Sign in to follow this  
idlewild

Week 16 Defenses

If it's anything I learned this past week, it's that starting a defense based on a rookie (and one non-rookie) quarterback starting on the opposing team is not a great strategy. Flynn, Grossman, and - gulp - Tebow all had decent games and I expect good numbers from Webb tonight.

That said, it's not too early to start looking at defenses for the championship game. I'm going to post my top 5 as some of these guys may have been dropped to make room for keepers by teams that have already lost in the playoffs:

5. Jacksonville vs. Washington - A must-win at home if the Jagoffs stand a chance.

4. Green Bay vs. NYG - The Giants will cave faster than Eli's self confidence when they go down early in Green Bay.

3. Tampa Bay vs. Seattle - Seattle is awful on the road and now there is a potential QB controversy brewing...

2. Chicago vs. NYJ - Sanchez will have his hands full with a Bears secondary after LT and Greene fail to produce on the ground.

1. Pittsburgh vs. Carolina - um, yeah, this one is going to be ugly.

Others, Philly at home versus Minnesota and Baltimore at Cleveland...

Who else do you like?

Dallas vs Arizona

I'll be going with Philly against the Vikes.

And San Diego at Cincy. Don't like rolling with defenses on the road, but SD is in a must win situation and the Bengals lost their best receiver.

I'll be going with Philly against the Vikes.

And San Diego at Cincy. Don't like rolling with defenses on the road, but SD is in a must win situation and the Bengals lost their best receiver.

Agreed - SD Def has been statistically solid all year (#1 vs Pass, #3 vs Run). They'll shut Benson and w/o Owens, the Cinci passing game will be worthless.

Good points re: San Diego's defense...

How do you feel about Tampa? I'm starting to rethink having them so highly ranked as injuries have decimated them, but Seattle is just putrid on the road...

Good points re: San Diego's defense...

How do you feel about Tampa? I'm starting to rethink having them so highly ranked as injuries have decimated them, but Seattle is just putrid on the road...

Tampa MUST win and like you said; Seattle is terrible on the road. All the injuries seem to have hurt their value. I was planning on rolling with them but who knows? My waiver wire defenses are pretty slim....

Some not so obvious DEF i wouldn't mind starting dependind on your scoring setttings.

KC at home vs Ten

Houstonat vs Den

Tampa at home vs Sea

Jac at home vs Wash

I still like Tampa vs Seattle but just a reminder that Tampa's D has been decimated from what it was earlier this year.

They put up 0 fantasy points this week against Detroit.

I still like Tampa vs Seattle but just a reminder that Tampa's D has been decimated from what it was earlier this year.

Yes. That scares me...a lot.

I like KC too.

Yea you got a point they put up 7.13 pts in my league.

After watching Webb last night, I'm really struggling between Pitt and Philly. I've been hoping for weeks that I get to cash in on Car @ Pitt, but that 0 Pitt just gave me has me flustered.

I also have SD as an option, but I like the other two better. Anyways, seems like there are a lot of good options this week.

I have been riding nyg and atl all year....now there matchups are terrible in the superbowl

here are my choices

nyg at gbay

atl vs no

sf at stl

or

pick up Jack vs Wash

thoughts are appreciated. :thumbsup:

pick up Jack vs Wash?

Jacksonville is risky, but if we get "Bad Rex" this weekend, they could win you your championship. I will either play them or Miami.

Philly vs Minn

Did you all see how raw Webb is? This guy when faced with a blitz was either taking sacks or throwing prayers off his backfoot and all Philly does is blitz, this will be a bonanza for points.

Jacksonville is risky, but if we get "Bad Rex" this weekend, they could win you your championship. I will either play them or Miami.

would you play jacksonville over sanfran at stl?

would you play jacksonville over sanfran at stl?

Yes.....but only because San Fran has screwed me everytime I started them this year (2 or 3 times) in games that they should have dominated defensively. Again, Jags are high risk/reward.

Philly vs Minn

Did you all see how raw Webb is? This guy when faced with a blitz was either taking sacks or throwing prayers off his backfoot and all Philly does is blitz, this will be a bonanza for points.

Philly is on no legit waiver wire, and any owner will be starting them. You are probably right though........since I play against them in a championship game this weekend.

1. The Buccaneers' battered defense. The Bucs have lost five starters to injury in the past month alone—has allowed an opponent to score following the two-minute warning in each of the past two games, and the Bucs have been outscored 23-21 in the past three fourth quarters.

