Sign in to follow this  
BoxFullofJoel

Philip Rivers best QB in the league

Not enough Rivers talk on this forum. He has me at 10/1 produces on record pace this year and no signs of slowing down.

NO Jackson no problem

NO Gates no problem

NO LT no problem

No Matthews no problem

No Floyd no problem

No Nanee no problem

Has Crayton and Jirotutu ballin.

:headbanger:

Best fantasy QB this year - easily. If you look at his numbers, he's been one of the most consistent over the past 3-4 years.

And p.s. = Rivers owner who's 10-1 (in a 12 team league)too...

:cheers:

You're crazy. He's can't hold a candle to Brady and Manning. Rivers can't win a playoff game and just because he's having his best season doesn't catapult him to the best QB in the league. Last week it was Vick now it's Rivers, all these over reactions!!!!

You're crazy. He's can't hold a candle to Brady and Manning. Rivers can't win a playoff game and just because he's having his best season doesn't catapult him to the best QB in the league. Last week it was Vick now it's Rivers, all these over reactions!!!!

Who cares about playoff games? Fantasy football takes place during the regular season. As Rivers is likely the top QB in most if not all leagues, I would hardley call it an over-reaction.

Not only is Rivers the #1 QB in FF, but think about where he was drafted (behind the likes of Brees, Manning, Rodgers, etc). What a steal!

There's a HUGE difference between best QB in the league and best FF QB. HTH

This.

I came in here to post a stat last night that Rivers was like 10/17 for 170 yards at one point...with 156 yards after the catch (about 100 of those directly attributed to Brian Dawkins).

Best fantasy QB is another story...Might want to include that in the title.

Not enough Rivers talk on this forum. He has me at 10/1 produces on record pace this year and no signs of slowing down.

NO Jackson no problem

NO Gates no problem

NO LT no problem

No Matthews no problem

No Floyd no problem

No Nanee no problem

Has Crayton and Jirotutu ballin.

:headbanger:

If there is no problem, why is his team 5-5? I mean, if there wasn't a problem, he should be 8-2? or even better.

I won't lie, I hate Rivers, more than I hate Brady. He is a good QB, but not best in the league. I would actually give that honor to Vick.

If there is no problem, why is his team 5-5? I mean, if there wasn't a problem, he should be 8-2? or even better.

I won't lie, I hate Rivers, more than I hate Brady. He is a good QB, but not best in the league. I would actually give that honor to Vick.

The problem certainly isnt on offense, as they are the #1 offense in the league and he is lighting it up.

However, seeing how you claim Vick is the best in the league, you obviously have no clue about football in general so this post doesn't surprise me.

The problem certainly isnt on offense, as they are the #1 offense in the league and he is lighting it up.

However, seeing how you claim Vick is the best in the league, you obviously have no clue about football in general so this post doesn't surprise me.

Are you serious? Saying Vick is the best in the league says I have no clue about football? Well, considering your comment, I can see, you have no clue about life in general. :overhead:

OH nonsense. The guy is a top-level performer. Where the hell have you been? Manning is struggling a bit this year despite the numbers and Brady hasnt thrown a pass longer than 4 yards this year... the King of dink and dunk. Rivers is doing it with the same depleted WR corps than Manning and Brady are doing with too. Fock playoff games. Thats a team thing 100%. No QB wins by themselves. We are judging QB play here and Rivers has been fantastic - EVERY bit as good as Brady and Mannning, maybe better.

Are you serious? Saying Vick is the best in the league says I have no clue about football? Well, considering your comment, I can see, you have no clue about life in general. :overhead:

If you think Vick is a better QB then Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Rivers, you're higher then 100 hippies!

OH nonsense. The guy is a top-level performer. Where the hell have you been? Manning is struggling a bit this year despite the numbers and Brady hasnt thrown a pass longer than 4 yards this year... the King of dink and dunk. Rivers is doing it with the same depleted WR corps than Manning and Brady are doing with too. Fock playoff games. Thats a team thing 100%. No QB wins by themselves. We are judging QB play here and Rivers has been fantastic - EVERY bit as good as Brady and Mannning, maybe better.

