Sign in to follow this  
lagarzlebrew

Gronkowski vs Hernandez

In a ten team ppr league, and both of these guys are there for some reason. I have Owen Daniels and he might be a better long term option, but I have a roster spot open and want to pick up one of these guys. TE is required in the league...

Who do you like more for the season? I am leaning Hernandez but could be talked to the other side...

I had my waiver choice of either and took Gronk. He's become Witten like.

Soon I fear solid corners are going to be put on him, while Gronk always will contend with LBs.

AND, I had Hernandez last year...he disappeared many games.

It will be week 15 and I swear topics like this will STILL be popping up. Why you ask? Well, it's because they both hold relatively similar value although they are two totally different types of TEs. On one hand you have Gronk, the more traditional TE and the preferred RZ target. He'll put up more consistent numbers simply because he has a better chance to score a TD from week to week. Next you have Hernandez, an absolute freak of an athlete and more of a WR than a TE. His very presence on the field is one big mismatch for opposing defenses. He's more boom or bust than Gronk, being able to out produce him on any given day whilst carrying a larger amount of risk. Regardless, much like last year they will both finish rather close to one another. Personally, I prefer Hernandez because you can't and won't win fantasy football by playing it safe.

I say Gronkowski because I think he will get more looks in the Red Zone and I think he will be on the field more than Hernandez.

Gronk is the better blocker, so he's an every down TE. Everyone knows the Pats will throw at any time, but with gronk in there it keeps defenses guessing. When Henandez is on the field the Pats are screaming pass. IMO, more time on the field = more chances, especially in the red zone. I'd prefer owning Gronk.

Wasn't Hernadez on the field twice as much as Gronk last week? :music_guitarred:

Wasn't Hernadez on the field twice as much as Gronk last week? :music_guitarred:

Not at all. After looking at the tape, I have the numbers at:

Gronk = 75 of 80 snaps (only Brady had more for the skill players)

Hernandez = 66 of 80 snaps

Actually, those are not my numbers.  Those are Mike Reiss' from ESPNBoston.com

Unless you are getting points per snap....who cares who was on the field more.

Just look at the production......ill take hernandez all day. Hes a WR thats listed as a TE.

Unless you are getting points per snap....who cares who was on the field more.

Just look at the production......ill take hernandez all day. Hes a WR thats listed as a TE.

It is tough to get production if you are not on the field. That was part of Hernandez issue last year.

A couple of points:

- Hernandez was the youngest player in the NFL last season. Still has some growing up to do and he put on some weight during the offseason to help him be more durable this season. The only knock on him is that he needs to protect the ball a little better.

- Gronkowski is a great blocker and has excellent hands. He should still put up 10 TD's this season and will be very involved in the red zone looks. For TD-heavy leagues, he will be very good and probably more consistent than last season.

Bottom line. Flip a coin. It is going to depend on matchups and what the team is looking to. For teams that are going to pressure Brady, I see Gronk being a better fit. For those who can't, Hernandez will be better.

I think the both fisish in the top 10, that makes either worth a look in a 10-12 team league.. I just grabbed Hernandez off the waiver wire and plan to ride him all year long. I do agree with most that Gronk is the more consistant option but I dont see alot of low scoring games in that offence for what I assume is the number 2 or three target (hern)

did you ever think there'd be a day where we would be discussing two tight ends on the same team as probable top 10 te's?

really shows the evolution of the roll of the te these days.

Hernandez will be more consistent but Gronk will have some huge multi-touchdown games. I'd go with Hernandez in PPR and Gronk in standard scoring.

as a Pats fan, I lean towards Gronk.

The TDs are one thing - Gronk easily gets the nod there.

But Gronk is one of the trust guys with Brady - you look at who Brady goes to on third down - when it counts the most, it's Branch/Welker/and now Gronk.

Add in the fact that Hernandez has been injured/dinged and hasn't been as secure with the ball as Gronk and I just lean towards Gronk.

Gronkowski should get you 6-10 pts but Hernandez can get you 12-18 pts :unsure:

But Gronk is one of the trust guys with Brady - you look at who Brady goes to on third down - when it counts the most, it's Branch/Welker/and now Gronk.

Add in the fact that Hernandez has been injured/dinged and hasn't been as secure with the ball as Gronk and I just lean towards Gronk.

I think Brady looks to Hernandez a lot more than he looks to Gronk, except in the red zone. But I do agree that Hernandez may have an issue with ball safety. Whether it's dropping an easy catch or fumbling the ball, he might well do it one too many times and lose Brady's trust. But until then, I think he wins the targets contest.

Maybe Gronk became such a trusted guy for Brady because Hernandez was injured a lot last year. Gronk is what he is though, a prototypical TE in the NFL with good hands. But from what I saw last week in the NE no huddle, Brady would look for a mismatch and exploit it. If Hernandez draws coverage from a LB, Brady is licking his chops. Hernandez offers more mismatch potential than Gronk. He's a WR in a TE's body.

Let's not forget here, Hernandez is only in his second year. He could very easily become a favorite target for Brady, especially because he's much better than the guy who is covering him.

Let's not forget here, Hernandez is only in his second year. He could very easily become a favorite target for Brady, especially because he's much better than the guy who is covering him.

What does this matter? Gronk is in his second year as well.

Does anyone know their physical size i.e.(height, weight)? Gronkowski looks like he is huge on tv. Add that to the fact that he has better hands and he is the best option. I also own him in my league.

Does anyone know their physical size i.e.(height, weight)? Gronkowski looks like he is huge on tv. Add that to the fact that he has better hands and he is the best option. I also own him in my league.

I have Gronk but i guess he's on the sideline in awe today??

Brady looks to Hernandez's way on pretty much every passing play. He might give Wes Welker a run for his money as Brady's preferred target! :shocking:

But Gronk is a beast in the red zone.

In short, both are good plays.

thank goodness!! :doublethumbsup:

Thank The Lord!!! Keep throwing it to him Brady.

These two really are ridiculous, and impossible to really match up with both of them while Branch and Welker are on the field.

Is it possible for NE to have 2 top5 TE? :shocking:

I went with Gronk and I had a choice.

At some point I think Defenses will put a corner on Henandez. Gronk always deals with LBs and Safeties...which I like because the guy is a monster.

I lost out on Hernandez to a team with higher waiver priority last week, then got Gronk on Wednesday morning since nobody claimed him. Loving it!!!

I drafted Hernandez (to back up Finley), then I cut him for Gronkowski and then I cut him for Cam Newton. So I'm not too upset, but wish I found a way to make room for a Patriot TE.