Sign in to follow this  
Dragan187

I wanna buy new golf clubs

I'm a Weekend warrior....and shoot in the mid 90s. Current set are Titleist DCIs that are about 12 years old. Had no business buying them to begin with, but thats another story. Looking to score some irons for about 400 bucks. (new or used/ it dont matter)

Any suggestions? :unsure:

I bought a set of used ping ISI's 4-5 years ago, I had them reshafted with regular flex steel shafts and new grips and I love them. They have a low center of gravity with the cavity back design, they are extremely easy to hit straight.

They do not have as much distance as newer irons, but I dont really care about distance with my irons, i care more about accuracy.

They are right around your price range

http://cgi.ebay.com/PING-ISI-Nickel-Irons-BLUE-DOT-Set-IST-Nickle-clubs-3-W-/370372192785?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item563be72a11

I'm a believer that guys shooting in the 80s and 90s should be using Game Improvement Irons designed to get the ball up and straight, as oppose to players irons designed to work the ball right and left. I don't know much about the DCIs, but by reputation Titlist irons tend to lean more towards the Players Iron category.

My handicap is 12. I'm always in the low 80s and have shot in the 70s a few times. I still use Game Improvement Irons and have no intention of stopping. 7 year old Big Bertha's (looking to upgrade next summer I think).

Here is golf digests list of Super Game Improvement Irons:

Super Game Improvement

And here is the list of regular Game Improvement Irons:

Game Improvement Irons

Sometimes, golf ego amazes me. I have a buddy that shoots anywhere from 90 to 110. Giant slicer and poor contact with irons. Yet now he is looking at new clubs and he thinks he needs a driver designed to work the ball, and blade irons. Plus he refuses to use any ball besides a Pro V1, despite the fact that it increases his slice and his swing speed is too slow for that ball's compression.......Because as he puts it "My goal is the fix those things with my swing, not with equipment". And yeah, that's an admirable goal. But let the technology help you out.

Sorry for the tangent. Get something in the Game Improvement category. Once you find a set you like, you can maybe go back one generation and get them for $400. Or bid on ebay for new ones. :thumbsup:

I just got incredibly lucky and scored a new set of Cleveland CG16 irons 3-pw for $399. My secretary's son ordered a set thru a friend of his cousins who works for Cleveland and cut him a sweet deal. Problem is that he sent him a right handed set and he's a lefty. We shamed him into letting me keep this set and send out another for the same price. Unless you know someone that works for one of the major companies a good new set will cost you about $700 to $800. Look at your local golf shops for a good used set. Callaway X20's or X22's would be a very nice set and I'd think you would be able to get them in that $400 price range.

I'm a believer that guys shooting in the 80s and 90s should be using Game Improvement Irons designed to get the ball up and straight, as oppose to players irons designed to work the ball right and left.

Here is golf digests list of Super Game Improvement Irons:

Super Game Improvement

And here is the list of regular Game Improvement Irons:

Game Improvement Irons

Sometimes, golf ego amazes me. I have a buddy that shoots anywhere from 90 to 110. Giant slicer and poor contact with irons. Yet now he is looking at new clubs and he thinks he needs a driver designed to work the ball, and blade irons. Plus he refuses to use any ball besides a Pro V1, despite the fact that it increases his slice and his swing speed is too slow for that ball's compression.

Because as he puts it "My goal is the fix those things with my swing, not with equipment". And yeah, that's an admirable goal. But let the technology help you out.

Sorry for the tangent. Get something in the Game Improvement category. :thumbsup:

I agree with CB on this......

Honestly its like i used to say when i played tennis......if you can play....you can play...and the equipment wont matter that much. Its such a technical physical sport that if your mechanics suck....it wont matter what clubs you have.

I disagree slightly with cb regarding players shooting 80's and 90's needing game improvement clubs. I think it much more about skill and style than score as a poor short game and putting will not have u breaking 80 but does not at all dictate you should be using "game improvement clubs.

