Sign in to follow this  
Natetradomus

Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh

If Ben has a bad game, but Pit still wins...would you say Ben deserves to be in the HOF?

Not to play semantics, but let's define "bad." In one respect, I would say that if Ben doesn't play well, the Steelers can't win. But let's break that down a little.

He is 10-2 in the playoffs. In those 10 wins, two of them were "bad" games. Statistically, they were awful. 22.3 as a QB rating, and 35.5. Terrible statistical games. Look more closely, though.

*In Super Bowl XV, his worst playoff game ever, he scored a TD. He ran for a critical first down on 3rd & 6, and completed a couple of very critical third down passes that extended important drives. In his worst game . . .

*Sunday, he had a decent first half, even statistically speaking. He ran for a TD; he rushed 8 times for 27 yards (the 11-for-21 is with "kneel" downs), including a few first downs picked up when the Jets coverage was so complete; and when the Steelers needed to keep the ball away from the surging Jets team, he threw for two first downs at the end of the game on third downs to seal the game - one of those as he was being flushed from the pocket.

Consider further . . . one of his interceptions was as good as a punt, and neither left his defense on a short field. He was sacked minimally, and that despite losing his best offensive lineman. You could argue that he stepped up in that game, and where his statistics make it look like it was the defense bailing him out, he certainly made the things happen that allowed the Steelers to win that game.

Now, fast forward two weeks. What does your hypothetical "bad" game look like? Todd Collins? That would be bad, and I don't think Pittsburgh wins that. But "bad" like the two above-mentioned games? If they pull out that win, yeah, I think it does. To say he doesn't in that case is to diminish the quality of the defense he's playing, and his remarkable ability to come through in the clutch.

^^^ you can play and tweak statistics like that to support a similar notion with any Super Bowl QB.

as much as i've been impressed by the packers this postseason, i don't see them beating pittsburgh.

not that i'm any pitt fan (okay, you've been there enough--move along already). and i'm certainly no rapistberger fan, that's for damn sure.

just saying.

The Packers can win, but they have to play better on offense against them than they did against Chicago.

Heavy blow to the Steelers - Pouncey is now listed as "out." Losing their best offensive lineman is going to be tough, and really make it hard to control Raji. Ugh. They can do it, but this will change the makeup of the game, and certainly make the running game more of a challenge. Fortunately, they have time to work out the kinks with the center/QB exchange . . .

Yea, I'm starting to have feelings swaying the other way towards GB. All going to depend on whether PItt can get to Rodgers..... We've seen it before, as recently as 2 weeks back with Brady - doensn't matter who you are - if you don't have time, you can't throw.......... Also, as silly as it sounds - isn't PItt wearing the road white jersey? They just don't seem as intimidating in those compared to the home black.

The Packers can win, but they have to play better on offense against them than they did against Chicago.

Not sure if anyone plays Green Bay tougher than division rival Chicago. There are no surprises when these teams meet.

Heavy blow to the Steelers - Pouncey is now listed as "out." Losing their best offensive lineman is going to be tough, and really make it hard to control Raji. Ugh. They can do it, but this will change the makeup of the game, and certainly make the running game more of a challenge. Fortunately, they have time to work out the kinks with the center/QB exchange . . .

This could be a big deal. Maybe not because like you said, the Steelers have time, but Pouncey was the OL quarterback. I'm sure Dom Capers will have some new twists for Legursky on the line....attempting to confuse the Steelers up front.

as much as i've been impressed by the packers this postseason, i don't see them beating pittsburgh.

not that i'm any pitt fan (okay, you've been there enough--move along already). and i'm certainly no rapistberger fan, that's for damn sure.

just saying.

I have the opposite view: I don't see Pittsburgh beating Green Bay. I cannot see them putting up enough points to keep up with Rodgers throwing up the seam, and I see some screens being very effective in this game. I also think that Quarless will factor significantly in the offensive game plan - and he's going to have to come through.

I like Green Bay on an indoor field far better than Pittsburgh. I'll stick with 27-20 Green Bay.

It will come down to protection. If Rodgers is getting hit all day they'll probably lose.

Give him time and I think they win.

Steelers have a great pass rush so I think this one could go either way.

GB - 20

PIT - 17

^^^ you can play and tweak statistics like that to support a similar notion with any Super Bowl QB.

Exactly. For some reason every time people mention Roethlisberger had a bad game...his fans will point out his two or three good plays. It is possible to have a good play or two in an overall poor performance.

Exactly. For some reason every time people mention Roethlisberger had a bad game...his fans will point out his two or three good plays. It is possible to have a good play or two in an overall poor performance.

Actually, you're not right. I did not argue that Ben had a "good" game. He did, however, while having a "bad" game, still have a very clutch game. You don't have to like that. But it is true. You make it sound as though "his fans" dismiss the poor performance. "His fans" are simply pointing out that, at his worst he puts his team in position to win. The Steelers are never out of a game . . . because of #7. Period.

Actually, you're not right. I did not argue that Ben had a "good" game. He did, however, while having a "bad" game, still have a very clutch game. You don't have to like that. But it is true. You make it sound as though "his fans" dismiss the poor performance. "His fans" are simply pointing out that, at his worst he puts his team in position to win. The Steelers are never out of a game . . . because of #7. Period.

And the same is true of Rodgers. Period. ;)

And the same is true of Rodgers. Period. ;)

Do you even know what my post was in response to?

Sure. Didn't change my response.

Okay . . . totally off the original point, but . . . okay.

