Sign in to follow this  
ricanrockers

What would you do differently if you had your draft today?

I'm drafting tonight, wanted to maybe eliminate any errors someone else might have done during their draft. What would you do over?

Not taking Manning at #1 overall! :doh:

In my defense, there is a guy named GoColts in my league and I was sure I could trade Manning to him for his first 3 picks.

1) I would have snapped LeGarrette Blount up with my R2 pick (11th spot) and not assumed he would be there late in the 3rd - lost out in 2 leagues drafting 10th and 11th.

2) Would have waited to draft Jared Cooke later than round 10 - he could be had in both leagues in Rd 14 or 15.

3) Would have grabbed Starks in round 4 - 5 or so. I thought I could get him in the 6th or 7th and got foobed. :doh:

Avoid taking Vick or any QB in the first round, it messed up the one team I tried that on. Lots of good QB value late and gives you option of snagging Romo in 4th or Rivers/Brees if they slip too far. Heck Manning in the 5th/6th still feels like a steal considering what he could give you when he does play. I like Rothelesberger in the 7th but its a bit of a gamble if the other teams start snapping up QB's you will have to pick him in the 6th which feels too high.

I like to wait on TE this year, the position is deep, but if for some reason a preseason top 3 guy Gates/Witten/Finely slips to the 5th I would jump on them there (only happened in one league this year).

A lot more tangled RB situations in the middle rounds this year over last year. Have a clear idea of who you want, their ADP and whether or not you want to lock down a particular teams ground game. For example Matthews and Tolbert or Grant and Starks or do you just gamble on the younger upside player in these situations or target the team with a coach that has a history of riding a RB.

I play a lot of ppr but my favorite teams have all come about when I went RB/WR/RB from 3rd-6th position and RB/RB/RB from late 9-12 position. In PPR I am a believer in finding solid WR's in middle to late rounds and on WW but I do like having that elite WR to anchor my WR squad when possible.

It sounds stupid but I am becoming a fan of drafting earlier rather than later even with the injury risk. By now everyone knows what the proper ADP of players is within a round and there are fewer deals to be had. As an example I am a big fan of Ammendola this year and he could be had in the 11-12th in early august, the 10-11th by mid august and now 8-9th.

Get back with us in week 6; by then I'll realize how truly bad I focked the draft up.

I actually like your team in your signature. Pretty solid in all position.

Don't reach for a QB.

I had the second pick in a 12 team non-PPR league and drafted Ray Rice. I was targeting Mike Wallace at #23 in the 2nd round. He was drafted at #22. I panicked and took Drew Bress when there was still RB value to be had (MJD, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore). I ended up with Reggie Wayne in the 3rd round and played catch-up on RB and WR for the rest of the draft. I really planned on waiting for a QB this year(targeting Freeman and Stafford in the middle rounds) and taking Brees at #23 threw me off my game.

- Don't reach for my 3rd WR. Plenty of value in Britt/Manningham/Amendola in the 6th

- Get my RB situation straight. Too many shakey situations after the LeGarett Blount in the 4th.

- Wait on the 2nd TE. Plenty of late value with Heap, Zach Miller (SEA), Kendricks, Heap, Cook.

- Don't drink as much.

I actually like your team in your signature. Pretty solid in all position.

Appreciate that; I really do.

Last year I felt 10 feet tall and bulletproof after getting Ray Rice, Finley, Schaub and Best as targeted. By week 3 the cracks in the foundation started showing and then by week 6 I was worried about making the playoffs. Combined with the worst run of FF luck you could have I finished in 9th place (of 10). Each week my team faced the highest scoring team that week.

I don't know if I should have taken MJD with my 2nd round pick. I can't remember who else was available though. I also probably would take my QB sooner.

I had one draft on Monday and was really happy with how that turned out, so we'll go back to the keeper draft at the end of August. I think the two things I'd do differently are 1) grab a WR2 instead.of Vernon Davis, and 2) wait longer on my backup QB. I always tend to grab a backup in round 10 or so when the last guy in a given tier is a left, but I really don't need him since I tend to get a strong starter. This year it was Ryan Fitzpatrick to back up Roethlisberger, but I could have waited 3 rounds and grabbed Colt McCoy or Campbell. Didn't love any of the RBs or WRs on the board there, but I liked them a lot more when I saw what was left at my next pick.

As for Davis, I do think he's set for a great year, but I could have had something like Kenny Britt and Jimmy Graham instead of Vernon and Santana Moss. WR generally isn't that hard a position to fix, but I left some upside on the table going TE early.

Don't reach for a QB.

I had the second pick in a 12 team non-PPR league and drafted Ray Rice. I was targeting Mike Wallace at #23 in the 2nd round. He was drafted at #22. I panicked and took Drew Bress when there was still RB value to be had (MJD, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore). I ended up with Reggie Wayne in the 3rd round and played catch-up on RB and WR for the rest of the draft. I really planned on waiting for a QB this year(targeting Freeman and Stafford in the middle rounds) and taking Brees at #23 threw me off my game.

The QB early is the most dangerous of all blunders, cause it isn't that bad an idea at all. Getting a top QB can definitely do a lot for your team. It's just that feeling you get when 4-5 more rounds pass, and Stafford and Eli are just sitting there while your bench is one 1200-yard rusher shy of a championship. Call the QB run wrong, and you can feel pretty dumb.

Pretty happy with my draft. I guess if there's one thing...in the 6th round I passed on my 3rd WR (Harvin) to take my 4th RB (Ingram). I love Ingram, but that may haunt me...

I honestly got every guy with decent value I think, the only change i could make would be not taking greene late 2nd round and going rb/wr/wr instead of rb/rb/wr or maybe the best would have been Peterson\Nicks\Gates.

