Sign in to follow this  
Jarvis Basnight

Mark Ingram

I have a feeling Ingram may rise on cheatsheets during August but if things stay as they are, he may be pretty good value. FFToday currently has him 37th, with much lower projections than I'd give him. I'm not sure why. Maybe just being cautious before he's even signed or because he's a rookie in a lockout year.

Once this CBA thing is worked out we may know more. Starting with what will happen with Reggie Bush. If Reggie leaves then there's a bigger piece of the pie for Ingram. I believe he's already going to be the guy with the bulk of the carries. Why you ask? Because the Saints traded away their 2nd rounder and 2012 1st round pick to move back up into the 1st round of this year's draft to get him. That says a lot to me. And I don't buy into the rookie theory when talking about RB's. Maybe the rookie wall, but as far as learning the playbook, RB may be one of the easiest positions.

What are your thoughts on this rookie moving into an explosive offense?

How much of a threat will P Thomas be?

What about Ivory?

Will Bush be gone?

I know FFToday's projections and have a hard time believing them. Ingram's going to be the 1st in line imo, and he's going to be the best all around back they have from day 1 on the job, including goal line carries. What's your projection for Ingram?

I'm guessing: 220 carries, 1034 yards, 35 receptions for 210 yards, 12 total TD's. <Solid #2 RB numbers>

No, not to early JB.

Many will cite the competition for carries/touches, his "lack of explosiveness" referring to mediocre 40-time, his minor knee injury, and some of his success a result of running behind a good Bama line....

But the fact is, he has been productive. He has the instincts and feel for the game. He comes into a high-powered offense. There will be a lot of TDs that somebody is going to get in that offense.

The Saints GM has shown to be good in the recent years at finding talent in the draft. That is part of the reason for their success. The fact that he gave up so much as JB said to move up to get this guy says a lot... they really wanted M.Ingram.

If Ingram comes in and does what they envision him to be, I would not want to be one of the guys who passed on him in the fantasy draft. Especially in a keeper league.

This kid has the all the skills to succeed in the NFL. Plus 2 other factors.

1. He has the work ethic to go with talent. He'll be the first one to practice, the last one to leave, and I believe he'll give a %100 out on the field everytime he has the ball.

2. He was drafted by a really good team, who also put all their eggs into his basket. (Next years first, plus a first round contract).

So he also has the opportunity and situation working for him too.

When I look at the overall picture. I see a RB that can be your #1 or #2 back on you fantasy squad for the next 10 years, no questions asked. Will he ever be a top 3 NFL back, who knows? But you can start him week in and week out and not look back, or second guess yourself.

For a dynasty league. I believe this is the best RB prospect you could draft at #1 or #2 since Adrian Peterson.

This kid has the all the skills to succeed in the NFL. Plus 2 other factors.

1. He has the work ethic to go with talent. He'll be the first one to practice, the last one to leave, and I believe he'll give a %100 out on the field everytime he has the ball.

2. He was drafted by a really good team, who also put all their eggs into his basket. (Next years first, plus a first round contract).

So he also has the opportunity and situation working for him too.

When I look at the overall picture. I see a RB that can be your #1 or #2 back on you fantasy squad for the next 10 years, no questions asked. Will he ever be a top 3 NFL back, who knows? But you can start him week in and week out and not look back, or second guess yourself.

For a dynasty league. I believe this is the best RB prospect you could draft at #1 or #2 since Adrian Peterson.

:shocking: Wow, so you're kind of a believer then?

Ingram will definatly contribute, but Ivory and Thomas are not going away. Pierre is somewhat of a question Mark, but Ivory will be a big factor in my opinion. RBBC all the way.

NO - Cutting RB Reggie Bush will save a ton

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune - Jeff Duncan

The New Orleans Saints will create another $12 million of salary cap space by releasing RB Reggie Bush once the NFL lockout is lifted.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Bush is going to have to restructure or take his walking papers. The question is whether another team will pay him more than the four million of dead cap space he would represent for the Saints. We're guessing yes, but it'll be the last time a team sticks their neck out financially to add Bush.