I just think it's funny how people say Manning is struggling...on pace for 4,900 yards 32 TD's/12 INTs and a 95 QB rating...with Clark out for the season, Gonzo out for the season, Addai, Brown, and Hart all miss a month, a makeshift Oline, no running game, Collie misses a month, Garcon misses a month (and leads the NFL in drops), Blair White misses time.

I do understand your point, but it's unbelievable what he's been able to do this season with 3rd/4th stringers, practice squad players, and undrafted rookies.

:lol: :clap: :doh:

Vick? i hope to god you're only talking fantasy. if not... wow.

I just think it's funny how people say Manning is struggling...on pace for 4,900 yards 32 TD's/12 INTs and a 95 QB rating...with Clark out for the season, Gonzo out for the season, Addai, Brown, and Hart all miss a month, a makeshift Oline, no running game, Collie misses a month, Garcon misses a month (and leads the NFL in drops), Blair White misses time.

I do understand your point, but it's unbelievable what he's been able to do this season with 3rd/4th stringers, practice squad players, and undrafted rookies.

I agree with you regarding Manning, but the same people will fail to mention what Rivers has done with a worse o-line than Indy, an injured Gates, no V-Jax, injured Floyd, injured Mathews, no more LT......

But they will say Rivers can't holf Mannings jock because the Chargers are 5-5. Whats the Colts record?

Rivers is 2-0 against Manning and the Colts in the playoffs. Not the best argument. :dunno:

If you think Vick is a better QB then Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Rivers, you're higher then 100 hippies!

He is playing better than all those QB's in my opinion right now. Is he better overall? NO....But currently he is playing better.

Rivers is 2-0 against Manning and the Colts in the playoffs. Not the best argument. :dunno:

Manning is 1-2 for Superbowls....Rivers is 0-0.

Talent wise it's not a crazy statement. Production wise this season it's not a crazy statement. Obviously Vick has only done it for less than 5 games this season. So the statement is crazy in that Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Rivers all have a tremendous track record and several years of very high level production recently. So I wouldn't claim Vick is a top 5 QB in the NFL already. But if someone told me in 2-3 years Michael Vick will be considered the best QB in football, I couldn't call them completely crazy. He's one of the top candidates for league MVP right now. The talent has always been there, it was the work ethic that wasn't. The work ethic is now there...

As for Rivers, he finished with a better QB rating than Brady and Manning each of the last two seasons. In fact, his rating the last two seasons are higher than Manning or Brady have posted in all but their 49 and 50 TD seasons, respectively. Philip Rivers again this year is 2nd in the NFL in QB rating (only behind Vick). He is one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL. I'm not sure why some people are trying to discount what he has done.

So he only gets to the SuperBowl in years that he doesn't have to face Rivers? Got it! :ninja:

Also, I'm not saying Rivers is better than Manning, so cool your engines. I was just pointing out the other poster's faulty logic. HTH.

Not only is Rivers the #1 QB in FF, but think about where he was drafted (behind the likes of Brees, Manning, Rodgers, etc). What a steal!

Got him in the seventh in one league, behind Romo and brady

This is a confusing thread?!

Are we talking about Rivers the fantasy player or Rivers the real life player?

In fantasy I would rather roll with Michael Vick this year. While Rivers is tremendous, Vick plays just as well and gives you a better shot for a huge game. Rivers is a fantastic fantasy friendly offense though, tough not to like him!

In real life Rivers falls way down the list. Manning, Brady, Brees, Eli and others. Part of being a real life great QB is respect and leadership. The four QB's I mentioned are unquestioned in their leadership and respect from all on and off the field. You never hear of Peyton talking shiot to the other team. There are no images of Drew Brees being an idiot. I just think to be that elite QB you have to demand respect from your entire team and it lifts the play on both sides of the ball.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I can't stand Rivers, so maybe I'm biased against him?

I agree with you regarding Manning, but the same people will fail to mention what Rivers has done with a worse o-line than Indy, an injured Gates, no V-Jax, injured Floyd, injured Mathews, no more LT......

But they will say Rivers can't holf Mannings jock because the Chargers are 5-5. Whats the Colts record?

