sounds dumb to me. He misses practice he misses workouts but he shows up every game, and for the most part does very well. Yeah he was the #1 RB for the LAST 3 games of the season and got hurt in the FINAL game. Do you really think all NON-INJURY prone RBs make it through the entire year WITHOUT getting nicked up? He still rumbled for over 1100 yards before getting hurt. Thats a full-season's worth of production BEFORE getting hurt. Its not as though he's is going to see 30 carries per game as the starter. Carolina knows what they have better than YOU know what they have. Even as a starter, they'll limit JStews carries and keep him fresh and rested.

Anyone banking on Stewart being "THE MAN" in Carolin is basing that whole argument on the ASSUMPTION that he can handle a full workload which sounds dumb to me. He's had ONE CHANCE in the NFL to be "THE MAN" (end of last season), and he couldn't make it 3 full games without getting hurt and being unable to finish a game.

That's not an assumption, that's a fact. It is a limited sample size, I'll admit, but it's a larger sample size than the number of times Stewart has been able to be "THE MAN" for an extended period of time without an injury.

BTW-yes, Carolin knows what they have better than I do (and better than you do, I might add). So, answer me this: why do you think they limit his practice time, carries, reps, and touches? Is it because he is so great they don't want anyone else to find out? Or maybe it's because they know he has a tendency to get dinged up? Which one sounds more likely, huh?

Anyone banking on Stewart being "THE MAN" in Carolin is basing that whole argument on the ASSUMPTION that he can handle a full workload which sounds dumb to me. He's had ONE CHANCE in the NFL to be "THE MAN" (end of last season), and he couldn't make it 3 full games without getting hurt and being unable to finish a game.

That's not an assumption, that's a fact. It is a limited sample size, I'll admit, but it's a larger sample size than the number of times Stewart has been able to be "THE MAN" for an extended period of time without an injury.

BTW-yes, Carolin knows what they have better than I do (and better than you do, I might add). So, answer me this: why do you think they limit his practice time, carries, reps, and touches? Is it because he is so great they don't want anyone else to find out? Or maybe it's because they know he has a tendency to get dinged up? Which one sounds more likely, huh?

I read this post, shook my head in awe, then read it again. Respectfully, your takes on Jonathon Stewart pretty much suck. 'Tendency to get dinged up...?' Christ man the dude was fighting through a freaking ACHILLES injury all year. Of course they limited him. He didn't practice because he couldn't. Yet he still answered the bell. When WILLIAMS went down, and no disrespect there to DeAngelo, Stewart had himself a pretty damn good run for a 'limited sample size.' In fact, he tore Minnesota (25-109 1TD), the Giants (28-206 1TD), and the world champ Saints a freaking new one. I ASSUME.

And in the Week 17 game where he "left early" he was 16-125 and a score in a 23-10 win. Since it was Week 17 and a meaningless game I'm not too pissed that dude bailed early. And who's to say he couldn't have stayed in if the game meant something? I'm sure there are plenty of folks on this board who rode Stew to victory last season. Yeah, I'd say he handled the opportunity pretty well.

Again, I have no disrespect for Williams, as I had none for Thomas Jones last season. But this situation is driven by money, and I don't see the Panthers ponying the cheese needed to keep the guy.

I read this post, shook my head in awe, then read it again. Respectfully, your takes on Jonathon Stewart pretty much suck. 'Tendency to get dinged up...?' Christ man the dude was fighting through a freaking ACHILLES injury all year. Of course they limited him. He didn't practice because he couldn't. Yet he still answered the bell. When WILLIAMS went down, and no disrespect there to DeAngelo, Stewart had himself a pretty damn good run for a 'limited sample size.' In fact, he tore Minnesota (25-109 1TD), the Giants (28-206 1TD), and the world champ Saints a freaking new one. I ASSUME.

And in the Week 17 game where he "left early" he was 16-125 and a score in a 23-10 win. Since it was Week 17 and a meaningless game I'm not too pissed that dude bailed early. And who's to say he couldn't have stayed in if the game meant something? I'm sure there are plenty of folks on this board who rode Stew to victory last season. Yeah, I'd say he handled the opportunity pretty well.

Again, I have no disrespect for Williams, as I had none for Thomas Jones last season. But this situation is driven by money, and I don't see the Panthers ponying the cheese needed to keep the guy.

He was battling an achilles last year, (which he wan't "fully recovered" from until the middle of TC), he is still being limited as a result of that achilles and his recovery, he was battling a toe injury the year before. During college he had various issues his last 2 years. None of them were MAJOR injuries, yet he was constantly dealing with them. That is the epitome of "tendency to get dinged up." I didn't say he has a chronic injury; I didn't say he has a degenerative knee, etc; I said he has a tendency to get dinged up. That is based on, and backed up by, FACTS.

You yourself posted, "he didn't practice because he couldn't." Thank you for making my point. If Stewart can't practice on a regular basis, then there is NO LOGICAL REASON to assume he can handle 18-22 carries a week, on a regular basis.

Thanks for saying my argument sucks, and than helping make it for me.

Deangelo has always been a slow starter throughout his career...Depending on how he does today against NO, his start this season is very much in line with just about every year he has been in the NFL---he's never run for over 100 yards before week 5 and has scored a total of 5 Tds in weeks 1-4 in his four years prior to this one...his monster 2008 season saw him start the year off even worse (if that is possible) than he has so far this season...There is a whole lot of season left and, while the offensive struggles of Carolina look like they could linger all year, I imagine that Carolina will see how the season unfolds before deciding on whether or not to let Dwill walk next year...they have to consider that this is a guy who is currently 16 games removed from a 1500 yards rushing, 20 TD season...It may make sense for them financially to not re-up with him next season, but, it will be a much more difficult decision if he ends up putting up numbers in his next 13 games that rival his last two seasons...