Doesn't mean they will do it.. they may restructure his contract for quite a bit less... but either way like stated above I really don't think the saints would have traded up that high in the draft to get him if they didn't figure him to be a big part of their game plan and Reggie Bush's possible departure... they need a guy that can get those goal line TD's to maximize the effectiveness/balance of their offense.. he could have a great year

The biggest thing I think holding his value back is the lock out.. getting those reps in... and learning the system in a short period of time.. I think best case scenario IF Bush leaves... we could start to see Ingram really become a part of their game plan around week 3 or 4 of the regular season and he could really take off from there

NO - Cutting RB Reggie Bush will save a ton

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune - Jeff Duncan

The New Orleans Saints will create another $12 million of salary cap space by releasing RB Reggie Bush once the NFL lockout is lifted.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Bush is going to have to restructure or take his walking papers. The question is whether another team will pay him more than the four million of dead cap space he would represent for the Saints. We're guessing yes, but it'll be the last time a team sticks their neck out financially to add Bush.

Doesn't mean they will do it.. they may restructure his contract for quite a bit less... but either way like stated above I really don't think the saints would have traded up that high in the draft to get him if they didn't figure him to be a big part of their game plan and Reggie Bush's possible departure... they need a guy that can get those goal line TD's to maximize the effectiveness/balance of their offense.. he could have a great year

The biggest thing I think holding his value back is the lock out.. getting those reps in... and learning the system in a short period of time.. I think best case scenario IF Bush leaves... we could start to see Ingram really become a part of their game plan around week 3 or 4 of the regular season and he could really take off from there

Read between the lines. Sure New Orleans wants him back. Of course they do. Problem is they want him back at a fraction of what he's owed. And sure Reggie wants to stay in NO, why wouldn't he? But there's a reason why he tweeted "It's been fun New Orleans" after Ingram was drafted. He's dumb for tweeting it, but smart enough to see the writing on the wall.

Ingram will definatly contribute, but Ivory and Thomas are not going away. Pierre is somewhat of a question Mark, but Ivory will be a big factor in my opinion. RBBC all the way.

I kind of hope this is the feeling for fantasy gurus and drafters alike until the season starts. It means I'll get him at a discount if he ends up being "The Guy".

Read between the lines. Sure New Orleans wants him back. Of course they do. Problem is they want him back at a fraction of what he's owed. And sure Reggie wants to stay in NO, why wouldn't he? But there's a reason why he tweeted "It's been fun New Orleans" after Ingram was drafted. He's dumb for tweeting it, but smart enough to see the writing on the wall.

you just like to argue... i agree Mark Ingram will have a great year, as far as how much of a part of their offense he is this year, i think pre-season will give us the best hint, as well as what happens with Bush, which I think he will most likely be let go as well...

RBBC, even without Bush. But I do like him in dynasty leagues because I think he could become the primary ballcarrier after next season.

:shocking: Wow, so you're kind of a believer then?

Very much so. I think over the past several years. Guys like Greene and Mathews were drafted #1 because of lack of the clear cut number 1 consensus. I think they were tied with every other back in the draft. Then for dynasty purposes, their situation propelled them to the #1 pick.

I believe Ingram is the clear cut #1 back, based on his ability and desire alone. The team that drafted him being pretty darn good was just icing on the cake.

Like I said in my first post. Will he be a stud? Who knows, and the probability that he will be is a mountain that he definitely has to climb.

I don't think he is any where's the player AD is. But for draft purposes, and fantasy value. I think he's definitely the best RB to hit our market since AD.

I'm guessing: 220 carries, 1034 yards, 35 receptions for 210 yards, 12 total TD's. <Solid #2 RB numbers>

Those are nearly 1st round type of numbers IMO. If you like him take him late 2nd or early 3rd and don't look back.

My next two live drafts are here in Alabama - he's going waaaaay early I do predict. That being said, I don't imagine him making it much past the early 3rd ESPECIALLY IF BUSH IS CUT. If Bush stays, he might fall a little further. N.O. traded up in the first round to get him. They love this guy and will play him often for several years to come. Who cares if you have to reach for him if you like him :cheers:

Memo to self...remember the Ryan Mathews fiasco - do not draft rookie RB in first 2 rounds :wall:

I don't think Bush's status with the team really affects Ingram's value at all this year -- mostly because the two RBs would have completely different roles in this offense. That is, Bush's predominant value comes as a receiving threat in passing situations and "trick" plays, whereas Ingram's predominant value would be on early downs and near the goalline. If anything, Ingram's role this year will be contingent upon Pierre Thomas; and I think the Saints' trading-up for Ingram is an indication that the organization doesn't believe Thomas can stay healthy for an entire season.