Well I think the Colts' injuries have been worse than any other team...it's the most injured team I've EVER seen across ALL SPORTS...ever.

But the Colts are a game up on the Chargers, and the Colts are actually in an NFL division - not the AFC West.

But I do believe Rivers deserves TONS of credit, especially for his work this season. He's had as good a season as any QB in the league.

MVP-wise, I think you throw Rivers, Brady, Manning, & Vick (at this rate) into a bag and pick blindly.

This is a confusing thread?!

Are we talking about Rivers the fantasy player or Rivers the real life player?

In fantasy I would rather roll with Michael Vick this year. While Rivers is tremendous, Vick plays just as well and gives you a better shot for a huge game. Rivers is a fantastic fantasy friendly offense though, tough not to like him!

In real life Rivers falls way down the list. Manning, Brady, Brees, Eli and others. Part of being a real life great QB is respect and leadership. The four QB's I mentioned are unquestioned in their leadership and respect from all on and off the field. You never hear of Peyton talking shiot to the other team. There are no images of Drew Brees being an idiot. I just think to be that elite QB you have to demand respect from your entire team and it lifts the play on both sides of the ball.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I can't stand Rivers, so maybe I'm biased against him?

sorry but you dont see Roethlisberger talking ###### all the time? maybe thats why he got smacked, and he rapes people and people still put Rivers behind him as a person. Rivers is the leader of his team, he takes control of his team, he doesnt cuss, has 4 kids and has been married to his high school sweetheart. His Cutler/Rivers antics completely blew up and that was all Cutler induced.

people in the NFL talk ###### all the time. If you think pouty Eli is a better leader you gotta be kidding. If the Chargers had any sort of special teams they would be 8-2 at least, and we would be talking MVP easily. The fact that they are even 5-5 is all on Rivers. People continue to make excuses when Manning doesnt have his guys, and if you reversed the 2 situations people would be slobering over Peyton even more.

Rivers has now lost WR1 (VJ), WR2 (Floyd), WR3 (Naanee), WR4 (Davis), WR5 (Crayton), WR 6(Goodman), TE1 (Gates), TE2 (Wilson), RB1 Mathews

Ajirotutu was 7th on the WR list

Kory Sperry played the most snaps at TE last night was signed off the practice squad Monday and caught his first pass.

Cant compare Manning cause he has always had WR1 in Wayne

Well I think the Colts' injuries have been worse than any other team...it's the most injured team I've EVER seen across ALL SPORTS...ever.

But the Colts are a game up on the Chargers, and the Colts are actually in an NFL division - not the AFC West.

But I do believe Rivers deserves TONS of credit, especially for his work this season. He's had as good a season as any QB in the league.

MVP-wise, I think you throw Rivers, Brady, Manning, & Vick (at this rate) into a bag and pick blindly.

I think we mostly see eye to eye.

However I tend to think Rivers has dealt with more loss. Manning has still had Wayne all year. I guess its pretty even. Rivers loses vJax, then floyd and naanee, then his constant in Gates misses 2 weeks, now Crayton done for the year. Seems like every time he replaces a weapon he loses the replacement.

AFC West is better than it has been. KC is playing better than people thought and so is Oakland. Its not the South but its not the NFC West either :lol:

Rivers is not just having a season as good as any QB in the league. Hes having a season as good as any QB, EVER. On track for 37 Td's 14 Int's and 5,083 yards which would be only 1 short of Marino's record.

Manning has only been to two Super Bowls. :wacko:

Manning has only been to two Super Bowls. :wacko:

i believe he meant 1 for 2 and 0 for 0. not 1 win 2 losses.

i believe he meant 1 for 2 and 0 for 0. not 1 win 2 losses.

Yes, that is what I was referring to, but I could see where it was confusing.

:thumbsup: good for Rivers... I remember that year when Scott Mitchell was the best QB in the NFL.

you gotta be kidding me, comparing the 2 is ridiculous.

check the stats, Rivers has the highest QB rating of all-time, hes also tied for 4th all-time in yards/attempt

hes also the only QB in the discussion who has NEVER thrown more then 2 ints in 1 game

I think we mostly see eye to eye.

