Sign in to follow this  
Apollo Creed

Mendenhall: Can I take him #1

I think he has a monster year... Gets the tds... Good defense, they run the ball.

Balt. Bad

Seattle great

Indy great

Houston good

Tennesse great

Jax great

Arz great

NE bad

Balt bad

Cinci great

KC great

Clev good

Sf great

Stl great

^ his consistency will be very very good thia year... I lile him.. Cant get rid of this first pick

How conducive is your league to trading? You should be able to easily trade AP for Mendenhall + another player

Ya I would try and guage who someone in your league covets (most likely AP but could be rice or charles). And try and make a trade. I'm a steelers homer and Mendenhall's fantasy production dropped significantly when Big Ben came back. With the way the passing game is looking I expect a lot of throwing from the Steelers. Mendenhall is still a top fantasy back and I have him around 7, but definitly not #1.

How conducive is your league to trading? You should be able to easily trade AP for Mendenhall + another player

:thumbsup:

I have an uncommon take on this, but I have a couple of rules that I believe in when drafting that address this:

1 - If you want the guy and he's not going to be there the next time you pick taking him now isn't a reach.

2 - It's your team, no one elses. Pick who YOUR player is.

How many rankings had Foster as the #1 RB last year? How many had Vick as a top QB? How about Lloyd at WR? If you think Mendy is it, pull the trigger.

Amen to that. Just because you think Mendy could end #1 doesn't mean you should take him there. Preseason perception is worth more than your end of the year projections.

i'm high on him too...in fact, i'm at the #5 spot and i'm looking to trade down a few picks cause i think he'll be there at #8 and i figure i could get some decent compensation (talked yesterday to the guy at 8 and we were talking about swapping 1st, 2nd, and 4th rd'ers...). and that's what i'm able to do with the #5 pick...at #1, you should be able to get some good trade value...

or, if your league is not conducive to trading draft picks but they are for trading players, you can draft AP (since i'd assume his trade value would be #1) and trade for Mendenhall after the draft in exchange for an upgrade at another position...though by doing that, you risk the guy who drafts Mendenhall drafting other guys that you don't want...

or, if no trade is possible, i'd re-iterate what others have said: take the guy you want and have fun with it

I am going to kind of be in the same situation at 4. I don't want Charles based on schedule. Nor Foster based on hammy. If Rice, AP and CJ go 1-2-3.

I'm gonna either A: Take Charles in hopes someone is really high on him and trade him either right off the back or mid season B. Look at McCoy or Mendy. Likely McCoy.

I agree though. I LOVE Pitts schedule.

I hear you guys.. Problem is most people dont want AP this year for some reason or another... But good tips.. Probably draft AP and see if i can trade him for mendy and a player after week 1... When he has a so-so week vs baltimore...

I am alittle concern that pitt will throw more this year but i do like mendenhall this year.

Draft tonight.. #1 looks like AP... Trade for mendy+ for week 2... win another championship.

I am curious to see what mcnabb has left in the tank. He looked finished last year in washington... Which makes me not really wanna take AP this year. He'll likely get hurt and then what?.... You get screwed... Dont wanna pin my hopes on mcnabb. Id rather take the mend later.

Seeing as how the #1 overall ranked player rarely ends the season ranked #1, this isn't a reach or a bad call. Sure you may get some ###### from your league but i like the thinking. He won't be there in the 2nd and if you're high on him, do it. He has just as much of a chance at finishing #1 as AP.

Do you guys still like Mendy in a PPR league? I have the #9 pick in a 12-teamer, but nto really high on him in a PPR. If he last until my 2nd rd pick, then I may pull the trigger, but doubt he'll last.

The problem with AP is I see it is that the division, defensively, might just be the best in the league. 6 games against GB, Chicago and Detroit doesn't bode super well for AP imo.

AP will be top 5 but I see more things aligning for Rice to have that Arian Foster type season.

be very careful taking mendy first overall. some posters on here would think your draft pick would be vetoed and you will be forced to take AP anyway since owners shouldn't manager their own teams....

sorry, still bothered by the mindless posts of vetoing trades by commissioners high on their own power. not trying to highjack your post. carry on.