For those who don't follow the Steelers closely, take a look at our MLB Timmons. I'm not sure how many middle backers I would take over him as he is an athletic freak.

He is an amazing player who drops into coverage and runs with wr's as good as anyone.

For those who don't follow the Steelers closely, take a look at our MLB Timmons. I'm not sure how many middle backers I would take over him as he is an athletic freak.

He is an amazing player who drops into coverage and runs with wr's as good as anyone.

For those who don't follow the Packers closely, take a look at our NT Raji. I'm not sure how many nose tackles I would take over him as he is an athletic freak.

He is an amazing player who drops into coverage and has a pick-6 in the playoffs. :banana:

It truly is an exciting time to be a Steelers fan.

This is the ninth time I have experienced this level of excitement. It still feels like waiting for Christmas as a kid.

I would like Pittsburgh to win but I can't see how.

QB -- edge Packers ... As battle tested as Ben is Rodgers is one of if not the leagues best QB right now.

RB - edge Steelers ... Starks had 2 solid games but is far from Mendenhall

WR -- edge Packers ...Packers have 4 starter qaulity WR's. this isn't close

Oline - edge Packers ... neither Oline is all world but Pittsburgh is a little injured so slight edge here

TE -- Edge Stellers ... Miller is a very underated TE who is always solid

DL -- edge Steelers ... Harrison alone makes this choice easy

LB - edge Packers ... Not that STeelers here they don't but Clay Mathews might be the best there is right now..

DB -- Edge Packers ... If troy was 100% it would be close but Packers DB's have been lights OUT!!

Coaching - Edge push ... I really like Tomlin as a motivater but I really like Green Bay's total staff.

I can't see Pittsburgh stopping Rogers with those 4 weapons on dome turf! I can see Green Bay shutting down pittsburghs offense as there will be MANY blitz's by Packers as well as the DB's are playing they can blitz at will.

Keys to the match up

for Green Bay ... Same ole same ole - Rogers be Rogers and Clay be Clay - just wrap up Ben don't just hit him.

For Pittsburgh ... Ben will need to buy time as he will be under pressure all game and on Defense they have to get pressure on Rodgers if not it could be a blow out.

I would like Pittsburgh to win but I can't see how.

QB -- edge Packers ... As battle tested as Ben is Rodgers is one of if not the leagues best QB right now.

RB - edge Steelers ... Starks had 2 solid games but is far from Mendenhall

WR -- edge Packers ...Packers have 4 starter qaulity WR's. this isn't close

Oline - edge Packers ... neither Oline is all world but Pittsburgh is a little injured so slight edge here

TE -- Edge Stellers ... Miller is a very underated TE who is always solid

DL -- edge Steelers ... Harrison alone makes this choice easy

LB - edge Packers ... Not that STeelers here they don't but Clay Mathews might be the best there is right now..

DB -- Edge Packers ... If troy was 100% it would be close but Packers DB's have been lights OUT!!

Coaching - Edge push ... I really like Tomlin as a motivater but I really like Green Bay's total staff.

I can't see Pittsburgh stopping Rogers with those 4 weapons on dome turf! I can see Green Bay shutting down pittsburghs offense as there will be MANY blitz's by Packers as well as the DB's are playing they can blitz at will.

Keys to the match up

for Green Bay ... Same ole same ole - Rogers be Rogers and Clay be Clay - just wrap up Ben don't just hit him.

For Pittsburgh ... Ben will need to buy time as he will be under pressure all game and on Defense they have to get pressure on Rodgers if not it could be a blow out.

I agree with most points but a few

Harrison is a LB, not on the Dline, but even so, Hampton and Raji cancel each other out because they are both beasts...but the DE's on the STeelers are more solid then the Packers.

Steelers LB line is better then the Packers....Sure they have Matthews, but shut him down and what do you have? The Steelers have Harrison, Woodley, Timmons and Farrior (although he is getting older).....that is a complete unit right there.

Congrats Packers fans. I thought that was a pretty good Super Bowl. I was a little worried (I was rooting for the Packers) that Roethlisberger may find a way to lead the Steelers to victory even when they were down 21-3, but Aaron Rodgers was just too damn good. That's the kind of quarterback you want. A guy who can put up points and even when the other team keeps putting on the pressure he still continues to drive his team down the field. Very impressive.

As an Eagles fan I just really hope that Michael Vick will prove he's capable of doing such things. God it would be nice if the Eagles could finally win a Super Bowl, but that's another subject.

Congrats again to the Packers and their fans. :thumbsup:

Congrats Packer fans. Haven't seen a team like this, to have to overcome so many injuries and win the Super Bowl. You guys definitely deserve this.

Congrats Packer fans. Haven't seen a team like this, to have to overcome so many injuries and win the Super Bowl. You guys definitely deserve this.

Just imagine when those injured players come back next year :D

Go Pack Go!

Tomlin better lock Ben in his room because he's gonna wanna party in Texas!

Rodgers and his receivers too much for Pittsburgh's D on the Dallas fast track. Rodgers throws for at least 325.

Clay, Raji, Pickett, and Woodson in Ben's face all day. Mendenhall fumbles once to go with 2 Big Ben turnovers.

Pack 34

Pittsburgh 20

:first:

:wave:

Didn't give Pitt quite enough credit and off by about 20 yards passing for Rodgers, but pretty spot on. Pitt's turnovers were the difference. :cheers:

Just imagine when those injured players come back next year :D

Go Pack Go!

You call that SCARY!!