However I tend to think Rivers has dealt with more loss. Manning has still had Wayne all year. I guess its pretty even. Rivers loses vJax, then floyd and naanee, then his constant in Gates misses 2 weeks, now Crayton done for the year. Seems like every time he replaces a weapon he loses the replacement.

AFC West is better than it has been. KC is playing better than people thought and so is Oakland. Its not the South but its not the NFC West either :lol:

Rivers is not just having a season as good as any QB in the league. Hes having a season as good as any QB, EVER. On track for 37 Td's 14 Int's and 5,083 yards which would be only 1 short of Marino's record.

Ehh. Dallas Clark out for 10+ games, Austin Collie out 4-6, Pierre Garcon out 4, Joseph Addai out 4, Mike Hart out 4, Anthony Gonzalez out 15, Blair White out a few, D. Brown out 4. And the DEF has been nearly as bad.

But here's the difference (and I don't ask for sympathy, just pointing it out as an avid Colts fan) - the Colts, well mostly Peyton Manning, depend SO HEAVILY on chemistry with a WR. And by chemistry, I mean seeing the same things, knowing the Colts' system - which is easily the most complex pre-snap offense in the history of the NFL, and all of Manning's hand signals/hot routes/audibles. People may not know this, but practice squad players don't get to learn the signals, since they can be signed freely by any other team. So last week, when 2 of our 4 ACTIVE WR's for the Bengals game were on the practice squad that Tuesday, well it's nearly impossible to get anything going.

Not saying it isn't DIFFICULT for guys like Rivers to plug in 3rd/4th/PS players, but the loss is absolutely catastrophic for Peyton Manning. Again, the Colts have this coming since they choose to run this complex system, and choose not to teach their PS players. But IMO, that is the major difference between the teams dealing with injuries.

KMB I know we are both homers, so we will never agree on it but for the record

lets look at offense, we have both stated our cases but this will put it into comparison side by side (to date)

Dallas Clark 9g Vincent Jackson 10g

Pierre Garcon 2g Antonio Gates 2g

Austin Collie 2g Malcolm Floyd 3g

Joseph Addai 4g Ryan Mathews 2g

Mike Hart 3g Buster Davis 9g

Donald Brown 3g Legadu Naanee 5g

Ant Gonzalez 14g Patrick Crayton (3approx)

total games 37g total 34g

so games missed Peyton does have the advantage over Rivers.

but 1 key stat Reggie Wayne has played all 10 games

no charger WR has played more then 8

as for overall injuries we also are on our 5th long snapper which is key in punt blocks you have seen, Kaeding missed 3 games, our starting SS was suspended then injured, and we lost our 2nd and 3rd best rush guys (1 for season and 1 for 8g).

I have no debate on who is better, but Rivers is definately in the same league as Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and you couldnt go wrong taking either as your franchise QB and leader.

as for offensive complexity I would put them about equal, but both QB's are showing it doesnt matter who plays they can make it work.

KMB I know we are both homers, so we will never agree on it but for the record

lets look at offense, we have both stated our cases but this will put it into comparison side by side (to date)

Dallas Clark 9g Vincent Jackson 10g

Pierre Garcon 2g Antonio Gates 2g

Austin Collie 2g Malcolm Floyd 3g

Joseph Addai 4g Ryan Mathews 2g

Mike Hart 3g Buster Davis 9g

Donald Brown 3g Legadu Naanee 5g

Ant Gonzalez 14g Patrick Crayton (3approx)

total games 37g total 34g

so games missed Peyton does have the advantage over Rivers.

but 1 key stat Reggie Wayne has played all 10 games

no charger WR has played more then 8

as for overall injuries we also are on our 5th long snapper which is key in punt blocks you have seen, Kaeding missed 3 games, our starting SS was suspended then injured, and we lost our 2nd and 3rd best rush guys (1 for season and 1 for 8g).

I have no debate on who is better, but Rivers is definately in the same league as Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and you couldnt go wrong taking either as your franchise QB and leader.

as for offensive complexity I would put them about equal, but both QB's are showing it doesnt matter who plays they can make it work.