Team would be more like:

Peterson

F. Jackson or Felix or Lynch

Nicks

Wallace

Witten

vs real team of:

Peterson

Greene

Nicks

Williams (TB)

Witten

I honestly could not get a better QB than Flacco unless I reached rounds ahead.

The QB early is the most dangerous of all blunders, cause it isn't that bad an idea at all. Getting a top QB can definitely do a lot for your team. It's just that feeling you get when 4-5 more rounds pass, and Stafford and Eli are just sitting there while your bench is one 1200-yard rusher shy of a championship. Call the QB run wrong, and you can feel pretty dumb.

There's just not that big a difference between 1 and 10 when it comes to QBs. For example, in 2010

Aaron Rodgers: 3800 yards, 28 TDs, 11 INTs

Matt Ryan: 3700 yards, 28 TDs, 9 INTs

Rodgers was the 1st QB taken in my draft. Ryan was the 10th. Now I know Rodgers gives you some run ability, but still...

There's just not that big a difference between 1 and 10 when it comes to QBs. For example, in 2010

Rodgers was the 1st QB taken in my draft. Ryan was the 10th. Now I know Rodgers gives you some run ability, but still...

Thing is... Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc all performed well. Sure Matt Ryan performed well, but without looking too far into it... I would certainly guess other QBs near Ryans ADP did not put up the numbers that Ryan did.

I can just as easily have said look at the difference between Steven Jacksons numbers and Arian Fosters. Why would you take an RB when you can get another RB in the later rounds with the same numbers?

It's because they are safe picks with less chance of busting.

Taken Romo in the 4th. I normally wait on Qbs, but I really didn't like any Wrs where I was. Wrs go off the board in my league alot faster than most leagues. Should have taken Dez and got Stafford in the 6th.

Taken Romo in the 4th. I normally wait on Qbs, but I really didn't like any Wrs where I was. Wrs go off the board in my league alot faster than most leagues. Should have taken Dez and got Stafford in the 6th.

Romo in the 4th is a good pick dood. :thumbsup:

Should have grabbed Stafford as insurance.

Romo in the 4th is a good pick dood. :thumbsup:

Should have grabbed Stafford as insurance.

I am just not liking my Wr situation. I am really counting on Julio Jones this year.

DO NOT GO WR WR WR no mater what the board looks like :rolleyes:

Is QB/WR/WR/WR better or worse? From the 8 spot, i went Rodgers, Megatron, Nicks, Wallace. It's only a 10 team league so I was still able to get several serviceable RBs in Bradshaw, Greene, BJGE, Lynch, and Bush.

I wouldn't change anything from my drafts at this point.

I wouldn't have looked at the other teams rosters and thought I could get Stafford at the end of the 8th instead of picking him early 7th round because everyone else already had drafted a QB...guy behind me went QB/QB on the turn and snatched him up...I still can't believe I took my WR3 (Julio Jones) instead of making sure I got the QB1 I wanted.

Thing is... Brees, Brady, Rivers, etc all performed well. Sure Matt Ryan performed well, but without looking too far into it... I would certainly guess other QBs near Ryans ADP did not put up the numbers that Ryan did.

I can just as easily have said look at the difference between Steven Jacksons numbers and Arian Fosters. Why would you take an RB when you can get another RB in the later rounds with the same numbers?

It's because they are safe picks with less chance of busting.

Amen with the WRs... didn't like any where i was at, then i drafted bradshaw/gates coming back in 3rd and 4th... looking at my WRs now... should have at least made one of those picks a WR...

i guess we'll see how it plays out :dunno:

If this question were asked at the end of the 2010 season, someone named Foster would have gone 1.01 and Vick would have emerged from the draft stashed on everyone's bench. Both wound up being WW pickups in most leagues.

Odds are that by Tuesday we'll all be talking about some anonymous practice squad WR or RB who went totally freaking nuts over the weekend. And awaiting the MRI results on our QB1. So much for "rate my draft."

Of the 13 positions I drafted last year, I ended the season with seven still on my roster. If I could have done something differently, I guess I wouldn't have drafted the other six.

I wouldn't have looked at the other teams rosters and thought I could get Stafford at the end of the 8th instead of picking him early 7th round because everyone else already had drafted a QB...guy behind me went QB/QB on the turn and snatched him up...I still can't believe I took my WR3 (Julio Jones) instead of making sure I got the QB1 I wanted.

Ouch!....Stafford went early in both my drafts.

Is QB/WR/WR/WR better or worse? From the 8 spot, i went Rodgers, Megatron, Nicks, Wallace. It's only a 10 team league so I was still able to get several serviceable RBs in Bradshaw, Greene, BJGE, Lynch, and Bush.

I wouldn't change anything from my drafts at this point.

yeah....7 outta 10 kinda did the same stock piled hoping one or two blow up

1. (7) Andre Johnson (Hou - WR)

2. (14) Roddy White (Atl - WR)

3. (27) Vincent Jackson (SD - WR)

4. (34) DeAngelo Williams (Car - RB)

5. (47) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB)

6. (54) Matt Ryan (Atl - QB)

7. (67) Josh Freeman (TB - QB)

8. (74) Beanie Wells (Ari - RB)

9. (87) James Starks (GB - RB)

10. (94) Greg Olsen (Car - TE)

11. (107) Tim Hightower (Was - RB)

12. (114) Brandon Jacobs (NYG - RB)

13. (127) Jacoby Ford (Oak - WR)

14. (134) Neil Rackers (Hou - K)

15. (147) Atlanta (Atl - DEF)

To not waste my 4th-5th pick on Wayne and Peyton. I have Stafford and Andre Johnson as well so hopefully I survive it.