As a Crimson Tide fan, I watched Ingram play a lot in college, and the guy is absolutely a legit NFL prospect. If anything, his falling draft-stock was the result of over-analysis and too much importance being placed on measurables. But when you watch the games, you see a natural runner with good skills across the board, an excellent work-ethic, and amazing vision. Basically, I believe this to be a case in which scouts scrutinized to such a degree that they essentially convinced themselves they didn't like a good player -- which we know happens from time-to-time.

:dunno:

Memo to self...remember the Ryan Mathews fiasco - do not draft rookie RB in first 2 rounds :wall:

Mark Ingram > Ryan Matthews

don't confuse the two

Mark Ingram > Ryan Matthews

don't confuse the two

While I agree, with you, the Matthews post brings up a good point. It's probably not worth the risk to take him 2nd round. I want a guy who has proven he can do it at the NFL level and not a rookie at that point in the draft.

I do agree with the original poster though. Ingram is a 5th rounder now which seems way too low and I suspect he'll start moving up draft boards. He's a guy I would target in the 4th round. It's all about value though, if he rises up into the 3rd round, I'm out and will go with other options, but I'd be pretty happy getting Ingram in the 4th or 5th as my 2nd RB.

He 100% does not have break away speed - this will be obvious - but they say his first 10 yards are awesome...

This guy reminds me so much of Emmitt Smith its not even funny....very elusive, deceivingly hard to tackle, doesn't have that breakaway speed but don't underestimate him.. great in the redzone, can catch when needed too..even wears number 22, and they are both 5'9" and 215lbs too!....i see the Saints splitting the carries between Ingram and Thomas the first 3-4 games.. and than watch Ingram take off after they realize how much better than Pierre he is.. and Pierre may be used for 3rd downs solely after that... I think after reading about how much trouble it would be to keep Bush.. I think he is out of the picture there, and like others have said he would have only been in on passing plays anyways... i really can't see Ivory as a factor at all this year

here is Emmitt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPpR5T04IpI&feature=related

Emmitt Smith had 241 carries for 937yds, 11tds, 24 receptions, 224yds receiving in his rookie campaign

with the offensive system that Mark Ingram is in.. I definitely think he can "dance with the stars" so to speak

Thanks. Seems like a great fit for the saints system.

Anyone know what the best rb rookie season statline over say the past 5 years has been?

But the fact is, he has been productive.

in the NFL?

I don't doubt his potential but I think hes going right about where he should be and I have a feeling he will be going too high once the NFL works itself out and people start waking up for FF.

He got drafted into a bad fantasy situation plain and simple.

When do RB's get 200 carries under Sean Payton?

Plus you throw in the lockout and I don't see big things for him this year.

Obviously i'm buying in a dynasty but in a redraft, i'll let someone else reach.

1. I think that Bush is gone. But even if he comes back, maybe the saints will, having three real backs, use bush the way he should be used... as a kick and punt returner and a slot receiver.

2. They didn't trade those draft picks to have a timeshare with Ivory and Thomas. I'd say he may start off slow, but by season's end, he'll be the bell cow.

I've been getting him as my RB 3 or even four in 8 team mocks. I love the value there.

But I'm sure he will shine enough in preseason to drive his value up by season's beginning.

departure of reggie bush bumps lance moore's value more than anyone else, he can now play exclusively out of the slot and be on the field more..while i think ingram is the most talented back on that roster, pierre and chris ivory will both get carries too.. i think ingram is a rb3 in 10 team leagues this year (both pierre and ivory are valuable in the red zone so i doubt he'll vulture td's), but with low end rb1 upside in a keeper leagues

in the NFL?

I don't doubt his potential but I think hes going right about where he should be and I have a feeling he will be going too high once the NFL works itself out and people start waking up for FF.

He got drafted into a bad fantasy situation plain and simple.

When do RB's get 200 carries under Sean Payton?

Plus you throw in the lockout and I don't see big things for him this year.

Obviously i'm buying in a dynasty but in a redraft, i'll let someone else reach.