Take it from someone who worked in the golf industry for 7 years. Do your homework and find a reputable eBay seller and you can save a lot of money even on a brand new set

I'm a believer that guys shooting in the 80s and 90s should be using Game Improvement Irons designed to get the ball up and straight, as oppose to players irons designed to work the ball right and left. I don't know much about the DCIs, but by reputation Titlist irons tend to lean more towards the Players Iron category.

I don't totally agree.

Yea, I think many times people's clubs out-rate their ability. But, I know plenty of people 80s or 90s shooters that can't stand a fat iron. The ones that Callaway is known for. I can't either. I hit them fat, I have no feel of anything. They are easier to hit for a lot of people, but defiantly not all.

I'm a 10. I have an older Titleist Driver that if upgraded could most defiantly help my game...at the very least just for distance and launch. But I also have an older set of Titleist 762 irons which are still in great shape and I hit great. I have tried all sorts of irons in my life, and fat irons don't really work for me.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3946487&cp=2367438.4074790.4074793

I've heard friends like this set. The reviews on the page are good.

I disagree slightly with cb regarding players shooting 80's and 90's needing game improvement clubs. I think it much more about skill and style than score as a poor short game and putting will not have u breaking 80 but does not at all dictate you should be using "game improvement clubs.

Take it from someone who worked in the golf industry for 7 years. Do your homework and find a reputable eBay seller and you can save a lot of money even on a brand new set

Yeah, obviously if he's on or near most greens in regulation, but then blades a chip and 3 putts his way to a 95, then he has different issues.

But my general point is: Let the technology available make the game as easy as possible. The game is more fun that way.

Too many people pass on clubs that are easier to hit now because they anticipate improving their game by leaps and bounds over the next 3 years, and at that point they'll be too good for Super Game Improvement clubs. :rolleyes:

I agree with Wonder here. Some people are pretty decent ball strikers and irons players but due to lack of short game, can't score - just depends. Say you used to play Titleist DCI's - solid sticks, def more of a player's club than gave improvement. I would say this, if you hit them well and were comfortable flighting the golf ball, perhaps you should stay with that style. I know for sure the 981's had very little offset - most game imrovement clubs have tons of it as well as thick top lines and wide bottom soles. You go from a 981 model to a Ping G15 and you will hit everything fat and left of left field........ Also keep in mind the lofts of today's clubs are stronger than they used to be - 8 irons of today are closer to the lofts of 7 irons back in the 80's........ As with all clubs though, the shaft is the most important part of the club in relation to you hitting it solidly. Make sure you get the right one for your swing, not body size.

At that price range you might look at:

* Titleist AP1

* Cleveland CG 16 (great sticks)

* Adams CB2 (adams is a great brand nobody plays - but they offer several models mixed with hybrids for great prices, def take a look at all of their line)

I have Callaway X-20s. They're pretty great.

Agreed.... Tell you what makes Callaway irons like this so great, the uni-fex shafts. These shafts are one of the best invents to ever hit the golfing world - perfect shaft for so many to play.

I am a bogey golfer. I can strike the ball well but not consistently well. My problem is I usually have 4 or 5 holes where I absolutely blow it and will have a 7 or 8 on a par 4. As stated, I am a weekend golfer. i love to play, but with 3 kids and a wife...thats all I'm gonna get in. Todays technology in clubs is a lot better than 10 years ago. They are weighted differently, lofts changed, etc.

I've narrowed my search to Cleveland CG-16, Cleveland tour action TA7, or an Adams A2oS

I'm a 12... I have Ben Hogan Apex pros... Short irons are close to blades, long irons are cavity backed... I was always of the type that hated standing over fat bulky cavity backed clubs with no feel.. I like that i can basically tell by feel whats going on with the shot... My short game is what limits my scoring... The irons are great though...

I am a bogey golfer. I can strike the ball well but not consistently well. My problem is I usually have 4 or 5 holes where I absolutely blow it and will have a 7 or 8 on a par 4. As stated, I am a weekend golfer. i love to play, but with 3 kids and a wife...thats all I'm gonna get in. Todays technology in clubs is a lot better than 10 years ago. They are weighted differently, lofts changed, etc.