2. Stopping the running game. Before the injuries struck, the Bucs were doing a pretty good job of stopping the run. They had a three-game stretch in which they didn’t give up 100 yards rushing, but in the past two weeks they have allowed 369 yards rushing on 56 carries, a 6.6 yards-per-carry average.

Link

what about det vs mia, that front 4 is nasty and mia hasn't been lighting it up.

cory

I am flipping between SD and PHI this week. Both have good matchups. If ADP does not play, then it is a no-brainer for Philly, but right now, I am kinda leaning towards SD.

I am kinda leaning towards SD.

Perhaps....but I just can't get that Oakland game out of my head.

Perhaps....but I just can't get that Oakland game out of my head.

Ya, but Jason Campbell and Darren McFadden are HOF worthy players... Wait. Nevermind. :wall:

I'm having a hard time deciding between TB vs Sea (Like the matchup, but TB's D has been decimated and they have been awful fantasy scoring wise lately), JAC vs Wash (The Jags defense hasn't really had a big game all season), but am leaning towards STL vs SF (STL has been consistent at sacks and interceptions, and also a decent return game. This is the game I hope Amendola breaks one).

Anyone know which team gives up the most fantasy points to opposing defenses? My guess would be Seattle, but have no idea.

Anyone like Balt @ Clev? I have to choose between Balt and SD.

Baltimore may get some sacks. McCoy, however is very careful with the ball. In the 6 games he has started he only has 3 total turnovers. The Cleveland special teams unit is probably the best in the NFL in kickoff coverage as well so don't expect much in their return game. I'd roll with SD. In fact, Baltimore is on my waiver wire and I am considering about 5 defenses before them.

Anyone like Balt @ Clev? I have to choose between Balt and SD.

I'd roll with San Diego. I think they are a top 3 option this week. I wouldn't put Baltimore far behind them though.

Jacksonville is the third-lowest scoring defense in my league. They've only scored in double digits twice, have posted a negative score 4 times, and have scored 3 points or less 6 additional times, averaging less than 3 points per week. Don't think I'd trust them in the championship game...

Jacksonville is the third-lowest scoring defense in my league. They've only scored in double digits twice, have posted a negative score 4 times, and have scored 3 points or less 6 additional times, averaging less than 3 points per week. Don't think I'd trust them in the championship game...

Shhhhh!!!!

I just saw my opponent moved Jaxoffville into his starting lineup!!!!

Dont spook him!!!

Rams vs. 9ers

is looking like my best match up on the wire...

but GB vs. NYG looks pretty good too, although it could become a little high scoring....

I think I gotta roll with GB over the Rams...

:unsure: :huh:

Rams vs. 9ers

is looking like my best match up on the wire...

but GB vs. NYG looks pretty good too, although it could become a little high scoring....

I think I gotta roll with GB over the Rams...

:unsure: :huh:

it's between CHI and GB for me, but i'm very suspicious of this matchup for GB due to the shootout potential.

I'm having a hard time deciding between TB vs Sea (Like the matchup, but TB's D has been decimated and they have been awful fantasy scoring wise lately), JAC vs Wash (The Jags defense hasn't really had a big game all season), but am leaning towards STL vs SF (STL has been consistent at sacks and interceptions, and also a decent return game. This is the game I hope Amendola breaks one).

Anyone know which team gives up the most fantasy points to opposing defenses? My guess would be Seattle, but have no idea.

I'm having to chose between TB, Dallas (or Arizona), Detroit, and GB.

I also think KC at home will be tough against Tennessee.

it's between CHI and GB for me, but i'm very suspicious of this matchup for GB due to the shootout potential.

yea there's def a shootout potential, but typically games played in the dead of winter are defensive games (even when it's 2 good offenses going against each other)

i think GB will do fine... at least get me 2 picks from eli with maybe a sack or 2 (even though the giants haven't given up many sacks)

also, GB seems to have the propensity for pick 6's when they actually do get to INT the ball....

perhaps a fumble from jacobs/bradshaw...

looks to be an okay match up on paper actually :o

if i were you though, i think i might roll with chicago.... :P

In bad weather games the pats went off against the bears and the bears went off against the vikings.

Im stuck starting KC vs Tenn or Jac vs wash, im leaning towards KC.