Why would you buy him in a dynasty? Are you expecting Sean Payton to be fired? Or would you plan on selling Ingram after his rookie year?

Why would you buy him in a dynasty? Are you expecting Sean Payton to be fired? Or would you plan on selling Ingram after his rookie year?

I'm buying him in a dynasty because i'm only drafting rookies and free agent fodder. Plus, this years rookie class is rather poor, imo and I do recognize Ingram's talent.

The value would be right

And I could always hope that after some time seeing Ingram, Payton would feature him as much as possible in future seasons. :dunno: wishful thinking

Buyer Beware.

Rookie riskiness aside, Sean Payton is a maddening RBBC mofo.

I'm buying him in a dynasty because i'm only drafting rookies and free agent fodder. Plus, this years rookie class is rather poor, imo and I do recognize Ingram's talent.

The value would be right

And I could always hope that after some time seeing Ingram, Payton would feature him as much as possible in future seasons. :dunno: wishful thinking

I guess I don't understand. If you don't think Payton will give talented backs, who are deserving, 200+ carries, I still don't understand why you would draft him..... The value would be right? He'll cost most likely the #1 overall pick in dynasty drafts. If you don't feel strongly about him, why wouldn't you trade that pick/him away? I'm sure someone would pay a nice price for him. Surely there are other spots in the draft where you feel there is more value, or if not that, there other players in the league to trade for where there is more value at Ingrams perceived value by some in your league....

Also, the only other time the Saints drafted a runningback in rd 1 of the draft during Sean Payton's tenure, Sean featured the guy in the offense finding ways to get him the ball 200+ times both his rookie and second year (and that was not a workhorse player). I think if the kid is good, and helps Payton win, he'll give him the rock. And if you don't think he can hold up with 200+ carries, then you shouldn't waste that "value" by drafting him.

just my 0.02

...but I do agree, the RB situation in New Orleans does look a little muddy at the moment, with a bunch of questions. I guess that's where "reading the tea leaves" comes into play.

I guess you could always use the #1 in a dynasty draft to pick AJ 'Ice Cold' Green. :dunno:

This guy reminds me so much of Emmitt Smith its not even funny....very elusive, deceivingly hard to tackle, doesn't have that breakaway speed but don't underestimate him.. great in the redzone, can catch when needed too..even wears number 22, and they are both 5'9" and 215lbs too!....i see the Saints splitting the carries between Ingram and Thomas the first 3-4 games.. and than watch Ingram take off after they realize how much better than Pierre he is.. and Pierre may be used for 3rd downs solely after that... I think after reading about how much trouble it would be to keep Bush.. I think he is out of the picture there, and like others have said he would have only been in on passing plays anyways... i really can't see Ivory as a factor at all this year

here is Emmitt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPpR5T04IpI&feature=related

Emmitt Smith had 241 carries for 937yds, 11tds, 24 receptions, 224yds receiving in his rookie campaign

with the offensive system that Mark Ingram is in.. I definitely think he can "dance with the stars" so to speak

I totally agree on this one. When I watched him at Alabama I could see Emmitt all over. Emmitt was definitly more talented, but Ingram seems to have what made Emmitt great, heart and desire. This is what will make him a solid rb for years to come. I don't know if he'll ever be a fantasy star or not, but I think he'll get 15 or so carries a game for the next eight years!

I'm not a big fan of his, but I love his attitude and work ethic...top notch!

I guess I don't understand. If you don't think Payton will give talented backs, who are deserving, 200+ carries, I still don't understand why you would draft him..... The value would be right? He'll cost most likely the #1 overall pick in dynasty drafts. If you don't feel strongly about him, why wouldn't you trade that pick/him away? I'm sure someone would pay a nice price for him. Surely there are other spots in the draft where you feel there is more value, or if not that, there other players in the league to trade for where there is more value at Ingrams perceived value by some in your league....

Also, the only other time the Saints drafted a runningback in rd 1 of the draft during Sean Payton's tenure, Sean featured the guy in the offense finding ways to get him the ball 200+ times both his rookie and second year (and that was not a workhorse player). I think if the kid is good, and helps Payton win, he'll give him the rock. And if you don't think he can hold up with 200+ carries, then you shouldn't waste that "value" by drafting him.

just my 0.02

it seems pretty simple, at least in my head :lol:

People are talking about Ingram as a 5th rounder in redrafts and I think that is terrible value for a rookie back, in a lockout year, in a historically bad system for fantasy purposes. I don't want to pay that price tag for a player I don't think gets 200 carries this year.