I've narrowed my search to Cleveland CG-16, Cleveland tour action TA7, or an Adams A2oS

Hard for me to imagine a weekend golfer that doesn't consistently hit his irons well needing irons as unforgiving as the Tour Action's. But that's just me. :dunno:

Edit: I haven't hit them. Just going by what I read.

My first instinct is the Adams would be best for your skill level. But once you've got it this narrowed down you should go to the range and hit all 3. Go with whichever ones you hit the best.

Hard for me to imagine a weekend golfer that doesn't consistently hit his irons well needing irons as unforgiving as the Tour Action's. But that's just me. :dunno:

TA 7's unforgiving? I'm not sure I agree with that at all. In fact, the TA model is a very forgiving stick built for game improvement. The TA 5 was actually the model I think was the best, but even the 6 and 7 are really good models as well. What I like about this line is that the heads are a wee bit smaller but they maintain a full cavity back design. Also on the 7, they thinned out the top line and move more weight to the bottom of the club to make getting the ball up in the air even easier. Me personally I hit these models too high, but that's just me - overall I think this line is a fantastic series of clubs.

TA 7's unforgiving? I'm not sure I agree with that at all. In fact, the TA model is a very forgiving stick built for game improvement. The TA 5 was actually the model I think was the best, but even the 6 and 7 are really good models as well. What I like about this line is that the heads are a wee bit smaller but they maintain a full cavity back design. Also on the 7, they thinned out the top line and move more weight to the bottom of the club to make getting the ball up in the air even easier. Me personally I hit these models too high, but that's just me - overall I think this line is a fantastic series of clubs.

I've never hit them. When I saw his post I read some reviews and people were saying they weren't very forgiving.

But I totally defer to you here. :thumbsup:

edit: In general, people buying irons beyond their skill level is a hot button issue for me this month due to a couple of friends making bad buys against my advice. But I know their games enough to have these opinions, whereas I don't know people's games on this message board. :thumbsdown:

My range is 77 to 85 at the moment. Recently got Callaway x forged 2009's. Lovevthem. I've always preferred a forged club with a thin look. Afterall, golf is mostly mental. U have to have Comfort in what you're looking down at.

I got Taylor Made Burner irons last year and love them, very forgiving.

My range is 77 to 85 at the moment. Recently got Callaway x forged 2009's. Lovevthem. I've always preferred a forged club with a thin look. Afterall, golf is mostly mental. U have to have Comfort in what you're looking down at.

I'm in that same 77-85 range. I have a 60 degree X-Forged wedge that I do love.

I should probably open myself up to the idea that I maaayyy be good enough to hit forged irons as this point. I'm pretty decent with the 8-SW. But I still feel like a buster anytime I have a 3,4, or 5 in my hands. In general, I feel I score so well because I drive it well, and am solid around the greens. Irons are definitely my weak spot.

I may be a candidate for mixed set. Hybrids replacing the 3 and 4. Cavities with 5,6,7. Forged with 8 through the wedges. Or something.

I've definitely got the equipment bug right now. Not a cheap bug to have.

I'm in that same 77-85 range. I have a 60 degree X-Forged wedge that I do love.

I should probably open myself up to the idea that I maaayyy be good enough to hit forged irons as this point. I'm pretty decent with the 8-SW. But I still feel like a buster anytime I have a 3,4, or 5 in my hands. In general, I feel I score so well because I drive it well, and am solid around the greens. Irons are definitely my weak spot.

I may be a candidate for mixed set. Hybrids replacing the 3 and 4. Cavities with 5,6,7. Forged with 8 through the wedges. Or something.

I've definitely got the equipment bug right now. Not a cheap bug to have.

its complete misconception that forged is only for better players. Mizuno makes a number of more forgiving forged cubs. There are also plenty of forged cavity or muscle back irons. Granted the cavities tend to he smaller than a cast iron. I would not suggest getting some forged and some cast. Keep the same feelvthroughout the set. Ofcourse hybrids would be the exception.

Use the clubs you already have, drink tons of beer, and throw the score card pencil outta the cart as soon as you have hit 72 shots (no matter what hole yer on), and brag about being a scratch golfer in the clubhouse.