Mendy went pretty high in my league which sucked because he was at the top of my wish list for my 12th pick.

But like the other guys said, draft AP and trade him for Mendy and somebody else.

Pretty high on him and that schedule

No.

You draft ADP... wait a game (after mendy plays balt) then offer a trade... something like ADP for mendy + a decent WR... or ADP + average WR for mendy + good WR...

you aren't maximizing your resources if you draft mendy #1 overall

I have an uncommon take on this, but I have a couple of rules that I believe in when drafting that address this:

1 - If you want the guy and he's not going to be there the next time you pick taking him now isn't a reach.

This is how I draft. I ignore all lists and rankings. Determine what the perfect draft of 16 players based on their ADPs. Then I sketch up a plan to get as many of them as possible. You can't get them all, but you can get most. And it requires reaching.

Reaching has been given a bad name by the NFL draft. But moderate reaching in fantasy is how you win. If you believe in Mendy at the top, go for it. Because one thing we can pretty much say for certain: The top 10 scorers at the END of the year, will look nothing like the top 10 from your draft.

He had 410 touches last season, back him up with redman.

Great info I did not know this!

If it is a fixed snake draft just pick Peterson and as soon as the draft is over offer him up for Mendenhall, although the waiting till after he plays Baltimore is the smart way to go.

Great info I did not know this!

If it is a fixed snake draft just pick Peterson and as soon as the draft is over offer him up for Mendenhall, although the waiting till after he plays Baltimore is the smart way to go.

that AND you can probably get a little something extra, as most people will probably value ADP higher than mendenhall... so you could bulk up at another position

This is how I draft. I ignore all lists and rankings. Determine what the perfect draft of 16 players based on their ADPs. Then I sketch up a plan to get as many of them as possible. You can't get them all, but you can get most. And it requires reaching.

Reaching has been given a bad name by the NFL draft. But moderate reaching in fantasy is how you win. If you believe in Mendy at the top, go for it. Because one thing we can pretty much say for certain: The top 10 scorers at the END of the year, will look nothing like the top 10 from your draft.

I totaly see ur point and I advocate having ur own opinion and going after ur guys. But..ill break down why reaching is bad in a different way.

Reaching causes you to lose value the further down u go. i always used this as an example...if u saw into the future and knew for a fact that a certain backup/undraftable RB would blow up the league and lead all rushing yds and tds, would u take that guy w the top pick? No, you wouldnt, even tho u knew hed be the top player, it hurts you because u couldv taken AP and still gotten ur random guy much later, thus making ur team stronger.

Reaching is ok if its a round or so. but any later and you risk making ur next pick that much worse because u run out of reaches. you end up with 2 or 3 guys that u think are way under the radar and relying on backups the rest of the draft. If ur guy will be there for you in the next round, wait on him.

last year in my 12 man draft we had 1 guy who always has long arms and makes dumb picks. He took boldin in the first rnd pick 8 followed by flacco in the 2nd...It was one of only a few times in 7 yrs this guy has not had a winning year.

Well that's why I first asked if the league is conducive to trading. If not, then he may need to take Mendenhall there. But he should be able to easily get a mid-round WR like an Austin Collie or something in addition to Mendenhall for Peterson (or whoever he takes at #1). Those are the type of offers people usually make for top draft picks which are usually rejected, so if he's on the other end, unless the guy that drafts Mendenhall really loves him too, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I get the point about drafting who you want, but you also want to give yourself the best chance to win. If you make that trade you basically get Collie for free if Mendenhall is the guy you wanted all along. Worst case scenario is you're "stuck" with Peterson.

I like the idea of just drafting one of the big names and trading for Mendy later, but if you don't think you can trade for him, it makes sense to take him #1. Seems like a real easy trade to make, but if you can't even get someone to take something like a 1.01 and 17.01 for a 1.09 and 9.09 or something like that, you might not even be able to trade AP for Mendenhall and a WR3 or something.