Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Vikings "very close" to acquiring Randy Moss?

(assuming there is football) I'm quite sure Brady will be playing in 2011

The Patriots will be a better team the second Randy Moss is gone.

Since when was cancer good for anyone?

The team will be better the second Moss is gone? Not a chance. My guess is Welker is a little lost without Moss there. This was a grind it out possession offense when Moss wasn't there. Efficient but not electric. Those teams won Super Bowls because of a defense far superior to the one they have now. The defense they have now will get torched against the good offenses. Without Moss does this team have the firepower to keep up with those teams? I say no, but maybe. I don't see how one draft is going to make them an elite team again next year without Moss. Say the rebuilding happens quick and in two years they have all the pieces they need. Brady will be 35, reaching the end of his career. Who knows how good he will be or how much longer he will play. Rebuilding pieces around a team is risky when the face of the franchise is reaching the last years of his career.

The stars are beginning to align for me here. The Pats fleece Minnesota in a Moss trade, and then they go and get Vincent Jackson from the Chargers with their 5 million picks they've acquired for next year.

The stars are beginning to align for me here. The Pats fleece Minnesota in a Moss trade, and then they go and get Vincent Jackson from the Chargers with their 5 million picks they've acquired for next year.

I have the feeling there's no way AJ Smith would let Jackson go to a contender like the Pats, but as soon as the Moss trade rumors came up my first though was Vincent Jackson. He's eligible to come back in a mere two weeks and could be a big time addition to a contending franchise. If this Moss deal falls through, I still see the Vikes re-entering the Jackson discussions. The trade today probably puts Seattle out of the running, since they pretty much have no draft picks left. I could see a team like the Bears making a move, but they also don't have picks. The Vikings pursuit of Jackson and Moss however tells me that Sidney Rice is a long way from returning.

Percy Harvin's value goes through the roof. He is now in the same position as Wes Welker was in NE as far as defenses allowing him to excel over the middle of the field. Only Percy is 10x as athletic and dangerous as Welker. Percy Harvin is going to put up some great numbers.

Percy Harvin's value goes through the roof. He is now in the same position as Wes Welker was in NE as far as defenses allowing him to excel over the middle of the field. Only Percy is 10x as athletic and dangerous as Welker. Percy Harvin is going to put up some great numbers.

This is true. If Farve gets his act together, Harvin and Moss are going to be like Welker and Moss, but maybe better with that O-line and running game. Welker will still get a ton of those little dink routs, but he won't be breaking deep behind the zones because Moss won't be clearing out two DBs anymore.

Now, he would have the most talented WR of all time to get open, or just throw it up for if he can't.

Jerry Rice? :dunno:

Jerry Rice was the greatest WR of all time, but Moss on his best day is the most talented WR or all time. I'm not a Vikings fan for what it's worth, but this Vikings team is getting older quick. If they stay healthy though and Farve plays like last year, they will be one of the best teams in the league.

If he stays healthy, his numbers will go up but if Favre doesn't have a rapport now, what makes you think he will develop one overnight? I think it's possible Harvin averages 6 catches for 70 yards and 1/2 TD a game the rest of the way but that's about where he peaks. And those are WR2 numbers. I wouldn't call them great numbers.

Here's my take...

1. Moss' value takes a slight hit. As good as Favre is, he's not Tom Brady. And he's having a terrible year. Granted, most of that is due to his lack of a deep threat, but the Vikings still have to figure out how to protect Favre before he can even think about going deep. Further, it'll take Moss a few games to learn the routes, cues from Favre, etc.

2. Favre's value skyrockets. He was nearly waiver bait before this. Now, a good solid QB2.

3. Harvin's value goes up, goes back to where it was when Rice was healthy. He's much more effective when he's not asked to play wide.

4. Rice's value goes down. He's no longer worth holding on to. He never was IMO, but either this means the Vikings don't expect him back this year, or he'll be back at less than 100%. At best, he'll be back at 100%....but as the Vikings 2nd receiver. Worth a roster spot? Maybe in deeper leagues.

5. Peterson's value goes up. As If it could go any higher.

6. Shanko's value goes down a bit.

The biggest beneficiary is the Vikings. Getting Moss back is huge....for the stadium efforts, for the mood of the team, for Favre. Even if he has to play decoy for a few weeks, just putting Moss on the field changes EVERYTHING about how you have to prepare for and defend the Vikings. It should open up that offense quite a bit.

If he stays healthy, his numbers will go up but if Favre doesn't have a rapport now, what makes you think he will develop one overnight? I think it's possible Harvin averages 6 catches for 70 yards and 1/2 TD a game the rest of the way but that's about where he peaks. And those are WR2 numbers. I wouldn't call them great numbers.

With all due respect, were you watching the team last year? Favre and Harvin's rapport was just fine. The issue this year is that he has been playing out wide instead of in the slot. Berrian and Moss, and eventually Rice and Moss will move Percy to his slot position, where he is much more dangerous.

Wes Welker-type role.

He said the most talented. Now maybe that's nitpicky semantics, but that's how I'd say it too. Rice was the best receiver of all time. The most talented receiver of all time is Randy Moss.

I don't like this (as a Patriots fan). Randy Moss stretches the field quite a bit for that team. Every defense they play has to keep at least one safety deep on every passing play because they don't want Moss to get behind the defense. If you get rid of Moss, suddenly that one safety can come up a bit and then the underneath stuff can be a LOT harder to come by. Moss isn't the player he was in '07 and he might not even be the player he was in '09, but he still brings a lot to that offense just by being on the field.