I appreciate a breakdown...a few thoughts

-You have Collie missing 2 games, he's essentially missed 4, next week will be 5, and who knows after that. He's come out in the 1st/2nd quarter against the Eagles & Patriots.

-You do make a valid argument for Wayne being completely healthy - but when EVERYONE else is injured, DEF can absolutely take him out of the game, his stats really reflect that. He nearly disappeared for a month when Collie/Garcon/Clark were injured.

-Please don't bring up Strong Safeties...Bob Sanders? Played most of one quarter. His replacement, Melvin Bullit (who could start on about 25 teams)? Out for the season after 3 (?) games. And our 3rd stringer was placed on IR during pre-season.

-Gary Bracket (our DEF captain, MLB) has missed 3 (?) games. Clint Session, out best 'playmaking LB' has a dislocated elbow/fractured forearm, missed the past 2...and most likely more. Our DT Antonio Johnson had knee surgery and was out a few weeks. Jerraud Powers, our best CB, has missed a handful of games. Our nickelback/3rd CB/slot CB, Jacob Lacey, is just FINALLY getting healthy after missing most of the season.

-The Colts are on their 4th/5th kick returners...partially from a career-threatening injury (Devin Brown) - to just playin sh!tty suckiness - the Moore dude we signed from Carolina who fumbled 2 kicks in his only start for us.

-The Colts just placed their 21st player on IR yesterday, which is the most in the league. They've also had players like Bob Sanders/Clint Session with potential season-ending injuries NOT placed on IR with hope that they can return towards the end of the season. And, as mentioned above, season-ending injuries has really just been the beginning of their injury issues.

And, as I mentioned in my previous post, I firmly believe that injuries to the Colts WR/TE's have a bigger impact than other teams...because of the complexity of they system that Peyton Manning runs. Not asking for sympathy on this point, but it really is true. It's just something we bring on ourselves because of the system, and because we keep practice squad players out of the loop.

To end on something positive - Philip Rivers has played out of his mind this season, especially considering he's suffered injuries to many/most of his weapons. He has cemented himself as an elite QB in this league (if he hadn't already), and is firmly in the MVP-race, deservedly so.

It seems every season Manning has a different reason to win the MVP. In 2008, it was his offseason surgery/1st half disappointment, combined with 2nd half perfection on his way to 9 straight wins. In 2009, it was a tremendous statistical season on his way to leading a perfect record. It probably seems old to some people, but what he's been able to do with absolute no-names really should put him in the MVP discussion as well.

fwiw i don't view Manning as being in the MVP discussion.

i suppose he is but it just doesn't hit me like it has in the past. flying under the radar i guess.

and seeing the breakdown on injuries strengthens my belief that Rivers has had less to work with. You simply can't ignore the fact that Peyton has had his number 1 guy available all year.

RHR didn't even mention the lack of LT, one of the best pass catching backs of all time.

true about Collie, I only looked at games played, but essentially if we are gonna go there, Floyd left in the 1st q against STL, Gates most likely wont play this week, Mathews again as well.

Only guys I counted as max games were guys out for the year, Clark and Davis

Who cares about playoff games? Fantasy football takes place during the regular season. As Rivers is likely the top QB in most if not all leagues, I would hardley call it an over-reaction.

The post says he's the best "QB in the league" not in fantasy football you moron

I would still take manning, brady, and brees over him if it came down to it but i think the mvp is a 3 man race with rivers, manning, and vick.

Vick has a chance because of they hype and wow factor.

Manning is going under the radar because greatness is expected of him. The injuries he's had to deal with are ridiculous.

Rivers has the same injury horrors. Weren't they out their top 4 WR's for one game? Plus he also has the stats with one of the worst WR groups, and a decent running game.

At this point, i'd give the MVP to rivers. His stats are pretty much better across the board than mannings (admittedly just barely). The exception beign avg/a and big plays. Mannings guys have missed many games too but it seems like rivers guys have missed moreo games at the same time.

With all that said, i hate rivers attitude. He's a whiny little biatch. Whats up with qb's lately? Eli manning, cutler, rivers, young, leinhart. For a few years, qb's have had rotten attitudes. Thankfully ryan, flacco, and bradford aren't cut from the same cloth.