Sign in to follow this  
Face Down in the Pavement

U-n-d-e-r-RATED

Let's discuss the most underrated at each position (QB, WR, RB - ADP round 6 or lower):

QB: Kevin Kolb

He's in a passing system, pocket QB, a few huge weapons, minimal running game, and no real backup challenging him. With an improving Cardinals team, he may be a good pick.

WR: Mike Sims-Walker

Seven and seven TD's in the last two years in a crappy offense. And now he's in a much better system.

RB: Benjarvus Green-Ellis

High powered offense. No great backup (Woodhead probably won't duplicate last year, and NE staff shys from rookie play). Bulldog in the endzone.

Let's discuss the most underrated at each position (QB, WR, RB - ADP round 6 or lower):

He's in a passing system, pocket QB, a few huge weapons, minimal running game, and no real backup challenging him. With an improving Cardinals team, he may be a good pick.

Seven and seven TD's in the last two years in a crappy offense. And now he's in a much better system.

High powered offense. No great backup (Woodhead probably won't duplicate last year, and NE staff shys from rookie play). Bulldog in the endzone.

Kolb, not really underrated, hes overrated imo

Sims Walker, may be 2nd option may be 4th meh

BJGE, Guess thats why the Pats drafted Ridley, who is a much better back and is an everydown type of guy. So you saying no good backup, means you really dont know anything about the Pats

QB - Kevin Kolb

Same Reasons as above.

WR - Santana Moss

I think this offense will find a way to move the ball decently and i could see Santana and Grossman having a nice connection. I don't see a repeat or better of last years numbers being unrealistic.

RB - Marshawn Lynch

This guy still has the talent and Seattle looks like they'll stress the run game. He's a young running back who runs hard and breaks tackles but is being underrated because of the recent bad fantasy seasons of himself along with Seahawks running backs.

TE - Visanthe Shiancoe

McNabb has always loved his tight ends and Shiancoe is a big athletic guy in the middle of the field. With Rice gone that makes Shiancoe the top red zone threat and possibly the second leading receiver on the team.

BJGE, Guess thats why the Pats drafted Ridley, who is a much better back and is an everydown type of guy. So you saying no good backup, means you really dont know anything about the Pats

I don't take Ridley's being drafted as a knock on BJGE. BJGE has done exactly what Hoodie has asked of him. He runs hard every time he touches the ball, he doesn't fumble EVAH, and he's a low-key type of guy that does his job day in and day out.

I look at the Ridley pick as a situation where the Pats liked his value there, and it gave Hoodie a solid back to compliment BJGE. We all know Hoodie likes to use multiple backs to give him options, protect him from injury concerns, keep his backs from wearing down, etc.

QB - Mathew Stafford

He'll be a steal for someone if he stays healthy.

RB - Blount

He might punch you in the face in front of your wife and kids.

WR -

Victor Cruz

Check this out, from a preseason game last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFEuwM2yWs8

Prolly get him in the last round.

He's clearly made an impact. Was on IR last year for a hammy. Not like an ACL or anything. I think the fact that they let Smith go says a lot about the remaining WRs. Nicks, Manningham, Cruz ... I don't think there's any doubt he's the #3 WR there, but he has a lot of upside.

Eli Manning - very consistant the last few years; 2 great wideouts; will be in a few shootouts.

Tim Hightower - Not sure if underrated is the word here, but if he can control the fumbles and keep Shanny's confidence (BIG if) he could be fantasy gold.

Lance Moore - ADP starting to rise. Colston is a shell of his former self and Moore will pick up much of his load when Colston has to sit. Also, is used

often in R. Bush's role (will be minimized with addition of Sproles). 70 - 1100 - 10 is not out of the question.

QB:

Romo, his ADP is over a round lower than any of the 6 ahead of him.

Big Ben

RB:

Hillis :ninja:

Deangelo, a lot of talent there being picked as about the 20th RB off the board.

Starks, more explosive than Grant.

WR:

Dez Bryant

Harvin

Garcon

James Jones

QB - Matthew Stafford - DET is on the rise and that offense will air it out. They were near the top of the league in passing attempts last year and now that LeShoure is down I'm sure they'll use the air to punch in most of their TD's as well.