Deangelo owner grasping at straws over here :thumbsup:

Looked good yesterday, hopefully a sign of him hitting his midseason stride. I snuck through the first 3 weeks 2-1 on the backs of Gates, Rodgers, J.Charles, and Welker. D.Will showed up just in time. :cheers:

He was battling an achilles last year, (which he wan't "fully recovered" from until the middle of TC), he is still being limited as a result of that achilles and his recovery, he was battling a toe injury the year before. During college he had various issues his last 2 years. None of them were MAJOR injuries, yet he was constantly dealing with them. That is the epitome of "tendency to get dinged up." I didn't say he has a chronic injury; I didn't say he has a degenerative knee, etc; I said he has a tendency to get dinged up. That is based on, and backed up by, FACTS.

You yourself posted, "he didn't practice because he couldn't." Thank you for making my point. If Stewart can't practice on a regular basis, then there is NO LOGICAL REASON to assume he can handle 18-22 carries a week, on a regular basis.

Assuming a player will get injured is always a no no :nono: especially when that player has yet to miss a game in his career. The dude is tough as nails. Forget about practice, He shows up on Sundays, runs hard, and knows his assignments. I can definitely see JStew step into the DeAngelo role next year where he is the #1 in a RBBC.

Carolina seems pretty deep at RB with those 2 and 3rd down back Goodsen.

They also seem quit content on keeping Tryell Sutton on the 53 man roster, as they fell they'll lose him if they try to sneak him on the practice squad.

Does anyone know much about this kid?

Can he be realivant?

Assuming a player will get injured is always a no no :nono: especially when that player has yet to miss a game in his career. The dude is tough as nails. Forget about practice, He shows up on Sundays, runs hard, and knows his assignments. I can definitely see JStew step into the DeAngelo role next year where he is the #1 in a RBBC.

I'm not sure if you actually read what I posted, because I never assumed an injury. I'm also not sure if you read the entire thread, because it is discussing Williams' contract situation, and the potential of Carolina "handing the job" to Stewart.

NFL teams "assume" players could get injured ALL THE TIME. It's part of the reason why guys get drafted/don't get drafted, signed as FA/not signed, cut/kept. If Carolina isn't comfortable with Stewart being durable enough, they will be less likely to let Williams go. That's just common sense.

Look, obviously you have a thing for arguing. I mean, a billion chinamen could give a damn really. I'm saying barring major injury problems this season to Stewart they won't re-sign Williams because the of the money. Period. Stewart was given the ball at the end of last year and he tore it up. The fact he left a game early in Week 17 means nothing, as Week 17 games usually mean exactly that. Nothing.

So what happened here? Why the vehemence? Did Stewart tear your ass a new one during the playoffs or something? Most people I've heard seem to think he'll handle 18-22 carries a week just fine. C'mon man, look at the backs that are breaking down this year. It happens. He's no different, but that doesn't mean he can't be a fultime back. The truth is, and please go argue with your keyboard after I say this, no one will ever know (outside of those three games last season) if Stewart can tote the rock fulltime until they give him the job. It's all academic anyhow, because their offense is pathetic. So I guess we won't know until next year.

Look, obviously you have a thing for arguing. I mean, a billion chinamen could give a damn really. I'm saying barring major injury problems this season to Stewart they won't re-sign Williams because the of the money. Period. Stewart was given the ball at the end of last year and he tore it up. The fact he left a game early in Week 17 means nothing, as Week 17 games usually mean exactly that. Nothing.

So what happened here? Why the vehemence? Did Stewart tear your ass a new one during the playoffs or something? Most people I've heard seem to think he'll handle 18-22 carries a week just fine. C'mon man, look at the backs that are breaking down this year. It happens. He's no different, but that doesn't mean he can't be a fultime back. The truth is, and please go argue with your keyboard after I say this, no one will ever know (outside of those three games last season) if Stewart can tote the rock fulltime until they give him the job. It's all academic anyhow, because their offense is pathetic. So I guess we won't know until next year.

Maybe you should actually read the entire thread? I've said several times that Carolina might let Williams go and Stewart might get the job. I've never said that won't happen.

My first post in this thread was in response to someone else saying that "Word is that they will kiss him (Williams) good bye and let him sign with another team." That isn't true, and that's all I said. When he responded with a writer's tweet that had no source, just his gut feeling, I pointed out that that was an opinion.

As for whether Stewart "tore my ass a new one?" The answer's no, in fact, quite the opposite. I had Williams and Stewart last year, and when Williams went out, it was the best thing, because that meant 1 RB got virtually all the carries in Carolina. However, since I owned him each of the last 2 years, I have paid A LOT of attention to him (and to Williams). Stewart has never gotten a lot of carries until those last 3 games, and he didn't hold up. You can think it doesn't matter, good for you. But the fact is that Stewart isn't guaranteed the job next year, and a part of the reason for that is because Carolina isn't 100% sure he can handle the job. If Carolina continues to falter, I would suspect that we will see Stewart getting more carries, so they can try to determine if he can handle a larger workload for an extended period, in order to help them make that decision.