Why does Belichick feel the need to sabotage his team every year to keep building for "the future"? Branch, Samuel, Vrabel, Seymour, and now Moss. Is the quasi-rebuilding mode ever going to end??! :thumbsdown:

He said the most talented. Now maybe that's nitpicky semantics, but that's how I'd say it too. Rice was the best receiver of all time. The most talented receiver of all time is Randy Moss.

When it is all said and done Randy could be both.

This really comes down to the Pats unwillingness to pay their players from Randy's perspective.

2-3 more seasons of a top level legit #1 WR seems like a guy you'd want to keep on your team. A 2-3 year contract would of made Randy happy and he wouldn't care if he ever got a ball thrown his way. He is a team player but he no longer feels like he is wanted as a Patriot beyond this season. Pay him and that goes away.

Patriotightwads.

Eight in the box to stop AP and double coverage on Moss isn't going to work unless you sneak 14 guys onto the field. Moss in Minny changes everything for the Vikes, and creates a nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators. The guy who decides to go with single coverage and "make them throw the ball to Moss" isn't going to have much of a life expectancy in a league with an acronym that often means Not For Long. And can anyone imagine a defensive coordinator boasting "we're gonna make em run the ball?"

The Vikes are going to make this deal happen. It will have a FF impact. Impossible to say what, exactly, it will be. And it will likely change from week to week. I would love to own AP right now.

What's the chance that Stallworth could wind up a Pat again with Housh having joined the Ravens? He should be coming off PUP about week 6 so...

Zero chance. The Ravens are still in dire need of a WR that can stretch a defense with his speed. It's the reason they signed Stallworth. Housh certainly hasn't solved that problem.

Favre to Moss in Lambeau in Purple, pants on the ground!

:D

I still hate Favre, but this would burn the asses of every focking buttpacker fan the world over. :pointstosky:

According to Adam Schefter this morning, when the Randy Moss-to-Minnesota trade is completed (most likely today), Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return from Vikings.

MY take: I strongly recommend that the player to make a trade for here is Aaron Hernandez, especially in deep keeper and dynasty leagues. He should have already been rostered in leagues of 10 or more teams. Brandon Tate was rostered in 4 of my six leagues. If he's available on waivers in your league, grab him.

This is true. If Farve gets his act together, Harvin and Moss are going to be like Welker and Moss, but maybe better with that O-line and running game. Welker will still get a ton of those little dink routs, but he won't be breaking deep behind the zones because Moss won't be clearing out two DBs anymore.

That oline?

Have you watched Minnesota football?

I agree, this could be very solid for them...but their Oline stinks.

Here's my take...

The biggest beneficiary is the Vikings. Getting Moss back is huge....for the stadium efforts, for the mood of the team, for Favre. Even if he has to play decoy for a few weeks, just putting Moss on the field changes EVERYTHING about how you have to prepare for and defend the Vikings. It should open up that offense quite a bit.

As I said last year and this with Favre...how is a guy who is not going to be around all that long going to help with a long term stadium solution?

Its moreso with Favre who is done after this year...but how many years do you think Randy is staying?

One positive for Moss owners is that he skips his BYE week for the year since the Vikings just had their BYE and Pats are on their BYE this week. Another positive for me is that I own both Moss and Welker and I like the diversity of these WR’s being on two teams.

This BLOWS

3rd Rd. pick for Moss is just disgusting

They would of received nothing at the end of the year, as they werent planning on resigning him

They would of received nothing at the end of the year, as they werent planning on resigning him

Wrong

They would have tendered him and gotten SOMETHING(depending on the level tendered), meanwhile they would have had him all year.

One thing is for sure after this trade.

The Pats have absolutely NO chance of winning the Superbowl without him.

How are they going to beat the Jets now?

Wrong

They would have tendered him and gotten SOMETHING(depending on the level tendered), meanwhile they would have had him all year.

Yeah and his 36 receptions (9 thru 4 weeks x 4), missed blocks, bad attitude would contribute greatly to their quest for another trophy. :rolleyes:

Minnesotta AT New England on Halloween :ninja:

This BLOWS

3rd Rd. pick for Moss is just disgusting

The season is a 1/4 in already. And maybe Moss isn't all that anymore.

One thing is for sure after this trade.

The Pats have absolutely NO chance of winning the Superbowl without him.

How are they going to beat the Jets now?

Do what :pointstosky: :nono: Moss wouldnt beat the JETS the defense would

If you play defense you can beat the JETS. Sure i loved Brady to Moss but he hasnt done crap this year and he was obviously pouting about his contract situation and instead of waiting till he tried to bring down rest of team they shipped his arse out.

Did the Patriots win a Super Bowl with him?? NO Did the Patriots have a big name WR when they were winning all the Super Bowls? NO This actually may be a good thing for the offense as now the ball will be spread around and we saw it during Monday nights game.

anyone bashing moss on his 1 month 2010 stats is just plain shortsighted and lashing out.

[tom brady] "dudes, why couldn't you reach those passes?"

[pats schmoe receivers] "uhhh, tom, there are defenders everywhere."

[tom brady] "yeah, i know....where the fock did those safeties come from?? normally they are 25 yards deep....." :rolleyes:

:bandana: