Sign in to follow this  
mgs316

Antonio Gates

I thought J. Finley would surpass him as the #1 TE in football this year. Even without the injury, he wouldn't come close. :doh:

Closest thing to fantasy gold. Every year I take the top rated TE in the 3rd round of my PPR league. Every year, the other owners ridicule my pick, but every year I make the playoffs. This year, 4-1 and highest scoring team. The way Gates is playing right now I may have to take him in round 2.

Just speculating here, but ... what is Gates trade value right now?

I have him and he's been absolutely MONEY, 4-1 so far in large part because of him. However, I think at some point these stats will have to trail off so if there's ever a time when Gates' stock is high it's right now. I only ask because I've also got Tony Gonzo sitting on my bench and a big hole at wide receiver, albeit my #2 wideout. I also busted hard in rounds 1-2 and have MJD and DWill putting up some mediocre numbers.

I'm just wondering what someone could reasonable expect to get in a trade for Gates? Is he now worth a #1 wideout?

I have him and he's been absolutely MONEY, 4-1 so far in large part because of him. However, I think at some point these stats will have to trail off so if there's ever a time when Gates' stock is high it's right now. I only ask because I've also got Tony Gonzo sitting on my bench and a big hole at wide receiver, albeit my #2 wideout. I also busted hard in rounds 1-2 and have MJD and DWill putting up some mediocre numbers.

I'm just wondering what someone could reasonable expect to get in a trade for Gates? Is he now worth a #1 wideout?

Easily worth a #1 WR. He's out played all WR's so far this year by a lot.

Easily worth a #1 WR. He's out played all WR's so far this year by a lot.

Now I wonder if it would be worth dealing him for a stud wideout or packaging him with say DWill for a better RB? My 14-team standard scoring roster looks like this:

QB: Roethlisberger

RB: MJD

RB: DWill

WR: Roddy White

WR: Wallace / Jacoby Jones / Houshmandzadeh

Flex: McCoy

Flex: Bradshaw

TE: Gates

K: Rackers

D: Giants / Pats

I'm mostly loaded here and in the driver's seat so I should probably stay put, but like I said - having real trouble dealing Gonzo and I figure Gates stock won't ever be higher.

Now I wonder if it would be worth dealing him for a stud wideout or packaging him with say DWill for a better RB? My 14-team standard scoring roster looks like this:

I'm mostly loaded here and in the driver's seat so I should probably stay put, but like I said - having real trouble dealing Gonzo and I figure Gates stock won't ever be higher.

You could trade Gates straight up for a #1 WR, or package him and Bradshaw/Dwill for another top RB. But I would stay put to be honest. Your team is monster for a 14 team league. I think Gates will continue to be great from here on out.

Boy MDC i have thought the same thing.....I am in a ppr and took agates at late 3rd and mid 4th in my two leagues which start three wr/te and i got some looks. He has been so freakn awesome so far and in 15yrs of ffootball it is hard to remember such a stretch of production and as a fan i know it has to cease. But dang....i am in a ppr and even if he goes 6-87 and a td one wk and no td the next he is the model of consistency.

hate to trade him and phillip rivers loves him. ride it to the bank is what i will most likely do.

You could trade Gates straight up for a #1 WR, or package him and Bradshaw/Dwill for another top RB. But I would stay put to be honest. Your team is monster for a 14 team league. I think Gates will continue to be great from here on out.

That's probably what I'll do. My league is so risk-averse that all the trade offers are terrible anyway. And my team is so far doing pretty well. If MJD ever gets it going I should be in pretty good shape barring injury. I absolutely hate being the first owner in a league to take a TE but I am so glad I drafted Gates in mid/late Round 4 after Foster was off the board (targeting him) and the other options were all mediocre wideouts. I also really lucked out with McCoy and Bradshaw in Rounds 5-6.

Good luck to you guys, we've all been very lucky. :cheers:

I dont own him, but I wouldnt trade him for anyone below CJ and Peterson straight up. His production mixed with any 10-20 type RB is better then any RB 3-10 with a crappy TE.

Gates owners just enjoy the fact that you have hands down the most dominant player in Fantasy football at his position.

also Im taking him in the 2nd round next year!