The game is fun that way.

I'm a Weekend warrior....and shoot in the mid 90s. Current set are Titleist DCIs that are about 12 years old. Had no business buying them to begin with, but thats another story. Looking to score some irons for about 400 bucks. (new or used/ it dont matter)

Any suggestions? :unsure:

get a custom set

i will get you under 90 with this one club suggestion...

it is necessary with whatever set of clubs you choose (even the ones you already own) that you have the loft and lie angle adjusted to your swing. the problem with many clubs "off the shelf" is that they are not bendable if they are cast and not forged. cast clubs can break at the hosel if they have to be bent considerably. for many years i played clubs that were not adjusted to my correct lie angle (+3) and the difference is noticeable.

so, there is likely a store in your area that sells used sets that people trade in if you just want new clubs (if the lie angle is off on your current set, they will feel like a new set if set up correctly). go there, find a nice set that fits your eyes when you look down. some will look too open, some too closed, and on some the top line will look to0 heavy (like big berthas or old pings for me). once you've picked a set or two, have the clubfitter or pro put you on a lie angle board and hit a couple...it only takes 2 or 3 swings to see. then, have them bent to fit. the result, no more six irons that leak just enough to make you miss 5 greens. instead, those are 5 birdie putts.

next, learn to address the ball from a square position and you'll put 90 in the rear view forever.

its complete misconception that forged is only for better players. Mizuno makes a number of more forgiving forged cubs. There are also plenty of forged cavity or muscle back irons. Granted the cavities tend to he smaller than a cast iron. I would not suggest getting some forged and some cast. Keep the same feelvthroughout the set. Ofcourse hybrids would be the exception.

I actually mistyped "forged" when speaking of the mixed set. I'm all for forged clubs and would never want to mix them with cast. I meant to say I wonder if I need a mixed bag of cavity backs and blades for the short irons. :duh:

Visit a professional and get a club fitting done. They will analyse swing speed and tendencies and customize loft, lie, length and weighting to suit your swing. Worth it. Everyones recommendations are pretty useless since they have completely different swings and body size then you.

Visit a professional and get a club fitting done. They will analyse swing speed and tendencies and customize loft, lie, length and weighting to suit your swing. Worth it. Everyones recommendations are pretty useless since they have completely different swings and body size then you.

Getting fit is always best, for sure. But you can buy a set of clubs and then have the lies, lofts, swing weights, etc. adjusted later - happens all the time.

Getting fit is always best, for sure. But you can buy a set of clubs and then have the lies, lofts, swing weights, etc. adjusted later - happens all the time.

yup. and this is often a good route to go. It all depends.

like i said before, im a big advocate of doing your homework and buying cheap from a reputable ebay dealer. you can save 20-50% in some cases. but the sets will be standard. so you can then take them to be adjusted.

i also want to point out that a good amount of golfers are actually standard when all is said and done, especially in terms of flat v. upright and length. and im not going to lie, alot of shop pro's will suggest very minor adjustments just to sound smart and or hit you with extra costs. Go to someone you trust.

yup. and this is often a good route to go. It all depends.

like i said before, im a big advocate of doing your homework and buying cheap from a reputable ebay dealer. you can save 20-50% in some cases. but the sets will be standard. so you can then take them to be adjusted.

i also want to point out that a good amount of golfers are actually standard when all is said and done, especially in terms of flat v. upright and length. and im not going to lie, alot of shop pro's will suggest very minor adjustments just to sound smart and or hit you with extra costs. Go to someone you trust.

Sure you can buy them off ebay but it is always nice to know what to buy. Why get them adjusted afterwards when you can buy them right to begin with?

Sure you can buy them off ebay but it is always nice to know what to buy. Why get them adjusted afterwards when you can buy them right to begin with?

the reason would be the 20%-50% savings i mentioned.

if cb isn't looking to save and coin, then by all means go with whatever route.

there is no differenece between getting fitted at a retail shop and buying a standard set and having them adjusted later.