RB - Fred Jackson - He's the lead back that catches passes and get goal lines. He's not ADP but he's not a bum either. Spiller is not going to take carries from Fred Jackson.

WR - MSW - He should be the starting X in that offense. The contract, lack of any flash from other receivers and Clayton not really healthy enough to sign a contract - MSW will be there on opening day running the Brandon Lloyd route tree in the Josh McDaniels offense. Now if the golden boy will start to stretch the field rather than check everything down MSW has a chance to be very good this year.

QB - Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan (I believe he's a steal for his ADP and what he might do this year)

RB - Felix Jones and Shonn Greene

WR - Lance Moore as somebody mentioned earlier - and I'm keeping a close eye on this Oakland fella :ninja:

I would call all of those overrated. Someone else can take Kolb early, MSW's ADP is going up and he can't stay healthy, BGE is in a clustered backfield.

QB: Roeth or Eli

RB: F.Jackson or Felix Jones

WR: L.Moore

TE: K.Boss

-Ben Roethlisberger was the #4 QB last year in terms of points per game. He's currently the 10th QB off the board on average.

-Mike Tolbert is probably the biggest value in the draft, with an ADP of 82.4 (RB33).

-Lots of value picks at WR, but the hate on Santana Moss has gone too far. Being drafted at pick 87 (WR34), and he finished last year as WR16 (11th in PPR). The downgrade from McNabb to Grossman really isn't that big.

The picks of the opening post are ridiculous though. Kolb, MSW & the Law Firm are players whose stock is CLEARLY trending down.

I would call all of those overrated. Someone else can take Kolb early, MSW's ADP is going up and he can't stay healthy, BGE is in a clustered backfield.

QB: Roeth or Eli

RB: F.Jackson or Felix Jones

WR: L.Moore

TE: K.Boss

Danny Woodhead, Kevin Faulk, and a couple of mid level rookies is a clustered backfield? Come on, that's pretty stupid.

Matt Stafford will put up huge numbers this year.

:thumbsup:

RB - LeSean McCoy will be a top 5 back.

WR - Going real deep, I think Desmon Briscoe from TB could be in the top 25.

QB

Romo- Has the potential to be the top QB any given week.

RB

Mark Ingram- Will set the NFL on fire this year and be a first rounder next year.

WR

Santana Moss- Still got some left in the tank and will have another 1000 yard season.

-Ben Roethlisberger was the #4 QB last year in terms of points per game. He's currently the 10th QB off the board on average.

-Mike Tolbert is probably the biggest value in the draft, with an ADP of 82.4 (RB33).

-Lots of value picks at WR, but the hate on Santana Moss has gone too far. Being drafted at pick 87 (WR34), and he finished last year as WR16 (11th in PPR). The downgrade from McNabb to Grossman really isn't that big.

The picks of the opening post are ridiculous though. Kolb, MSW & the Law Firm are players whose stock is CLEARLY trending down.

I 2nd the Mike Tolbert reply, he will get the goalline work and Mathews seems a bust so far.

QB=Rothelsberger I have gotten him consistently in the 7th and 8th and if he wasnt suspended for 4 games were talking top 4000yds and 22TDS, thats pretty comparable to the top guys.

RB=Lynch he is consistently the last #1RB taken in all the drafts I have seen, 6th/7th round. They are going to run the ball alot, as long as he holds up 1200yds/50recpt 300yds is easily doable.

WR=Amendola in ppr he matches Welkers numbers and goes from 2 to 5 rounds later.

WR=Lance Moore, Colston is having problems and it is looking moore and moore like Moore is going into the season as the #1WR, considering he can be had usually in the 10th or later (probably not anymore) he is going to way outperform that ADP.

From the guy who drafted Arian Foster, Jermichael Finley and Darren McFadden last year...I say...

RB Ryan Mathews - 6th round? The biggest mistake people make is basing their rankings not on TALENT or TEAM, but on how they did last year.

TE Kellen Winslow - Few TEs have his talent. He's feeling good and his team is getting better and better.

QB Donovan McNabb - Not a starter, but I've seen this guy ranked down around 3rd string QBs. He'll have a solid year in Minnesota.

WR Steve Smith - ESPN has him as the 30th ranked WR. Cam Newton will be starting before long. They'll move the ball. Smith will benefit.

QB - Cam Newton = rushing yards. NFC south is riddled with average defenses, too.

RB - Ronnie Brown - See LT, or Thomas Jones.

WR - Mike Thomas, someone will catch the ball in Jax.

WR - Roy Williams, already made my long-winded case. WR2 numbers that may still be available after the 10th round.

TE - Olsen, especially in PPR.

QB - Matt Ryan...More weapons, improving offense, will throw the ball more this year. Good QBBC pick.

RB - Joseph Addai. Nobody is talking any Colts at all. When he's healthy he produces and at 30th rb off the board worth the risk.

Denagelo Williams. Run Carolina. Run. It will be a theme. 4th to 5th rd as a borderline rb3, he may finish as rb2.

WR - Steve Johnson. Lee Evans gone, terrible defense, he should finish as a top 10 rec and maybe...gasp :shocking: ...top 5

QB - Matt Ryan...More weapons, improving offense, will throw the ball more this year. Good QBBC pick.

He's the 9th QB off the board in round 6. Last year he was 13th in fantasy points per game (14th if you count Romo). He'd have to improve up to top 5 to significantly outperform his ADP... I don't think Julio Jones causes that sort of improvement. He's the opposite of a value pick. His price has tons of improvement already baked in.

I'd rather have Roethlisberger a full round later (or Stafford's upside) when he's been a better QB for his career than Ryan.

He's the 9th QB off the board in round 6. Last year he was 13th in fantasy points per game (14th if you count Romo). He'd have to improve up to top 5 to significantly outperform his ADP... I don't think Julio Jones causes that sort of improvement. He's the opposite of a value pick. His price has tons of improvement already baked in.

I'd rather have Roethlisberger a full round later (or Stafford's upside) when he's been a better QB for his career than Ryan.

In a ten team league, his ADP is 10th off the board at ADP of 8.02. Its neither here no there because him and Roth are virtually identical draft positions. Whats wrong with a rb,rb,wr,wr,rb,te,wr, Ryan, Roth,etc board? Like I said QBBC !

Its neither here no there because him and Roth are virtually identical draft positions.

Yes, but Roethlisberger outproduced Ryan. 21.5 vs. 19.3 fantasy points per game.

With Ryan, you're getting QB14 production at a QB9 price. That's the opposite of under rated, its OVER rated. The thread is about UNDER rated players.

The person's rating is his average draft position. Its how the public perceives a player's worth. The public perceives Matt Ryan to be better than he is, because he's a better real life QB than he is a fantasy QB.

Duh?

So yeah, in a thread titled "U-n-d-e-r-RATED" maybe an over rated player is here or there.

Danny Woodhead, Kevin Faulk, and a couple of mid level rookies is a clustered backfield? Come on, that's pretty stupid.

I guess it depends on your definition of "mid-level."

Vereen was the 3rd RB drafted this year, behind only Ingram and Ryan Williams.

Ridley didn't go long after him, as the 9th pick of the 3rd round.

In my opinion, 2nd and early 3rd round picks are pretty valuable. Teams don't normally draft guys that early that they aren't planning on using pretty early in their careers. It is entirely reasonable to think that at least one of the 2 will get a good amount of touches this season, which would clearly hurt BJGE's status. I actually own BJGE in one dynasty league, but I still think his value is pretty low. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he isn't even fantasy relevant this season.

As for late round guys I like:

QB-Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman and Sam Bradford are all guys who can be had 6th round or later who have good chances of putting up top 8 QB #s. I don't see many scenarios in which Kolb is even a top 12 guy so I don't like him as underrated. I mean, if underrated means you think he could finish 14th instead of 18th, then sure. But at QB in a normal 12 team league, if he's not top 12 or better, what's the point?

RB-Ced Benson would be my pick in standard scoring. He'll get close to 300 carries and the Bengals OL is shaping up to be a solid run blocking unit. In PPR, I like Reggie Bush as a nice sleeper. He's averaged 5 catches per game in his career and should get that in Miami. Over a season, that's 80 catches...pretty easy to start doing the math: 500 yards rushing, 80 catches for 700 yards. 5 or 6 TDs. That's a 230 point season.

WR- I like both Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford as sleepers in Oakland. They should be #1 and 2 in some order. Ideally, you grab both late and one of them emerges as a nice every week fantasy starter. I'd look at the same thing in New Orleans with Lance Moore and Robert Meachem. I don't think Colston's knee is right, so there's a good chance one of those 2 guys emerges as Brees' #1 target, which would make them a steal where they're currently being drafted. I also like AJ Green. The Bengals are going to target him a ton on all different sorts of routes. I see him ending up with 80 catches, 1000 yards and at least 6 TDs.

QB - Sam Bradford - there are so many QBs that could be here but i think bradford will outperform his adp by a LOT. i love that he's in a josh mcdaniels system, i love that he has a good o-line, i love that he has a top RB who's also a tremendous pass catcher, and i love that he has about 6 different receiver that he can throw to. there's a small chance that he could have a sophomore slump, but at his ADP you can afford it.

RB - Felix the cat AKA Felix Jones - he's the MAIN guy in what should be an explosive dallas offense. here's the best part ... he's super explosive himself! every time he's been on the field and gotten touches he's been amazingly productive for dallas. the problem is that he's probably been OFF the field more than he's been on it. he's a major injury risk and i highly doubt that he can play a full 16 games, but if you hadcuff him with whoever wins the backup job (murray or choice) then you should be good with 16 games out of the dallas backfield. the thing with felix is that Jerry Jones undoubtedly wants to give him a chance and prove that he made the right pick. felix certainly has the talent, i would definitely roll the dice.

WR - Kenny Britt - i'm not sure about his suspension situation... has anybody heard anything about this? has the nfl said anything either way as to whether or not he will be suspended? if not, i think he is a tremendous value. he's going with the likes of sidney rice and santana moss. i think he can easily be a WR2 or even WR1 if he stays on the field for 16 games. his QB situation this year is much better than last no matter if hass or locker is starting at qb. him and cook are the only threats on that offense and you can be sure they will be seeing a lot of targets when the titans go to the air. i have a feeling play action works well when you have CJ in the backfield ;)

- special mention to Mike Thomas here. he's easily going to outperform his adp this year too. he became garrard's favorite target down the stretch last year even when MSW was on the field. this year, he's the only and i mean ONLY option in the passing game as far as receivers are concerned. he will be more valuable in ppr though as i don't think jacksonville will be in position to score too many td's.

QB - I like both "Fords" (Stan & Brad). Both could flirt with the top 10 area IF healthy. (8-12 range).

RB - Williams in Arz. could end up being a decent #2 RB starter on bye weeks & injury fill ins. We've seen what Wells is made of & I'm not sold. Even if Beanie can stay healthy, I think he looses carrys & goaline too.

WR - MSW. He'll play a solid role this year in StL. He has enough around him to take a little pressure off in SJax & Amendola. We waited forever for him to break out & when he did, he got a big head & a bigger attitude. He found himself cut & looking for work. Not too many were lining up to sign him. He took a 1 year deal & now has something to prove. And of course he'll be looking for more money & a longer contract. Money & pride = Big Motivation.

Josh Freeman is criminally underrated. He should be mentioned with the elites, and is not.

WR is wide open. Steve Johnson is so underrated, I have to mention Buffalo before people know who he is.

The most underrated of them all is CB Brandon Flowers. With Asamogha in the NFC he is the best CB in the Conference.

J

i agree that kolb is not underrated but i also dont think hes overrated. Hes going off as a top 5-6 BACKUP in fantasy drafts. Seems about right for a guy throwing to Fitz and Heap in a weak division.

agree with Sims Walker. No thanks. You can get Alexander later and he is far more talented.

to be fair, neither of the 2 rookies has shown anything in the NFL and BJGE is coming off a nice year. I think its clear BJGE is not their prefered choice for the future but Im willing to bet he has the best year of all NE RB's in 2011.

QB - I like both "Fords" (Stan & Brad). Both could flirt with the top 10 area IF healthy. (8-12 range).

Staff?

Josh Freeman is criminally underrated. He should be mentioned with the elites, and is not.

WR is wide open. Steve Johnson is so underrated, I have to mention Buffalo before people know who he is.

The most underrated of them all is CB Brandon Flowers. With Asamogha in the NFC he is the best CB in the Conference.

J

Freeman is rated fine. 1 good half of fantasy does not vault him to elite status. He is a rushing threat and plays in a weak division but i still dont entirely trust the Bucs offense with sophomores at RB and WR1. Im not saying he is a bust or overrated but lets not annoint him elite just yet.

totally agree on Steve Johnson and i think it was very telling that buffalo was willing to ship out lee evans

Freeman is rated fine. 1 good half of fantasy does not vault him to elite status. He is a rushing threat and plays in a weak division but i still dont entirely trust the Bucs offense with sophomores at RB and WR1. Im not saying he is a bust or overrated but lets not annoint him elite just yet.

totally agree on Steve Johnson and i think it was very telling that buffalo was willing to ship out lee evans

On Johnson, :cheers:

I agree that 1 good fantasy half does not a QB make. What that has to do with Freeman is an open question. He finished 7th for the whole year, without a rushing TD. He was ahead ahead of Schaub, Eli and Ryan in the top 10. However, it is a critical to plot on a learning curve. He did this as a 2nd year QB, in a developing offense. As a thrower, he ranks top 10. Add the rushing and he's a second tier QB, at a 4th tier price.

I forgot RB. Knowshon Moreno. He is probably not as late as 6th round, but his upside, with the new ball control mentality, is enormous.

J

My 2nd pick before tonight and now my top pick for the underrated running back is Reggie Bush. Grabbed him in the 7th round and am very happy I did. I think he'll get 50%-80% of the carries and a whole lot of catches. The guy still can break huge plays with his talent even if he hasn't had as many as hoped so far in his career. I think he might be about to explode on us into the star he looked like in college. The dude is still pretty strong and bigger than say Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson who are also nowhere near the receiver that he is. I think this special of a talent has the chance to be an elite fantasy player and worth risking a pick that late on.

Underrated:

QB: Josh Freeman

breakout year ahead. Extra fantasy value by virtue of his running

WR: Santonio Holmes

Unequivocal #1 on Jets. Should come close to +75% over last year's production

RB: LeGarrette Blount

Will carry the load and lots of it in Tampa, including goal line. Next best on the team is Earnest Graham. Enough said

From the guy who drafted Arian Foster, Jermichael Finley and Darren McFadden last year...I say...

RB Ryan Mathews - 6th round? The biggest mistake people make is basing their rankings not on TALENT or TEAM, but on how they did last year.

TE Kellen Winslow - Few TEs have his talent. He's feeling good and his team is getting better and better.

QB Donovan McNabb - Not a starter, but I've seen this guy ranked down around 3rd string QBs. He'll have a solid year in Minnesota.

WR Steve Smith - ESPN has him as the 30th ranked WR. Cam Newton will be starting before long. They'll move the ball. Smith will benefit.

You've convinced me. You're right on why I don't like Ryan Mathews. It is/was because of last year.

QB - Eli Manning

RB - BJGE -- He will continue to get the majority of carries as long as he doesn't fumble. He does everything his team asks of him, whats to replace? Vareen was supposed to be the big RB draft pick of theirs, but now Ridley is all we talk about. My money is on BJGE getting 10+ TD again and 1000 yards.

WR - Jeremy Maclin

There is a reason BJGE got his contract, there is a reason why he IS the goal line back, there is a reason why Belichek trusts him.....he doesnt fumble. Easily will get at least 10td's, how many other 6th round RB's can you say that about? Of course there are a stable full of backs, thats the Patriots way, but so is giving the ball to proven players who do their job. He is definitely not sexy, but his is underrated. Thats just my opinion of course, as a Pats fan.

In my opinion, 2nd and early 3rd round picks are pretty valuable. Teams don't normally draft guys that early that they aren't planning on using pretty early in their careers. It is entirely reasonable to think that at least one of the 2 will get a good amount of touches this season, which would clearly hurt BJGE's status. I actually own BJGE in one dynasty league, but I still think his value is pretty low. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he isn't even fantasy relevant this season.

I agree... but the Pats are different. It seems like they pretty much get BPA, no matter what. That's evident in the Mallet pick.

On the other hand, I do like BJGE, but having two talented backs playing behind him worries me. Especially since Riddley has had an awesome pre-season so far.