That's probably what I'll do. My league is so risk-averse that all the trade offers are terrible anyway. And my team is so far doing pretty well. If MJD ever gets it going I should be in pretty good shape barring injury. I absolutely hate being the first owner in a league to take a TE but I am so glad I drafted Gates in mid/late Round 4 after Foster was off the board (targeting him) and the other options were all mediocre wideouts. I also really lucked out with McCoy and Bradshaw in Rounds 5-6.

Good luck to you guys, we've all been very lucky. :cheers:

MDC ....I am sick of the terrible trade offers too. hang in there with mjd. I do not own him but reaped the awards of not trading rrice who i own in ppr 2 leagues for a #3 macdonalds value meal. I dont know you but bet you have been playn ffootball and have patience......that is the key my friend. :cheers:

Would an offer of Nicks and Mathews draw any interest you think? I own Finley and I could throw him in, so maybe Nicks and Finley. I honestly have no idea what to offer, start throwing out some guys you would take for him. I really want to land this guy.

You want to trade the best ff player to date? He's been better than any WR/TE/RB so far and has outperformed perhaps all QBs so far where only 10 qbs have more td passes than he has receiving.... And you want to give him away to upgrade another position? Without vjax.... Rivers is locked in to him especially in the red zone... It's a hole you'll never be able to fill... ( insert Brett Favre joke here)..... Don't be stupid!

Would an offer of Nicks and Mathews draw any interest you think? I own Finley and I could throw him in, so maybe Nicks and Finley. I honestly have no idea what to offer, start throwing out some guys you would take for him. I really want to land this guy.

I wouldn't give up a top5 WR and a top15 WR for the #1 TE.

I dont own him, but I wouldnt trade him for anyone below CJ and Peterson straight up. His production mixed with any 10-20 type RB is better then any RB 3-10 with a crappy TE.

Gates owners just enjoy the fact that you have hands down the most dominant player in Fantasy football at his position.

also Im taking him in the 2nd round next year!

Yep. If you look at it from a VBD perspective, there is nobody close. In my Yahoo PPR league for instance:

TE:

Gates 118

Z Miller 78

Clark 77

Keller* 72 (4 games)

Davis 67

WR:

Nicks 108

Collie 107

Lloyd 104

White 99

Wayne 99

RB:

McCoy 110

Foster 108

Gore 104

Best 98

CJ 94

Gates is a 34% improvement over #2 (pending Keller) and 43% over #5. WR and RB are much closer. Plus he is so darn consistent.

Yep. If you look at it from a VBD perspective, there is nobody close. In my Yahoo PPR league for instance:

TE:

Gates 118

Z Miller 78

Clark 77

Keller* 72 (4 games)

Davis 67

WR:

Nicks 108

Collie 107

Lloyd 104

White 99

Wayne 99

RB:

McCoy 110

Foster 108

Gore 104

Best 98

CJ 94

Gates is a 34% improvement over #2 (pending Keller) and 43% over #5. WR and RB are much closer. Plus he is so darn consistent.

I love it when i get straight up FACTS. Awesome job.......and the consistency is so valuable too imo. ride him till he falls apart is what i will probably do. :dunno:

I wouldn't give up a top5 WR and a top15 WR for the #1 TE.

So what would you give up? Like I said I am not sure what his value is like right now. I am thinking about offering up one of either Vick or Orton and maybe another throw in guy that would add some depth at the owners RB position, like a lynch.

As a Gates' owner, I can't even comprehend the thought of trading him, especially in a TE required league. It's a huge advantage over every other team. Will he stay on pace for his current #s, I doubt it, but I honestly think 18-20 TDs (I know it's high, but Rivers loves him in the red zone, and this is a pass first team) and 1200-1300 yards. If I were to trade him, I would need 1 of maybe 5 players, and that's it. Because of the dominance at his position, I really think I would turn down an offer of any receiver.

I can't imagine an offer that would tempt me to trade Gates. An owner who has the roster talent it would take to lure him away simply doesn't exist. And I don't know what that talent would be.

In Week 4 the ball was on the one-yard-line. QB sneak? FB dive? Nope, TD pass to Gates. With Gates on the field, owners know that every red zone possession will likely involve Gates. In this era of RBBC and WRs who tend to be the flavor of the week, there aren't that many players (if any) with his kind of potential for putting up a quick six.

They laughed when I took him in the third round. Nobody is laughing now. Except me.

Fell to me in round 5 and had the satisfaction of hearing the guy picking after me get pissed when I took him. Gates is a WR #1 in a TE body. And Floyd blowing up will only stretch the field more for him!

I can't imagine an offer that would tempt me to trade Gates. An owner who has the roster talent it would take to lure him away simply doesn't exist. And I don't know what that talent would be.

In Week 4 the ball was on the one-yard-line. QB sneak? FB dive? Nope, TD pass to Gates. With Gates on the field, owners know that every red zone possession will likely involve Gates. In this era of RBBC and WRs who tend to be the flavor of the week, there aren't that many players (if any) with his kind of potential for putting up a quick six.

They laughed when I took him in the third round. Nobody is laughing now. Except me.

Same as me. Moss,Brady,Gates,Best,Foster,Nicks. I would not trade him for anyone!

My draft plan this year in both of money leagues to either:

A) get a Top 4 QB (Brees, Rodgers, Manning or Brady) and be the last to grab a starting TE

B) get Gates and be the last to grab a starting QB

Thank Jeebus that both leagues are extremely QB happy (one is 6pts all TD's) and my Top 4 QB's were gone after 2 rounds. In my 12 Teamer, I took Gates in the late 3rd and ended up with Cutler & Kolb, plus Vick on waivers. In my 10 Teamer, I got him in the middle of the 4th and ended up with Cutler & Ben, plus Hill for week 5. Currently 4-1 and 3-2 but by far the highest scoring team. :thumbsup:

I dont own him, but I wouldnt trade him for anyone below CJ and Peterson straight up.

I do own Gates, and those two are the only players I'd consider packaging Gates for in a trade.

Gates is on a historic pace for a TE.

GRRRR!!! there are usually 3 guarantees in life. death, taxes, and me drafting gates when my 4th round pick comes along. this year i had the 2nd pick and the owners ahead of me take clark, finley and gates. So upset, not even CJ can make me happy about it.

Awesome, I just got offered Celek and Jennings for Gates and S. Smith!!!! Lets see, Celek doesn't see the ball when Vick plays and Jennings has a concussed QB who likes to spread it around.

Where do I sign?!

If you were in my league, here's where we would be. Nicks is averaging 10.6 points per game. Gates is averaging 13.6 per game. That puts you three points in the mathematical hole. Mathews, coincidentally, is averaging 3.0 ppg. Going only on the current numbers, we're even. This assumes I throw a guy into the trade who is averaging 0.0 ppg. Fortunately, I don't have this guy.

Problem. I now need a TE. Finley, who is expected to be out for the next three to six weeks, is averaging 3.8. I can grab a TE off the WW who is doing 3.75 and has two knees that actually work. Either way, I take a 10-point hit at TE.

Again, by the numbers, my top WRs are averaging 10.0 and 6.8 respectively. Nicks would be a 4 ppg upgrade over my current WR2. This leaves me six points in the hole. Which means Mathews would need to become a six point upgrade over RB2s MJD or, ironically, Tolbert for me to break even. Again, by the numbers.

Mathews is going up, Tolbert is probably on life support. The offer would partially hinge on whether Mathews has more potential than MJD. (Mendy is my RB1). It's this potential that could lure me into a deal. If Mathews catches fire and MJD's performance steadily improves, I not only make up the six points, I can likely come out on top by peddling a "surplus" RB. Or by keeping all three.

When you are 5-0, it's tempting not to mess with what's working. But I think Mathews has a huge upside. So, yep, we have a deal. All you need to do is figure out a way to transfer your team to my league in the next few days.

(If you are having a WTF moment, just remember the words of Mark Twain: "Lies, damn lies and statistics.")

If you were in my league, here's where we would be. Nicks is averaging 10.6 points per game. Gates is averaging 13.6 per game. That puts you three points in the mathematical hole. Mathews, coincidentally, is averaging 3.0 ppg. Going only on the current numbers, we're even. This assumes I throw a guy into the trade who is averaging 0.0 ppg. Fortunately, I don't have this guy.

Problem. I now need a TE. Finley, who is expected to be out for the next three to six weeks, is averaging 3.8.

Your league has some wierd scoring.