Exactly as Wonder said - bcoz of the bargain. Could be somebody is cash strapped and needs some quick cash. Could be somebody is moving and needs to sell them. Could be an angry wife selling the husband's really nice set of clubs just to piss him off - just never know. But you come xross a deal and you take it. Can have the lies and lofts adjusted for $7 a club - could possibly save tons of money.

Yea, I bought my Callaway X-20 irons brand new on ebay when they first came out with an extra inch length that I knew I would need. Saved a good amount of what they cost in a store.

Looking at some TaylorMade Burner Plus irons. Anybody have any opinions on them?

Looking at some TaylorMade Burner Plus irons. Anybody have any opinions on them?

I recently bought the burner superloft irons and am LOVING them, I am a high handycap player though so they may not be what your looking for, more of a "super game improving" club

but IMO you cant go wrong with any TaylorMade product!

As far as game improvement sticks, these fall right in line with some of the best. Will find your typical features associated with clubs like this: thick, wide bottom sole, deep cavity back, big sweet spot, offset - pretty much everthing you need to get the ball up in the air and straght. Won't be ablel to work them much, but they do fly high. Also, these have extremely stonger lofts - you will prolly be at least be 1 if not 2 clubs longer with these.

This has been a very informative thread. :thumbsup: I've played i3's for about 10 years, and Eye2's for 10 before that. I used to play a lot more and have a good swing, but I just don't play enough to hit the ball consistently. If I ever break down and get new clubs, I need to swallow my pride and get some more "game improvement" irons. Problem is I don't play enough to justify the investment... oh well, I'll probably compromise and get a new driver some day (currently hitting an old Great Big Bertha).

Here's the point: With a 5-iron, if a golfer's lie angle is incorrect by 1 degree at impact, the ball flight will be off the target line by more than 10 feet. If the angle is 2 degrees off, the shot goes off line by 21 feet, etc.

The other way a bad lie angle affects the swing is if the golfer makes a compensating move in his/her swing to get the ball to go toward the target. For example, if the lie angle is too flat, the club will influence the ball to the slice side of the target. You would have to compensate for the ill-fitted club by overworking your hands in order to square the club face.

Peter Gilbert, an engineer with Titleist, estimates that 90 percent of all golfers are playing with irons that have a lie angle that is at least 2 degrees incorrect.

1 degree off misses greens. now you've got a chip for birdie. most high handicappers are horrible around the green, so they chip it and leave a 12 to 20 footer for par. know what that means? BOGEY.

This has been a very informative thread. :thumbsup: I've played i3's for about 10 years, and Eye2's for 10 before that. I used to play a lot more and have a good swing, but I just don't play enough to hit the ball consistently. If I ever break down and get new clubs, I need to swallow my pride and get some more "game improvement" irons. Problem is I don't play enough to justify the investment... oh well, I'll probably compromise and get a new driver some day (currently hitting an old Great Big Bertha).

I'm in the same boat Skids, used to play a couple a couple times a week, now it's maybe a couple times a month (when Montana weather allows). Been playing the same home built GolfSmith irons for 15-20 years. I think just about any club will probably be a 'game improvement' club. I used to think that maybe I'd be a good player some day, but I think that delusion is gone. I'll just be happy to put her down the fairway and hit a green now and then.

Thanks for the input guys. Always nice to hear from Cruzer on golf questions. Your recommendation is good enough for me. I think I'll go ahead and order them.

1 degree off misses greens. now you've got a chip for birdie. most high handicappers are horrible around the green, so they chip it and leave a 12 to 20 footer for par. know what that means? BOGEY.

i agree with the theory just disagree with his estimated numbers.

alot of high handicappers don't have poor swings because they are overcompensating for incorrect lofts and lie angles. They have a poor swing because they have a poor swing and were never taught properly or don't practice the correct moves enough.

when they impact the ball and its a mishit, i think its much more likely that they have not gotten square or made the proper moves in their swing. Less likely that they are spot on but the club is off.

as i said, length of shaft is the biggest one where people end up being standard unless you are very tall or very short. But even flat v. upright doesn't need to be adjusted as often as you would think.

but getitng a fitting is still very important.