But in a Dynasty, it's round 15+ and at that point, ofcourse he has value. I NEVER said I would take him over certain other rookies. I just said I could see myself buying. In a dynasty league, you are buying for the future. I already said I acknowledge Ingram's skill. So I would draft him hoping that he shows he can handle things and Payton continue to increase his workload.

Maybe Sean Payton has just never felt he had a true workhorse back and maybe Ingram will prove to be that at some point.... But no way he starts out as one so no way is he worth a 5th rounder in a redraft.

1. Peyton would not have traded the picks he did to get 1/3 of a RBBC.

2. Ingram catches the ball out of the backfield very well. He has great value in a PPR.

I think it doesn't change much from the consensus of most people's post on this topic... Ingram/Thomas will split the carries... I think the Saints knew they were going to trade Bush before they ever drafted Ingram... I see his rookie numbers looking something like this...

241 carries for 975yds, 10+tds, 25 receptions, 200+yds

1200 total yards, 25 receptions, and around 10tds.. i think are realistic numbers in those offense.. especially if Peyton runs the ball with the same balance they did in 2009 when they won the Super Bowl

My problem is, how much better is he than Chris Ivory. Ivory always impressed.

I also like PT.

He's a good pick for NO, but its a terrible fantasy situation. Plus, pretty sure they like to throw. Throwing offense + RBBC = maddening year.

1. Peyton would not have traded the picks he did to get 1/3 of a RBBC.

2. Ingram catches the ball out of the backfield very well. He has great value in a PPR.

Peyton doesnt play fantasy football so having 3 RBs which you can create different offensive packages with is a problem most coaches in the league would want.

I'm drafting Ivory in rhe last round as HE is the best talent at RB they got. IMO

Peyton doesnt play fantasy football so having 3 RBs which you can create different offensive packages with is a problem most coaches in the league would want.

I'm drafting Ivory in rhe last round as HE is the best talent at RB they got. IMO

I'm taking Ivory too...but I don't think he's gonna last til the last round. He's a value no matter where you get him though, because it will be late.

Plus, we know Payton loves Ivory. The NO fans love Ivory. He lead the league in broken tackles per carries last year which I just saw in the Blount thread.

I hope Ivory stays off the radar of my league.

Right. 3 RB's for different offensive packages. Pierre for 3rd down and other obvious passing downs, Ivory to be a back up, and Ingram to get everything else.

Ivory is a great pick in the last round. Fanastic insurance for Ingram.

Right. 3 RB's for different offensive packages. Pierre for 3rd down and other obvious passing downs, Ivory to be a back up, and Ingram to get everything else.

Ivory is a great pick in the last round. Fanastic insurance for Ingram.

In a perfect fantasy world. The scary thing is, Ivory was pretty good last year. They kind of want to get him the ball too.

What does Ingram bring to the table that Ivory didn't? Ingram isn't a burner either. Isn't Ivory a good Goal line RB too? What if he gets the goal line duty?

Its all the kind of fantasy situation you want to avoid. The best pick is the one with the least risk of hurting you in this situation. Everyone will take Ingram earlier than his real value in my opinion.

In a perfect fantasy world. The scary thing is, Ivory was pretty good last year. They kind of want to get him the ball too.

What does Ingram bring to the table that Ivory didn't? Ingram isn't a burner either. Isn't Ivory a good Goal line RB too? What if he gets the goal line duty?

Its all the kind of fantasy situation you want to avoid. The best pick is the one with the least risk of hurting you in this situation. Everyone will take Ingram earlier than his real value in my opinion.

Ingram brings a total game. Payton's not limited in his play calling with Ingram on the field. He can run between the tackles very effectively, he was an outstanding goal line RB in college, he can take a draw, he can run around the end, he can catch a screen or be Brees' outlet, and he can block a blitzing CB or LB. He gets compared to Emmitt Smith because of his all around ability. There's something to be said for that kind of versatility and I'm guessing Payton will love that he doesn't always need to worry about getting Pierre or Ivory in there for special package plays on every down.